Withdrawing Daily Auto Gratuity fees onboard

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

Actually, that's not entirely true, at least according to the US IRS.  However, since most crew aren't US citizens, they may not be paying US taxes.

Tip income is taxable and must be reported | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Did you check the tax rules in Indonesia and the Philippines? That's where the bulk of the tipped crew comes from. They are not from the US, so US rules don't apply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Did you check the tax rules in Indonesia and the Philippines? That's where the bulk of the tipped crew comes from. They are not from the US, so US rules don't apply. 

Quite so. No point jumping to conclusions. It might turn out that it makes no difference to the Asian staff because the tax rates are low for our stewards and sailors. 🙄

On 2/9/2024 at 1:43 PM, Torquer said:

Huh?  Specifically which country in Europe are you talking about?  Every European country I have been to has a vastly different attitude to tipping than the US and Canada, and I have traveled extensively in western Europe.  In most European countries tips are not even expected and if you leave a couple Euros or round up the bill to an even 5 Euros (or pounds or whatever the currency is) the servers are very appreciative.

Your comment makes me wonder if you have ever even been to Europe.

I agree with you 100%.   It is actually not customary to leave gratuities for services which are already included in the cost in Western Europe. It is graciously accepted but not expected,

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

Only cause the IRS hasn't thought of it yet 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:15 PM, Torquer said:

You do realize that if you turn off the daily service charge, then on HAL ships (don't know about other lines), the people you give your individual tips to are not permitted to keep them.  Instead, they go into the same pool fund for the entire crew.  So where the money is going is no different either way.  You could obviously decide to give less overall than the daily service charge if you choose, and that is your prerogative (although I disagree with it).  Just don't think that your money is going to just those crew members that you believe are giving you great service.

I doubt that even matters to the poster. Removing the daily gratuities and ostentatiously tipping a select few publicly is an excellent way to appear generous while actually being cheap and saving a bundle. 
If he sticks to his promise never to sail with HAL again, that is the most considerate gift he could possibly offer our hard working crew.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

I find it interesting after the original OP has not posted since the original post. 

Not surprising after the way that some people piled on him!

Frankly, I'm disappointed. This is an users forum. Sharing info, high five on the good experiences. Commiserating on the bad. Personally, I would give him a pat on the back, and tell him to try again. "Try to balance the negatives against the positives!"

BTW, I agree with him about the forward verandas. I was on K in 4022 to Alaska. There was a huge amount of noise on some afternoons and in the evening. IMO, the worse offender was the synthetic balcony dividers. In high wind, those panels flapped like they were going to tear off. 🤕

Not a problem on the older ships where the balcony dividers are solid metal.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 2

Regarding the no MDR meals, my wife is a picky eater who never has an appetizer and after being on river cruises where large tables are the norm, she dislikes sitting through some people having 2-3 apps before the main meal. We find we can get the same food being served in the MDR and eat at our pace in the Lido. We have enjoyed some dinners in CO on occasion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Not surprising after the way that some people piled on him!

Frankly, I'm disappointed. This is an users forum. Sharing info, high five on the good experiences. Commiserating on the bad.

It's one thing to express a personal opinion, but quite another to make a gratuitous statement about something as serious as food poisoning without any evidence to back it up.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

It's one thing to express a personal opinion, but quite another to make a gratuitous statement about something as serious as food poisoning without any evidence to back it up.

Plus several of the other comments were not based in facts, like cutting the hotel service charge to punish the bar staff, who don't get get money from the hotel service charge.

This was more like a drive by bomb throwing...

• Like 9

I have no idea how the tax structure affects HAL or the employees in their home countries. I do know in the US you are supposed to claim all of your tips and pay taxes on them, cash or credit. I know most people are not honest, but I always did when I was a server and more recently as a housecleaner. So technically cash is not king in the  US 

Here’s an idea - Get to the pier, remove tips and you can take care of your cabin and eat in the Lido. Sounds like exclusion right, but is it?

There’s Club Orange

The renting of cabanas 

Joining the thermal spa for the week.

i can’t do any of these things without paying extra. 

12 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Here’s an idea - Get to the pier, remove tips and you can take care of your cabin and eat in the Lido. Sounds like exclusion right, but is it?

There’s Club Orange

The renting of cabanas 

Joining the thermal spa for the week.

i can’t do any of these things without paying extra. 

I agree with your post but even eating in the Lido, taking care of your own cabin and removing tips still deprives the servers in the Lido, and all the people who are cleaning the ship for you, cooking the food and doing your laundry.

And how does one take care of their own cabin on a 14 day + cruise?  I wash my towels at home more than that 😂 

I just like the simple life, keep them in place and treat the crew nicely.  And, if you are happy (which I usually am) then add a bit extra.  It’s my choice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I agree with your post but even eating in the Lido, taking care of your own cabin and removing tips still deprives the servers in the Lido, and all the people who are cleaning the ship for you, cooking the food and doing your laundry.

And how does one take care of their own cabin on a 14 day + cruise?  I wash my towels at home more than that 😂 

I just like the simple life, keep them in place and treat the crew nicely.  And, if you are happy (which I usually am) then add a bit extra.  It’s my choice.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:05 PM, RuthC said:

I'm especially appreciative of those who keep the public restrooms sparkling and well stocked. 

Hear hear! I have always felt that the worst job on the ship was being assigned to latrine duty on disembarkation day. Nonstop toil ... 🍺🥌

• Like 2

Respectfully, I would caution pax about tipping for the wrong reason.

I used to hand money around in third world countries. Than, I realized that I was sending the wrong messages. Employees deserve dignity. They're paid to do a job. Let them do it.

Tip culture can get out of hand. The last time I was in Mexico, the shuttle driver tried to fleece me. Drove pass my hotel. I had to shout at him to turn around. At the hotel, he had a predatory anticipation in his eyes. I gave him the standard tip. He quoted a sum far higher. He didn't get what he wanted.

IMHO, MSC has the right policy. MSC makes it clear that you can withhold their service charge if staff performance is unsatisfactory. 

“However, should you wish to modify any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard.”

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/service-charges

No mention about a blacklist. In fact, tips are discouraged. The customer is always right!!!!

Here's the professional part of the MSC system. They have designated the CR Manager as the mediator and arbitrator. Presumable, the CR manger will have the time to discuss the problem with the guest. Explain how things work. Apologize where that is needed. Escalate the problem when it is necessary.

Of course, I would tip when the server demonstrates customer focus. Tip extra when the server goes beyond the call of duty. But not out of pity or fear.

Edited by HappyInVan