Those Refillable Water Bottles….

harryw

On 1/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, redshine said:

What size are the water bottles that the ship gives

2 3/4" wide at base and 7 1/2" tall for main body before taper 2" to top

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 11:59 PM, clo said:

I carry my water bottle with me 24/7/365 so not an issue for me.

I’m guessing you don’t go through TSA checkpoints too often. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I’m guessing you don’t go through TSA checkpoints too often. 

I empty it before and refill after. Doesn't everyone? Been doing that for just about as long as TSA has been around.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, clo said:

I empty it before and refill after. Doesn't everyone? Been doing that for just about as long as TSA has been around.

Not really, my hand carry luggage space is too valuable to waste with water bottles. I don’t need to feel good about myself and keep refilling a nasty germ ridden container all the time. I’m fine with single use bottles.  Enjoy your koolaid. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ORV said:

Not really, my hand carry luggage space is too valuable to waste with water bottles. I don’t need to feel good about myself and keep refilling a nasty germ ridden container all the time. I’m fine with single use bottles.  Enjoy your koolaid. 

Wow, where to start. Let's do this one first.

One liter of water — the equivalent of two standard\ize bottled waters — contained an average of 240,000 plastic particles from seven types of plastics, of which 90% were identified as nanoplastics and the rest were microplastics, according to the new study.Jan 8, 2024

Bottled water contains thousands of nanoplastics so ... - CNN

CNN.com

\Here's pretty close to the Contigo bottle I use. Not exactly but the little ring off the side means I can carry it on my finger or attach to a piece of luggage.

https://www.gocontigo.com/water-bottles/autospoutreg-ashland-24oz-smoke-water-bottle/SAP_2076608.html

And ever since the massacre I've found the term "koolaid" used in your context to be offensive.

The widely known expression "Drinking the Kool-Aid" developed after the events at Jonestown, although the specific beverage used at the massacre was Flavor Aid.

People also ask

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

This topic has inspired me to be ecologically conscious. For

years I have been buying small bottles of spring water to drink. Always have one bedside. I went to Target yesterday and there were several refillable bottles with straw and filters, like Brita. The label read that the filter lasts 2 months. Does anyone have a favorite brand or model?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this would make it way too complicated for Oceania or their passengers, but I personally think it would be a great idea if we can opt out of having these bottles.  There are three ways it could occur:

1.  Make this part of the online check-in.  Ask every passenger if they want a bottle in their cabin or not.

2.  Allow every passenger an opportunity to opt out after checking in.  (Ask the cabin attendant to take them away?)

3.  Just have the bottles be available but not in the rooms.  Only those who want them to get them.

And also, encourage any passenger to bring their own reusable bottles with them to the ship.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, clo said:

Wow, where to start. Let's do this one first.

One liter of water — the equivalent of two standard\ize bottled waters — contained an average of 240,000 plastic particles from seven types of plastics, of which 90% were identified as nanoplastics and the rest were microplastics, according to the new study.Jan 8, 2024

Bottled water contains thousands of nanoplastics so ... - CNN

CNN.com

\Here's pretty close to the Contigo bottle I use. Not exactly but the little ring off the side means I can carry it on my finger or attach to a piece of luggage.

https://www.gocontigo.com/water-bottles/autospoutreg-ashland-24oz-smoke-water-bottle/SAP_2076608.html

And ever since the massacre I've found the term "koolaid" used in your context to be offensive.

The widely known expression "Drinking the Kool-Aid" developed after the events at Jonestown, although the specific beverage used at the massacre was Flavor Aid.

People also ask

Have a nice day.

Oh, I don’t mean it in an offensive way. More along the lines of those that are easily influenced by manipulation and propaganda. Kind of like those that watch a certain network nonstop. It’s complicated, but if you feel good about it keep doing it. But you’re not going to save the planet. That is if the planet needs saving. 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:00 PM, ORV said:

The bottle doesn't have to go in your luggage. I drink a lot of water and have no problem carrying my water bottle in my hand. I like to have water to drink on the plane. 

NO need for your snide Koolaid remark. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, schmerl said:

The bottle doesn't have to go in your luggage. I drink a lot of water and have no problem carrying my water bottle in my hand. I like to have water to drink on the plane. 

NO need for your snide Koolaid remark. 

Glad that works out for you.  The refillable bottle industry thanks you. My hands are generally pretty busy while going through security. I have no financial or moral issues buying a bottle of water after security and refilling it as needed while flying. I also like water while traveling. That works for me, looks like you have something that works for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Glad that works out for you.  The refillable bottle industry thanks you. My hands are generally pretty busy while going through security. I have no financial or moral issues buying a bottle of water after security and refilling it as needed while flying. I also like water while traveling. That works for me, looks like you have something that works for you. 

Don't laugh. I carry my bottle all the time, at home, in the car and out and about. It's not unusual for me to carry it on my little finger 🙂 I have a very dry mouth.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:36 AM, Psoque said:

So, is it safe to assume that most repeat customers are leaving these bottles behind in their cabins?

Brought mine home and use it most every day since our cruise last April. Good bottle that brings back memories of our trip.

• Like 2

In 2018 Stanley cup/thermos company had sales of 70 million. Today it’s 750 million primarily due to sales of refillable water bottles and cups. And that’s just one company. Getting rid of all that metal, plastic and aluminum is going to present future problems. There are no easy answers to any of these issues. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Brought mine home and use it most every day since our cruise last April. Good bottle that brings back memories of our trip.

We did the same as well.  However, we are not quite sure what we will do at the conclusion of our next Oceania cruise.

The bottle, while a nice idea, just isn't workable for me. It's too big to carry around the ship and more water than I need over the course of a visit ashore in most cases. 

One cruise #1 I tried it but didn't like it -- left it in cabin on departure. On cruise #2, I handed it back to cabin steward immediately on entering cabin. Hopefully it just went back into inventory for someone else.

Here's an idea. When on the ship, just use the glasses (in stateroom, in lounges when there are activities) and pour from the bottles or dispensers right there. The glasses will be used many times = less waste.

For time ashore I now bring my own preferred smaller and more practical bottle.

8 hours ago, ORV said:

There are no easy answers to any of these issues. 

Right. And while I know that my teensy efforts contribute little to nothing...Oh wait, do I at least contribute to representing a good impression? I just read an article about Jane Goodall. She wants everyone to vote because that's the only way to make a true difference.

8 hours ago, Psoque said:

We did the same as well.  However, we are not quite sure what we will do at the conclusion of our next Oceania cruise.

Donate it to a thrift store.

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's an idea. When on the ship, just use the glasses (in stateroom, in lounges when there are activities) and pour from the bottles or dispensers right there. The glasses will be used many times = less waste.

Good idea.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Donate it to a thrift store.

That's an option to save space in our house, but I'm afraid the bottle might end up in a landfill if the store decide not to sell it or it never sells.  My understanding that some of the big-name thrift stores are guilty of sending a lot of stuff to the landfill instead of recycling.

I guess my best option for the next cruise is to just take it home and recycle it, since I have no idea what Oceania does with these bottles, whether they are used or not.  I'm assuming that not all ports of call that they offload their "trash" also have recycling infrastructures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

guilty of sending a lot of stuff to the landfill instead of recycling.

I think a lot of that is clothing but not sure about other things.