Dry Dock - All ships will be scheduled in 2024

KevintheIrishDJ

1. Several times they had live on the pool deck on my last sailing.
  2. 2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

If music isn't 'live,' I'd prefer not to have it.  And I don't want it 'live' on the pool deck, especially during lunch at the Patio.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was just thinking about the first time I sailed Azamara and they had a guitarist singing on the sunset veranda during dinner.  It was great.  Used to have a harpist above the main lobby as well.  Both were nice additions that i haven't seen since.

Edited by Toronto Guy
  • Like 2

Today on Journey was an example of what we hate about live music on Azamara. We find the current band to be fronted by a screamer and they play unrecognisable sounds - maybe known in their country but what we could call grunge. 

It was the deck BBQ. (Also virtually no loungers for our only afternoon sailing in warmer weather). The noise was unbearable spoiling lunch for us. The lunch food was good. 

What made the assault on our ears worse, it was sail away - a local brass band had come to send us off as is the custom in Japan - they were virtually ignored and drowned out. It was a bad result all round in our view. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 8:27 AM, marinaro44 said:

If music isn't 'live,' I'd prefer not to have it.  And I don't want it 'live' on the pool deck, especially during lunch at the Patio.

We go to eat when the music starts by the pool.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Do you mean you go to the Patio to eat to hear the music or go into Windows so you don’t hear the music?😉

Anywhere away from the pool because of the db's.

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 12:27 AM, marinaro44 said:

That the one time I want music .between 1 and 2 while I eat. The canned crap is old .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

I was just thinking about the first time I sailed Azamara and they had a guitarist singing on the sunset veranda during dinner.  It was great.  Used to have a harpist above the main lobby as well.  Both were nice additions that i haven't seen since.

Just now, Roel94 said:

That the one time I want music .between 1 and 2 while I eat. The canned crap is old .

Budget cuts ..npharpist was in discoveries bar. 

It was really quite cool and certainly unique.  I'm sure people would complain if they had it now because a) its a change; and b) any form of music in the background will ruin their cruise entirely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roel94 said:

Me as well.  I'll take music on deck any time actually as long as the band is decent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

It was really quite cool and certainly unique.  I'm sure people would complain if they had it now because a) its a change; and b) any form of music in the background will ruin their cruise entirely.

Most of the people who have been reacting negatively to your ideas were active in this community when the harpist was eliminated and complained about it.  This is the sort of background music, and the venue, where it would be appreciated.  But it isn't coming back because the harpist was a one-trick pony and therefore too expensive for the benefit.

Lunchtime pool deck music used to be pleasant eg piano player from the Den or a guitarist. The use of the band from the living room only works if they play at half the volume they assaulted our ears with. Yesterday it averaged 130 db of music that wasn’t the more relaxing popular stuff for over an hour. 
Today there is no music, it’s a beautiful day and everyone is relaxing. I don’t hear anyone saying this needs music 🎶 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Lunchtime pool deck music used to be pleasant eg piano player from the Den or a guitarist. The use of the band from the living room only works if they play at half the volume they assaulted our ears with. Yesterday it averaged 130 db of music that wasn’t the more relaxing popular stuff for over an hour. 
Today there is no music, it’s a beautiful day and everyone is relaxing. I don’t hear anyone saying this needs music 🎶 

And you always have the option of using headphones & playing music on your phone.

• Like 1

I think the Harpist was on my cruise in 2012. It was very tasteful and enjoyable but I can imagine it was expensive and logistically tricky transporting it!

I just avoid any loud music or anything herding or group! That's the joy of cruising you can just find your own pace.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

And you always have the option of using headphones & playing music on your phone.

You got me thinking. To those with iPhones I would highly recommend investing in some Airpods Pro 2nd Generation. They do an amazing job at noise cancellation (a big step up from the 1st Generation). I tried them at DisneySea in Japan recently and they reduced the dBs to 65. They will autoconnect through settings and I find they are very comfortable to wear. Excellent sound when listening to music through them too.  I think they will be a game changer for me. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 4

Agree that they are great!  I’m terms of peace and quiet on the pool deck, you’re just in the wrong place if that is what you are seeking.  You can hear the blender going from the bar on the other side of the deck constantly all day long.  The sun deck is a quiet albeit uncomfortable alternative  if you don’t need shade, so since others on here like that area it’s the best of both worlds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

You got me thinking. To those with iPhones I would highly recommend investing in some Airpods Pro 2nd Generation. They do an amazing job at noise cancellation (a big step up from the 1st Generation). I tried them at DisneySea in Japan recently and they reduced the dBs to 65. They will autoconnect through settings and I find they are very comfortable to wear. Excellent sound when listening to music through them too.  I think they will be a game changer for me. 

Phil 

I am confused. It says they are wireless, which implies they produce sound. How do they cancel noise?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

I am confused. It says they are wireless, which implies they produce sound. How do they cancel noise?

Here’s a quote from Sony. “Noise-cancelling audio devices use a built-in microphone to analyse the ambient sound waves around you and generate the opposite sound waves to reduce surrounding sound. Noise-cancelling devices have a built-in microphone which produces the opposite reversed sound waves to neutralise surrounding noise.”

Wireless headsets have rechargeable batteries.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Just do a Google search of Airpods Pro 2nd Generation and it tells you all about them. There are a plethora of YouTube reviews too. I did a bit of research before buying them. 

Phil 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

As well as the guidance of sites already given I would suggest a starting point for your knowledge enhancement might also be the Apple site which is known for straight facts and no spin 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 12:41 PM, Toronto Guy said:

Me as well.  I'll take music on deck any time actually as long as the band is decent.

One hour a day enough but I enjoy that hour.

we changed CDs and I notice canned music back at pool so loud that almost no one there. 

What I don't enjoy is loud canned music for breakfast. On our last cruise on Journey, it was blasting out on the Sunset bar area and there was no way for the staff to turn it down.