Emerald Xmas market help please

cruise4mom

We have the Xmas markets in Nov 2025.

i have asked these questions in the disabled

Crusing and they advised me to ask

here.

we were supposed to take this cruise in 2023 but had to postpone it. There are times I have to use a walker however lately with distance, uneven roads etc I need to use a wheelchair. 

I am bringing a travel collapsible electric wheelchair. I will not need the chair on board only during our daily excursions. I have been getting conflicting information. Emerald states that you can use the wheelchair or walker in town but no Scooters. Then we have been told

that at times we have to exit the boat by utilizing stairs, walking on the top deck and down the stairs again. We have also been advised that myself and my traveling companion have to be responsible for handling the wheelchair. The contradiction comes with being told

staff can/cannot assist. I can’t take the chair on a tour bus as they don’t have the room

but walkers can go. My chair takes the same 

amount of space as a rollator. Has anyone seen anyone use a wheelchair during this cruise? The wheelchair has the option for manual or electric giving me the option of using like a rollator/walker but also

electric when distance is too much. I can push it off The boat however I am unsure as to if I could manage it on the stairs.

can someone who has been on emerald give me any advice? How did people with walkers handle it.

again I don’t need on the boat, just days when there is a lot of walking. Cobblestones are not my friend. The unknown is giving me anxiety. 

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

CDNPolar was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

We just came off a Viking Rhine cruise where there were three wheelchairs on board.  

We had some disembarkation from the top sundecks and quite steep ramps down to the ground, and then of course the busses.

Viking crew often helped, but I cannot say that they were always there.  Some disembarkation from river cruises can be quite challenging especially when the boats are docked side by side and you have to travel through - or across - several ships to get to your ship.  Also the added issue that the elevator often does not go to the sun deck if you are embarking or disembarking from the top deck.

I would say that you have to be very confident in what you are booking and where you are docking.

The other part of it is that so much of Europe is cobblestones.  They are everywhere.  On our recent Rhine trip I would say that the pain in my calf muscles was from the cobblestones and the uneven surfaces because I walk miles and miles everyday and never experienced this kind of discomfort before and the only difference was the cobblestones.

• Like 1

I agree, I am afraid. You will find this challenging. From what I have read about this topic before, you will manage, especially as you are not travelling alone, but while the crew is willing to help, as far as I know there is no obligation, i.e. a company directive that they need to be available to help. Some companies do not allow wheelchairs, some do.

12 hours ago, cruise4mom said:

Cobblestones are not my friend.

I think they are nobody's friend. I as a local am alright with it but as a tourist it can get frustrating. For you even more so.

Rafting is the other problem, as stated.

And as regards the excursions on buses - the steps into the vehicles are steep as they are tour coaches.

You do not state which river you will be on, but it applies in many ports. You may dock at a so-called dolphin. These are not the regular landing stages, but a different construction and from seeing them on photos and first-hand I would say that they often have more of an incline that the large steel dock constructions. You may even need to use steps. It all varies from port to port. In short, you often cannot walk off the ship at an even angle. In low or high water this is even more of an issue at times.

notamermaid

Emerald states that wheelchairs are allowed but not on board.

I did read a review and asked the poster about his experience this past Nov/Dec. He stated there were many walkers, canes etc. I cannot find anyone else who can answer this. It is frustrating. I asked ont he disabled travel group and they suggested asking here. Emerald  has one thing written, saying different things, then add first hand experience and I am confused. 

to be honest I just need the chair for distance. It could be stored anywhere as long as it’s taken off the boat. If I have to do it all I will it will just be slow. I just wish I knew exactly what to expect as the unknown ramps up my anxiety. 

we start in Paris and 3 days later we go to Amsterdam traveling down to Budapest so I think it is the Danube. 

I can handle steps it just takes me a bit as I have to place each foot on the same step before going to the other. Since the wheelchair can go between being folded flat, used as a manual

chair (walker) or an electric chair I am ok with being able to adjust for Inclines etc. I also am not worried about the steps on a tour bus but I am

worried as to if the buses will

be like those in America where luggage can be stored under the bus. If they are then the wheelchair could be stored there as we are traveling throughout and removed only if needed

for Distances. 

I know it will all work out but spending such a large amount of money on a vacation and not really knowing what of any obstacles someone affected with mobility issues will face. 

when we booked this tour in 2022 this wasn’t an issue. 

36 minutes ago, cruise4mom said:

when we booked this tour in 2022 this wasn’t an issue.

Sorry to read your life has changed so much due to the health issues.

I was wondering - it is a long cruise through Europe with many ports - if it may help to look at youtube videos? Amsterdam to Budapest is so popular, you can see ports, ships, docking locations, etc.

Here is a blog of an avid ocean and river cruiser:

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/about/about-solent-richard/

Also, the roll call for your cruise (line) - you should put this under "all other river cruise roll calls" which you can get to with the forum jump at the bottom - may proof helpful as there will likely be past and future cruisers who do not look at this main river cruising forum.

Good luck.

notamermaid

• 3 months later...

Not sure the river cruise to see the Christmas Markets is your best choice.  We are doing the Emerald Sky December 2025 AMS-ZRH.  We did an Avalon last year on the Rhone and I didn't see many people using wheelchairs or scooters.  At some ports it might not be an issue, but at others it would be impossible.  We had a couple of port stops where we rafted and you might be able to use them to get off.  We had another where we rafted but had to go up to the sun deck walk across to the other ships sun deck and then down steep stairs with tight turns to the gangway.  I think if you can manage to get the wheelchair to the pier and you can walk to the pier you would be good.  If you can't walk up/down steep stairs you might have an issue.  There are a few ships that have elevators that go to the sun deck, but I don't think there's many.  Good luck I hope it works out.  Maybe look at a land tour for the Christmas Markets.    

LauraS

"Thanks you for sharing such great advice!"

franski was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

I have been on a cruise (Viking) where one woman had a wheelchair...  Her husband took charge of it (and her) without issue.

My Christmas market cruise was on the Rhine with Uniworld.  There was one gentleman who had recently had a stroke and his mobility was impacted.  He walked with a cane - but quite slowly.  His wife met with the cruise manager early on in the cruise, and they discussed which stops might be challenging - or unable for him to complete.  A couple of times she left the included excursion early and took a taxi back to the boat. 

The cobblestones are one issue you will need to deal with.  The stairs are another.  Your speed on the stairs shouldn't be an issue - just plan to leave a few minutes earlier than the crowd and take your time.  Or, on the way back/boarding the boat, stay near the back so people can board at their speed and you won't feel as if you are holding people up.  

One thing that you need to be aware of with a Christmas market cruise is crowds.  Not every stop will include a market (you may stop before the market is open) but when it does, the crowds may be brutal.  Trying to manage that in a wheelchair will be very challenging.  Also - if there is snow, that may affect trying to manoever with a wheelchair. 

I don't know how feasible a motorized wheelchair would be on a river cruise...  but, if you have someone to push you it might be doable. There may be a stop or two where the included excursion may not be possible.  Are you OK with staying on board if that happens?  If you feel that you need to go on every excursion on the trip to make it worth while, I would respectfully suggest you re-visit your plans.

Fran

On 1/9/2024 at 8:41 PM, cruise4mom said:

Emerald states that wheelchairs are allowed but not on board.

No wonder you are confused. The UK Emerald FAQs doesn't say they are no allowed on boards. The warn that there may be 'limitations' on board and that bathroom doors may not be wide enough for some wheelchairs.

From the website (FAQ | Frequently Asked Questions - Emerald Cruises)

Do your Star-Ships and luxury yachts provide mobility/wheelchair access?

We welcome passengers with medical conditions or disabilities and can provide mobility provision when notified in writing prior to boarding.

However, please be aware that there may be limitations on board and during excursions.

In addition, standard suites and bathrooms have significant thresholds and cabin doors which limit access, meaning they may not be wide enough to allow access to many wheelchairs. Please speak to a member of our team about your requirements prior to booking.

You don't say which Christmas Markets cruise you are taking; Emerald show Christmas Markets of Europe and Christmas Markets on the Danube for 2024 - (no 2025 on the website) but only two Christmas markets are mentioned in the itineraries.

A concern not mentioned is the time of year. The nights are long and the weather cold. There may be snow, sleet and ice or rain. 

@1of4 stumbled on wet stairs coming down from the sundeck and broke bones on a recent cruise - Going Live on Scenic "Chef's Culinary Adventure of Belgium and the Netherlands with Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk" - Page 10 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community And that was daytime.

I was rafted (tied to) a boat on our cruise last month, we had to go down their sundeck stairs that were wet, steep, narrow and metal. There was only one hand rail and  we were advised to go down backwards. I stayed on board in the afternoon because I didn't want to risk those stairs again. I'd hate to do them in the dark or when icy.

Can you switch to a summer cruise?

Posted (edited)
LauraS

"Thank you for sharing such great advice!"

1of4 was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

Sorry to learn you are facing such conflicting information. Not acceptable but also not surprising. I found out that what you are told ahead of time may not be the situation onboard. Having just had an incident on Scenic, the sister of Emerald, hopefully I can help. 

For your consideration, the gangway is not very wide and sometimes can be steep. A crew member would have to take the wheelchair on and off the ship as it is improbable that you could use it on the gangway. 

There is probably an elevator but it will not go up to the Sun Deck where your safety drill will likely be and where you will have to go if your boat is rafted with another. The “stairs” to reach the Sun Deck, usually one long set and one shorter one, are steep. My boat, The Scenic Jade had railings that were attached to the stairs so didn’t go all the way to the deck. This was the issue for me as I had nothing to grab when my foot slipped off the stair. Would you be content to miss a port if rafted?  Just something to consider. 

I was not offered the onboard wheelchair. The only day I went on an excursion after my accident on day 2, my husband rented a wheelchair and I had to disembark down the gangway by myself as it was too steep and narrow for my husband to be beside me.  The crew used the boat’s wheelchair to get me to the coach but returned it to the boat. There was no coordination upon return to have the wheelchair waiting. Also the boat/cruise director did not assist with getting the reserved wheelchair to the coach which meant my husband had to run quite a distance to get the chair and get it back to me. We lost our group by that time and had quite a time finding them. 

I don’t see an issue with a walker or rollator onboard but unless you are in a top suite there won’t be much room in the cabin for it. It can’t be in the hallway as it would be an obstacle for other crew and passengers. You would have to make arrangements to keep it at the end of the corridor by the stairs. 

So all this to say that I think it is very possible but may not be practical. Taking it on the coach for excursions would take coordination if possible at all. Every coach I was on had 4-5 steep stairs to get into it and  quite narrow in seats and aisle. Hopefully most ports you can just get off and be in town?

If I can help please ask. 

Edited by 1of4
Correct auto text mistakes

On one Scenic cruise, the Rhône one.guest had a small - and he was quite a big man - mobility scooter which was plugged in every evening in the foyer. He navigated on board with two walking sticks, I was only aware of a few times that he needed crew assistance leaving or arriving on board. He and his wife one evening went ashore for dinner locally with French friends. Lovely guy he managed to join in most things and in Viviers he found the long way around to the organ recital in the cathedral. So it’s not impossible just takes a bit of - sounds wrong - get up and go.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great post and has answered many questions I have. I'm trying to plan a Christmas Market 2024 trip - a river cruise - and am so appreciative of the input here. 

My husband (77) and I (63) just returned from a 12 day TATL (Celebrity Silhouette)  followed by a 2 week land vacation in Europe, self-paced. He has Parkinson's with some slowness and balance issues, but here in Florida, flat and cement sidewalks, he has no problem doing a 3-mile daily walk. So I thought it would be 'relatively' easy on the TATL and in Europe. Note: although frequent cruisers and avid global travelers, this was our first big venture since Covid.

Geez, was there a huge learning curve on this! My husband's abilities - or disabilities, if you will - have really increased since 2020, and this recent trip made it clear exactly what could, and could not, be accomplished. 

From the start: going up and down the gangway to the Silhouette in Fort Lauderdale. He had to hold onto both handrails, and even at a mild slope. That was just the beginning; we learned he could not take the stairs in the ship. He had developed a fear of stairs and would freeze on the first step, so the only way he would get around is via elevator. 

When we arrived in flat Bermuda, I thought, this should be easy. Umm, not quite. The cobblestones were a challenge, as were the curbs. We ended up taking the trolley for the 1/2 mile? ride from the pier just to get to a pharmacy and back to the ship. The Azores were the same story, and to get from the pier to street level there were multiple staircases along the promenade/pier, or, at the very end (and a long walk) a ramp. By the time we walked the length of promenade to the ramp, crossed the street, and arrived at the cobblestoned square, my hubby was ready to sit down and rest.

Ireland: I had become ill, and my husband would not disembark without me at his side. (Turns out I had Covid, and I was quarantined).

On arrival in Amsterdam, we had to change plans and thus, booked into the Hyatt Regency for a week while we BOTH recovered from Covid. Towards the end of our stay we felt well enough to venture across the street to a store to buy essentials. Although Amsterdam is flat, orderly, clean, and has little traffic, the cobblestones and tram tracks were a bit of an issue for him, and I had to support him to give him confidence. However, it was the most doable place we visited (in addition to Vienna) as long as I was holding my husband's arm. The terrain was flat, and access on/off trains and trams was easy. Ditto for the trams in Vienna. 

We then moved on to Istanbul, where our daughter is teaching. My husband had a huge issue with stairs and the hills of the city. Being unable to take stairs, he had to go on his hands and knees at the Basilica Cistern, which is advertised as "accessible" but turned out to not be! He lost a lot of confidence. After that, we ended up taking taxis from one flat place to another; everything had to be flat, wide, and open. Several times we took ferries across the Bosphorous, and even the (almost) level metal boarding ramp of maybe 15% incline was a challenge. Also, too, were the crowds; he felt rushed and insecure, with folks hurrying around him to board the ferries.  

Back to the original topic, and why I am here: for the past 5 years we've talked about doing a Christmas Market journey, and the river cruise seemed like a perfect solution. But, being reminded of the things I already knew, like cobblestones and crowds, and made aware of the rafting and steep steps on/off the river cruise boats, you all have helped me make a decision that this type of cruising just will not work for us. Nor, for that matter, will a group land tour on a coach, because my husband has problems with those very steep stairs. 

So it looks like I will be planning our own, self-guided Christmas market jaunt, with an eye toward all the flat places with great public transport, and we will stay in major hotels with good elevators in the city center, and keep our walking to a minimum.

Edited by ellasabe

31 minutes ago, ellasabe said:

So it looks like I will be planning our own, self-guided Christmas market jaunt, with an eye toward all the flat places with great public transport, and we will stay in major hotels with good elevators in the city center, and keep our walking to a minimum.

This looks like the best solution for you two. Just two more things to be aware of. Christmas markets can be very crowded. Advent is cold with sometimes icy conditions which make walking on European pavements in historic cities a challenge.

One tip: large hotels may be able to assist you with finding out about scooters, I have read of cities being able to help you with that sort of thing at tourist information centres. Some cities also have small tourist road trains to take you around.

I hope you find a great area to stay in and have a magical time at the markets.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid: Thank you. That's a great reminder about the crowded markets, we will try to visit on weeknights, and maybe avoid (or go early evening) on weekends. Also, we will try to begin out trip approximately 24 November, to best avoid crowds the closer to the holidays.

Also a good idea about footwear. Some years ago I was in Muenster for 3 months, October - December, and although it was unseasonably warm - flowers were blooming up until mid-December - the weather could be wet and the streets slippery. And if it is icy, even more reason for appropriate shoes/boots. 

3 minutes ago, ellasabe said:

Also, we will try to begin out trip approximately 24 November, to best avoid crowds the closer to the holidays.

Best to check the opening times of markets as 24 November can be a bit early, especially in traditional regions where Sunday of the Dead is observed as a quiet religious day.

notamermaid

• Like 1

DW and I are not disabled, just getting old.  We are just back from a trip to Italy from Florence to Rome where we used daytrip.com drivers to get from city to city (Florence–Siena–Assisi–Orvieto–Ostia).  They aren't cheap, but the driver comes to your hotel and loads the luggage into the vehicle then takes you directly to the next hotel and unloads the luggage.  Pick hotels with doormen and they will take over from there.  None of the cities I just mentioned would work for your husband, but this is a model for 'flat' cities.

• Like 1