Shiprocked Cruise (Magic) collided with the pier in Ocho Rios

matymil

On 2/11/2024 at 3:28 PM, jimbo5544 said:

In my (what some would say) Jaundiced view, being this large take away from what is so important to us in cruising.  That is being in touch with the sea and going to places that emphasize that.

That was one thing that struck me two weeks ago on Freedom of the Seas...along with the surprising lack of "free"/included dining options compared to even one of Carnival's older Conquest-class ships.  😮 

You simply DON'T easily feel a connection with the ocean on Royal's ships.  Carnival and Norwegian have included outside or "lanai" decks closer to the ocean on their new-builds.  On Freedom, while there is an infrequently-used, utilitarian outside promenade deck, that's basically it.  The interior promenade is basically a large shopping mall, and the upper outside decks are pretty far from the sea surface.  We really enjoyed the lanai-style decks on the Magic, Vista,  Horizon and Mardi Gras.   

Edited by Pellaz
proofreading
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Pellaz said:

That was one thing that struck me two weeks ago on Freedom of the Seas...along with the surprisingly lack of "free"/included dining options compared to even one of Carnival's older Conquest-class ships.  😮 

You simply DON'T easily feel a connection with the ocean on Royal's ships.  Carnival and Norwegian have included outside or "lanai" decks closer to the ocean on their new-builds.  On Freedom, while there is an infrequently-used, utilitarian outside promenade deck, that's basically it.  The interior promenade is basically a large shopping mall, and the upper outside decks are pretty far from the sea surface.  We really enjoyed the lanai-style decks on the Magic, Vista,  Horizon and Mardi Gras.   

Totally agree on all counts.  Our cruise aboard Oasis, we sailed away and we were unaware we had left.  In my view….that is not a good thing.  I hate analogies, but from a sensation of movement, it is like flying on a A380.  Carnival has made a conscious effort to embrace the sea in dining as you have mentioned.   Royal has a totally different take on the MDR experience.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

So..... Have we heard anything about the ship? Has it been repaired yet?

42 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

So..... Have we heard anything about the ship? Has it been repaired yet?

I don't know how it can be repaired unless it's in dry doc.  I'm sure they'll put some kind of "bandaid" on it.  We're booked to sail on her in May and I don't mind saying I'm a little, um, I don't want to say concerned, but maybe I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

How does a thread about a carnival ship crashing into a pier in Jamaica turn into CCL vs. RCL? (I know welcome to CC 🤣)

Not the first time a thread has drifted, not will it be the last.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 8:33 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

I don't know how it can be repaired unless it's in dry doc.  I'm sure they'll put some kind of "bandaid" on it.  We're booked to sail on her in May and I don't mind saying I'm a little, um, I don't want to say concerned, but maybe I'm concerned.

We're on her in April.    I'm trying to think positive...like in Miami they'll hopefully dock with the port side to the dock to hid the damage, which means they'll need pull up into the bay area to do a 180 instead  of just shoving off and heading out!.  

10 minutes ago, Sabalon said:

We're on her in April.    I'm trying to think positive...like in Miami they'll hopefully dock with the port side to the dock to hid the damage, which means they'll need pull up into the bay area to do a 180 instead  of just shoving off and heading out!.  

Report back after your cruise.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:33 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

There is nothing to be concerned about.  As I said before, there is nothing that I see in the photos that would affect the strength of the hull.  As I said, the internal deck that is buckled for about a foot or so inboard, will be repaired and can be done (is likely done now) while in service.  They may weld another plate over the damage, but that would only be for cosmetic reasons, and likely may not be done at all.  Couple coats of paint, and it basically disappears.

• Like 3

So @chengkp75, eventually I'm guessing they will permanently repair her because while structurally sound for now, that still looks pretty significant. How do they do that? Will they weld a section over the top or will they cut the steel out and replace it?

7 hours ago, jsglow said:

So @chengkp75, eventually I'm guessing they will permanently repair her because while structurally sound for now, that still looks pretty significant. How do they do that? Will they weld a section over the top or will they cut the steel out and replace it?

Yes, at next dry dock it will be repaired.  They will cut out the hull plating, frames, and deck behind the dent, and replace it all.

• Like 6

On 2/12/2024 at 7:24 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Fun is subjective.

That wasn't the point.  The point was that that for 50+ years, even before all the whiz-bang features of today's ships, Carnival's business model has been to make getting there (and the activities on the ship) just as much a part of the cruse experience as the ports it visits.

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, at next dry dock it will be repaired.  They will cut out the hull plating, frames, and deck behind the dent, and replace it all.

Yes they have already made an appointment at the body shop then straight to the paint both

She will be good at new

Magic is our favorite 🚢 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 7:11 PM, chengkp75 said:

And, it was the ship's lines and winches that were responsible for the ship moving at the dock, and that movement caused the bumper to fail, which then caused the damage to the ship.  So, the ship is not only responsible for the damage to the ship, but the dock as well.

I have seen the thrusters used to help keep a ship up against the pier, why did they not do this ?

BTW in the great storm of 1993, I was working on the Commodore Caribe1 and we were the only ship that docked in Jamaica for a couple of days...at the James Bond pier. We had massive black tyre marks up the side but we made it.

We also hit the dock in Jamaica when leaving one time, hit the prop and had a bad vibration for a couple weeks until it was fixed during the normal Saturday turn around in Miami.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quattrohead said:

I have seen the thrusters used to help keep a ship up against the pier, why did they not do this ?

It may have taken too long.  You've got to start another diesel and put it on line, and then start the thrusters.  There may also have been underwater reasons for not using the thrusters (too close to bottom, known debris in water, don't want to suck a line into thruster) that would have possibly caused damage to thruster.

3 hours ago, quattrohead said:

We also hit the dock in Jamaica when leaving one time, hit the prop and had a bad vibration for a couple weeks until it was fixed during the normal Saturday turn around in Miami.

Guarantee it wasn't "fixed" during turn around.  The vibration may have been removed, but that would be by cutting the damaged part of a blade off, and also a corresponding amount from the blade opposite the damaged one to balance the prop, and then the prop would need permanent repair in a dry dock.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It may have taken too long.  You've got to start another diesel and put it on line, and then start the thrusters.  There may also have been underwater reasons for not using the thrusters (too close to bottom, known debris in water, don't want to suck a line into thruster) that would have possibly caused damage to thruster.

Guarantee it wasn't "fixed" during turn around.  The vibration may have been removed, but that would be by cutting the damaged part of a blade off, and also a corresponding amount from the blade opposite the damaged one to balance the prop, and then the prop would need permanent repair in a dry dock.

Question:  is it as simple as in dry dock cut out panels and replace and paint?

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what you're asking.

Don't want to speak for @jimbo5544 but I think he's asking if that hull replacement patch is something that can be completed in the typical 3-4 week dry dock timeframe. My guess is no problem. Heck, the Navy patched up Yorktown in 3 days prior to the Battle of Midway. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what you're asking.

Sorry could have been worded better.  The damage (appears to be outer hull) on the Magic from hitting the pier (or area where bumper fell off).  Is it as simple as removing the damaged sections of hull outer plating, and replacing with new skin.  Followup question, if so, does the Coast Guard or other entity need to inspect and sign off?

37 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Don't want to speak for @jimbo5544 but I think he's asking if that hull replacement patch is something that can be completed in the typical 3-4 week dry dock timeframe. My guess is no problem. Heck, the Navy patched up Yorktown in 3 days prior to the Battle of Midway. 

True, way different motivation.  She sure lasted.