First & last NCL cruise

Obobru

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, yes, yes, to Fox's U-bet.

Once while filling in at a soda fountain, I made a lime egg cream.

You had to drink it real fast before it curdled. 🤣

In 1959 I had a part time job in a candy store making sodas .Even though we sold chocolate and vanilla ,only the traditional chocolate was requested.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:01 PM, oteixeira said:

Honestly this is like judging RCCL on Grandeur.  You can do it, but you really have no idea what the line is like based on the ship you were on.  Sorry, but the ship does matter.  

Funny. Grandeur was my favorite ship on RCCL. I say “was” because it’s been a hot minute or 50 since I last cruised on RCCL...but you’d never catch me on Icon or any of those mega ships. We took one of them (Vision of the Seas, I believe), many years ago when it was one of the biggest in the world, and while the cruise was still fun, I decided then and there I’d leave the megaships to others and stick to something a little smaller. So for me, yeah at the time I did judge RCCL based on Grandeur. And quite honestly, while I’d recognize the age of the ship, that shouldn’t have anything to do with the quality of the food and/or service onboard. I mean, one should be able to say “sure, this ship is not the youngest in the fleet and it doesn’t have all the bells, whistles and “newness” of say...ICON, but the service is still great and the food is good.” 

On the other hand, I do think it’s fair to say that a cruise to the Antarctic would be incredibly different from one to the Mediterranean, Caribbean or even the Mexican Riviera, regardless of the ship, and/or cruise line involved. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 11:55 AM, Obobru said:

...We have traveled with a few cruise lines and are not loyal to any but wouldn't ever travel NCL again...

Excuse me, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that someone who bases their opinion of an entire cruise line on just one ship, on one itinerary, is an experienced cruiser. Good luck on those other cruise lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

I do think it’s fair to say that a cruise to the Antarctic would be incredibly different from one to the Mediterranean, Caribbean or even the Mexican Riviera, regardless of the ship, and/or cruise line involved. 

Absolutely!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I brought copies on many cruises and gave free copies to everyone who wanted one.I signed every copy.A Rare Book dealer in NY is currently selling signed copies for $27.00 .I wonder if perhaps the books came from people who I gave copies to.

Of course, to help pay for their cruise.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Perhaps but I knew Bobby Snaider and got free syrup.

i know mr. norwegian and i get a bunch of things for free when i sail on his cruise line... he gives me free wifi and free drinks for starters. he also lets me eat at a lot of places on the ship for free, pretty much whenever i want. it's good to have friends who take care of you.

On 1/12/2024 at 8:24 PM, Fishboy1947 said:

As someone looking forward to their first NCL cruise in June, this post hasn’t been a ringing endorsement of NCL. Seems like NCL sucks in many areas but be happy you’re on vacation. 

My prior 9 cruises on Princess & Celebrity have been great with minor problems. 

I expect that I’ll feel the same about my NCL cruise. Great itinerary on Escape with grandkids.

It's all about the way you venture on to the ship. If you get onboard thinking "ugh, here I am on NCL. What fresh hell with they throw at us this time?" then your cruise is going to be not great. If you, like me, get onboard knowing you're on vacation, with your loved ones, and expect to have a great time, you'll have a great time!

We've cruised NCL five times. Every cruise has been great. Did everything go well? Nope. Did it dampen our mood? Only until the next espresso or meal...if that long. I'll continue sailing NCL, because they seem to be the best product for my husband and I. We don't dress up. We enjoy swapping our reservations, because something else comes up. We love hot tubs. And thermal suites. The food is mostly good, sometimes great. The crew are really great (sure out of 1,200 one might be a grump). 

Every live I've done, I've whined. And I get over it. Because really, was that packed theater on excursion day really that big a deal? Waiting to embark for three hours (one time, during the restart) sucked, but it was a one time thing. It was over and forgotten (by us) on the first sea day! 

Go into it expecting at least one or two minor issues? Yes! But don't be curmudgeonly like some and you'll have fun....now it is possible you'll have a terrible cruise. That would stink! Some on this thread have had terrible cruises, but still found ways to make it a good time. Don't expect a terrible cruise though. It's highly, highly, highly unlikely. 

Safe travels, clear nights, and smooth oceans to you and your grandkids! Let us know how you enjoyed it when you get back.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, UKstages said:

i know mr. norwegian and i get a bunch of things for free when i sail on his cruise line... he gives me free wifi and free drinks for starters. he also lets me eat at a lot of places on the ship for free, pretty much whenever i want. it's good to have friends who take care of you.

I think it is more likely because you live in NYC and probably have met many influential people in your lifetime as have I.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's all about the way you venture on to the ship. If you get onboard thinking "ugh, here I am on NCL. What fresh hell with they throw at us this time?" then your cruise is going to be not great. If you, like me, get onboard knowing you're on vacation, with your loved ones, and expect to have a great time, you'll have a great time!

We've cruised NCL five times. Every cruise has been great. Did everything go well? Nope. Did it dampen our mood? Only until the next espresso or meal...if that long. I'll continue sailing NCL, because they seem to be the best product for my husband and I. We don't dress up. We enjoy swapping our reservations, because something else comes up. We love hot tubs. And thermal suites. The food is mostly good, sometimes great. The crew are really great (sure out of 1,200 one might be a grump). 

Every live I've done, I've whined. And I get over it. Because really, was that packed theater on excursion day really that big a deal? Waiting to embark for three hours (one time, during the restart) sucked, but it was a one time thing. It was over and forgotten (by us) on the first sea day! 

Go into it expecting at least one or two minor issues? Yes! But don't be curmudgeonly like some and you'll have fun....now it is possible you'll have a terrible cruise. That would stink! Some on this thread have had terrible cruises, but still found ways to make it a good time. Don't expect a terrible cruise though. It's highly, highly, highly unlikely. 

Safe travels, clear nights, and smooth oceans to you and your grandkids! Let us know how you enjoyed it when you get back.

I've never cruised NCL. My first one is coming up in February. I am taking my mom in celebration of turning 80. My sister is coming along, and my two girls (one adult, one teen) are in another cabin, but also on a cruise as what I’m calling a “Girls Only” trip. My mom is beginning to show the early signs of dementia, and I am fairly sure this will be her last big trip. She’s in a cabin with both my sister and I. Luckily, her dementia is not at a point where I’m fearful of taking her (In fact she is very excited about going and still remembers what cruises are like, and is joyful that all of the girls in the family are going together) - I’m just fearful of allowing her to roam the ship alone, so she won’t be out of my sight. I’m just looking forward to trying a new cruise line, hanging out with my girls, and hopefully enjoying some time with my mom before she really begins to forget and struggle. 

I don’t think any cruise I’ve ever been on has been completely perfect, but then again - I’m on vacation, and pretty much anything will be a good time. I really do believe a lot of this is in the attitude of the cruiser. I mean, there ARE good reasons a vacation goes poorly - like a rogue wave, or being hit with a cruise-wide virus. Then there’s a whole litany of picky things, and I just don’t want those things to overshadow what is likely a great vacation. After all, I can remember a good many road trips taken with my three kids in the back of our truck while we were towing a trailer to go camping for two weeks.

Camping with kids=doing all the same things I have to do while at home, but in a LOT less space with even less privacy, and a lot more dirt. Yet, I have great memories from those trips too. 😄

I don’t think there is a single cruise line on this board that doesn’t have at least one complaint thread (unless no one has posted at all). Even lines like Seabourn...people are picky and they want perfection. 

• Like 3

Hmm. Seems like the Star, is still NOT THE Star.  The food was just plain awful, and that was a year and a half ago.  Strange, because we sailed on Spirit,the oldest ship in their fleet, last summer, and it was fabulous.   Why not just up and change the entire crew?  The Star has suffered for years.

All of my cruises to date have always been from US ports and from what I have read here is that the Star when in northern europe is better than when she is in South America, so maybe the food issues are more about what they can provision there. As for entertainment most of the cruises we have been on have had multi-cultural passengers with no change in the shows- perhaps the excuse given for the lack of comics was just that - an excuse. I plan on being on the Star in a year going to Antartica. 

23 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

All of my cruises to date have always been from US ports and from what I have read here is that the Star when in northern europe is better than when she is in South America, so maybe the food issues are more about what they can provision there. As for entertainment most of the cruises we have been on have had multi-cultural passengers with no change in the shows- perhaps the excuse given for the lack of comics was just that - an excuse. I plan on being on the Star in a year going to Antartica. 

Or...

Very few US comics want to go on a cruise to Antarctica, and spend 3 weeks away from family with minimal communications.

nope. it's an official NCL corporate policy, according to two cruise directors with whom i've discussed the issue. NCL believes that comedy doesn't "translate" well and that their international guests couldn't possibly understand english-speaking comedians.

this is silly, of course and ignores the fact that "friends" and "how i met your mother" are watched in over 100 countries.  and that netflix is streamed in over 190 countries and many of their standup specials are shown in english with subtitles. and that many people learn english as a second language by watching american sitcoms. it also ignores the fact that many of their international guests are from english speaking regions, such as the UK or australia or from regions  such as asia or south america, where most people who can afford to cruise are bi and tri-lingual. NCL's attitude regarding this issue is not very inclusive or progressive and is hopelessly mired in1980's thinking. 

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:08 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Louis Rizon shocked me with this on our cruise a month ago.  Don't miss Louis.  He's currently on holiday, but will next appear on the Escape.

He was on the Getaway this past week (1/12/24-1/17/24) and he was excellent

• Like 1

ok, i feel i need to chime in on this one. first  off, i dont consider myself a norwegian cheerleader, but for various reasons, for the past 14 years we have sailed only with norwegian. (price and itinerary have a great deal to do this this)

we have been on the star a number  of times, and are currently booked on the 17 day trans atlantic on the star.

other than the proverbial minor occurrences there is nothing that i find on my cruises on the star that i find i could really complain about.

there is really nothing major on any ncl ship i have been on, that i can complain about.

ive posted many times, im happy to be on a cruise ship, going to exotic ports, or just watching the world go by, sitting on my balcony with a cold heineken, or glass of champagne reading my kindle.

what more really could anyone ask for.

we were on the 1st (and to date i think the only star cruise from southeast asia) hong kong to singapore. According to captain, due to mechanical problems, we couldnt  land in a few ports. (taipei, hanoi, and cambodia) As a vet, i really wanted to see Hanoi. Then there was a problem with the air conditioning and condensation formed over the bed. ncl did a a great job (imho) rectifying the problem

before we left hong kong, they offered us a full refund, or in the alternative, if we decided to still sail, 50% off this cruise as a refund and 50% off a future cruise.

i dont really care about the entertainment, and on a ship with between 2000-4000+ people if youre expecting a gourmet meal, sorry about that.  some meals ive had were good, some better, and some exceptional, but i cant honestly say some were horrible or even bad. i'm still referring to the star, athough this could be applied to any ncl ship.

so, go on your cruise, have a great time, and i would be surprised (or maybe not) if you come home  and denigrate your experience.

sorry for the length of this post. while agree people have an absolute right to voice their opinions, good or bad, how can you complain about your cruise, when you're in a gondola in venice, cruising the Seine in paris, visiting the ruins in Tulum, blarney castle in ireland, etc. this is why i cruise, and i dont really care about what shows are on board, what games are available, or what food is being served. with all the choices to eat on a cruise ship, surely you can find something enjoyable to eat.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:45 PM, UKstages said:

respectfully, you've established a false equivalency.

this isn't about liking one ship or the other or one cruise lime or another.

it's about saying that people have no right to comment on the chocolate that they've just eaten, simply because they prefer the vanilla. i prefer vanilla, too, but i'm fully capable of making a. determination as to whether the chocolate is any good and if it's just as good as the chocolate they used to serve and it's perfectly OK for me to wax nostalgic about the chocolate they used to serve and lament its passing.

so, too, all opinions on NCL ships are valid, regardless of whether one had a grand time or a horrible time. if somebody had a great time and they want to disagree with somebody who didn't, that's swell... they should share their experience and not brand that person as a negative nelly who constantly complains.

fox's u-bet is traditional and is still made.

it's also a born-in-brooklyn product.

I have no Idea who came up with the name egg cream. (No eggs in it) I have never tried it but it seems like Youhoo or the fake shakes MCD sells which I do not like. but I could be wrong

25 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I have no Idea who came up with the name egg cream. (No eggs in it) I have never tried it but it seems like Youhoo or the fake shakes MCD sells which I do not like. but I could be wrong

LMAO!!!!

There are theories about the name that my grandmother told me about many years ago, as her family owned a candy store in Brooklyn almost 100 years ago. You can google the theories.

As far as them being anything like yoohoo or fake shakes from MCD, that's crazy talk!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

sorry for the length of this post. while agree people have an absolute right to voice their opinions, good or bad, how can you complain about your cruise, when you're in a gondola in venice, cruising the Seine in paris, visiting the ruins in Tulum, blarney castle in ireland, etc. this is why i cruise, and i dont really care about what shows are on board, what games are available, or what food is being served. with all the choices to eat on a cruise ship, surely you can find something enjoyable to eat.

Spend a few years touring the world on all-expense paid tours managed by the US Army and one will find few things to grip about on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

hey Rocketman. while I didn't get to "tour the world"  I was GIFTED a 1 year vacation by Uncle Sam, to a delightfully charming little country is southeast Asia, between oct 1969 thru oct 1970 (sarcasm definitely intended) 

I'm 76 years old, and have been (imho) fortunate enough to have  ridden a camel in Tenerife, swim with stingrays in Grand Cayman island, ride an elephant in Bangkok, a gondola in Venice, a boat ride on the Seine in Paris, cross the Artic Circle, and visit other sights throughout the world, mostly through the courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Lines.

I have absolutely NOTHING to gripe about regarding NCL.  We've paid $6,000 for the 2 bedroom suite on the Star for a 17 day cruise. My sister lives in Orlando, and a week in Disneyworld can go over $7,000 minimal. So what's the better deal?

I've said this many times (and at the risk of being redundant) my only real complaint-and this has been found on every ncl cruise I have ever taken, is that the hamburger bun ALWAYS falls apart before I'm finished with the hamburger. LOL!

And I'd like to remind all NCL complainers, naysayers etc. You're on a cruise, food, drinks, shows, service-or lack thereof, are All  1st world problems. GET OVER IT and enjoy the cruise for what it is!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, complawyer said:

I've said this many times (and at the risk of being redundant) my only real complaint-and this has been found on every ncl cruise I have ever taken, is that the hamburger bun ALWAYS falls apart before I'm finished with the hamburger. LOL!

I was fortunate in never serving in Vietnam.  Because of my Aerospace Engineering degree, I wound up in the missle business instead.  But I have been to Korea six times.

I do have some helpful suggestions.  The top of the hamburger bun is thicker than the bottom.  Turning the hamburger upside down will extend the life of the bun.  Order your hamburger on a pretzel roll which is much sturdier.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey Rocketman. while I didn't get to "tour the world"  I was GIFTED a 1 year vacation by Uncle Sam, to a delightfully charming little country is southeast Asia, between oct 1969 thru oct 1970 (sarcasm definitely intended) 

I'm 76 years old, and have been (imho) fortunate enough to have  ridden a camel in Tenerife, swim with stingrays in Grand Cayman island, ride an elephant in Bangkok, a gondola in Venice, a boat ride on the Seine in Paris, cross the Artic Circle, and visit other sights throughout the world, mostly through the courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Lines.

I have absolutely NOTHING to gripe about regarding NCL.  We've paid $6,000 for the 2 bedroom suite on the Star for a 17 day cruise. My sister lives in Orlando, and a week in Disneyworld can go over $7,000 minimal. So what's the better deal?

And I'd like to remind all NCL complainers, naysayers etc. You're on a cruise, food, drinks, shows, service-or lack thereof, are All  1st world problems. GET OVER IT and enjoy the cruise for what it is!

Got an in-depth WELCOME at Ft Moore, GA.  Then, all expenses paid trip to Ramstein.   Made skid marks back home after my Uncle said he was pleased with the job I did.  He wanted me to stick around.  But, I had other things I wanted to do.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Got an in-depth WELCOME at Ft Moore, GA.  Then, all expenses paid trip to Ramstein.   Made skid marks back home after my Uncle said he was pleased with the job I did.  He wanted me to stick around.  But, I had other things I wanted to do.

I spent a few months at Fort Bennng too.  Infantry Officers Basic Course.  1971.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I spent a few months at Fort Bennng too.  Infantry Officers Basic Course.  1971.

You and Complawyer came a bit before I did.  I missed all that dust up in Viet Nam, too!  Y’all didn’t have a choice.  I did have a choice (and  still signed up).  Go figure!!!

Did do some contract work for WPAFB.  Then, I went corporate.  You and I spoke about that other big company in Huntsville that’s not NASA or IBM!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1