No air conditioning Grand Princess

organist65

Well, I'm currently on the Grand Princess in Fiji and there has been absolutely no AC on most of the ship, including cabins, the dance floor, stores, restaurants, hallways for 2 days. To be fair I felt limited AC in the art space, but definitely not normal. I have cruised on 30 + ships. This has been the worst experience for me. This ship is sad in other ways, too. But, no AC in a hot place is dreadful.

No. We asked the service desk last night and they said it was supposed to be fixed by end of day yesterday.  I never imagined or heard of this happening! It is so uncomfortable. 

Wow!

That would not be good at all in the South Pacific, or any other hot humid place.

Sounds so strange the whole ship has no AC. Not an expert in HVAC (mostly on a cruise ship) but, I would think the ship would have mutable AC compressors running all the ship AC?

Keep us informed and really sorry for everyone.

Cheers

1 hour ago, organist65 said:

Well, I'm currently on the Grand Princess in Fiji and there has been absolutely no AC on most of the ship, including cabins, the dance floor, stores, restaurants, hallways for 2 days. To be fair I felt limited AC in the art space, but definitely not normal. I have cruised on 30 + ships. This has been the worst experience for me. This ship is sad in other ways, too. But, no AC in a hot place is dreadful.

We are in the dining area and it is baking as much as my cabin.  Interestingly, they mentioned nothing about it in the broadcasts. No apologies,  NOTHING. How crazy is that? A fellow from Ukaine told me he was not pleased and gave a stern talking to the folks. I will be writing to Princess about this and the unclean ship....

We were on the grand several years ago down in Mexico in October and the same thing happened in several areas of the ship, mostly all aft but some of the cabins on our deck were also impacted.  Luckily, ours wasn’t one of them but just two cabins down and those beyond that had no AC.  Yikes, that would have been miserable.  It was bad enough just having to go anywhere aft on the ship as it was so steamy hot inside.  I am not even sure if anything had gotten fixed prior to us disembarking.  

• Thanks 2

We were supposed to be on the Grand last April for Trans Pacific. There was an electrical issue that caused a few hundred aft cabins to be without power for about 4-5 days. We had booked an aft cabin and would have been moved elsewhere. In hindsight, I am.glad we cancelled. But we were on the Grand in September 2022 for Alaska and really enjoyed that ship.

3 hours ago, TrixieBel said:

Have there been any updates from crew about what the issue is or how long it will take to resolve? 🫣

No. They have mad no announcements whatsoever. One lady said it is because Australians are too laid back.

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Wow!

That would not be good at all in the South Pacific, or any other hot humid place.

Sounds so strange the whole ship has no AC. Not an expert in HVAC (mostly on a cruise ship) but, I would think the ship would have mutable AC compressors running all the ship AC?

Keep us informed and really sorry for everyone.

Cheers

We were on the Grand from 8th to 22nd of January and the air conditioning worked well then - too well in some areas, if you ask me.  Sorry this has happened to you.  It was very clean too with lots of staff cleaning each day.  

1 hour ago, Isadoramorris said:

I can feel a/c in certain spots. For example, in certain hallways and toilets.

Update. Just went and spoke with the supervisor who said there is nothing they can do as approximately 200 cabins are affected and that it is an old ship. Nothing they can do about it.

• Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, Isadoramorris said:

Update. Just went and spoke with the supervisor who said there is nothing they can do as approximately 200 cabins are affected and that it is an old ship. Nothing they can do about it.

That’s awful.  No where to move you?  We were just in Fiji in November, it was extremely hot

there. Can’t imagine no AC.  

Ask your cabin steward for a fan for your room.  I would talk with the HGM or the Director of GS about the AC and Housekeeping issues.

We were on the Grand Princess trans Pacific Sydney to San Francisco last year in April. In Samoa all electricity to section 7 of the ship failed which meant all cabins in section 7 , vista lounge and all public areas at the aft of the ship had no ac , lights anything!….they were unable to fix for 5 days until a part was flown into Honolulu.

Luckily there were enough free cabins for people to be moved….some were moved from suites to inside.

Princess compensated every one on the ship by giving us 50% of our cruise fare as a FCC…I believe those who had to move cabins were given a higher percentage of compensation.

We were in section 6 and ac worked in our area….it was just in the corridors that effected us and not being able to use facilities in the aft of the ship for 5 days. To be honest it did not affect our cruise enjoyment as we just used other areas of the ship. We were very great full for the 50% FCC and felt Princess were very generous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Experiences such as yours are one of the main reasons we stay away from all their older ships.

Good luck.

I have had air conditioning issues on newer ships as well. It can happen on any ship.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have had air conditioning issues on newer ships as well. It can happen on any ship.

Yes, it can happen on any ship at any time but considering the age of those older ships, it more likely to occur as well as plumbing blockages and overall appearances such as rust, sagging mattresses, wear and tear, etc. 

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, it can happen on any ship at any time but considering the age of those older ships, it more likely to occur as well as plumbing blockages and overall appearances such as rust, sagging mattresses, wear and tear, etc. 

Rust is going to happen to any ship in water, period. 

Mattresses have to be replaced periodically anyway. You can have a 3 year ship with bad mattresses verses a 20 year ship where every cabin can have brand new mattresses.

A lot of the plumbing issues that happen on ships are related to acts of passengers.

AC units fail all the time. 

I think up keep is necessary but I will not discount an older ship due to air conditioning as I have been on enough newer ships with AC issues and plumbing issues.

• Like 6

Things can happen,  but to go THIS long, with such a huge outage...  That is not 'things happen'.

As well as others tell of similar outages.

Add in the fact that,  to them,  the PTB onboard and at Princess..  this is not something that is even acknowledged or addressed with the guests...   NOT acceptable.

We did sail on CORAL to Alaska, years ago, as there were fewer options then.

Luckily we had no big issues.  I was glad that our cabin was one of those that had been added, mid-ship, during a major dry-dock.  New cabin!

But, I have to agree, I just do not think that I would book such an older ship.

• Like 1

I am the OP.  I know no the AC not working is not the front desk's fault, but I would appreciate a "we're sorry" instead of, "this is an older ship." It's happening to 200 cabins, not just yours" as if I'm doing something wrong complaining. If the ship has problems, it shouldn't be sailing. I spent a lot of money flying from the US to Melbourne, Australia, the embarkation port AND a lot of money for my balcony cabin on this cruise. And I can't even get an apology. I am literally sweating right now in my bed trying to sleep.  I'm not a novice. I am an experienced cruiser. Nobody goes on a cruise thinking, the AC might go out. Maybe you think the food could be bad. The activities lame. But, the AC not working in the hot South Pacific is inexcusable. There has been no public or private acknowledgement of anything and I think it's disgusting. That is the reason for this post. 

Edited by organist65
Typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@organist65 I feel your frustration.  You are not being provided information that you feel should be granted passengers.  If a trip to Customer Service Counter is too difficult (out of your way/long lines), use chat to request a meeting (not just a phone call) starting with CS officer.  Their office is behind curtains on deck 6 starboard side opposite CS counter.  

if you go to the counter, explain that you would like to meet with the manager/officer.  Wait there until they confirm a date and time.  

Edit:  correct title - Guest Service Director

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 2

Princess needs to get rid of the Grand. We were on her about 10 years ago and she was in rough shape then.  We were in the mid aft area and our whole area lost power for a few hours several times.  There were leaking pipes in our hallway, with multiple buckets catching drips. They had big industrial fans blowing to dry the carpets.  The whole area stunk of sewage.  We said then that we would never sail on the Grand again.  

• Like 2

The Grand fixed all the leaks by the time I cruised her post pandemic.  If Princess decides to remove the Grand, I would love to see them clone her first and then build smaller ships.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Rust is going to happen to any ship in water, period. 

Mattresses have to be replaced periodically anyway. You can have a 3 year ship with bad mattresses verses a 20 year ship where every cabin can have brand new mattresses.

A lot of the plumbing issues that happen on ships are related to acts of passengers.

AC units fail all the time. 

I think up keep is necessary but I will not discount an older ship due to air conditioning as I have been on enough newer ships with AC issues and plumbing issues.

Sure, things can happen to new ships just like the old ones but considering the age of the older Princess ships, I'll take my chances with the newer ones. Been there, done that many times to learn it for myself.

That's why I get rid of my car every few years. Even with maintenance, the older they are the more that goes wrong.