The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 31st, 2023

kazu

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@rafinmd @durangoscots Ravens 56- Miami 19.

@ottahand7 Bye in the first round of the playoffs!  MVP Lamar!  My only regret is that I will be sailing the Drake passage during the Super Bowl.

I'm really not a football fan but the Ravens have been a tremendous asset to Baltimore.  I will continue with my purple T-shirt and Poe's Purple donut on Fridays and not watching the game to the end of the line.

Roy

• Like 13

Good Afternoon and Happy New Year's Eve!

We're in for a string of days that show clouds and sun but by the end of the week rain and even a few snowflakes are showing up. 

Today I finished "de-Christmasing" the house with everything packed up. Now to get the boxes put away and when DS comes over he'll put the tree out in the shed. 

No plans for tonight as I tend to stay home, get comfy cozy and probably won't even make midnight. 

Best wishes to all as we finish out 2023 and all the best for a brighter and better 2024. 

Karen

• Like 20

Happy New Years/Eve to all of the wonderful, wonderful people here.

we're blessed to have you in our lives this past year, may the next year be the same blessings with a few extras because we deserve them.

I arrived safely to San Diego, which completes the first leg of our journey cruise GVAUS/NZ.

I was told lots of cruisers are at this hotel; I am thinking not all are CC people.

Planning to meet up with a few RC people here for a HH. Very fun!

CC is acting funny so I'll sign off.

Take good care,

Caron

• Like 21

28 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

we're blessed to have you in our lives this past year, may the next year be the same blessings with a few extras because we deserve them.

I arrived safely to San Diego, which completes the first leg of our journey cruise GVAUS/NZ.

I was told lots of cruisers are at this hotel; I am thinking not all are CC people.

Take good care,

Caron

Thanks for letting us know you arrived safely, and thank you for answering my question on the roll call re the hotel shuttle.  Good to hear you had no problems.

According to the roll call spreadsheet, there will be 67 of us at this hotel!  

Please get some photos to share of the HH get-together tonight, see you soon. 🙂 🙂  

• Like 18

Good afternoon again.  It turned out that we went to Blythe today even though my prescriptions still have not been transferred from Texas.  I put in the request on Wednesday.  I was planning on going to Blyth on Tuesday, but I doubt the prescriptions will be ready then.  One of us has to be here Tuesday as that is the day the repaired telescope is due to arrive back from France, and someone has to sign for  it.  The telescope was shipped to us on December 19, but was stuck at Charles de Gaulle airport until yesterday.  It arrived in Memphis last night.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

The rain is pouring down here at 20.20pm.

Thank you to my lovely friends on here for your love and friendship during 2023.

Best wishes for a safe and healthy 2024 for everyone.

God bless.

Graham xx.

happy-new-year-2023-gif-18.gif

Graham, thank you for your friendship and support for us in 2023.  You are a bright spot on this thread.  I hope 2024 is the best year ever for you, Pauline and Sarah.

2 hours ago, daisybertie said:

It’s 7.15 on New Years Day morning here in Australia. I would like to wish all the Dailyites a very happy and healthy New Year. 
Reading the Daily each day has kept us all connected in the most amazing way and I feel as though we have a wonderful circle of friends.

Best wishes to everyone.

I couldn't agree with you more.  We have become friends, and when we do met on a BHB, it's like meeting a friend that we already know.  This group has made the past four years barrable for many of us.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!  And may 2024 be very good to you.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am nearly the ultimate geek when I create fleet maps.  I use 2 almost hidden windows utilities to do it.  The first is "Snip Tool" to capture the map from cruisemapper.  I save the image to a file and then edit it with "Paint".  There's a little "A" in the group of icons at the top.  I click on that and then move the mouse next to a ship, click once to open a box and type in the ship name.  There's a newer version of paint, Paint 3a that should also work.

I have no idea how I would do it on an IPAD or a phone.

Roy

Roy, thanks for sharing with us how to load and edit the maps.  I hope next year is good to you.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Working from a desktop or laptop all you need to do is place the mouse pointer on the image and right click. The menu will include copy. You can then paste into paint, or any other graphics program.

Rich, thanks for the added tip.  May 2024 treat you very well.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

IMG_8820.jpeg.099aedbd592d80a2d688650ec144e1e4.jpeg@rafinmd @durangoscots Ravens 56- Miami 19.

@ottahand7 Bye in the first round of the playoffs!  MVP Lamar!  My only regret is that I will be sailing the Drake passage during the Super Bowl.

Congratulations to the Ravens.  Whatever each of you is doing to support them, just keep doing it.  Nancy, the ships often make arrangements to air the Super Bow, but without the commercials.

58 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good afternoon dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.  

Feeling a little better, hoping to be back to normal soon.

I hope everyone here has a Happy New Year! 

I'm glad you are feeling better and hope you are well soon.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

44 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Take good care,

Caron

Caron, I'm glad you made it safely to San Diego.  Enjoy HH with the RC group.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon again.  It turned out that we went to Blythe today even though my prescriptions still have not been transferred from Texas.  I put in the request on Wednesday.  I was planning on going to Blyth on Tuesday, but I doubt the prescriptions will be ready then.  One of us has to be here Tuesday as that is the day the repaired telescope is due to arrive back from France, and someone has to sign for  it.  The telescope was shipped to us on December 19, but was stuck at Charles de Gaulle airport until yesterday.  It arrived in Memphis last night.

Graham, thank you for your friendship and support for us in 2023.  You are a bright spot on this thread.  I hope 2024 is the best year ever for you, Pauline and Sarah.

I couldn't agree with you more.  We have become friends, and when we do met on a BHB, it's like meeting a friend that we already know.  This group has made the past four years barrable for many of us.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!  And may 2024 be very good to you.

Roy, thanks for sharing with us how to load and edit the maps.  I hope next year is good to you.

Rich, thanks for the added tip.  May 2024 treat you very well.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Congratulations to the Ravens.  Whatever each of you is doing to support them, just keep doing it.  Nancy, the ships often make arrangements to air the Super Bow, but without the commercials.

I'm glad you are feeling better and hope you are well soon.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Caron, I'm glad you made it safely to San Diego.  Enjoy HH with the RC group.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda for your nice comments.

I particularly like yours, Tony's @sailingdutchyand Sandi's @StLouisCruisers port photos and interesting port descriptions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I particularly like yours, Tony's @sailingdutchyand Sandi's @StLouisCruisers port photos and interesting port descriptions.

Thank you, Graham.  I enjoy sharing my pictures since looking at them again brings back so many wonderful memories.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The fireworks have started, gun fire will start after a few more hours.  Of course, no sign of Bubbles.  

I will take the battery operated candles out of the windows tomorrow, but Christmas does not come down until the 7th. I do question the fireworks in a community that is in a drought, and has daily warnings about fire risk, but I am hearing booms from all directions.  Way too early, it's not even 7 yet....well just now it turned 7.

Before we adopted Furnando, I left the tree up, bought Valentine decorations and got it through February.  The ornaments are glass, and that would be a no with the wild fur child around. 

I had to laugh about jinxing a team.  If I root for someone in a car race, they will crash out.  This has happened since the first race I went to when I cheered for Lake Speed at the Trenton 250, and it has been the same for 40 plus years.  I have been known to cheer on drivers I don't like, but it doesn't work. (I try really hard not to cheer on drivers I like now). Which reminds me, I hope that Peacock is showing the race in Dakar again this year. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Arrived safely in SD but my next suitcase got a boo boo. Filed a claim, we will see what comes of it. IMG_1761.thumb.jpeg.6edd370a757a2211ec27f1ca9e16fdae.jpeg

Lorraine, I'm glad you arrived safely in San Diego.  I'm sorry about that big dent in your suitcase.  Maybe some at the hotel or on the ship could push it more or less back into shape.  The guys on the ship  can do wonders with a lot of things.

Lenda

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Absolutely stunning fireworks display at the moment in London.

I agree, I was watching it live on my SKY news app. I hope you and Pauline and Sarah have a wonderful new year. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 1ANGELCAT said:

I agree, I was watching it live on my SKY news app. I hope you and Pauline and Sarah have a wonderful new year. 

Thank you so much.

I hope you and your family also have a wonderful New year.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

White Rabbit 🐇 White Rabbit 🐰 White Rabbit 🐇.

It stopped raining around 2 hours ago and quite a few fireworks were set off at midnight.

It is currently 00.54am here in the UK.

I hope everyone in the US and Canada enjoy your New year's eve celebrations.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I can't remember the last time I stayed up until midnight on New Year's Eve, but we'll have our champagne tonight and celebrate early!  Since our area always has a TON of fireworks on New Year's Eve I may be awake, but at least in bed.

This is our last full day at home before the GANZ, so lots to do.  DS will pick us up tomorrow and take us to our airport hotel, we fly out Tuesday morning at 9.

I'm sure I would like the wine and probably the drink, but will pass on the spicy meal.  Don't need heartburn along with all the fireworks LOL!  Tonight will be pork chops and the last of the produce -- I can't believe I was able to make all the food last long enough but not too long.  This may be a first for me. 😅 I had thought I'd be giving food to my neighbor, but it looks like we'll eat it all! 

We will be in Fanning Island on January 15 -- thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great photos.  We're bringing things to donate too so I hope we're able to tender in.  Apparently the ship has items from the last cruise that couldn't tender in too.

It's exciting to hear that @durangoscots is in San Diego and that @cruising sister and @Cruisercl will be there soon.  Please post photos of any get-togethers for those of us who haven't gotten there 🙂  See you soon!

Sandi @StLouisCruisers That stocking will be beautiful!  I'm always excited to start a new project, especially beautiful ones like this.  I'll be bringing a large project with me on the cruise (a scene in Europe) -- we'll see how far I get 😉  I hope to at least get a good start on it.  

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

Edited to add that I didn't have to prove I'm human.  But I never log out of CC.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos of Fanning Island today, and hope you have no problems reaching their shores on your cruise.  And I wanted to mention I have taken my projects on many cruises and often stitch with other crafters on the longer voyages.  I meet a lot of nice people that way.

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I'm back, I got gas, the needed groceries and grabbed some great dark chocolate covered gingerbread (soft) cookies.  I didn't need them, but they are so good.  I love a cookie, that is a) covered in chocolate and b) takes more than two bites to eat.  Today starts my favorite sandwiches day.  Nothing fancy being served here.  Just well loved sandwiches that I don't get very often.

@RMLincoln Do you know what is causing your DH's eye problems?  Chuck's started after his last surgery to unroll his lower eyelid after an infection caused the lower lid to roll under.  He lost all his lashes due to chemo, and they have not grown back, and he did a second operation to open the eyes wider, as his upper lid was affecting his vision. He asked the doc to work on his blind eye too, so that he looked more balanced.  After his oncologist told him to not work on the right side where the cancer is.  Do you ever have days you could just scream?  

I seem to have had a lot of days this year, when I scream like a banshee.  It appears that I have not been patient or particularly kind this year.  I try.  I guess this years resolution, is to keep my mouth shut, until i go outside in the far back of the yard.  

@dfishI read the book years ago, after going to see an IMAX film on Shackleton, and an exhibit at the Science museum.  He became my hero.  I did enjoy the film.  But, it did make me feel colder.  And yes, amazing that all the men survived.

Once again it appears that what I am sending you all- you actually have to open. Make sure your sound is on.

https://jlcards.com/s0kX3m

Thank you for that beautiful and timely ecard.  We appreciate it, and your friendship here on the Daily!

7 hours ago, 0106 said:

With all the wonderful pictures of Antarctica and talk of the Endurance documentary…I just finished this excellent book about the Belgica’s voyage.  They over wintered in the ice 17 years before Shackleton on the Endurance.IMG_8811.thumb.jpeg.3ff564ba3913ea336415c653469c4aa8.jpeg

I've put that book on hold at my library for my Kindle.  It should be in my hands within two weeks.  Thanks for the suggestion!

7 hours ago, superoma said:

Just put a hold on this from my local library. I always appreciate your book info. Now to get thru the six books in my basket before this one shows up for pickup! At least the library is closed for two days so it won’t begin its journey to me before Tuesday. I read two books yesterday. A James Patterson “Alex cross must die” where I was pleased to find a reference to “my octopus teacher”, a Netflix documentary we enjoyed and a reference to Jameson black barrel Irish whiskey, which I can attest was very smooth and good. I got a small bottle in my stocking.  The other book was an eBook, eat and get gas, a Vietnam era family (dysfunctional) story. 

I had the Alex Cross Must Die book request at our library, but when it came they still didn't have a Kindle version out.  I know there IS a Kindle version and can't figure out why they don't offer it yet.  I'll keep an eye on it and request it again when they do decide to purchase the Kindle version.  It's for DH.

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Superb photos Sandi.

Thank you for sharing.

You're welcome Graham.  I'm glad you enjoyed them.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks once again, Graham!  I know we all enjoy showing them to others who are interested in seeing new places.

29 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

The fireworks have started, gun fire will start after a few more hours.  Of course, no sign of Bubbles.  

I will take the battery operated candles out of the windows tomorrow, but Christmas does not come down until the 7th. I do question the fireworks in a community that is in a drought, and has daily warnings about fire risk, but I am hearing booms from all directions.  Way too early, it's not even 7 yet....well just now it turned 7.

Before we adopted Furnando, I left the tree up, bought Valentine decorations and got it through February.  The ornaments are glass, and that would be a no with the wild fur child around. 

I had to laugh about jinxing a team.  If I root for someone in a car race, they will crash out.  This has happened since the first race I went to when I cheered for Lake Speed at the Trenton 250, and it has been the same for 40 plus years.  I have been known to cheer on drivers I don't like, but it doesn't work. (I try really hard not to cheer on drivers I like now). Which reminds me, I hope that Peacock is showing the race in Dakar again this year. 

I hadn't heard a peep here until I read your post, then removed my earbuds (listening to a Hallmark Christmas movie), and began to hear some firecrackers.  The fireworks usually start around 9 pm here.  Good luck getting through this night!

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you so much.

I hope you and your family also have a wonderful New year.

Happy new year to you, Pauline and Sarah!  You all deserve the best 2024!

This morning after I posted about going out for Christmas lights for my poor tree, we decided to head out and get it done.  I bought 4 more boxes (I had one unused box of lights), so 500 total mini lights (colored, not white).  We came home and had lunch and then I started removing the ornaments so I could put new lights on.  Still had the top half of the 4.5 foot tree lit.  What an ordeal!  My back was aching afterwards.  Then I started adding the ornaments back since we store the tree fully decorated and put in a closet under the stairs.  All of a sudden the lights on the back side of the top of the tree were out too!  I was cursing under my breath!  I had no lights left and had to then rearrange some of the ones already placed to cover that area.  With my luck the front, top of the tree will go out tonight!!  What are the chances they would all go out at nearly the same time??  DH says we should have just bought a new tree!  Pre-lit of course!  Hoping for better luck in 2024!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos of Fanning Island today, and hope you have no problems reaching their shores on your cruise.  And I wanted to mention I have taken my projects on many cruises and often stitch with other crafters on the longer voyages.  I meet a lot of nice people that way.

Thank you for that beautiful and timely ecard.  We appreciate it, and your friendship here on the Daily!

I've put that book on hold at my library for my Kindle.  It should be in my hands within two weeks.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I had the Alex Cross Must Die book request at our library, but when it came they still didn't have a Kindle version out.  I know there IS a Kindle version and can't figure out why they don't offer it yet.  I'll keep an eye on it and request it again when they do decide to purchase the Kindle version.  It's for DH.

You're welcome Graham.  I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Thanks once again, Graham!  I know we all enjoy showing them to others who are interested in seeing new places.

I hadn't heard a peep here until I read your post, then removed my earbuds (listening to a Hallmark Christmas movie), and began to hear some firecrackers.  The fireworks usually start around 9 pm here.  Good luck getting through this night!

Happy new year to you, Pauline and Sarah!  You all deserve the best 2024!

This morning after I posted about going out for Christmas lights for my poor tree, we decided to head out and get it done.  I bought 4 more boxes (I had one unused box of lights), so 500 total mini lights (colored, not white).  We came home and had lunch and then I started removing the ornaments so I could put new lights on.  Still had the top half of the 4.5 foot tree lit.  What an ordeal!  My back was aching afterwards.  Then I started adding the ornaments back since we store the tree fully decorated and put in a closet under the stairs.  All of a sudden the lights on the back side of the top of the tree were out too!  I was cursing under my breath!  I had no lights left and had to then rearrange some of the ones already placed to cover that area.  With my luck the front, top of the tree will go out tonight!!  What are the chances they would all go out at nearly the same time??  DH says we should have just bought a new tree!  Pre-lit of course!  Hoping for better luck in 2024!

Thank you Sandi.

Happy new year to yourself, Dennis and all of your family.

I hope your granddaughter is feeling okay after her recent robbery.

Sorry to hear about your tree lights and hope no more go off and your backache has eased.🤞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My New Year's resolution is to finish a Christmas stocking for my DGD's future husband Chris.  hey will wed on Sept. 14, 2024.  I am going to start it today!  Wish me luck!

They picked a good day to get married.  It will be our 50th anniversary.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Sandi!  I also have taken my counted cross-stitch on many cruises.  We also had a crafters group on the Voyage of the Vikings, and will have one on the GANZ too.  Since we'll have a lot of sea days I should be able to make some progress -- at least I hope so!

• Like 12

Happy New Year everyone!   I truly appreciate everyone on the Daily. 

I won't make it to midnight unless the Vikings have a turnaround and it goes to overtime.  Or...... we have never stayed in a hotel on NYE unless partying so maybe our "neighbors" will keep us up. We are supposedly so close to Disney we should hear their fireworks.  It will be nice to check the daily in the morning after tomorrow.  Our final leg to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.  Park the truck 15 miles from the port and Uber to our hotel.   We always arrive 2 days ahead in case of contingencies.   

The fireworks have begun.  Cheers!  🍾

IMG_1402.jpg

• Like 16