Is Norwegian Abandoning New York

bjlaac

We regularly sailed out of NYC for years Dec. through March, 1st on the Dawn, then 20+ cruises on the Gem.  It’s great to take a break from winter weather here in the Northeast!  But since my sister was suddenly widowed, we switched to cruising with her in November, when she flies back here for Thanksgiving with family.

Recently we’ve decided to do both.  We have our November cruises booked through 2025, but were surprised to find less choices from NCL for longer cruises after New Years, and no 14-day cruises.

We take what we can get!  Escape 12-day sailing February 23, 2025, and the Breakaway 12 day February 22, 2026.  Would ❤️ for you to join us, Bjlaac.

BTW, yesterday we saw a former Costa ship at the MCT.  Didn’t know they sailed out of Manhattan.  It’s now called the Carnival Venezia, the first of Carnival’s new Vista-class “Costa as Carnival” ships.  Definitely looks like a Costa, not Carnival, ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Pearl = Very old and unloved,,, but will be cheaper because it is unloved. 

Prima = New and elegant 

Not necessarily. Starting price for a balcony:

Pearl: $3744

Prima: $3064

Virtually the same itinerary. Three days apart. The only difference is Pearl goes to Dublin, Prima to Liverpool.

Jan-April in the NYC - it really depends on where the cruise is going. NCL cruised these ports so many times that they need to make adjustment. How many times they missed the original port? For example, last year, one of the cruise ship was supposed to sail to Bermuda, but because of cold winter, it was redirected to a cruise to nowhere but a stop in Bahamas at night because the ship needed to dock somewhere before going back to NYC.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, kitkat343 said:

I liked the Manhattan cruise terminal.  There's a lot of public transportation options to the Manhattan terminal, and if you park there are walkable options that are cheaper than parking directly in the terminal.  The terminal itself seemed totally fine - elevators work, there were adequate numbers of counters available).

It's also pretty close to Gothem West Food Hall, the Intrepid and Dim Sum Palace. 

The Brooklyn terminal was a longer drive from where we live, plus there were no walkable options for parking besides the at the terminal itself.    I'd far prefer the Manhattan terminal due to logistics, but as long as the terminal itself is in decent condition I couldn't care less about how old or new it is.  

I'm with you, coming from PA its very easy to get to. Its great being able to park right next to the ship. We are taking a cruise out of Boston in June (driving to the port). I started looking around for parking lots, what a PITA. They have a bunch of little lots, most it seem you have to prebook your parking with. No real clear instructions, I found one but can't book yet because the calendar only goes to May. In NYC is so simple

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 8:32 PM, SoloAlaska said:

I would not have felt comfortable leaving the port alone at night.

I'm sorry (not really sorry), but every single time I see this about Manhattan, I'm going to challenge this. I know Ottawa is a super clean and vibrant city that shuts down at night. Manhattan is not like this. Hell's Kitchen, while it used to be slightly more dangerous, is not what anyone that knows the city would call uncomfortable at night. Perhaps you wouldn't feel comfortable, but I promise you, NY'er's won't laugh at you for saying "eh." I say it all the time, eh! 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:21 PM, BirdTravels said:

Prima = New and elegant 

I'm picking on you, but I've absolutely seen others say this, so don't take it personal as it seems to be quite the theory. Pr1ma looks just like a shopping mall. It's not elegant. Far from it. Industrial and minimalistic, perhaps. But, give me whimsy over elegant or shopping mall edifice any day! 

On 1/23/2024 at 10:24 PM, BirdTravels said:

Starting April, ships are repositioned out of the Caribbean for the much more popular and profitable Alaskan and European markets.

Bottom line, no cruise line used to keep their ships in the Caribbean during the very hot summer months plagued by hurricanes. It used to be very low demand. And when a ship diverts due to a hurricane, people complain about not going to the planned itinerary... in the middle of a hurricane. 

You're going to notice some announcements coming out that more ships will be in the Caribbean during the peak of hurricane season (fall). Give it a day or two. 

On 1/24/2024 at 12:26 AM, UKstages said:

i don't see this, however,  as being a factor in any real or perceived reduction in journeys from the NYC port(s). 

I'm just throwing out theories here. Do you think there is any credence to NCL having fewer cruises from Manhattan due to the upcoming congestion pricing. I have to think tractor trailers are going to get hit hard by this. Then, of course all the passengers taking Uber/Lyft/taxis/personal vehicles. It seems curious timing that NCL starts to pull away as the congestion pricing nears fruition. But, tis just a theory by a not even city dweller. 

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would not even know how to get to the Brooklyn embarkation port with out luggage. I don't know if public transportation would be possible. I do know for sure we would no be able to walk there.

I'm thinking ferry? I'm not as familiar with Red Hook, but am thinking at least one of the ferries must stop near the cruise terminal. 

46 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm sorry (not really sorry), but every single time I see this about Manhattan, I'm going to challenge this. I know Ottawa is a super clean and vibrant city that shuts down at night. Manhattan is not like this. Hell's Kitchen, while it used to be slightly more dangerous, is not what anyone that knows the city would call uncomfortable at night. Perhaps you wouldn't feel comfortable, but I promise you, NY'er's won't laugh at you for saying "eh." I say it all the time, eh! 

I'm picking on you, but I've absolutely seen others say this, so don't take it personal as it seems to be quite the theory. Pr1ma looks just like a shopping mall. It's not elegant. Far from it. Industrial and minimalistic, perhaps. But, give me whimsy over elegant or shopping mall edifice any day! 

You're going to notice some announcements coming out that more ships will be in the Caribbean during the peak of hurricane season (fall). Give it a day or two. 

I'm just throwing out theories here. Do you think there is any credence to NCL having fewer cruises from Manhattan due to the upcoming congestion pricing. I have to think tractor trailers are going to get hit hard by this. Then, of course all the passengers taking Uber/Lyft/taxis/personal vehicles. It seems curious timing that NCL starts to pull away as the congestion pricing nears fruition. But, tis just a theory by a not even city dweller. 

I'm thinking ferry? I'm not as familiar with Red Hook, but am thinking at least one of the ferries must stop near the cruise terminal. 

Young single woman in a strange city you have to do what feels comfortable. There are a few very quiet blocks closer to the terminal it didn’t help that it was raining and cold with a storm upon us. I travel solo a lot and trusting my instincts keeps me safe. I did not feel particularly unsafe in NYC but very quiet streets anywhere makes me uncomfortable.

I haven't tracked future sailings out of NYC but it seems like they are doing more ships there but for shorter stints based on recent few years.

Used to be like Dawn first go around for long time with winter sail guarantee.  Then next new ship.

Rinse and repeat.

Terminal too small for latest ships.

I don't see them leaving.  Huge market but so was China.  Typically higher prices.

Logistics probably a pain and high cost that is why you see lots of loading in PC. Speaking of which, we did the normal Florida Bahamas route on Spirit in six days with long Port times before shops slowed about 2015.  We sailed MSC and saw trucks in two Canadian ports.  Told drove from Florida.

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

That assumes we know where to catch the ferry and can get there with our luggage. As I wrote in my earlier post that you quoted, we take the bus into the city. I don't want to drive in NY City and parking costs there are ridiculously high.

Just now, ontheweb said:

That assumes we know where to catch the ferry and can get there with our luggage. As I wrote in my earlier post that you quoted, we take the bus into the city. I don't want to drive in NY City and parking costs there are ridiculously high.

Agreed. Get from Port Authority to South Ferry, wander the FDR to the terminal. Haha, I don't really want to do that either! 

I'll take my MCT! 

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:
On 1/24/2024 at 12:26 AM, UKstages said:

No way that congestion pricing ever played a role in NCL's NY-based itinerary reduction.

First, that maximum charge for a large truck...an !8-wheeler...is $36. That's a grand total of $36 dollars for a truck carrying thousands and thousands of dollars worth of food and supplies, a totally trivial amount of money.

Second, the taxi surcharge is $1:50 per ride (not per person!). Uber/Lyft surcharge is $2.50. Do you think that something less than the cost of a cup of coffee is going to dissuade anyone from taking a taxi to the cruise terminal ? 

Private vehicles will pay $15. Will I be happy? Obviously not, but again it's trivial when compared to what I'm paying in cruise fare...and less than the most recent $35 increase in one week parking rates at the pier.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No way that congestion pricing ever played a role in NCL's NY-based itinerary reduction.

First, that maximum charge for a large truck...an !8-wheeler...is $36. That's a grand total of $36 dollars for a truck carrying thousands and thousands of dollars worth of food and supplies, a totally trivial amount of money.

Second, the taxi surcharge is $1:50 per ride (not per person!). Uber/Lyft surcharge is $2.50. Do you think that something less than the cost of a cup of coffee is going to dissuade anyone from taking a taxi to the cruise terminal ? 

Private vehicles will pay $15. Will I be happy? Obviously not, but again it's trivial when compared to what I'm paying in cruise fare...and less than the most recent $35 increase in one week parking rates at the pier.

Thanks! I've been more whiny about that $15 charge. I don't like it! Because we always drive into Midtown, the village, or Lower Manhattan. That's typically where our hotel is (not just for cruises, but for our weekends). I just don't want to take the train in. I enjoy the flexibility of driving where I want. 

Given how cheap NCL is I could see them balking at the $36 price tag....ok, probably not! And, I didn't realize it was a nominal fee for ride shares. I thought they'd be paying $15 each time they entered the zone. That's what a somewhat informed, but also confused Central NY'er will bring you! Thanks for setting me on the right path.

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

There is a ferry from Pier 11 located at Wall St. and the East River that docks adjacent to the Red Hook cruise terminal. If someone is staying at a hotel in the Financial District this ferry can either  be an easy walk or at worst a short taxi ride from your hotel.

Speaking of ferries, if someone coming to the Manhattan cruise terminal via NJ wants to avoid the tolls for the Hudson River tunnels or GW bridge, avoid  the congestion pricing, as well as pay significantly less in parking, they can park at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken and take the 9 minute ferry ride across the Hudson to the ferry terminal at 12th Ave. and 39th St...just a short walk to Pier 88.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hell's Kitchen, while it used to be slightly more dangerous, is not what anyone that knows the city would call uncomfortable at night.

as many denizens of the forum know, i am a hell's kitchen resident, with an apartment located between the broadway theatre district and the manhattan cruise terminal. i share your opinion, with one minor caveat: if you happen to be on one of those rare itineraries that has an overnight in manhattan, either by planning or because they are avoiding weather elsewhere, venturing out at night from 12th avenue and 48th street could be a little challenging. it's rather deserted, with very little foot traffic and lots of speeding vehicles. if returning to the ship at night, i'd take a cab or car service.

arriving at 10 AM or noon or whatever on your embarkation day? no problem. walking from your midtown hotel to the cruise terminal? no problem.

Pr1ma looks just like a shopping mall.

and a good number of the cabins sound like a haunted mansion. 

Do you think there is any credence to NCL having fewer cruises from Manhattan due to the upcoming congestion pricing. I have to think tractor trailers are going to get hit hard by this. Then, of course all the passengers taking Uber/Lyft/taxis/personal vehicles. It seems curious timing that NCL starts to pull away as the congestion pricing nears fruition. But, tis just a theory by a not even city dweller. 

i don't think this would be a major factor. it's difficult to predict the impact on the cost of delivering goods, but the most a truck would be charged is $36. even if there were twenty trucks, that would be less than a thousand dollars... a mere rounding error when you consider the revenue on a typical cruise out of the new york market. as for passenger cars... the fee will be $15, again, not a major deterrent. and while many do drive and park, far more arrive by bus and train and other forms of public transportation. 

what i do think will impact cruise lines desire or ability to cruise out of manhattan is legislation requiring the ships to be on shore power while docked and stricter enforcement of existing laws related to trucks idling while waiting as long as 24 hours to deliver their goods. both of these issues have been discussed in other threads.

Edited by UKstages
  • Thanks 1

Pr1ma looks just like a shopping mall. It's not elegant.

the newer Royal Caribbean ships have a bigger shopping mall feel to them. the Royal Esplanade has big mall like vibes 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, shof515 said:

the newer Royal Caribbean ships have a bigger shopping mall feel to them. the Royal Esplanade has big mall like vibes 

And yet....I really want to experience Icon! I'm cra cra! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Speaking of ferries, if someone coming to the Manhattan cruise terminal via NJ wants to avoid the tolls for the Hudson River tunnels or GW bridge, avoid  the congestion pricing, as well as pay significantly less in parking, they can park at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken and take the 9 minute ferry ride across the Hudson to the ferry terminal at 12th Ave. and 39th St...just a short walk to Pier 88.

@njhorseman you are always a great resource of information, esp I recall during Covid setting the record straight on Bermuda regulations.  Anyway, this ferry option sounds amazing.  Can you actually leave your car at the Weekawken pier (safely) for a week?

6 hours ago, UKstages said:

as many denizens of the forum know, i am a hell's kitchen resident, with an apartment located between the broadway theatre district and the manhattan cruise terminal. i share your opinion, with one minor caveat: if you happen to be on one of those rare itineraries that has an overnight in manhattan, either by planning or because they are avoiding weather elsewhere, venturing out at night from 12th avenue and 48th street could be a little challenging. it's rather deserted, with very little foot traffic and lots of speeding vehicles. if returning to the ship at night, i'd take a cab or car service.

arriving at 10 AM or noon or whatever on your embarkation day? no problem. walking from your midtown hotel to the cruise terminal? no problem.

and a good number of the cabins sound like a haunted mansion. 

i don't think this would be a major factor. it's difficult to predict the impact on the cost of delivering goods, but the most a truck would be charged is $36. even if there were twenty trucks, that would be less than a thousand dollars... a mere rounding error when you consider the revenue on a typical cruise out of the new york market. as for passenger cars... the fee will be $15, again, not a major deterrent. and while many do drive and park, far more arrive by bus and train and other forms of public transportation. 

what i do think will impact cruise lines desire or ability to cruise out of manhattan is legislation requiring the ships to be on shore power while docked and stricter enforcement of existing laws related to trucks idling while waiting as long as 24 hours to deliver their goods. both of these issues have been discussed in other threads.

We ended up having 2 overnights in port due to weather.  It was odd to have a floating hotel in NYC.

4 hours ago, JGmf said:

@njhorseman you are always a great resource of information, esp I recall during Covid setting the record straight on Bermuda regulations. 

Thank you..

4 hours ago, JGmf said:

Anyway, this ferry option sounds amazing.  Can you actually leave your car at the Weekawken pier (safely) for a week?

Yes, it's absolutely OK to park there. This is a very busy commuter ferry route and is also used by many people visiting the city for the day. There are two large garages. the one closest to the ferry terminal...directly across the street...costs $22 per day and the garage that's a block or two further away costs $20 per day.

• Thanks 1

I just looked to hop on an NCL in March from NYC and there is just the Getaway.

We dislike that ship, so that ends it for us.
It seems to me CAS has been really trying to get us back.  We get offers every other day to book our free cruise...lol
We've been sailing on the Venezia and Royal for the past year.  I do miss the Haven but I won't sail on the Getaway ever again.
Hated it in Miami, hated it even more from NY. 
The Prima doesn't look appealing for cold weather, so that ship is out for us too. 

1 hour ago, MaryZ said:

The Prima doesn't look appealing for cold weather, so that ship is out for us too. 

Yeah if there's one thing for sure on the Prima class ships, they're 100% designed for warm weather.  

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The East Coast Departures forum will give you all the info you need to get to the Brooklyn cruise terminal from Manhattan 

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

but you saved between $700 and $800, which would have been the rate for two nights in a hotel in midtown!

Absolutely it was a surprise and we missed Bermuda but it was nice to see a bit of NYC again. Unfortunately I was really sick so I only went out once but my view of the intrepid was pretty cool.