Dry Dock - All ships will be scheduled in 2024

KevintheIrishDJ

We were on another line the cruise prior and they started "heavy" work during our cruise!!!

"According to the new 2024 Drydock and Refurbishment Report by Cruise Industry News, the Azamara Quest is slated to drydock in Amsterdam from July 28 to August 10, then follows the Azamara Pursuit in Marseille from August 26 to August 31, the Azamara Journey in Athens from September 9 to September 13, and the Azamara Onward in Cadiz from November 7 to November 12."

Azamara Set for Four Drydocks in 2024 - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

🤬Azamara's timing couldn't have been worse for us! We were on Quest in Nov '23, and she's looking a tad worn in spots. We will be on Quest from March 15 through April 8th, again Jun 22 through July 1, so we are missing the refurb. I promise, I won't write on the walls! Actually, we stole our April 1-8th cruise on Quest. The dry dock had been cancelled for that week, management scrambled to set up a cruise and fill it up, and we stole a rock bottom price.  The good news is that we will be doing a B2B on Pursuit starting October 5 through the 19th - 3 weeks after coming out of dry dock.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ron1209 said:

I don’t think much can be done in 4 or 5 days…maybe an oil change… lol

Quest is in drydock for 12 days. Obviously some maintenance and changes to the basics of the ship, but plenty of time to make her pretty and shining as well.

• Like 1

from the article:

In 2024, the drydocks will include hull cleaning and painting, underwater inspections, inspections of stabilizers, rudders, propellers and bow thrusters. We will also upgrade and renew some equipment and machinery which is approaching its reliable lifespan,” he said.

“We are also optimizing the fuel efficiency of our vessels by modernizing large energy consumers such as propulsion by applying silicone paint to the hull to reduce resistance through the water; HVAC by replacing older chiller units with more efficient ones and updating the air handling control/distribution units, and by upgrading our light and dimmer systems.”

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

from the article:

In 2024, the drydocks will include hull cleaning and painting, underwater inspections, inspections of stabilizers, rudders, propellers and bow thrusters. We will also upgrade and renew some equipment and machinery which is approaching its reliable lifespan,” he said.

“We are also optimizing the fuel efficiency of our vessels by modernizing large energy consumers such as propulsion by applying silicone paint to the hull to reduce resistance through the water; HVAC by replacing older chiller units with more efficient ones and updating the air handling control/distribution units, and by upgrading our light and dimmer systems.”

That is basically all a dry dock of this length likely will accomplish.  Maybe some refreshing of soft goods here and there and some technical upgrading (e.g., rewiring data cables) but likely nothing earth shattering.

I would be surprised if they gutted the Drawing Room and installed the Atlas Bar in those kind of time frames, but ya never know.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

That is basically all a dry dock of this length likely will accomplish.  Maybe some refreshing of soft goods here and there and some technical upgrading (e.g., rewiring data cables) but likely nothing earth shattering.

I would be surprised if they gutted the Drawing Room and installed the Atlas Bar in those kind of time frames, but ya never know.

Given the issues they had with the electrics when changing over Onward to an Atlas Bar I would be very surprised if they risked a transition during such a short dry dock.

Many of the cosmetic things people talk about can be completed during sailings and having a rolling programme for in room work when cabins are empty which is what happens at present.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 3:52 PM, uktog said:

Given the issues they had with the electrics when changing over Onward to an Atlas Bar I would be very surprised if they risked a transition during such a short dry dock.

Many of the cosmetic things people talk about can be completed during sailings and having a rolling programme for in room work when cabins are empty which is what happens at present.

I must confess a failure to see what the Atlas Bar delivered on Onward! We used it three evenings during pre-dinner times, aligned to specialty restaurant visits, and there were very few patrons in the venue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

I must confess a failure to see what the Atlas Bar delivered on Onward! We used it three evenings during pre-dinner times, aligned to specialty restaurant visits, and there were very few patrons in the venue.

I think it depends who is on board each cruise. On our three Onward cruises two have seen the Atlas bar very busy (difficult to get a seat) and on the other cruise it was not busy except later in the evening.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

I think it depends who is on board each cruise. On our three Onward cruises two have seen the Atlas bar very busy (difficult to get a seat) and on the other cruise it was not busy except later in the evening.

I wonder how many will use given the new beverage package price 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:23 PM, ECCruise said:

I think true to say impossible in the time frame.lol  I'll stick to my previous thought. I don't believe any of the other ships will get an Atlas Bar. 

28 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think true to say impossible in the time frame.lol  I'll stick to my previous thought. I don't believe any of the other ships will get an Atlas Bar. 

Honestly, that is my hope.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2024 at 9:17 AM, ECCruise said:

Honestly, that is my hope.  

I think the Atlas Bar is a great addition, I just wish it had a little more life to it like Celebrity's martini bar with some current music.  If I hear Abba or Neil Diamond one more time on board, I'm going over the rail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Toronto Guy said:

I think the Atlas Bar is a great addition, I just wish it had a little more life to it like Celebrity's martini bar with some current music.  If I hear Abba or Neil Diamond one more time on board, I'm going over the rail.

Absolutely hate Celebrity's Martini Bar so that would be a hard pass for us.

Plus, we were given the information (evidently based on insufficient revenue) that Atlas Bar(s) would not be making an appearance on the other 3 ships.

Plus, these dry docks are not long enough to accomplish the changeover.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

It's a good thing we don't all think alike or we would all be in the same places at the same time.  Different strokes for different folks.

But it's also a good thing that there are different cruise lines for different tastes.  We hate Celebrity for the very reasons you like it, so it's no surprise that we like Azamara for the reasons you fault it.  I don't expect Celebrity to change to suit me; please don't try to get Azamara to become Celebrity-lite.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure they're not listening to me, so I think you're safe Jazzbeau. I'm not sure why you are spending so much time discrediting my thoughts and opinions on three separate threads now. I'm fully entitled to my opinion.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toronto Guy said:

I'm pretty sure they're not listening to me, so I think you're safe Jazzbeau. I'm not sure why you are spending so much time discrediting my thoughts and opinions on three separate threads now. I'm fully entitled to my opinion.  

Because you seem to bring a mass market cruise line sensibility, which IMHO is wrong for Azamara.  And I'm fully entitled to my opinion too.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Yes you absolutely are.  I fail to understand why you're so concerned about me sharing mine.  Anyway, I don't think I'm doing that. I've been sailing with Azamara since the first year the line was introduced. Things were very different onboard then, and I'm sure they will continue to evolve.  Things change based on feedback from customers, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Suggesting I am seeking "mass market sensibilty" is not true. A bit better entertainment, some background music from the last decade in the venues and some nicer deck furniture - for sure.  That doesn't make me mass market.  Initially I didn't like the idea of the Atlas Bar, would have preferred they kept the library as it was my favourite room on board.  Then I gave it a chance and tried it, and i like it.  Problem is I find it a little too quiet at times and not a fan of the video wall they have to substitute a live performance.  So a piano/singer in there, or some contemporary music to liven it up a bit would be a good idea in my opinion.  Without it I find that you end up having to listen to the loudest and perhaps drunkest person sitting at the bar all night. 😉

Edited by Toronto Guy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1