Where to get a taxi at Sydney airport?

Hi team,

I'm taking my elderly parents to Sydney to join the Royal Princess in March and am looking for the best transport option from the airport. My parents are pretty spritely but, at 90 and 88, I try to limit them walking distances (and I have to handle all luggage). We'll likely arrive at Terminal 2.

I won't even contemplate the train with them and, from memory, the uber pickup location is a bit of a hike in Sydney?? I was considering a private transfer or a taxi. Where would the private transfer vehicles be parked? Or is the taxi rank closer? I'm more concerned with convenience than cost.

Any tips?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Hi team,

I'm taking my elderly parents to Sydney to join the Royal Princess in March and am looking for the best transport option from the airport. My parents are pretty spritely but, at 90 and 88, I try to limit them walking distances (and I have to handle all luggage). We'll likely arrive at Terminal 2.

I won't even contemplate the train with them and, from memory, the uber pickup location is a bit of a hike in Sydney?? I was considering a private transfer or a taxi. Where would the private transfer vehicles be parked? Or is the taxi rank closer? I'm more concerned with convenience than cost.

Any tips?

Thanks.

As you exit the terminal, after collecting your luggage, the taxi rank is there just to your right if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

As you exit the terminal, after collecting your luggage, the taxi rank is there just to your right if I remember correctly.

Thank you Leigh. Very helpful. I see they've started kerbside Uber pickups at Terminal 3, but not available at Terminal 2 just yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The taxi rank is very conveniently located just outside the door near the luggage collection carousel.

Thank you! It looks a taxi is the solution.

3 hours ago, mum and son said:

Hi team,

Any tips?

Thanks.

I have elderly friends with walkers etc.they always pay for a Princess Transfer….would that work for you?

35 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I have elderly friends with walkers etc.they always pay for a Princess Transfer….would that work for you?

A taxi is much better. When I flew to Sydney to board the World Cruise I booked a Princess transfer form Sydney airport. It appears that I arrived just after a shuttle bus left so there was quite a delay. It took two hours from when I arrived at the rendezvous point until the bus left the terminal. I recommend a taxi. For two people it works out a similar price to the shuttle. If three people are travelling it costs less.

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A taxi is much better. When I flew to Sydney to board the World Cruise I booked a Princess transfer form Sydney airport. It appears that I arrived just after a shuttle bus left so there was quite a delay. It took two hours from when I arrived at the rendezvous point until the bus left the terminal. I recommend a taxi. For two people it works out a similar price to the shuttle. If three people are travelling it costs less.

I have never used a transfer. Just saying what our friends use, so have no personal experience, just an idea and I am sure it would not be cheap either.

Edited by resordanis

22 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I have never used a transfer. Just saying what our friends use, so have no personal experience, just an idea and I am sure it would not be cheap either.

Because I was travelling solo, the transfer with Princess was much cheaper than a taxi. However, I regretted having booked it when it took so long. I suppose that is the luck of the draw. They had just one bus and it took close to two hours to do the round trip with loading and unloading. There were several disabled passengers who naturally took longer to get on and off the bus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, resordanis said:

Thanks for the suggestion. We're flying in a day earlier so there's no pressure on the day. Honestly, price is not the issue as much as comfort for my parents and ease of luggage handling for me. My dad is not a bus kind of guy. He may be 90 but he swims at least 1km every day so he's doing ok. They don't drive anymore and yesterday they ran out of wine so they hiked off down the hill to the local bottle shop with a trolley and wheeled their trolley of wine back up the hill, so maybe I'm underestimating them 🤣.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mum and son said:

Thanks for the suggestion. We're flying in a day earlier so there's no pressure on the day. Honestly, price is not the issue as much as comfort for my parents and ease of luggage handling for me. My dad is not a bus kind of guy. He may be 90 but he swims at least 1km every day so he's doing ok. They don't drive anymore and yesterday they ran out of wine so they hiked off down the hill to the local bottle shop with a trolley and wheeled their trolley of wine back up the hill, so maybe I'm underestimating them 🤣.

I admire your parents and do hope I am doing that at their age. Good for them.

• Like 1

For T2, it depends what carousel you are collecting luggage from. For some, the taxi rank is a bit closer, for others the private hire cars are closer. Whichever way, both are shorter distance than it is from airbridge to the carousels.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, resordanis said:

I admire your parents and do hope I am doing that at their age. Good for them.

I just looked at your signature and realised my parents also went on the Alexander Pushkin in the late 80s. I remember waving them off at the wharf. 

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For T2, it depends what carousel you are collecting luggage from. For some, the taxi rank is a bit closer, for others the private hire cars are closer. Whichever way, both are shorter distance than it is from airbridge to the carousels.

Yes, the walk inside the terminal will be the bigger effort. Maybe I can hail one of those golf cart things that sometimes whizz past.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mum and son said:

Yes, the walk inside the terminal will be the bigger effort. Maybe I can hail one of those golf cart things that sometimes whizz past.

I'm not sure how the system works, but can you book them, like you can request a wheelchair at the airbridge? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mum and son said:

I just looked at your signature and realised my parents also went on the Alexander Pushkin in the late 80s. I remember waving them off at the wharf. 

Ah, the Alexander Pushkin. First cruise with my family and put me off cruising again for 20 years. I was sick before we even got under the harbour bridge and wanted to go home. Amazing how things have changed.,I think my husband I paid $1700 each for bunks in 1988 and our son slept on the sofa for free and fell off every night!

• Haha 2

You can book wheelchair assistance with embarking and disembarking on cruise ships. I now do this as it is too far For me to walk up

snd down Ramps.  They have the wheel

chairs and pushers waiting on the way. A very efficient system.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

You can book wheelchair assistance with embarking and disembarking on cruise ships. I now do this as it is too far For me to walk up

Taxi ranks in Sydney are very efficient. If you have pushers or wheelchairs ask for a

wheelchair taxi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks Marion. Yes, we'll organise a wheelchair on and off the ship.

11 hours ago, mum and son said:

Thanks Marion. Yes, we'll organise a wheelchair on and off the ship.

I see that you live in Brisbane so it is likely you will be boarding the ship in Brisbane. You don't have to pre-arrange wheelchair assistance for boarding. At the terminal there are three doorways facing you as you approach. The left-hand one is for luggage drop-off, the centre one is the main entrance and the one immediately to its right, is for wheelchair assistance. Just mention to the person 'guarding' the door that you require wheelchair assistance. Immediately inside there should be a desk where you register, giving the name of the person/s and the cabin number. Both of your parents can have a wheelchair if they wish and you go with them. There are chairs to wait until it is your turn. You will have express check-in, express security check etc. You will be taken onto the ship, but not to your cabin. All the best. 🙂

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I see that you live in Brisbane so it is likely you will be boarding the ship in Brisbane. You don't have to pre-arrange wheelchair assistance for boarding. 

Thank you - we're actually flying to Sydney for this cruise doing a Sydney return and then staying onboard for the 2 nighter back to Brisbane. It's been a long time since I've flown to Sydney to board a cruise, probably 8 years. 

Just now, mum and son said:

Thank you - we're actually flying to Sydney for this cruise doing a Sydney return and then staying onboard for the 2 nighter back to Brisbane. It's been a long time since I've flown to Sydney to board a cruise, probably 8 years. 

The arrangement for wheelchair-assist is likely to be similar to in Brisbane, but I can't tell you where to go to register. We have only used wheelchair-assist in Brisbane. 🙂

• Like 1