Mumbling about Marina

ORV

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I was talking with a crew member who said she saw when they dropped anchor and the swells were high then and the ship was struggling with staying steady for that. (I may not be explaining this right but that was my understanding of what she said.)

Seas and swells won't hinder dropping anchor.  *Currents* might make it tough to anchor in the right place, though.

But, yeah, if it was nasty at anchoring-time, it might even have been a case of "nevermind the forecast, it might get nasty again anyway".

BTW, the anchor isn't what holds the ship in place nowadays, it's the weight of the anchor chain lying on the bottom.  The anchor is to help keep the chain untangled.

Edited by Snaefell3

1 hour ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

If it was tough to drop anchor, imagine how hard it would be to line the tenders up next to the ship. 

Lining up the tenders isn't that hard.  The problem is that the ship and the tender bob up and down at different speeds so what starts as 6 inch step up can turn into a 3 foot step down.  Pax (and even crew) fall and break bones or end up in the water between the tender and the ship's hull to get crushed. 

• Thanks 1

I don't know if I mentioned this while onboard, but Waves Grill has a nice additional food area that has changing choices usually on a daily basis. When eating out there I always checked it out before ordering normal fare. One day I had bbq ribs and chicken. Enjoyed the change of pace. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SophieM said:

We had that happen in February. It was fine going in, but it turned really rough in the afternoon. We were on one of the last tenders, and it was really rough. After a few passes, we were able to pull along side, but then the mooring rope broke, and it took several more. Several people were rather panicked. Not us, though. 🙂

Yes we were on that tender too.  I fully understand when the captain chooses to play it safe after that experience.  And the sea "didn't look that bad"...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ORV said:

I don't know if I mentioned this while onboard, but Waves Grill has a nice additional food area that has changing choices usually on a daily basis. When eating out there I always checked it out before ordering normal fare. One day I had bbq ribs and chicken. Enjoyed the change of pace. 

We had the same on Sirena. They had a chalk board behind it with a list of items available and wiped it off the board when an item was no longer available. 

14 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

We had the same on Sirena. They had a chalk board behind it with a list of items available and wiped it off the board when an item was no longer available. 

Hmmm...  Sounds interesting.

@ORV, @EJL2023   Was that breakfast, lunch, pizza-time, ...?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Hmmm...  Sounds interesting.

@ORV, @EJL2023   Was that breakfast, lunch, pizza-time, ...?

Lunch. Typically started with at least 3 different items and it changed daily. 

Edited by EJL2023

4 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Is there currently a cosmetic section on Marina? Thanks!! 

They have makeup for purchase in the boutique. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, SophieM said:

Idle curiosity question to anyone who is on this cruise or the last one. How is the new cruise director doing? She seemed a bit of an odd choice to me, but what do I know??

Sammy is adequate.  She speaks clearly but doesn't drone on.  

CD's don't tend to enhance my cruise experience. 

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

... CD's don't tend to enhance my cruise experience. 

Dottie on Sirena (11/2022) wasn't going to have a Veterans' meet & greet, but she was kind enough to help me put one on, when we discussed it. She did the publicity for it on a sea day. We had 25 people show up at Martini's in the afternoon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Sammy is adequate.  She speaks clearly but doesn't drone on.  

CD's don't tend to enhance my cruise experience. 

I think she's fine. Her announcements are crisp and easy to understand, does a nice job leading trivia, and is a solid performer based on her solo show last night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

I think she's fine. Her announcements are crisp and easy to understand, does a nice job leading trivia, and is a solid performer based on her solo show last night.

Do you happen to know if she'll be on the April 5th T/A? Thanks!!

On 2/20/2024 at 3:09 AM, shepherd really said:

Last night's dinner in Polo was good, although my wife's steak came to the table rare, she ordered medium.  Mine was just past medium, but close enough.  We exited the Fjords and went into the Pacific during dinner.  It got a bit bumpy for those with balance issues.  

Back into the Fjords at 2:30 am this morning.  Scenic cruising today if the fog lifts, Red Ginger again tonight and Punta Arenas tomorrow. Some coughing has been heard around the ship, but not worrisome, yet. 

image.png.b0132d34c2dbf19d107eb4b951429071.png

I cough a lot  I have a paralyzed vocal cord and significant allergies  Not all coughing indicates a contagious disease  

On 2/1/2024 at 3:57 PM, SATaxman said:

At Toscana you can ask for a half size portion of any of the pastas.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:57 PM, SATaxman said:

At Toscana you can ask for a half size portion of any of the pastas.

I fully intend to take leftovers back to my cabin in a baggie. Is it really a “ no no”?  I’m a grazer I can’t eat a lot at once, but after an hour or two, I want to eat again

28 minutes ago, Francesca 7667 said:

I fully intend to take leftovers back to my cabin in a baggie. Is it really a “ no no”?  I’m a grazer I can’t eat a lot at once, but after an hour or two, I want to eat again

Yes, that is a no no. 

30 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Yes, that is a no no. 

But if you carry some ziplocs and a bigger bag and are discreet about it, sure.  A few years ago on a Hurtigruten cruise there lunches were the equivalent of dinners. Their breakfasts were a buffet with a few cooked to order things. A couple of times I took a couple of slices of bread, some ham and cheese and later made myself a sandwich for lunch. I mean really, who loses?

1 hour ago, Francesca 7667 said:

Just order room service perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Francesca 7667 said:

If you check with the staff (waiter or M-D), they likely have a solution/process for this situation which may include providing wrapped/boxed food before you leave or delivering it to you later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If you check with the staff (waiter or M-D), they likely have a solution/process for this situation which may include providing wrapped/boxed food before you leave or delivering it to you later.

We were dining with a group at Jacques and someone asked if we could have our dessert delivered to the room. They took everyone's room number and delivered it around the requested time. We all wanted to hit the evening trivia and didn't have time to wait for dessert. First time I've ever done something like that. They came about 20 minutes later than requested. No big deal. Only thing I didn't like is there was no ice cream with my Jacques Favorite Apple Tart. Blasphemy. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

We were dining with a group at Jacques and someone asked if we could have our dessert delivered to the room. They took everyone's room number and delivered it around the requested time. We all wanted to hit the evening trivia and didn't have time to wait for dessert. First time I've ever done something like that. They came about 20 minutes later than requested. No big deal. Only thing I didn't like is there was no ice cream with my Jacques Favorite Apple Tart. Blasphemy. 

OMG! 😱

19 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm clutching my pearls!!

• Haha 1