Trivia about Trivia

chrism23

I know I am going to get unmercifully flamed because of this, but hey, someone needs to take the grief.  I love the 5:00 PM Trivia games.  Its fun and one of the best ways to meet people on you cruise.  But, SS needs to establish 2 fleet wide rules.that would improve the game.  First, establish limits on the number of players on a team. Years ago it used to 6 or 8.  On my last cruise on the Moon there were teams that expanded to 14-16 players,  Simply not fair, a return to a mandatory 6 or 8 is needed.

Second thing is to have  answer sheets scored by another group.  I won't say people cheat but they will definitely go "close enough" and give themselves a point.  Problem is when they are not close.  I am not saying, for one second, and this would be a disaster, that spelling come into this at all.  With spelling 'close enough" should suffice as long as the score keeper knows what you mean.    

These two things are no big deal and word should filter done to the cruise directors that there are now a couple of new rules.  

• Like 2

Try the Viking approach.  The game is played for fun and there are ZERO prizes awarded.  Just applause for the winners.

Cruise directors are their own little emperors, ruling over their domain.  They will do the various games as they see fit.  And nothing will change that.

Question for you:  Do you really think that this is something that Silversea corporate management either a) considers a significant issue, or b) really has time to micromanage?

They have bigger issues to worry about.

• Like 3

And make people turn off their ipads/tablets. 

Some years ago one of the teams consisted of maybe 10 people, 9 were conferring on the answers while one woman seemed uninterested and read her ipad. Then along came a question that nobody on the team could offer an answer for. Yes, that's right, the woman tapped on her iPad, scrolled a bit and tilted the screen to her neighbour who, big surprise, suddenly knew the answer and the team leader wrote it down. 

I only noticed her do it that one time but as the team consistently won each day a lesser person might suggest that the foregoing event may have happened discreetly on other occasions. 

Just sayin'... 

I wouldn't dream of flaming you - though this is obviously not a matter of great importance, to anyone with a sense of fair play it is infuriating if teams can be as big as they like, and even more if they are cheating.  

One of my Silversea memories is of doing the trivia quiz in the bar (the one where you go up into the theatre from the back) and there was a group of Captain's Choice people on board.  Their leader was fairly obnoxious, and used to get there early and move chairs around so he had a large circle of probably 12 of them in one team.  They were not too popular generally, dare I say, with the other passengers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrism23 said:

I know I am going to get unmercifully flamed because of this, but hey, someone needs to take the grief.  I love the 5:00 PM Trivia games.  Its fun and one of the best ways to meet people on you cruise.  But, SS needs to establish 2 fleet wide rules.that would improve the game.  First, establish limits on the number of players on a team. Years ago it used to 6 or 8.  On my last cruise on the Moon there were teams that expanded to 14-16 players,  Simply not fair, a return to a mandatory 6 or 8 is needed.

Second thing is to have  answer sheets scored by another group.  I won't say people cheat but they will definitely go "close enough" and give themselves a point.  Problem is when they are not close.  I am not saying, for one second, and this would be a disaster, that spelling come into this at all.  With spelling 'close enough" should suffice as long as the score keeper knows what you mean.    

These two things are no big deal and word should filter done to the cruise directors that there are now a couple of new rules.  

No flaming here.  I am just off Silver Wind and we had a very similar situation.  And, like @lincslady, it is an afront to our sense of fair play.  The activity director did announce teams were maximum of 8, and no electronics allowed, yet he never once asked the team of 10-12 to break into two groups.  When someone mentioned the size of that group, he said he only gave them 8 prize cards!  That is not the point, though.  They consistently won because they had more brains working on the answers.  It too often took the fun out of playing trivia.  I have also seen the "near enough is good enough" answers that some teams gave themselves points for.  After all, one of their team members said the right answer; it doesn't matter that it was overruled and another answer written down.  Grumbling over. 😢

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our team leader on the Moon TA in 2022 blatantly cheated writing down several answers and crossing out the wrong ones.  It took all the fun out of it and was embarrassing.  I called her out on it and left the team.

• Like 5