Travel Protection

traceye

We recently had to cancel a cruise due to an illness of my elderly father. We booked vacation protection through princess cruises on both bookings (2 cabins, 4 travelers), this shows up on our booking confirmation as well. Deposit was given upon booking on one cabin, the second cabin had a promotion and no deposit was needed.  Final payment was made on time and the cruise was cancelled during the 50% cancellation schedule.  I submitted a claim to the insurance company along with Physician statement and received an email back that the vacation insurance was not purchased until the date final payment was made and that the illness was not covered because of the dates not being covered based on the final payment dates (the 60 day lookback period). We were never told that the payment for insurance needed to be made specifically for vacation protection at the time of the booking. We were not told that the deposit did not cover the payment or any other instructions that coverage would not begin unless payment was made specifically for the vacation coverage. 

Upon looking at the booking confirmation now, I see in very small print, that it states "Princess vacation protection coverage becomes effective upon payment of plan cost".  Has anyone had this happen to them? I feel as if it is a very poor, deceitful way of doing business not to specifically explain that payment needed to be made on that date.  We are VERY careful about having vacation coverage because my parents are elderly with many health concerns. I have always used an independent company for my own insurance so I did not even think about needing to pay separately for this, as I've had no experience purchasing through the cruise line.  I received SO many emails after booking about upgrading my cabin, upgrading to plus package on the cruise, book excursions, but nothing explaining the travel insurance vacation package needing payment. 

Use this as your cautionary tale for your future bookings. If you have had this happen or have experience with this, I would love to know if you have any tips for fighting this. 

• Thanks 3

Can't help you with the Princess coverage.  If declined, you might want to check with your credit card for any travel insurance benefits.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, traceye said:

We recently had to cancel a cruise due to an illness of my elderly father. We booked vacation protection through princess cruises on both bookings (2 cabins, 4 travelers), this shows up on our booking confirmation as well. Deposit was given upon booking on one cabin, the second cabin had a promotion and no deposit was needed.  Final payment was made on time and the cruise was cancelled during the 50% cancellation schedule.  I submitted a claim to the insurance company along with Physician statement and received an email back that the vacation insurance was not purchased until the date final payment was made and that the illness was not covered because of the dates not being covered based on the final payment dates (the 60 day lookback period). We were never told that the payment for insurance needed to be made specifically for vacation protection at the time of the booking. We were not told that the deposit did not cover the payment or any other instructions that coverage would not begin unless payment was made specifically for the vacation coverage. 

Upon looking at the booking confirmation now, I see in very small print, that it states "Princess vacation protection coverage becomes effective upon payment of plan cost".  Has anyone had this happen to them? I feel as if it is a very poor, deceitful way of doing business not to specifically explain that payment needed to be made on that date.  We are VERY careful about having vacation coverage because my parents are elderly with many health concerns. I have always used an independent company for my own insurance so I did not even think about needing to pay separately for this, as I've had no experience purchasing through the cruise line.  I received SO many emails after booking about upgrading my cabin, upgrading to plus package on the cruise, book excursions, but nothing explaining the travel insurance vacation package needing payment. 

Use this as your cautionary tale for your future bookings. If you have had this happen or have experience with this, I would love to know if you have any tips for fighting this. 

This sounds like the pre existing clause. Which we have never had to use, but have always been told you have to purchase at the time of booking.

Did you purchase the standard PVP or the Platinum PVP?  The platinum should be CFAR.  

I would ask the TA/CVP for clarity and also check with your Credit card company to see if you have any coverage with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Princess has a 60 day look back period from the time insurance is paid for (not added to the booking). Yes - the devil is in the details.

I have no doubt that you were not informed of the details when booking. It is included in the fine print that you have found. Insurance is so complicated and it is often difficult to figure out what situation you may encounter to see how it will be treated.

I had a parent who had major health issues. I had to make it a point to read insurance policies very carefully.

There is an insurance portion of CC. There is a guy named Steve @iamtrustworthy who understands plans inside and out. He sells insurance at https://tripinsurancestore.com . I recommend you call him when you are going to book your next trip and tell him your situation and he will advise accordingly. He also helps those who need to file claims if that situation arises. He knows the plans he sells inside and out.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your very helpful post.  I agree that larger print and some kind of better notice would be helpful.

There are 3rd party insurers that are way better at this than the cruise lines.  It is more like they are the typical insurance agents and want to do their best to limit their liability.  Fine print, indeed.

Clearly you know about better insurance, tis too bad it was not in place for this occurence.

24 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, I asked also.  Platinum would at least have CFAR.

I've never actually purchased it, but from what I read Standard should still provide 75% credit CFAR (verses 100% for Platinum)?

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 10.44.25 AM.png

33 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I've never actually purchased it, but from what I read Standard should still provide 75% credit CFAR (verses 100% for Platinum)?

Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 10.44.25 AM.png

Yes.  It seems the OP is looking for a refund and not FCC’s?

But, yes it would be 75% or 100% FCC’s. 

I would guess because of the medical the OP thought that? IDK

• Like 1