Age demographic

Cruiscs

Hi. We are a couple in our 30s looking for a relaxing trip in the eastern Mediterranean later this year. We have looked on several 9,10 and 11 nights itineraries from late August to early October. We try do avoid too many kids (like We have experienced on RCL at peak season). Also suprised how many kids there where last year on Celebrity E class during the peak season.  However we dont want a nursery home either. 

Any of you who have been on a longer Med cruise in september and October who would like to share their experiences? Thank you

Edited by Cruiscs

My husband and I have taken 16 Celebrity Fall Med cruises. I never recall seeing any children on these sailings and if there were we never had an issue.

Should add that when we sailed with our Family (eight adults and eight grandkids) we sailed RCI  because we knew the grandkids would have a much better time.

I've sailed often in the Med.    As you suggested on shorter cruise at the peak of the summer months Mid-June to Early September you will find many younger families with many children.   After school is back in season you will see fewer children.

Another commonality of cruises is the longer the cruise the more senior population they attract.   That is probably due to the fact that prices are lower and many are limited to the amount of vacation time available and maximum amount many still working can take at one time.

• Like 2

I find those months to be a wonderful time to cruise.  We have cruises booked(b2b) during Sept/Oct for 2025.  The Eastern Med is our favorite, making it to Israel, Greece Turkey, Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia etc.  Very few children, interesting people, wonderful ports and excellent weather.  Lots of exciting and educational things to do and see.

• Like 2

I worked for Celebrity as youth staff and a general rule of thumb, if school is in session there will be fewer kids onboard. Back then, at least, it would average less than 30 kids after the fall semester began. 

We also took the 10 night Greece, Italy, Montenegro, and Croatia in June 2022. We were both late 30’s at the time. That was best cruise we have ever been on. Admittedly it was only 2/3 full but it was the ports that really made the trip. The ship itself, Reflection, had a good mix of folks and was also really incredible. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

Bur will there be young couples in their 30s or 40s?

If you watch the Celebrity commercials on television, you would think so as there are no elderly in the commercial.  Just the young, beautiful people. There will be some  in that age group but will be  in the minority.  On my cruises, the ages have been the 50 plus crowd.  And often in the 50 PLUS....  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Bur will there be young couples in their 30s or 40s?

That is NOT the demographic of Celebrity cruisers. The majority of the passengers will be 50-80. If you want to sail with younger passengers and not Royal then I would suggest NCL, Virgin or even MSC. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Hi. We are a couple in our 30s looking for a relaxing trip in the eastern Mediterranean later this year. We have looked on several 9,10 and 11 nights itineraries from late August to early October. We try do avoid too many kids (like We have experienced on RCL at peak season). Also suprised how many kids there where last year on Celebrity E class during the peak season.  However we dont want a nursery home either. 

Any of you who have been on a longer Med cruise in september and October who would like to share their experiences? Thank you

If I were you I would seriously consider NCL. We sailed on the brand new NCL Viva in December on a Caribbean cruise and just back last week from the Celebrity Ascent also Caribbean. The passenger makeup between the two flagships on a similar offseason Caribbean cruise was stark. The Viva is a beautiful ship and can compare favorably with Celebrity's E-Class ships. The MDR food was about on par with the Ascent but the Ascent's buffet can't be beat. The Viva has a food hall that included and a great alternative to their buffet.  I see the Viva is doing itineraries you're interested in the timeframes you're looking at. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That is NOT the demographic of Celebrity cruisers. The majority of the passengers will be 50-80. If you want to sail with younger passengers and not Royal then I would suggest NCL, Virgin or even MSC. 

Rubbish. Granted there will be many of that range not the majority in MY EXPERIENCE 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The passenger makeup between the two flagships on a similar offseason Caribbean cruise was stark.  I see the Viva is doing itineraries you're interested in the timeframes you're looking at. 

As I said we are looking for a relaxing vacation without hordes of kids but at the same time not feeling we are at a retirement home. So it is no middle ground - either families with kids or the majority are 80++?

Edited by Cruiscs

Instead of being rude and personally attacking someone for their observations like I've seen here I will add my observations.    They are of course the observation of a Double Zenith so I do have a little experience.

As I said earlier, the demographics will vary by many factors and what someone else may observe on a different time of year or region.

Since the OP is speaking about the Med in Late August to November - Here's my observation

First off we will go with Month -

August - September    50/50  Over and under 50

October and November -  60% over 50 and increasing as you get to TA's.   Many of us that do TA's like to add on a Med prior to the crossing

Ships - I've been observing that the E-Class have a tenancy to attract younger cruisers due to  their desire of the latest and greatest.    Many of the older and more seasoned travelers enjoy the smaller M and S, both due to lower cost and enjoy the size of the smaller ships.  

over and under 50

September  55 Over 50

October / November  50%

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

As I said we are looking for a relaxing vacation without hordes of kids but at the same time not feeling we are at a retirement home. So it is no middle ground - either families with kids or the majority are 80++?

To be honest I have never been on a  Celebrity Cruise anywhere in the world that had either a huge number of children nor the majority over 80+    In fact I would dare to estimate that the demographics of 80+ is probably less than 10%.

It really depends on what your expectations are on a cruise and what you enjoy doing.   First off Mediterranean Cruises are VERY port intensive and generally you will only have 2 days at sea.   All other days you will arrive in port Very Early and Depart  6-9PM.    While on board they will have so much to do from Silent Disco, Late Night parties etc that those that are young and can live on little to no sleep will find many in their age group out and about to enjoy.  

On Med cruises you will find activities from Very Strenuous to kicked back laying on a beach.     I think you will find many others in your age group by participating on Excursions  like Kayaking, Bicycle Riding etc that would attract people of similar interest to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Our experience over many, many years of sailing with X has been that the demographic of their passengers is usually a wide range of ages. 
We have never seen “hordes of kids” on any of our cruises either.

• Like 1

Older, 50s+ I would say. I'm a solo cruiser in my 30s and from the two I've done on Celebrity, I have only seen one other traveler who was roughly my age. I did a Med cruise last year and the demographic skewed 60+. I don't recall seeing anyone my age on that cruise.

Edited to add: that being said, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Almost every friend I've made on a Celebrity cruise has been someone in their 60s or 70s that I met at the martini bar.

Edited by critic2023
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest I have never been on a  Celebrity Cruise anywhere in the world that had either a huge number of children nor the majority over 80+    In fact I would dare to estimate that the demographics of 80+ is probably less than 10%.

It really depends on what your expectations are on a cruise and what you enjoy doing.   First off Mediterranean Cruises are VERY port intensive and generally you will only have 2 days at sea.   All other days you will arrive in port Very Early and Depart  6-9PM.    While on board they will have so much to do from Silent Disco, Late Night parties etc that those that are young and can live on little to no sleep will find many in their age group out and about to enjoy.  

On Med cruises you will find activities from Very Strenuous to kicked back laying on a beach.     I think you will find many others in your age group by participating on Excursions  like Kayaking, Bicycle Riding etc that would attract people of similar interest to you. 

Thanks. 

I don’t like cruising with a lot of kids either.  So can you tell me which cruise date you’ll be on?  If you really want no kids then Viking is for you but pax are older.  Maybe Virgin?  🥸

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Sailing that time of year. you should not find families with children being an issue.  On some cruises, I did feel I was  on a retirement home cruise.  Many wheelchairs on board. Great people.   However, we still had a very good time even though we were younger than the majority of cruisers.  With Celebrity, we found that there was a lower energy level on board as compared to other lines. Relaxed atmosphere.

37 minutes ago, keesar said:

Sailing that time of year. you should not find families with children being an issue.  On some cruises, I did feel I was  on a retirement home cruise.  Many wheelchairs on board. Great people.   However, we still had a very good time even though we were younger than the majority of cruisers.  With Celebrity, we found that there was a lower energy level on board as compared to other lines. Relaxed atmosphere.

OP should consider that they have family time in the Solarium for an hour or two in the afternoon and there may be families with children there.  Most are quite nice and friendly and well behaved.

Edited by zitsky

3 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Never, ever been on a cruise with any line where 80+ age was a majority...not even close...

Says the person who has never sailed on Viking….

• Haha 2