FCD Queation

cusematt4

Hi,

if my family while onboard books a future cruise deposit for a 17 plus night cruise in a suite, would we each get a 150 obc?  Would we need to book a specific 17 night or longer cruise?

Also, is it only refundable if not actually booked and used after a year, or do we have the option to cancel at any time for a refund if we realize we’d rather take another cruise with a different cruise line during that timeframe?  If we book a cruise and put down the future cruise deposit and were to cancel, are there any caveats to be able to get the full deposit refunded?

Thank you.

You have lots of questions.  

Do you have a current FCD or are you thinking about buying one while onboard a cruise?

If you have an FCD, yes, you can book a cruise on/off a ship.

If you decide to purchase FCDs for everyone, be absolutely sure you have a hard copy or confirmation that you purchased the FCD BEFORE booking a cruise on/off the ship.

Everyone who puts down a deposit with a FCD for a suite/on a cruise of 17 days or longer will get $150 OBC.

If you cancel the cruise, Princess will rebank your FCD (not always right away) which you will  be able to use on another cruise....before the FCD expires.  You may book for a cruise further out than a year.

In my opinion, a FCD is one of the best investments one can possibly make.  $100 in the bank with zero interest or tie up $100 for up to a year (or more) for a return of up to $150.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Thanks so much.  If I book a cruise with a put down a fcd while onboard, it seems each of us would get the applicable current obc.

If we had to cancel and not go ahead with the deposited cruise, is the 100 pp fully refundable at any time, or would we have to wait a year to get the refund?  

If the fcd went unused and was refunded within or after the year, would princess rescind the obv that was given for the past cruise, or would that remain having already been used?

The FCD is fully refundable.  Before the year is up, you can ask for an extension using this form:  http://princess.com/refund-request

I have never asked for a refund before the year is up (never saw a need to).  More often, I regretted not having one on the books.

Don't understand the last statement.  If you used the FCD to book, cruised, and used the OBC, there would be no unused FCD.  The FCD would be your deposit and $100 would be deducted at final payment.  

If you book a cruise on board you will receive the benefits of an FCD, $100 deposit plus the OBC for each person. Those deposits then become subject to the passage contract cancellation policy as well as the terms and conditions of any promo. Examples: If you book using a promo that has a non refundable deposit then you are subject to lose the $100 if you cancel. If you cancel inside the cancellation window then you lose whatever the passage contract indicates. If the deposit is refundable and you cancel outside the widow then the deposit(FCD) will be placed into your Princess account. If unused after the one year expiration you will receive a check in the mail. It is possible to request a check earlier, but with Princess' current customer service it may take some effort.

What I do is just purchase the FCD's. I then wait until I'm home to  think through what I wish to do while I'm not under the pressure of an on board sales person and not on a cruise high. 

• Thanks 1

The one thing that I think needs to be clear for the OP is that there has to be a FCD for EACH person, and then each person's deposit is covered, as well as each person getting OBC, not just one FCD for the cruise. 🙂

• Like 1

Appreciate all the info.  Very helpful.

We are looking to do a 18-21 day cruise, so definitely would love to give a $100 refundable deposit per person for $150 in OBC.

Just want to be sure that if we had to cancel that cruise that it is 100% refundable.  We will make sure the cruise/rate we pick is for a refundable deposit rate.

Thanks so much.

One additional bit of information. many 18 to 21 day cruises are really 2 or 3 cruises b2b. If so the voyage is probably offered as a single booking. It may also be offered as two or three separate cruises. Check pricing, OBC and benefits both ways as a single booking or as separate bookings. No matter how booked on board you will have a single roll account. Any + charges will be charged to your credit card on disembarkation day.

4 hours ago, jwattle said:

The one thing that I think needs to be clear for the OP is that there has to be a FCD for EACH person, and then each person's deposit is covered, as well as each person getting OBC, not just one FCD for the cruise. 🙂

Another thing for the OP to understand: If the FCD is refunded it will be refunded to the account of the person who has the FCD. In other words, if you use for yourself, one for your spouse, one for a daughter, and one for a son and then cancel the cruise and get the FCD refunded it will be refunded to their accounts - not to yours.

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Another thing for the OP to understand: If the FCD is refunded it will be refunded to the account of the person who has the FCD. In other words, if you use for yourself, one for your spouse, one for a daughter, and one for a son and then cancel the cruise and get the FCD refunded it will be refunded to their accounts - not to yours.

Thanks for clarifying this.  If I pay for all family members’ fcd on my one card, if we choose at a later time not to go ahead with the cruise or a different cruise, I assume I’d get the credit card refund for each person to the original method of payment for the $100 each?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks for clarifying this.  If I pay for all family members’ fcd on my one card, if we choose at a later time not to go ahead with the cruise or a different cruise, I assume I’d get the credit card refund for each person to the original method of payment for the $100 each?

If the FCD is in someone else's name and it gets refunded the refund goes to their Princess account. The FCD is in their name so the refunded FCD is in their name. They have an FCD refund. Be very careful...

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

If the FCD is in someone else's name and it gets refunded the refund goes to their Princess account. The FCD is in their name so the refunded FCD is in their name. They have an FCD refund. Be very careful...

That's not my experience. I paid for two FCD's, one for me and one for my partner, and as I paid for both I was refunded both. On many occasions Princess would only have the one credit/debit card on file for a couple.

11 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Not the way it works. Once an FCD is used as a deposit it becomes cash. If the cruise is cancelled the FCD is deposited into each individual's Princess account. Yes, each person will have their own account. Once the one year time limit expires Princess arranges through a third party to send a check to the individual. If you want the money back you will have to have to get the cash from the individuals involved. 

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you want more OBC...look into purchasing Carnival Stock CCL.  Has anyone served in the military?  They will also get OBC (I don't know how to claim that).

Princess Shareholder Request Form 0315_R3.pdf 57.66 kB · 1 download

Just of note, you now have to go through StockPerks to request the OBC for stock.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skynight said:

Not the way it works. Once an FCD is used as a deposit it becomes cash. If the cruise is cancelled the FCD is deposited into each individual's Princess account. Yes, each person will have their own account. Once the one year time limit expires Princess arranges through a third party to send a check to the individual. If you want the money back you will have to have to get the cash from the individuals involved. 

Thanks.  Just to confirm, if we realize we want a refund before the end of the year can we request cash refunds via check or credit card refund for each of us at any time?  Is this definitely fully refundable at any time for money back for the deposit and not just for a future princess credit?

Fairly certain it's this way. If the cruise you booked has a refundable deposit you can cancel at any time prior to the 90 day period in the passage contract and you will get the deposit back. If your booking has a non refundable deposit you lose it. 

37 minutes ago, skynight said:

Fairly certain it's this way. If the cruise you booked has a refundable deposit you can cancel at any time prior to the 90 day period in the passage contract and you will get the deposit back. If your booking has a non refundable deposit you lose it. 

I’m pretty sure you are right!