The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 28th, 2024

kazu

Today is American Immigration Lawyers Association Day of Ac, Christa McAuliffe Day, and Daisy Day

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. - Marie Curie

Meal Suggestion for today - Kale, Wild Rice & Chicken Stew
Drink of the Day - Absinthe
Wine of the Day - 2015 Genesis X
Destination of the Day - Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Today in History:
1521 Emperor Charles V opens the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany which lasts until May 25th
1986 Space shuttle challenger explodes 73 seconds after liftoff from Cape Canaveral, with all 7 crew members killed, including Christa McAuliffe who was to be the first teacher in space

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-29

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Ensenada, Baja California Mexico eta 01-29

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Tortola Island BVI, Road Town, UK Virgin Islands eta 01-30

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-17:00 

Oosterdam

Buenos Aires, Argentina 08:00 

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-29

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Panama Canal eta 01-29

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Manzanillo, Mexico Riviera eta 01-29

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Napier, New Zealand 12:00 - 23:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Brisbane, Queensland Australia eta 01-30

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Da Nang, Hue, Vietnam eta 01-30

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Ger_77’s DH Maurice having breathlessness; getting changes in meds/PM

Vict0riann’s DH Pat having nosebleeds

Cruzin Terri driving to Jacksonville, then flying to Miami 1/29

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with pulmonary issues

Atexsix’s DD now in hospice care

Seasick Sailor’s friend Ron with multiple medical issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

RMLincoln’d DH’s doing well after eye surgery

HAL Sailer’s DH helped by his epidural injection

Superoma covering the Daily meal recipe while dfish is cruising

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for 0106 (Oosterdam Jan 29 to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica

2 days for summer slope (Koningsdam Jan 30 to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii

2 days for Sharon in AZ (Koningsdam Jan 30 to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii

2 days for Quartzsite Cruiser (Koningsdam Jan 30 to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii

2 days for Dfish (Koningsdam Jan 30 to Feb 17) 18d Circle Hawaii, with Sue

3 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Vista Jan 31 to Feb 11) 11d Windward Islands Explorer Miami to Miami

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer),Tupper10 (Rotterdam to Feb 4, 9d Southern Caribbean), Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  It was rainy overnight and the temp is down to 44 degrees.  It might be cloudy today and either 60 degrees or 46 degrees depending on which weather app you believe.  That's a big difference of opinion.  I'll take 60.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily and the fleet maps this morning.  We appreciate you!  I don't know that I can discuss American Immigration Lawyers Association Day of Action right now because immigration is such a mess in this country at the current time.  It used to be done legally but now is primarily done illegally and no one can deny that.  Instead let me recognize teacher Christa McAuliffe and the sacrifice of her life for her love of space exploring.  I will never forget the day the Challenger exploded. 😪  Daisies are a lovely yet simple flower.  It's a bit early to wrap my brain around a Marie Curie quote.  I'm sure the kale, wild rice and chicken stew will be just delicious.  I think I'll skip the cocktail and wine.  I see the Diet of Worms isn't what it sounds like so I can appreciate that day in history.  Thank you to our F&B helpers, Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard for reports today.  I'm almost positive Paul was taking over for Dixie @summer slope but I'm not sure if that day starts today or not.  At any rate safe travels to Debbie @dfish and Sue, Dixie @summer slope and George and any other Dailyites traveling today!

Prayers for all on our Care list and hope for better news for you all, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages from Israel still held, our troops in danger of attack on bases and at sea, and my family and friends in need of them. 🙏  A big cheer for those cruising or heading to one, plus those celebrating big events like birthdays and anniversaries! 🥂🎂  Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists!  Great job!!

The port today is another Puntarenas (different spelling) in Costa Rica (for Puerto Caldera).  Last two times we had it was Sept. 22, 2021 and April 9, 2023.  A short group of photos will follow the links.

I hope all here enjoy a fabulous Sunday!  Stay safe and keep well!

We've been to Puntarenas three times - on Star Princess 2012, Ruby Princess 2015 and Westerdam in 2016.  These photos were from 2015.

This restaurant seemed to be a popular place to stop and take a photo. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8TrzBW0TwU-4qKISVALow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216991

This is an interesting way to spend a half hour, watching all the people scurrying off the ships in port.  Also watching those buses back up on the narrow pier for a quarter of a mile or so.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYXBW-RlfeW5bs9dw_koPe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216975

On my first trip to Costa Rica on Star Princess in 2012 we took a tour but I'm not even sure where the bus took us.  We thought it was Puntarenas and I know it wasn't very far away.  We stopped at this local square and watched the children dance. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGNeDt296-k0kPCsJe0AiR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632316836

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsFchFFxyzdY7bccqnRlqA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632314215

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHRShFonmDE2_7KRlrXDUs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332645566

The square was across the street from this church. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaqxQat5Q4ZqzZJtIcDM95?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632316821

The remainder of our times in Puntarenas, we just stuck close to the pier and walked through the small town.  Hoping to see everyone's photos of Puntarenas!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was rainy overnight and the temp is down to 44 degrees.  It might be cloudy today and either 60 degrees or 46 degrees depending on which weather app you believe.  That's a big difference of opinion.  I'll take 60.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for the Fleet Report and Daily and the fleet maps this morning.  We appreciate you!  I don't know that I can discuss American Immigration Lawyers Association Day of Action right now because immigration is such a mess in this country at the current time.  It used to be done legally but now is primarily done illegally and no one can deny that.  Instead let me recognize teacher Christa McAuliffe and the sacrifice of her life for her love of space exploring.  I will never forget the day the Challenger exploded. 😪  Daisies are a lovely yet simple flower.  It's a bit early to wrap my brain around a Marie Curie quote.  I'm sure the kale, wild rice and chicken stew will be just delicious.  I think I'll skip the cocktail and wine.  I see the Diet of Worms isn't what it sounds like so I can appreciate that day in history.  Thank you to our F&B helpers, Eva @superoma, Paul @kochleffel and Ann @cat shepard for reports today.  I'm almost positive Paul was taking over for Dixie @summer slope but I'm not sure if that day starts today or not.  At any rate safe travels to Debbie @dfish and Sue, Dixie @summer slope and George and any other Dailyites traveling today!

Prayers for all on our Care list and hope for better news for you all, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages from Israel still held, our troops in danger of attack on bases and at sea, and my family and friends in need of them. 🙏  A big cheer for those cruising or heading to one, plus those celebrating big events like birthdays and anniversaries! 🥂🎂  Thank you so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on the lists!  Great job!!

The port today is another Puntarenas (different spelling) in Costa Rica (for Puerto Caldera).  Last two times we had it was Sept. 22, 2021 and April 9, 2023.  A short group of photos will follow the links.

I hope all here enjoy a fabulous Sunday!  Stay safe and keep well!

We've been to Puntarenas three times - on Star Princess 2012, Ruby Princess 2015 and Westerdam in 2016.  These photos were from 2015.

This restaurant seemed to be a popular place to stop and take a photo. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8TrzBW0TwU-4qKISVALow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216991

This is an interesting way to spend a half hour, watching all the people scurrying off the ships in port.  Also watching those buses back up on the narrow pier for a quarter of a mile or so.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYXBW-RlfeW5bs9dw_koPe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427216975

On my first trip to Costa Rica on Star Princess in 2012 we took a tour but I'm not even sure where the bus took us.  We thought it was Puntarenas and I know it wasn't very far away.  We stopped at this local square and watched the children dance. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGNeDt296-k0kPCsJe0AiR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632316836

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsFchFFxyzdY7bccqnRlqA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632314215

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHRShFonmDE2_7KRlrXDUs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1332645566

The square was across the street from this church. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaqxQat5Q4ZqzZJtIcDM95?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632316821

The remainder of our times in Puntarenas, we just stuck close to the pier and walked through the small town.  Hoping to see everyone's photos of Puntarenas!

Nice photos Sandi.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

It is 45°F and sunny here.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days.

Nice quote from Marie Currie.

Never been to today's port so as always I am looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for all they can help.

Take care and stay safe.

• Like 16

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today we are expecting some morning snow and then a bunch more overnight, I think in total we are expecting about 3” by lunchtime tomorrow.  Not a big deal but I’ll prepare the snowblower in a bit.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I look forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish.  Yesterday after the morning shopping I laid down in bed for a few hours and Jasper curled up beside me and purred away.  Most of the day I felt tired but not nearly as bad as the first dose.  Today all is good.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.b8229a217dacb68cb7ce3fb3f4309dad.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the report and a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this thread.  It's such a comforting way to start my day. 

Cool and cloudy here, but it should get above freezing by afternoon, so more snow will melt.

I will celebrate good lawyers, daisies and Christa McAuliffe.

Not sure about the quote, it's too early to think such big thoughts.

The meal sounds good but we had chicken last night for dinner.  I need something else for tonight, I'm thinking beef stroganoff.  I'm not sure about the drink or wine.

Prayers for so many in our crazy world.  Cheers for all the celebrations no matter how small.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 28

Happy Sunday all and thanks to Roy, Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie for their dedication and Eva for stepping up and filling in for Debbie 👍 

Good collection of days especially remembering Christa McAulliffe and who doesn’t like daisies?  I like the Marie Curie quote.  Two big days in history - one of unification and one of sadness.  Loved Punta Arenas - thanks @StLouisCruisers for the memories.

IMG_2019.jpeg.40e1fd29aec5b0883d80bba189787c72.jpeg

Snow & blizzard warnings for tomorrow.  I don’t have to go anywhere so I’ll watch it from inside.   Going to try to accomplish a few things today, carefully & do my Arts and Craft project - luggage tags for my BFF and I 😊 

IMG_1490.thumb.jpeg.57abe8e114c27940348edaeb26b72b8c.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 28
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy thank you for our maps. It is already 70 here and beautiful. But the rain is supposed to cool everything down again this week. It should not get as cold as last week end - and not sure about the winds. 
IMG_2497.jpeg.6b682398b539be5394dced69f4bd4f0c.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. I wish you could fast forward to your appointment with the radiologist. I can not believe I would be able to handle it. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores. More floor cleaning!

IMG_2498.jpeg.efece16ec085635b7241e16422938ff9.jpeg

IMG_2495.jpeg.3ef30736ac7ed10d8cb04affddee909c.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg.52f75f127f05b75ca63533959245c231.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2015 Genesis XII

This is our first wine from Georgia. Note: I changed the name, because Genesis X is no longer available. Small vineyard, only 689 cases. Very elusive and quite pricey. If you can find it, it will cost in the vicinity of $65.00.

Winemaker’s notes

Genesis is our "flagship" wine and also our best-selling wine! The Miller's eldest daughter Elizabeth named it after the first book of the bible - since it was Yonah's first wine they ever made, and it was their beginning. We source these high-quality grapes mainly from Beckstoffer Vineyards in Lake County, California, to capture the taste and style that the Millers wanted to bring to Georgia. These Vineyards produce 3,600 acres of some of the highest quality grapes in the world. Each generation of Genesis is a unique Bordeaux style blend, and technically Genesis 12 would be considered a "Right Bank Bordeaux"

Genesis 12 bottleTECHNICAL INFORMATION

Appellation: 100% California - Lake County
Varietal: 40% Merlot, 30% cabernet sauvignon, 27% Malbec, 4% Cabernet Franc
Alc/Vol:  14.6%
Harvest Date:  Original Genesis was a 2006 harvest. We add some of the previous Genesis to the next one, so it is considered a NonVintage Wine.  
Bottled: March 2022
Cases Produced: 689
To find the blend for Gen 12 Tristen tasted through 95 barrels to find the best of best--also known as "barrel select". Only 32 barrels made the cut.
Gen 12 is made from 3 different vintages, 2015 (10%), 2016 (50%) and 2017 (40%), and aged in majority French oak along with a little Hungarian thrown in to aid in mid-palate mouthfeel.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 5

So, a few technical difficulties on my end with copy and paste from the iPad but I got the pictures to show. 

Kale, wild rice and chicken stew sounds like a good meal on the rainy day we are having. . 

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7868501/kale-wild-rice-chicken-stew/

image.png.06f0f263d5649f3fc48ba971f888d7bc.png

I chose this recipe because it is done in a slow cooker.

https://bridgetownnutrition.com/crockpot-wild-rice-chicken-kale-stew-low-fodmap-gf-df/

This one calls for an unknown to me stock powder. I would just use one I have on hand

image.png.b0552b36b7031bf2d8b3c5bef4238a5f.png

https://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/90423-chicken-and-wild-rice-stew-with-kale

sorry, no picture.

I like this one.

https://www.barleyandsage.com/chicken-and-wild-rice-soup/

image.thumb.png.bac64e46a2282230f937895f3c234495.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 17

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

Rainy morning preceding a cool front, high today will be 74 but then in the 60s for a few days with lows in the mid 50s

Interesting quote and days, will never forget the explosion of the Challenger Space Shuttle with Christa McAauliffe being one of Astronauts who were killed in the explosion, sad day for the United States

Food sounds good

We have been to Costa Rica a few times, one time we took a nice tram ride over the rain forest. Also got a kick out of seeing the cutter ants at work 

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Well that was interesting, posting this morning. CC likes things done a certain way so that’s what I will do. I have the pages prepared but it won’t let  me copy and paste the entire page with the pictures so I will paste each picture separately! As long as it works I am happy.

debbie @dfishwill have a wet ride to the airport this morning. Good thing it is Sunday and traffic is not as heavy as during the week. I need to go out in this to the big box store. I got the rebate check from my affinity credit card to spend there and Sunday morning is not as busy as during the week.

not much else happening today until the big game at 6:30 EST. GO LIONS.

• Like 29

Good morning from the Detroit airport!  No problems getting to the airport this morning and the first flight was on time and smooth.  Knowing we were heading to a cruise made it a little easier to jump out of bed at 3:30 am!

Fabulous job, Eva @superoma!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning from the Detroit airport!  No problems getting to the airport this morning and the first flight was on time and smooth.  Knowing we were heading to a cruise made it a little easier to jump out of bed at 3:30 am!

Fabulous job, Eva @superoma!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Have a great cruise!

• Like 19

Happy Sunday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Just another rainy Sunday here. I go a dirty look from Fancy when I took her out this morning. She was blaming me for the rain. 

Nothing much going on today. Starting to plan my vegetable garden. I want to start it as soon as the weather permits. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.a0beae37014c6fe974aa5a9948dbe1c8.png

• Like 26

Good Morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. It should be a very nice here to celebrate the days as it will climb up to the mid 70s under cloudy skies. Love the quote, the meal sounds interesting and will pass on the drink and wine.  I went to Costa Rica on my last cruise but it was Puerto Limon. I had to look up what the Diet of Worms was and I remember watching the explosion of the Challenger and the faces of those watching.  Such a sad day.

IMG_4126.thumb.JPG.ae7dee21eacaf28d730e20c8ebf27cd0.JPG

Woke up in a funk so the goal of the day is to get out of it.  I need some motivation, I think, so maybe trying some new recipes or working on a project.  Or nothing at all.  Who knows. I do need to go out and get some stuff so maybe I will do that early.

IMG_4127.JPG.82355e02d13172f528189291735848aa.JPG

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to the many of you who are celebrating and cruising or getting ready to.

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4124.thumb.JPG.55444ceefbbdfa3499b158e9a063759c.JPG

• Like 16
  • Haha 14

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

YAY - hope the connecting flight is on time and as smooth 🤞 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 21

Good rainy morning, it’s supposed to last all day and then snow flurries tonight. 
I remember being at work when the news reports said that Challenger exploded. Sad day.

@grapau27, sorry to hear about Marks& Spencer closing near you. I love the food hall and miss getting to the UK for retail therapy.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1