Safety in Jamaica

keys-prig

we stopped in falmouth in January. Took a ship excursion (NCL) to the Appleton Rum place. It was about a 40 min drive by bus to the plantation. We did enjoy the excursion. Also the port in falmouth is nice. I asked a couple locals about getting to a beach. They said just get a taxi. I askef if Taxi are safe and they said yes. But I wouldn't go that far. 

I was just reading a news story about an American woman who was killed in a drug deal gone bad in Tulum, Mexico.  She wasn't on a cruise, and I'm sure no one on a HAL cruise would be looking for illicit drugs in Mexico or Jamaica, but all it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time for bad s**t to happen.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Exactly.

Syria was safe when I went there in 2010. Ten years later, not so much....

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

And comparing Jamaica to Syria is also comparing apples to oranges.

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And comparing Jamaica to Syria is also comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not the one who made the apples to oranges comparison. My point wasn't to compare but to illustrate that things do change significantly over time.

• Like 7

Ocho Rios, Jamacia is the only cruise port where I've had someone try to sell me drugs in the daytime while crossing the street. 😮

I won't even consider booking a cruise with a stop in Jamacia.  I just don't want any of my $$$ supporting the persecution of the LGBT community. 

• Like 4

When I hear "Jamaica and crime," I'm reminded of a law school classmate who wound up practicing law on St. Thomas, USVI. A big part of his practice has always involved representing accused drug dealers or drug smugglers, and many of his clients have been Jamaican. He used to fly to Jamaica to meet potential clients or witnesses, but not anymore. My friend is a pretty fearless guy in most respects (he was a Navy SEAL before law school and is proficient in firearms), but he came close to being killed on one trip in an ambush by a rival of one of his clients. Jamaica is the only place in the Caribbean he won't travel to.

Obviously, my friend deals professionally with a pretty rough crowd, people that typical cruise passengers would not likely encounter. But his experiences would certainly give me pause about going there.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not the one who made the apples to oranges comparison. My point wasn't to compare but to illustrate that things do change significantly over time.

And if you go back to 2013 (or even earlier) when we were on a cruise that included a stop in Ochos Rios, Jamaica, you will read the same warnings and the same posts about not getting off the ship.. 

• Like 1

If I were to return to Jamaica I would only take a large bus ship excursion.   I took my nieces and they wanted to go to the falls, I took them on a ship excursion.  After driving through the city and countryside I thought better of recreating in the river or any body of water.  I know we are talking criminal safety but I would also be concerned about hygiene 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And if you go back to 2013 (or even earlier) when we were on a cruise that included a stop in Ochos Rios, Jamaica, you will read the same warnings and the same posts about not getting off the ship.. 

Was there a Level 3 US State Department warning in place then?

• Like 1

Two comments based on recent trips:

1) In the Falmouth area, the cruise port area is pretty much closed off from the rest of the town and has the usual type of shops that are everywhere.  I would consider that area to be pretty safe.  We did walk out of the port into the area adjacent to the cruise port.  I am not going to say that it was a rough area but I probably would not do it again.  When crew members leave the port area, they are instructed to travel in groups.

2) In February 2023, we did take a cruise sponsored excursion on a 25 passenger bus with a guide and a driver that involved about a 45 minute drive each way.  I will say that in my life, I have never had as many near "head on" collisions as I had on that drive.  Jamaican drivers will pass on narrow and windy two lane roads.

I think that one of the issues with cruise lines these days, is what ports can all of these ships visit on an itinerary?  Places like Cozumel have 7-8 ships in one days.  This almost requires them to travel to less palatable destinations that they would probably like to avoid.

Personally, we do not like the private islands and try to avoid certain ports like those in Jamaica and Belize City where there are security concerns.

• Like 3

Aloha. Blessed to travel the world since the 1960s and the reality is everything has changed and often not for the better. I am a regular visitor to Bermuda by sea and air and read their daily news digitally as well as other papers around the world. Once a truly safe haven is no longer. Jamaica sad to say has always been a place to keep sharp eyes but being from NY it is second nature but will not keep me from traveling. All the best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Was there a Level 3 US State Department warning in place then?

I honestly cannot answer that question because I do not know. What I can say is there was the same chatter about "I would never get off in Jamaica" in these boards back then (2013) when we visited Jamaica as a port.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I honestly cannot answer that question because I do not know. What I can say is there was the same chatter about "I would never get off in Jamaica" in these boards back then (2013) when we visited Jamaica as a port.

Well, it's not like Jamaica has suddenly become a crime hot spot in the past 10 years.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

After driving through the city and countryside I thought better of recreating in the river or any body of water

What does this mean....recreating in the river ? 

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 4:37 PM, keys-prig said:

I will be cruising on the Eurodam in March.We booked a shore excursion in Jamaica. My husband is concerned about our safety. I believe the current status is a level 3. Should we cancel our excursion?

I personally will never get off at another Jamaica port ever again. The pushy aggressive vendors are terrifying. We even had some get in our face and threaten us if we don't buy. Again, just my opinion, but I would never get off in Jamaica. If my cruise stops there, we just stay onboard.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And you think people were not telling me the same about Syria in 2010?

There is a difference between subjective opinions about "unpleasantness" like persistent offers of drugs or being bothered re: hair braiding and objective reports of increased numbers of murders and armed robberies.

As a frequent world-wide traveler, one needs to have some kind of a barometer regarding safety in various destinations. The US State Department Advisories are a fairly good barometer. 

Someone raised a question upstream about insurance. I am pretty sure that insurance will NOT cover incidents that occur in places that have a travel level of 4 (e.g., "Do Not Travel). But there are a number of ports that receive a Level 3 warning, either from time to time or pretty much constantly -- and ships still go there. In those cases it's up to the individual to decide whether they think the risk is worth it. Sometimes it takes additional research to figure out that the warning really only applies to a small area of a given country (e.g., at times this has been true of Turkey). At other times the whole areas may be somewhat unstable or unsafe (e.g., Jamaica). 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 4

Jamaica's travel warning was for particular areas of the country. For example, most of Montego Bay was mentioned, but Ocho Rios was not. That said, when NS diverted from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay last week, we went as far as the cruise terminal and that was it. The town, we heard, was pretty much shut down because no cruise ships were expected that day. Beaches were closed as were much of the tourist stops. Reading further down in the warning, it states that certain government staff have a do not travel warning. 

St. James Parish/Montego Bay—Do Not Travel

All of Montego Bay on the inland side of the A1 highway and The Queen’s Drive from San San to Harmony Beach Park

We pay attention to the Canada travel site as well which advised us to avoid parts of Montego Bay. 

We had booked an excursion in Ocho Rios that I think we would have felt safe going to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twprincessfirsties said:

JThat said, when NS diverted from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay last week, we went as far as the cruise terminal and that was it.

Just curious why the NS was diverted? Was it weather-related?

On 2/12/2024 at 5:46 AM, FlaMariner said:

I'd be OK if my biggest concern in Jamaica is aggressive sales folks and hair braiders........I can handle that....It's this from the USA State Dept RE: Jamaica that causes pause.......Again, a great day to enjoy the ship.....

Country Summary: Violent crimes, such as home invasions, armed robberies, sexual assaults, and homicides, are common. Sexual assaults occur frequently, including at all-inclusive resorts.

Local police often do not respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. When arrests are made, cases are infrequently prosecuted to a conclusive sentence. Families of U.S. citizens killed in accidents or homicides frequently wait a year or more for final death certificates to be issued by Jamaican authorities. The homicide rate reported by the Government of Jamaica has for several years been among the highest in the Western Hemisphere. U.S. government personnel under COM security responsibility are prohibited from traveling to the areas listed below, from using public buses, and from driving outside of prescribed areas of Kingston at night.

Emergency services and hospital care vary throughout the island, and response times and quality of care may vary from U.S. standards. Public hospitals are under-resourced and cannot always provide high level or specialized care. Private hospitals require payment up front before admitting patients and may not have the ability to provide specialized care. Ambulance services are not always readily available, especially in rural areas, and are not always staffed by trained personnel.

This is interesting as we all look back at a news story from Kansas City yesterday, or perhaps any number of news stories we see from the US several times a month. Think about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This is interesting as we all look back at a news story from Kansas City yesterday, or perhaps any number of news stories we see from the US several times a month. Think about it.

Not sure what you are referencing about the USA but I found stats that show Jamaica at the top of the heap in terms of murders per person.....I'm feeling safe in Kansas City....not so much in Montego Bay. 

Ranking of the most dangerous countries in the world in 2023, by murder rate (per 100,000 inhabitants)

Expand statistic
  • Like 2