New fees

AngelRobin

12 minutes ago, AngelRobin said:

One cruise line, Celebrity Cruises, is going even further. They are charging solo travelers well over twice the double occupancy rate.

Not necessarily.  I did two mock bookings on Celebrity Refection for November, 2024.  For two people in the cabin the fare is $1,623.00.  For a single in same category cabin, the fare is $1,541.75.

Celebrity Cruises(1).PDF Celebrity Cruises.PDF

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

There is a thread on this already

Like that's ever stopped anybody.... Also, we can discuss the difference between fees (title of this thread) and fares.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AngelRobin said:

One cruise line, Celebrity Cruises, is going even further. They are charging solo travelers well over twice the double occupancy rate.

Are we to arbitrarily take your word for it, or do you have substantiation?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The misconception comes from the "sales" which only apply to the second person in the cabin. They word the offer as 75% the second person and not 37.5% off cruise fares specifically to exclude singles from the "discount".

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

The misconception comes from the "sales" which only apply to the second person in the cabin. They word the offer as 75% the second person and not 37.5% off cruise fares specifically to exclude singles from the "discount".

Last year, they did give singles that discount, though--I know, I got it for a cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

Are we to arbitrarily take your word for it, or do you have substantiation?

Just do a few mock booking and you will see that not only are they charging solos more than 200%, but they charge them a lot more more adding drinks and Wi-Fi and even the cruise care.  It is not a little bit.  It is a whole lot!  You might find a couple where this is not the case, but mostly it is!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Also, we can discuss the difference between fees (title of this thread) and fares.

Fee, fare, fo, fum......interchangeably used by some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Zack the Traveling Man just had a you tube video on this. To say he was not happy about this and other nickel and diming is putting it mildly.

And why should we care what he thinks? When will people who have done with Celebrity move on, soon I hope.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

And why should we care what he thinks? When will people who have done with Celebrity move on, soon I hope.

It’s not what he thinks.  It’s the facts.  Celebrity is screwing solos and I guess if you don’t fall in that category and don’t care about their business practices, you just don’t care!  Personally, I don’t trust them!  I think this is sneaking and very bad for their PR and image!

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Not completely done with Celebrity but I will now be traveling solo. So, when FIVE of the cruising website individuals, who all have a huge following, all address this X issue, it is worth paying attention to for future cruises.I checked it out for a December 2024 cruise. As an Elite passenger with X, I booked with HAL after looking at the ridiculous cost with X.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

It's happening right now. The negative publicity takes some time to manifest itself. Your wish is granted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why not book a room for two using a family members information. Get the normal cabin fare for two passengers and have a no show on cruise day? Booked at the two passenger fare not the inflated single fare.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The OP joined cruise Critic in 2018 and this is post #2? Something’s amiss.

Maybe they forgot their previous account information? Happened to me. Had to create a new one after being dormant for years. 

But I wonder if the cruise lines will do anything. I understand about the fees and double occupancy, I just think there should be some sort of discount during these 75% off emails that continuously are hitting my inbox. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

If you don't want to watch it, move on.

I’m not allowed to post my view then? I will move on when I am done with Celebrity, wish others would do the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I priced the latest sale for March/April, solo travel prices were 3X the per person for a pair--I know I got the 75% off last year for a couple cruises as a solo traveler (paid 125% instead of 200%), but that's apparently in the past.

• Like 1