Express boarding , is that new?

16 minutes ago, shof515 said:

yes it is something new, its new skip the line feature that royal been testing the past few months on various ships

🤣What's the $ cost.

Wasn't available on my December Harmony sail.

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

How does it differ from the normal check-in.

I guess they will have multiple lines that says express = scan n go

my friends who are traveling with me don’t have the express but I do. Not sure if diamond status have anything to do with it 

1 hour ago, mcatmcat said:

I guess they will have multiple lines that says express = scan n go

my friends who are traveling with me don’t have the express but I do. Not sure if diamond status have anything to do with it 

That could be...might speed it up using scan n go.

As far as being diamond - not likely.  Everyone and their brother is diamond...probably be the longest line.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We received this on our Oasis cruise out of Miami last month.  It was kind of exciting, when I finished answering the health questions, balloons floated across the page along with confetti and the page said congratulations, you have been selected for express boarding.  Instructions were to follow the signs.  There was no one in front of us at the express boarding sign, we were quickly scanned and directed to security which also had no line.  We went upstairs and were seated, I was expecting that was it as far as express but we boarded after pinnacle, suites and key.  We were on the ship at 1040. 

I was told they are testing this at the new terminal in Miami in preparation for Icon.

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

It's probably something they're hoping to charge for further down the line and they're testing it out for free first to see if they can make it work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

It's probably something they're hoping to charge for further down the line and they're testing it out for free first to see if they can make it work.

And to get people to see how nice it is so they're willing to pay for it. Kinda like how early on, PreCheck would get randomly given to people - seemed to be a lot at airports where TSA is notoriously long (looking at you MCO...I got it randomly so many times leaving there) - so they'd see how much easier it was and be willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

Just now, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And to get people to see how nice it is so they're willing to pay for it. Kinda like how early on, PreCheck would get randomly given to people - seemed to be a lot at airports where TSA is notoriously long (looking at you MCO...I got it randomly so many times leaving there) - so they'd see how much easier it was and be willing to pay for it.

I didn’t know about the pre check but, yes, that's exactly what was going through my mind.

My husband found a video -- sorry, don't know where he found it.  Apparently the author of the video had the Express Pass for a current cruise and while boarding he spoke to someone in IT:  

- People who are getting the Express Pass are those who are "easy":  American citizens traveling with a passport.  

- The author reported that his party arrived at the terminal at 10:05 and by 10:20 they were through the check-in /sitting in the chairs waiting for boarding to begin. 

- The author reported that people who purchased The Key and suite guests were allowed through first.  Express Pass people were second, and (as indicated by the name) they were FAST getting through.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I didn’t know about the pre check but, yes, that's exactly what was going through my mind.

Yeah. Early on it would get randomly given to people. I haven't heard about it as much since more people have gotten it - but I took advantage of a deal United had a few years ago to use miles for the payment and I've had it ever since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

TSA is notoriously long (looking at you MCO...I got it randomly so many times leaving there) - so they'd see how much easier it was and be willing to pay for it.

TSA pre check is worth every penny.  We have to fly to all of our cruises and we appreciate it so much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tlbecker1 said:

TSA pre check is worth every penny.  We have to fly to all of our cruises and we appreciate it so much.

Absolutely. When I got it, I was heavily into run-walk and did at least one Run Disney weekend a year plus other trips to and from MCO and especially at that airport it is WELL worth it!!

• Like 1

On Liberty out of Cape Liberty this past October there was a suite luggage drop off designated area in front of the terminal. Our luggage was at our cabin very quickly when the cabins were available. 

We had gotten an email from the SL Concierge (Jayson) telling us of this new perk.

Hoping they offer this at other terminals...it was nice.

• Like 1