Decoy back?

39august

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

It is back on the Ascent.

Now if they would bring back Conundrum, my wife would be happy. I am getting my favorite, so I have been happy. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texed said:

Now if they would bring back Conundrum, my wife would be happy. I am getting my favorite, so I have been happy. 😁

Jackie's got good taste. 👍

So what’s your favorite?

I am happy to read reports that Decoy is returning/has returned to the premium package.  But I do wonder, with all our "complaints" about the Decoy, is that the only change that was made following Celebrity's promises of "we have heard you and we are making changes".  I had hoped they would revise/revamp their menus somewhat more substantially to include a number of new wines of all types across all price ranges.  To me, this was more than just a reinstate Decoy exercise. 

Just off two weeks on the Ascent. Sommelier introduced me to a new blend from Spain. Meridiani Oaks. I liked it better than Conundrum or Decoy. He even gave me both and I went to my new fav. 

20 minutes ago, stones902 said:

There was an upcharge for Decoy on our Constellation cruise Jan 3-12.  It was an extra $2 bucks per glass.

That's a shame.  DW enjoyed it often on Silhouette's October TA w/o upcharge.  We did have the PAL.

29 minutes ago, stones902 said:

There was an upcharge for Decoy on our Constellation cruise Jan 3-12.  It was an extra $2 bucks per glass.

7 minutes ago, marieps said:

That's a shame.  DW enjoyed it often on Silhouette's October TA w/o upcharge.  We did have the PAL.

The changes appear to have been sometime after January 14. Presumably Constellation will also be within the premium package, if not now, on her next sailing in a couple of days.

24 minutes ago, markeb said:

The changes appear to have been sometime after January 14. Presumably Constellation will also be within the premium package, if not now, on her next sailing in a couple of days.

DW just grimaced when I delivered that news!

49 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Not a wine aficionado... There is a wine called Decoy? Looked it up, and the reviews are nice. (I was surprised it isn't a non-alcoholic wine, though!) 

Decoy is a better than average entry level brand from a company called Duckhorn. All of their brands have a duck theme. It's their schtick. The Decoy bottles have a painting of a Pintail duck decoy.

Edited by markeb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Decoy is a better than average entry level brand from a company called Duckhorn. All of their brands have a duck theme. It's their schtick. The Decoy bottles have a painting of a Pintail duck decoy.

Yes, have enjoyed Duckhorn wines, including Decoy, for the price point. Though, like most restaurants and lounges Celebrity is going to charge $17 per glass when a bottle retail will run you less than that ~$12. But that's the nature of the hospitality business.  Will be interesting to see if it is back on the Beyond in a couple of months and what changes have been made. 

Had the Caymus in Fine Cut last night (Ascent). Bill was $21 and change after the $17 with premium bev package.I didn't notice the price but I'm figuring $35 a glass. No Decoy for the room when we boarded. Got La Crema instead along with a Cherry Pie. Could have had the Decoy delivered later but stuck with the La Crema. Haven't open it yet.

20240124_083503.jpg

We are on the Ascent and trying some of the new premium package wines.  So far the Mondavi Pinot Noir is 👎 👎 neither of us liked it.

The Mouton Cadet Cabernet Blend was also 👎👎.

Sauvignon Blanc, Emmolo DH gave a 👎 and is back to Villa Maria.

Last night we had the Primitivo, Layer Cake that was 👍 👍,  still not my favorite but okay. 
We will try others over the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We are on the Ascent and trying some of the new premium package wines.  So far the Mondavi Pinot Noir is 👎 👎 neither of us liked it.

The Mouton Cadet Cabernet Blend was also 👎👎.

Sauvignon Blanc, Emmolo DH gave a 👎 and is back to Villa Maria.

Last night we had the Primitivo, Layer Cake that was 👍 👍,  still not my favorite but okay. 
We will try others over the next few days.

This is what makes wine threads funny...

I'm pretty sure I'd dislike the Mondavi Pinot Noir as well. I'd probably taste it if it was handed to me as a free sample, but no way I'd ever buy it.

What was the issue with Mouton Cadet? Just curious as I don't believe I've ever had it. It's an entry level from the region and I wouldn't expect anything spectacular, but it should be a nice wine. Definitely shouldn't taste like a California cab. That's the sort of wine you get for €10 or so (probably €12-15 today!)at a nice bistro and they're usually nice.

Ah, Sauvignon Blanc. This is where we would differ and knowing why someone likes or dislikes a wine becomes important. I loathe, despise, dislike strongly, bordering on hate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. I do not like grapefruit on it's own, and there is no way I'll knowingly pick a wine that I know will reek of it. But it's probably the most popular style of SB in the world today. I've never had the Emmolo but reading reviews and descriptions it sounds like exactly the type of SB I love, unless I can get my hands on a nice, reasonably priced white Bordeaux. 

When we were on Equinox in November the Primitivo was probably the best red by the glass we had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Ah, Sauvignon Blanc. This is where we would differ and knowing why someone likes or dislikes a wine becomes important. I loathe, despise, dislike strongly, bordering on hate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. I do not like grapefruit on it's own, and there is no way I'll knowingly pick a wine that I know will reek of it. But it's probably the most popular style of SB in the world today. I've never had the Emmolo but reading reviews and descriptions it sounds like exactly the type of SB I love, unless I can get my hands on a nice, reasonably priced white Bordeaux. 

More than 3 decades ago I heard Jancis Robinson describe a Sauvignon blanc as "cat pee on a gooseberry bush".  I've never forgotten how spot on that can be for some.  However, there are many lovely Loire Valley examples, Sancerre being my favorite, but also Pouilly-Fume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1