Holders for cruise Documents

We just received our luggage tags and cruise documents in a white envelope. What has happened to the very nice holders for the cruise docs? Have they done away with these?

our last cruise was last May and we receives one for that cruise.

Seems more and more things that made Regent soo special are  going away due to cost cutting measures  but prices continue to increase.

Edited by jhenry1

I, for one, don't mind not getting the little cruise doc case.  I can see Regent sending one for someone's first cruise, but after a few, those things just get stowed away in a drawer somewhere.  I'd rather see them axe the doc holder and get some better included wines...but that's just me.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I, for one, don't mind not getting the little cruise doc case.  I can see Regent sending one for someone's first cruise, but after a few, those things just get stowed away in a drawer somewhere.  I'd rather see them axe the doc holder and get some better included wines...but that's just me.

Agree with you, Bill. My older ones will work just fine on our upcoming Grandeur cruise in July. Upgrade to wines would be our first choice.

I used my iPhone in December. All I needed on my last trip was the barcode on the boarding pass. It was really convenient. What other "documents" are there? 

Edited by GMIAC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

I used my iPhone in December. All I needed on my last trip was the barcode on the boarding pass. It was really convenient. What other "documents" are there? 

None that are required. Keep backups on phones for safety. Also, the wines offered at meals are not the best available for no cost. Simply ask for the list and select something better.

• Like 1

Just been on Explorer for 28 days. We only drink red wine and soon found several wines that are offered at dinner that we enjoyed. We always asked the wine waiter for our choice. No problems at all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanne said:

Just been on Explorer for 28 days. We only drink red wine and soon found several wines that are offered at dinner that we enjoyed. We always asked the wine waiter for our choice. No problems at all.  

Same thing for me 14 months ago on Mariner. If I didn’t like what was on offer, I asked for one or two others which I knew I liked. Servers were always happy to fetch my selection for me.

38 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Same thing for me 14 months ago on Mariner. If I didn’t like what was on offer, I asked for one or two others which I knew I liked. Servers were always happy to fetch my selection for me.

We did this on Grandeur too. After a couple of days, we knew what the "good wines" were, and the servers were all too happy to fetch some from a different restaurant onboard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhenry1 said:

Those of you who found better reds what were the ones you enjoyed?

Sorry I can’t remember, but your included wines may vary from other ships/itineraries…..

4 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Sorry I can’t remember, but your included wines may vary from other ships/itineraries…..

Yeah, this - wines will change based on location and availability.  We can usually find a few that we like, but there are fewer nice wines to choose from than there were 10 years ago, IMO.  A minor annoyance, to be honest - I'll be happy with a martini before dinner, it kind of numbs my palate so a more mainstream wine won't offend me.  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes many years ago when began cruising with Regent the wine choice was definitely better for Reds in my opinion, we are heading to the Caribbean in Feb on  Slendor our first time on Splendor. Hopefully the choice will be good. In the past we have used OBC to purchase reds we like.

The wine offered on a given night is something they have a lot of. There are probably 20 choices available for reds at no charge. My gf has a little wine tasting at a bar on day 1 or 2 to sample what is available then she knows what to order at dinner.

5 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

Jhenry1 - A particular red we liked on Splendor (one month ago) was Rocca Sveva Valpolicella Superiore (2018).  We particularly like most Italian reds, to begin with. For our first dinner in Setti Mari, we asked the wine steward for a Valpolicella (not an "extra cost" wine - an "included pour").  He brought us this.  We loved it (4 of us went through 2 bottles of it at that first dinner), and we had that same wine "follow us" for dinners throughout the cruise in various venues, including Pacific Rim, Chartreuse, and CR.  We asked for it in those venues and they all gladly went and got it for us.  Give it try, particularly if you like reds.  Regards Valpolicella.thumb.jpg.d25cee8df869e05321c08aecfd2d64ef.jpg

Edited by pingpong1

We enjoyed this Chateauneuf-du-Pape at Prime 7 at lunch, and then we asked for it again at Chartreuse at lunch subsequently. I knew taking photos of the bottles would come in handy!

7CC5792C-97C1-4C57-915F-537A13410EEF_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7b3f52b80fb78e7e0e92446a598364e3.jpeg

• Like 1

Always beneficial to make friends with the sommelier early on - and attending the standard and premium wine tastings always helps, too.  We've actually found some nice wines that are eminently drinkable at a friendly price point that we keep going back to - but chatting with the sommelier and wine stewards can also unearth some nice gems on occasion.

That said, it's hard to screw up an old-fashioned.  🥃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Cbktpf said:

I'm a Chardonnay fan. Any options for an oaky chard? Please no judging! I’m open to other options both whites & reds.

There’s a Rombauer on the extra charge list on Grandeur. We thought it could use more oak but the other people at our table at the wine tasting lunch thought it was too oaky. Go figure.