Gov warning travel to Bahamas

oatbagg1

We usually do not get off in Nassau. However, the end of November we did a food tour with Tru Bahamian Tours and had a great time. I felt 100% safe the entire time. The guides were great. I feel for the tour companies like this one that may lose business over the actions of a few. 

The US State Department has no interest in unnecessarily hurting the most lucrative business in Nassau.  They also know who the victims are and where and when crimes occurred.   I'd tend to listen to them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tish78 said:

Do the cruise lines ever change their port of call do to security alerts? I would love to go to Celebrity’s island in stead of Nassau. Is that possible?

Your question as to whether lines EVER CHANGE.   Yes they do.    Good example would be the cancellation of the Israeli  cruise and the cancellation of Aqaba on the recent World Cruise.  All cruise lines monitor world and port situations and make changes after careful risk assessment. 

Will the change Nassau? -  I personally doubt it.

The State Department publishes Security Alerts so U.S. Citizens know of risks in foreign locations. 

Just a couple Statistics on Homicides in 2023.   Not picking on any location but we are probably more at risk In Fll and MIA than in Bahamas.

San Francisco    53

Miami     31

Chicago 617

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

San Francisco    53

Miami     31

Chicago 617

Denominator?

Not disagreeing, but the population of Chicago is 10 times that of Nassau. 18/month for 12 months times 10 would be 2160. Much higher than Chicago. 

For the record, I think you’re more likely to wander into a dangerous setting somewhere you feel comfortable, but adjusted for population Nassau is having real issues. At a rate higher than Chicago. If it starts impacting day tourists (cruisers) it would be really bad. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahasamatman said:

Haiti is only half of Hispaniola. It's like saying the Korean Peninsula is North Korea.

No mansplaining necessary.  I know that Haiti is half, the other half is the DR.  I can read a map.  The US State dept advises against going to Haiti.  Not sure what the Canadian Government says.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Denominator?

Not disagreeing, but the population of Chicago is 10 times that of Nassau. 18/month for 12 months times 10 would be 2160. Much higher than Chicago. 

For the record, I think you’re more likely to wander into a dangerous setting somewhere you feel comfortable, but adjusted for population Nassau is having real issues. At a rate higher than Chicago. If it starts impacting day tourists (cruisers) it would be really bad. 

Don't disagree.   The population of Nassau doesn't take into consideration 8 Million Plus visitors.   While I didn't look into very deeply the news reports I've read are that much of the deaths are gang related and have not seen any reports of tourists being targeted. 

My point is that every city - regardless of size can have risks.   We each need to be aware of our surroundings and take into consideration.    

Personally I don't care for Nassau and if ported there generally don't get off the ship.   That has nothing to do with crime. 

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Don't disagree.   The population of Nassau doesn't take into consideration 8 Million Plus visitors.   While I didn't look into very deeply the news reports I've read are that much of the deaths are gang related and have not seen any reports of tourists being targeted. 

My point is that every city - regardless of size can have risks.   We each need to be aware of our surroundings and take into consideration.    

Personally I don't care for Nassau and if ported there generally don't get off the ship.   That has nothing to do with crime. 

Don't disagree either.  If we are going to adjust the denominator for visitors, I am sure that Chicago and SF received far more visitors than that (even if you just counted the international visitors alone).

Video is on tmz of attack 😬 . Who would go on this excursion 🤷‍♀️ in video doesn't seem like staff is at all prepared.

here is the news report….like i said video of attack is on tmz if u want to see.

glad the child will be ok.

13 minutes ago, LA24 said:

Video is on tmz of attack 😬 . Who would go on this excursion 🤷‍♀️ in video doesn't seem like staff is at all prepared.

here is the news report….like i said video of attack is on tmz if u want to see.

glad the child will be ok.

Terrible. Another wild animal tourists swim with are Dolphins. Don’t be deceived by the way they look. They are wild animals. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, calicakes said:

No mansplaining necessary.  I know that Haiti is half, the other half is the DR.  I can read a map.  The US State dept advises against going to Haiti.  Not sure what the Canadian Government says.  

Canada says to avoid travel to Haiti (DR is Exercise a high degree of caution)

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

The port stop in Haiti is a private island.  It’s not Haiti

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

The port stop in Haiti is a private island.  It’s not Haiti

Labadee is property leased by Royal Caribbean. It's not an island. It absolutely is in Haiti.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Your question as to whether lines EVER CHANGE.   Yes they do.    Good example would be the cancellation of the Israeli  cruise and the cancellation of Aqaba on the recent World Cruise.  All cruise lines monitor world and port situations and make changes after careful risk assessment. 

Right now cruise lines are dealing with violence impacting Galapagos/Ecuador cruises.  Some are just putting people on alert while others are rearranging part of their itinerary. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Not if you stay on the property it isn’t 

Labadee is essentially a peninsula in Haiti. It's not an island. It's only separated from by fencing. You actually leave the leased "compound" when you go to the top of the zipline. You are definitely in Haiti at Labadee.

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is an excellent point..

24 minutes ago, markeb said:

Labadee is essentially a peninsula in Haiti. It's not an island. It's only separated from by fencing. You actually leave the leased "compound" when you go to the top of the zipline. You are definitely in Haiti at Labadee.

Labadee is still one of my spots that I really like on RCL stops.  Very laid back, just stay away from the vendor area and all will be fine.  They are about as aggressive as it gets to selling..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Huh? The property is literally IN Haiti

You’re not understanding what I’m saying.  There is Haiti, which is a poor and dangerous place to visit, and then there is this isolated compound that resembles a private island that’s protected.  It may be in Haiti but it’s not Haiti

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mahdnc said:

They need to put a bulletin out for my hometown of Chicago.  Sadly, we have 23 murders YTD.

Yes, but New Providence Island where Nassau is located has 296,000 people versus Chicago which has 2.7 million. Not the same thing at all…

You have to decide what feels comfortable for you. I won’t do Mexico ports anymore except for Cozumel as I don’t feel safe; so I will choose itineraries that don’t include them. I visited Jamaica one time in 2003 on my first cruise before I knew their history of homophobia. My now husband and I and a couple other passengers on different excursions all encountered veiled homophobic comments. We will never set foot on that island again as a result and I have always chosen itineraries that do not include Jamaica since then. I won’t go off on my own on certain islands like St. Lucia. These warnings are there to help you make an informed travel decision.

14 hours ago, calicakes said:

Labadee is a weird exception. It has a secured perimeter with armed guards. The only locals allowed in are pre-approved by the island management. If it was deemed unsafe Royal would pull out of there.