Thumbs Down on HAL Customer Service

7 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Do you still have the App on your phone?  Then go to "Account" > "Statement" and you should find your recent statement.  It becomes available a few days after disembarking.

Oh my - I feel silly now.  You are right - the statement and past voyage are now showing up in the app.  Still not in my web account, which is odd.  But thank you for directing me back to the app.

1 minute ago, Frustratedfirsttimer said:

Oh my - I feel silly now.  You are right - the statement and past voyage are now showing up in the app.  Still not in my web account, which is odd.  But thank you for directing me back to the app.

Not silly at all.  The whole thing is counter-intuitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frustratedfirsttimer said:

While we enjoyed the service while onboard, post-cruise customer service has been disappointing and frustrating.

I am the OP. That is the whole point of my post. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information. I have found what I needed on the navigator App.  The App did not have anything listed until recently, so I stopped checking.  I was used to getting a statement the last night of the cruise which I miss.  I also miss the daily towel animals.

I have not heard anything back from my email to guest relations yet, but it has only been 5 days. 

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

That you will willingly condone poor service is, as you state, your choice.  Surely you understand though that not everyone will condone such poor service.  I have wondered over the years why is it that HAL simply won't fix this accounting problem, as it has been a long time problem with HAL.  Perhaps it's because there are more people who do nothing about it and accept poor service than people like the OP who stand up and say that I won't accept poor service.

Yes.  Yes it is.  If the OP and you want to die on an $11 hill go for it.  But I won't.  Life is too short for me to spend time, energy, and stress over $11.  Note that I never said what HE should do, just what I would do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yes.  Yes it is.  If the OP and you want to die on an $11 hill go for it.  But I won't.  Life is too short for me to spend time, energy, and stress over $11.  Note that I never said what HE should do, just what I would do.

I think what bothers people about responses like yours is they aren’t really helpful and don’t provide the OP with anything useful. He’s indicated that he is bothered by being overcharged. Telling him it doesn’t bother you enough to have your money taken to try and get a refund isn’t helping him. It reminds me of all of the useless comments after the Covid shutdown when guests didn’t want to just accept FCC and wanted refunds and people told them they should be happy with FCC because they were. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Our TA once said to me not to stress over things like this, just turn it over to him after the cruise to let him handle it.

THIS!!! ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Aside from a handful of helpful posters, there are far too many who chime in with ZERO knowledge or constructive information to the OP.

I have been overcharged post-cruise more times than I can count, and it's frankly annoying as hell!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

I think what bothers people about responses like yours is they aren’t really helpful and don’t provide the OP with anything useful. He’s indicated that he is bothered by being overcharged. Telling him it doesn’t bother you enough to have your money taken to try and get a refund isn’t helping him. It reminds me of all of the useless comments after the Covid shutdown when guests didn’t want to just accept FCC and wanted refunds and people told them they should be happy with FCC because they were. 

I wasn't really trying to help him, I was giving my perspective.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, julia said:

I have been overcharged post-cruise more times than I can count, and it's frankly annoying as hell!  

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a "post-cruise" overcharge. If you walk off the ship with a balance, you are charged that balance, right? I know what that balance is. Do I have to start taking a screen shot of my bill before I get off a HAL ship?

I seem to be missing an important detail here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Do I have to start taking a screen shot of my bill before I get off a HAL ship?

Because we don't have smartphones, I do take a photo of the TV screen that shows our balance just before we get off the ship. Also, I use "Print as PDF" to get the details of our account on the PC version of Navigator. Unlike the smartphone version, Navigator's PC version isn't available once off the ship. Otherwise, I would go to Guest Services and have them print a copy of our account the night before we disembark.

The OP indicated he was told it could take 10-12 weeks for HAL to respond to his inquiry about the overcharge. That’s just unacceptable and not coincidental the time window given to dispute a credit card charge (most credit cards only allow a dispute for charges made within 3 billing cycles).

So, upon receipt of such a notice I would immediately dispute the charge and protect my right to dispute it by doing so. If the credit card company asks if you tried to resolve it say yes, but was told it would take longer than the dispute window allows for them to respond. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

So, upon receipt of such a notice I would immediately dispute the charge and protect my right to dispute it by doing so. If the credit card company asks if you tried to resolve it say yes, but was told it would take longer than the dispute window allows for them to respond. 

Doing a credit card dispute is in essence a “nuclear option.” In this case, not worth the effort. In a more recent one, might be the solution. I returned a $500 product to the vendor with their RMA. Received an email that my refund would be delayed. After a couple of weeks and a promise that the refund would be received, I told the vendor on Friday, if I don’t see the refund in a week, I will file a dispute, one that I will easily win, having all the documentation that the item was returned.

16 minutes ago, WVU_Neal said:

Doing a credit card dispute is in essence a “nuclear option.” In this case, not worth the effort.

From my experience, filing a dispute is perhaps a two minute effort......I click the transaction in online banking and complete the form and attach my documents.  Done.  

For me, the "back and forth" and waiting for the merchant to do the right thing is not worth the effort. 

No more drama.  The pros handle it and I get a confirmation letter or two. 

Good luck and keep us updated on how/when/if HAL responds. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

From my experience, filing a dispute is perhaps a two minute effort......I click the transaction in online banking and complete the form and attach my documents.  Done.  

For me, the "back and forth" and waiting for the merchant to do the right thing is not worth the effort. 

No more drama.  The pros handle it and I get a confirmation letter or two. 

Good luck and keep us updated on how/when/if HAL responds. 

For most merchants that you are unlikely to do business in the future not much potential of a problem. After all if they stop doing business with you just find another one.

With a cruise line are you willing to risk getting on their do not sail list? It does happen a friend of mines son is banned from Princess because he filed a CC dispute over an issue that Princess felt was an abuse of the system.

Business have to leave a percentage of funds processed with the CC company to for disputes. The more disputes filed the higher that amount is. 

Disputes should be a last resort option, not a first resort option.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TRLD said:

For most merchants that you are unlikely to do business in the future not much potential of a problem. After all if they stop doing business with you just find another one.

With a cruise line are you willing to risk getting on their do not sail list? It does happen a friend of mines son is banned from Princess because he filed a CC dispute over an issue that Princess felt was an abuse of the system.

Business have to leave a percentage of funds processed with the CC company to for disputes. The more disputes filed the higher that amount is. 

If your friend’s son got banned he probably abused the system and you’re not being told the whole truth.

I have filed several disputes over the years and even had to resort to suing HAL once and am still welcomed aboard. If you have a legitimate case against them they won’t hold it against you. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

If your friend’s son got banned he probably abused the system and you’re not being told the whole truth.

I have filed several disputes over the years and even had to resort to suing HAL once and am still welcomed aboard. If you have a legitimate case against them they won’t hold it against you. 

I beieve i stated that Princess felt itvwas an abuse of the system. Know exactly what happened. He had a disagreement over a charge. Princess disagreed. He filed a dispute. Lost the dispute when Princess contested. A few months later his father tried booking an extended family cruise, Princess refused to allow his son to book.

Problem is no one knows their criteria for deciding who and when to ban.

The question of legitimate may vary between the person filing the dispute and the cruise line  That is the reason they are called disputes.  They are intended to be a last resort when other attempts are exhausted. Not as some have indicated here to be filed pretty much as an alternative to trying to work through the matter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

As I said, you are only hearing one side of the story. Your friend and his son may be telling the version that makes them the victim. Princess's version may be completely different. 

So what exactly do you think is different then Princess disagreed, contested, he lost the dispute and Princess felt it was an abuse of the system. One dispute filed after Princess told him that the charge was valid. In my opinion Princess was right based upon the cruise contract.

Edited by TRLD

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I have filed several disputes over the years and even had to resort to suing HAL once and am still welcomed aboard.

Ditto....I've filed two disputes w/HAL over the years and they were efficiently handled and both landed in my favor.....Not abusing HAL and they must not think so as I am also welcomed onboard...along with my $$$.

Both disputes were after too much time on hold with HAL, phone tag and no responses back....and that is all documented in the dispute case......I'm sure some do abuse the dispute process and I do not blame a merchant for saying "no soup for you".......but there is a difference between a legit dispute and abusive dispute......The $11 dispute seems legit to me and I'm certain HAL will not want to banish the pax from cruising again.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Agree.  

First resort is working w/HAL to get it resolved.....and the OP has done his job (IMO) of trying to get HAL's attention but it is not working and the delays are (IMO) unacceptable......It's time (IMO) to use the 2nd resort which is the benefit of paying with a credit card.....the dispute process. 

4 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Agree.  

First resort is working w/HAL to get it resolved.....and the OP has done his job (IMO) of trying to get HAL's attention but it is not working and the delays are (IMO) unacceptable......It's time (IMO) to use the 2nd resort which is the benefit of paying with a credit card.....the dispute process. 

yep there is a time and a place for disputes, but one needs to make sure that they have their documentation and have followed the process then filed the dispute at the proper point.

One other comment winning a dispute does not always mean total victory. Have not heard of any cases involving cruise lines and basically would not expect to,  but have heard of cases in other industries where people have won disputes through their CC only to have the vendor start a debt collection action, up to and including a court action.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a "post-cruise" overcharge. If you walk off the ship with a balance, you are charged that balance, right? I know what that balance is. Do I have to start taking a screen shot of my bill before I get off a HAL ship?

I seem to be missing an important detail here.

There are a number of possibles charges that can't be added to your account until after you have left the ship. For example, the restocking of your mini-fridge generally takes place after you have vacated your cabin on the final morning, and you might be well on your way to the airport before the charge for that bottle of beer you drank last night hits your account.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There are a number of possibles charges that can't be added to your account until after you have left the ship.

We've been charged post cruise for the shipment of left luggage home for someone else......We were mistakenly charged instead of the legit pax...After getting the run around from HAL and their long delays in "researching", we filed a dispute thru the credit card and the $$$ were credited back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Have not heard of any cases involving cruise lines and basically would not expect to,

Agree. Me either. 

Recommending filing a dispute w/the credit card company seems like helpful advice & possibly easy solution for the OP. (IMO)