Disappointed on Silver Nova.

joutvs

We returned from Moon on the 22. December.  One morning my husband had gone to a lecture and I had gone to Dolce Vita where it invited guests to have coffee with the officers  

i have not come across this before and presumably guests and officers had not either as very few of them there.   The hotel manager was and came to join me.   We chatted generally and she asked which lines we had travelled on when I said we had done around 70 cruises.   I  told her some of them and said we had decided earlier this year there were now only two cruiselines which interested us - Silversea and Oceania which both had strengths and weaknesses though actually not many in either case.  They were both excellent lines - SS strongest strength was definitely service and crew, Oceania’s was food which now seemed a weakness on SS since our cruises (3) last year on Spirit.  We talked a little about this and she said did I mind if she phoned to ask the food and beverage manager to come up to talk to me.

She asked him to talk to me, write down what I said and have a meeting with her later.  

He was a little defensive and I must say I felt a bit sorry for him and I was trying to put things as tactfully as possible, but I said we found the quality of the meat was not always as we had found it previously and that at some meals it was tough and/or tasteless.   He said he had been with SS for many years and that the suppliers had not changed and that he ordered the food.I could not bring myself to ask if the budget had been cut, or indeed not raised with the cost of food increases, and the much dearer fares.  He would not have told me anyway, but they know the answers to that.  I said instead that it must be the preparation.at fault.  I gave him some examples, and also said I felt Atlantide service had deteriorated, and our displeasure at the small menus at La Terraza.  I praised highly the salt kitchen, its food preparation, staff and excellent maitre’d.   The Maitre’d told me the next day that the hotel director and food and beverage manager told had visited for dinner the previous evening.  (he did not know I had been talking to them, or if he did they told him

I agree with the above comments that if we want the old standards back talking to those in charge is the way to go.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mancunian said:

We returned from Moon on the 22. December.  One morning my husband had gone to a lecture and I had gone to Dolce Vita where it invited guests to have coffee with the officers  

i have not come across this before and presumably guests and officers had not either as very few of them there.   The hotel manager was and came to join me.   We chatted generally and she asked which lines we had travelled on when I said we had done around 70 cruises.   I  told her some of them and said we had decided earlier this year there were now only two cruiselines which interested us - Silversea and Oceania which both had strengths and weaknesses though actually not many in either case.  They were both excellent lines - SS strongest strength was definitely service and crew, Oceania’s was food which now seemed a weakness on SS since our cruises (3) last year on Spirit.  We talked a little about this and she said did I mind if she phoned to ask the food and beverage manager to come up to talk to me.

She asked him to talk to me, write down what I said and have a meeting with her later.  

He was a little defensive and I must say I felt a bit sorry for him and I was trying to put things as tactfully as possible, but I said we found the quality of the meat was not always as we had found it previously and that at some meals it was tough and/or tasteless.   He said he had been with SS for many years and that the suppliers had not changed and that he ordered the food.I could not bring myself to ask if the budget had been cut, or indeed not raised with the cost of food increases, and the much dearer fares.  He would not have told me anyway, but they know the answers to that.  I said instead that it must be the preparation.at fault.  I gave him some examples, and also said I felt Atlantide service had deteriorated, and our displeasure at the small menus at La Terraza.  I praised highly the salt kitchen, its food preparation, staff and excellent maitre’d.   The Maitre’d told me the next day that the hotel director and food and beverage manager told had visited for dinner the previous evening.  (he did not know I had been talking to them, or if he did they told him

I agree with the above comments that if we want the old standards back talking to those in charge is the way to go.

Sharing is caring and as you mentioned speaking and making notes to management is a way of giving our points of views.  

I did spoke to the food and beverage manager about the lack of options in la terraza for lunches, the bad quality of burgers, the sadness of having cold items delivered in suite dinning. He told me nothing has changed made a few notes, apologized and left. 

For us the Nova was just another cruise. Silversea did nothing to deliver a luxury experience, despite the basic amenities of a luxurious suite. Name acknowledge was not there, Feeling a personalized experience at dinner was not there. Not a single night on Atlántide the servers introduced themself, explained the menu of recommended items. The service was rushed with slow delivery. 

One day I was by the pool and I asked for the possibility of ordering a pizza and have it deliver. The answer was “NO”. On our last crystal cruise just 2 weeks before the “Silver Nova”  this happened without questions, even the burgers were delivered to us. 

We put money and effort on this vacations because we like to experience quality over quantity. Silversea is loosing the line. 

• Like 2

SS has added quite a few ships in the recent past.  With Covid decreasing the available staff pool for hire and the veterans being spread too thinly among the ships just wondering if that’s part of the problem.  Seems to be more than a few training issues at work here.  Too rapid growth can certainly affect corporate culture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

SS has added quite a few ships in the recent past.  With Covid decreasing the available staff pool for hire and the veterans being spread too thinly among the ships just wondering if that’s part of the problem.  Seems to be more than a few training issues at work here.  Too rapid growth can certainly affect corporate culture.

New staff wasn’t the issue on the Nova on 12/19, mge overpromised amenities that took  up staff time ie room service stuff, that took away from main dining!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:53 PM, Brad1185 said:

I appreciate your review. Your comments are becoming the norm. I hope SS can react and make the appropriate changes otherwise they will be turning off a lot of their passengers.  

the SS executive staff should go on Viking and Oceania and see how these 2 cruise lines are providing a quality product for their passengers.

It’s becoming apparent that RCI bean counters are taking away the quality that people expect on SS and if this continues will hurt SS financially in the future. 

Viking and Oceania are way below SS.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

I hope that’s the case. After reading comments here it sounds like Carnival is way above SS. 

Having been on both, I know which one is way better. Maybe you need to try both and then decide!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad1185 said:

I hope that’s the case. After reading comments here it sounds like Carnival is way above SS. 

I've noticed some of your comments over the past few months and just took the time to look through a number of them again. If I am correct your first cruise on Silversea is booked for October later this year? With sincere respect I would carefully look at whether you really want to do it. I think that it is going to be very hard for you to enjoy it. As you are pleased with Oceania and Viking I would certainly consider those very good lines. Of course, a factor is whether you can get a refund still. Of course, just my humble opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 1/3/2024 at 3:46 PM, pavementends said:

I haven't been on OP's voyage but I just got off of a Viking cruise. No, Viking does not provide a product superior to the one I experienced on Silversea cruises. One 6 months ago.

My experience on Viking Ocean is a significant lack of personal service, however, I found that onboard management was very willing to attempt to rectify deficiencies.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:53 PM, joutvs said:

Not a fruit expert but I’m in food and beverage industry. You can know when a fruit has been frozen and reused more than 2 times. Not that is bad just not fresh and the taste and texture is different. 

I too am in the food industry- have been all my working life. I have no idea about the mango on your cruise, but we sailed Nova for 16 nights Nov/Dec and this definitely was not the case. All the fruit was amazing quality. In fact, all the food in the restaurants was first class. 
It was only our second Silversea cruise and we’re unable to compare with the other equivalent cruise lines, but we are extremely happy with everything. I really don’t understand how much luxury people want/expect. We’re booked on 3 more Silversea cruises - and are really looking forward to sailing the Moon and the brand new Ray. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:36 AM, ronrick1943 said:

We just got off the Nova, loved the ship and the staff.  Just didn’t WOW me as a luxury line.

Am I missing something? What did you expect that was lacking as far as luxury is concerned? We found that everyone bent over backwards to ensure luxury. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 8:43 PM, joutvs said:

Sharing is caring and as you mentioned speaking and making notes to management is a way of giving our points of views.  

I did spoke to the food and beverage manager about the lack of options in la terraza for lunches, the bad quality of burgers, the sadness of having cold items delivered in suite dinning. He told me nothing has changed made a few notes, apologized and left. 

For us the Nova was just another cruise. Silversea did nothing to deliver a luxury experience, despite the basic amenities of a luxurious suite. Name acknowledge was not there, Feeling a personalized experience at dinner was not there. Not a single night on Atlántide the servers introduced themself, explained the menu of recommended items. The service was rushed with slow delivery. 

One day I was by the pool and I asked for the possibility of ordering a pizza and have it deliver. The answer was “NO”. On our last crystal cruise just 2 weeks before the “Silver Nova”  this happened without questions, even the burgers were delivered to us. 

We put money and effort on this vacations because we like to experience quality over quantity. Silversea is loosing the line. 

I’m just catching up on this thread hence several comments. 

Can I just say, that if I’d seen people eating pizzas and burgers by the pool I would’ve been less than happy and assumed I was not on a luxury cruise. If people are doing that on Crystal, I’m glad we decided that it’s not a company we would book (we were booked and weeks away from a Crystal cruise when it went into liquidation). 
Obviously our views are very different. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HPfoodie said:

Can I just say, that if I’d seen people eating pizzas and burgers by the pool I would’ve been less than happy and assumed I was not on a luxury cruise. If people are doing that on Crystal, I’m glad we decided that it’s not a company we would book (we were booked and weeks away from a Crystal cruise when it went into liquidation). 

Are you saying that eating a burger or a pizza should be forbidden on a luxury cruise ship or am I reading your comment incorrectly????

1 minute ago, A Tucson Guy said:

re you saying that eating a burger or a pizza should be forbidden on a luxury cruise ship or am I reading your comment incorrectly????

No I’m absolutely not saying that. Just the comment about being by the pool on a sunbed (which is how I interpreted the original comment) and ordering it to be delivered to you there. I love pizza, and a burger. 😀

2 minutes ago, HPfoodie said:

No I’m absolutely not saying that. Just the comment about being by the pool on a sunbed (which is how I interpreted the original comment) and ordering it to be delivered to you there. I love pizza, and a burger. 😀

Thank you for clarifying for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HPfoodie said:

My comment was towards the ability of meeting my expectations and needs. You can have a burger by the pool at any land base resort like the Fours Seasons, Ritz-Carlton Carlton, Mandarin Oriental… etc, I have done it. 

I’m very sure of my expectations. I have been on mass market lines and indeed the get your food and sit by the pool is nothing “luxurious” but on Crystal “I” was asked if I needed something at my “sun bed” and  if I ordered a burger it was delivered in all means of luxury plated and served up to my needs. If your standard of luxury is leaving your comfort and moving to a seat table because is more formal, then you a missing my point.  I love formality but there’s a difference between formality and making the imposible to deliver something to me without questions on my time and without my effort, and that’s “service” 

Luxury is not a nice table at a restaurant there’s more elements attached and from my personal experience I got more essentials of luxury at crystal.

2 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

Am I missing something? What did you expect that was lacking as far as luxury is concerned? We found that everyone bent over backwards to ensure luxury. 

You’re right about the staff, however service should be the same from start to finish and it wasn’t though out the ship.  They run out of staples more than once, service at The Art’s Cafe was great some days and other days counter service.  We had a few cold meals that should have been hot. Butler’s were good but not great.  And yes fresh fruit was not quality when it arrived in your room.  I could go on, but if it was “LUXURY “ I wouldn’t have to say a thing. ANd others wouldn’t be writing the same……..

Edited by ronrick1943

I just posted my three-star review on the Nova. My wife and I took a 10-day trip out of Monte Carlo and a bad experience started once we landed in France. The pre and post-cruise experience was just bad due to a lack of coordination on SilverSea's part, especially the zero coordination and information in Monte Carlo. Add a day lost due to a surprise US Coast Guard test for electrical and fire drills, a tender  losing an engine and two nights of lost sleep due to pipes banging in the walls until our butler had maintenance take the ceiling and wall panels down to address the issue, it wasn't the trip we were expecting. Yes, new ship but had a Carnival cruise line experience. (My apologies to Carnival).

I am done with SilverSea.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:50 PM, DCCruiser57 said:

Viking and Oceania are way below SS.

This was not our impression after sailing twice on SS and 4 times on O. We found the service comparable, food excellent on both but personally I liked O food better. To me SS is a very small step up compared to O, and not necessarily worth the significant extra cost.

22 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This was not our impression after sailing twice on SS and 4 times on O. We found the service comparable, food excellent on both but personally I liked O food better. To me SS is a very small step up compared to O, and not necessarily worth the significant extra cost.

I follow your comments, on our last Oceania cruise on riviera the food was very good and the variety and selections were better. 

2 hours ago, captain5 said:

I just posted my three-star review on the Nova. My wife and I took a 10-day trip out of Monte Carlo and a bad experience started once we landed in France. The pre and post-cruise experience was just bad due to a lack of coordination on SilverSea's part, especially the zero coordination and information in Monte Carlo. Add a day lost due to a surprise US Coast Guard test for electrical and fire drills, a tender  losing an engine and two nights of lost sleep due to pipes banging in the walls until our butler had maintenance take the ceiling and wall panels down to address the issue, it wasn't the trip we were expecting. Yes, new ship but had a Carnival cruise line experience. (My apologies to Carnival).

I am done with SilverSea.

I would be interested in the details of your pre and post cruise experience but your review has not yet appeared.  We have booked SS D2D for the first time and have never utilized SS hotels before.  On an upcoming cruise the SS hotels are not in the category we would normally book and I am now a little bit concerned about SS ability to manage the logistics.  Any info about that would be appreciated.

Could anyone who has sailed Nova tell us what the large square white boxes showing on the port side of the passenger decks are?  There is an irregularly shaped white area aft on the starboard side as well.  Just wondering if there is anything to be concerned about (noise or corridor traffic). 

IMG_6809.jpeg

57 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Could anyone who has sailed Nova tell us what the large square white boxes showing on the port side of the passenger decks are?  There is an irregularly shaped white area aft on the starboard side as well.  Just wondering if there is anything to be concerned about (noise or corridor traffic). 

IMG_6809.jpeg

I haven’t been on the Nova so can’t directly say what is specifically in those areas but typically they are service, storage, or crew quarters.  We have had such spaces on other Silversea ships and quite frankly prefer being next to one rather than an occupied passenger cabin.  No loud conversations, no banging of doors, no noisy television or music, etc.  The crew and staff are typically extremely quiet in those areas and it has never been a problem or issue.  

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 1