HAL newbie diabetic questions

TinaLee

Hi all - we’ve only done one previous Holland America cruise and it was long ago! Now we’re booked on the Rotterdam next month and I have a couple of quick questions. I see they have Diet Coke and Diet Sprite (yay for at least two choices) but I’ve also seen mention of sugar free ginger ale onboard? If anyone can confirm and tell me where? I’m just assuming it will be a bar specific option. Also, can anyone tell me if there are any sugar free syrup options in either of the coffee bar locations (GDF or ?Exploration - sorry my brain is fritzing on the name of the second one). 

thanks in advance!

Tina 

41 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any sugar free syrup options in either of the coffee bar locations (GDF or ?Exploration - sorry my brain is fritzing on the name of the second one). 

Hi Tina!

The Exploration Cafe does have SF Vanilla syrup for the Lattes. Not sure about GDCafe but I would expect so there too. Can't answer the others -- we get "Captain on a Diet" with the Coke, but never asked for alternatives.

There also is a SF dessert every night in the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Tina!

The Exploration Cafe does have SF Vanilla syrup for the Lattes. Not sure about GDCafe but I would expect so there too. Can't answer the others -- we get "Captain on a Diet" with the Coke, but never asked for alternatives.

Thanks so much! 

36 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You can also request a batch of sugar free cookies. Ask one day, enjoy the next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Thanks so much! 

Because it's not only sugar but total carbohydrates, I thought I'd say: there are ways to lower if not eliminate carbs from dinners -- obviously not pasta entrees, but three-part meals: ask for double vegetables, no rice or potato, with your protein. In addition to the SF dessert of the day, you can always get a cheese plate for dessert -- even if it is not on the menu. 

I could be wrong, but I think there is SF offering at the ice cream station in the Lido. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

...I could be wrong, but I think there is SF offering at the ice cream station in the Lido. 

Yes, there is always a SF ice cream offered in Lido, usually listed on the sign, but if not just ask.

Not sure about the Gelato bar.

• Like 2

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but having cruised many times on HAL with a type 1 diabetic, I have seen some posts about ice cream and desserts being sugar free, we have never seen this. We have seen no sugar added Ice Creams and desserts, which I'm sure you know is a little bit different. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You'll see NS next to the no sugar added items. It'll be in the Lido and on all the menus. Just remember that NS means no sugar added. You can have an NS item that is naturally high in sugars, so it's a little bit of work.

m5_-_day_5_-_club_orange_00001_updated_1.png

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, RynoWally said:

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but having cruised many times on HAL with a type 1 diabetic, I have seen some posts about ice cream and desserts being sugar free, we have never seen this. We have seen no sugar added Ice Creams and desserts, which I'm sure you know is a little bit different. 

I also travel with a Type I diabetic -- the deserts are not "sugar free" they are "no sugar added" which is much different as we found out.  There are plenty of choices however and my husband has never gone hungry on a HAL cruise.  But you do need to be very careful and ask questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I could be wrong, but I think there is SF offering at the ice cream station in the Lido. 

IIRC it’s been NSA that I’ve seen and chosen. People seem to refer to them as “sugar free”. By the nature of some they can still be pretty carb-y. There have been some days there are more than one selection. 

When I asked pre-cruise if the macro analysis sheets were available for the menus I received a response that they were not, but to ask for the Lido chef ( name given) and he would answer questions and go over menu with me. Once aboard he found me. They also found me in open seating in the MDR and made sure I got menus to pre-order for the next night. (One evening they missed and I found the menu on my cabin door with a note on how to return them.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TinaLee said:

Hi all - we’ve only done one previous Holland America cruise and it was long ago! Now we’re booked on the Rotterdam next month and I have a couple of quick questions. I see they have Diet Coke and Diet Sprite (yay for at least two choices) but I’ve also seen mention of sugar free ginger ale onboard? If anyone can confirm and tell me where? I’m just assuming it will be a bar specific option. Also, can anyone tell me if there are any sugar free syrup options in either of the coffee bar locations (GDF or ?Exploration - sorry my brain is fritzing on the name of the second one). 

thanks in advance!

My husband is type 1 diabetic— currently on Rotterdam— happy to report that they have added AHA sparkling water to the no sugar offerings! 🙌🙌🙌The flavor seems to vary from bar to bar but so far have encountered 2 flavors. We have HIA so I’m not sure of price but it think it’s the same as Sprite Zero. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cailey53 said:
16 hours ago, TinaLee said:

My husband is type 1 diabetic— currently on Rotterdam— happy to report that they have added AHA sparkling water to the no sugar offerings! 🙌🙌🙌The flavor seems to vary from bar to bar but so far have encountered 2 flavors. We have HIA so I’m not sure of price but it think it’s the same as Sprite Zero. 

Excellent news! Thanks so much! We have the beverage package as well, but I’m not a big liquor drinker (too many carbs - lol) so that’s why I was questioning the beverage choices. 

4 hours ago, RynoWally said:

Yes indeed - I’m honestly usually more tempted by bread - but I do know anything marked “sugar free” that contains fruit… isn’t 🙂 

6 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Yes indeed - I’m honestly usually more tempted by bread - but I do know anything marked “sugar free” that contains fruit… isn’t 🙂 

I will say this though, my wife being a lifelong vegetarian, and having type 1 for 27 years, will tell you there is no shortage of options for her when dining at MDR (she will ask for the vegetarian Indian menu) or in the Lido service. She much prefers HAL over Viking and Celebrity of which we have sailed a couple of times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TinaLee said:

I used the Sugar Free term. No Sugar Added is correct. There is still lactose in ice cream (sherbet may be better?), and NSA cakes may still be made with high-carb flour.

We tried to eat Keto for about ten years including several cruises, where I came up with the above hints, but we have dropped back to a Mediterranean diet.  

8 hours ago, RynoWally said:

Being a diabetic myself I can assure there is always a sugar free offering at the dessert bar in the lido. And there is usually a sugar free ice cream offered at the ice cream bar in the lido also. 

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Because it's not only sugar but total carbohydrates, I thought I'd say: there are ways to lower if not eliminate carbs from dinners -- obviously not pasta entrees, but three-part meals: ask for double vegetables, no rice or potato, with your protein. In addition to the SF dessert of the day, you can always get a cheese plate for dessert -- even if it is not on the menu. 

Yes Crystal  I am pre diabetic & I try to keep the carbs way down with veggies & sugar free soda & ice cream 

Cliff

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Being a diabetic myself I can assure there is always a sugar free offering at the dessert bar in the lido. And there is usually a sugar free ice cream offered at the ice cream bar in the lido also. 

Been on 20 cruises with HAL, never seen a Sugar Free dessert, or a sugar free ice cream, if there is such a thing. Always see no added sugar, huge difference.

• Like 3

Our MDR servers were more than helpful in "organizing" a meal for me.  Many nights were part of this and part of that.  We didn't do the Lido that much but I did find a lot of Keto/Diabetic friendly items there.  Also loved that the Dive-In Burger place has a lettuce-wrapped burger version called the Free Dive to keep away from the carby buns.  It was very tasty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1