The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 12th, 2024

kazu

While there have been a number of photos of Normandy sites I don't remember much about Cherbourg itself.  These are from the Nieuw Statendam in 2019:

degaulle.jpg

City Hall

cityhall.jpg

Interior and exterior views of the Basilica:

basilica.jpg

On my walk I found a nice little Patisserie that just had to be saved for part of my lunch:

patisserie.jpg

Near the cruise terminal there was a maritime museum with a fisherman's memorial out front:

pecheurs.jpg

And, finally, an overview of the city from  one of Nieuw Statendam's top decks:

cityview.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Birthday to Abe. Darwin did important work. No hug here unless BFF comes over. I like the quote. Yes to the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I was in Normandy on my TA earlier this year, although limited in touring due to my fall on the ship. 2 good days in history.

It's cloudy and 37F now. We're to get rain this evening, changing to snow. We won't be hit as hard as NE, with only 1-2". Sleep was about the same. I had a lot of pain this AM, and didn't get to spend my usual time upstairs recovering, as the POD is coming today and I wanted to be available if needed. There is still stuff in the DR, but not too much.

@MISTER 67 Happy Birthday!

@kazu Thanks for our start today. I hope the people coming to work on the house are satisfactory. Around here it's hard to find dependable people who do good work.

@grapau27 Nice photos.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry your sleep was interrupted by the storms. Thanks for posting Lenda's photos.

@Mr. Boston Safe travels and smart to head out before the storms.

@superoma Happy CC Anniversary, and thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is continuing to show some improvement from her infection.

@ottahand7 Congrats on earning 5 star!

@ger_77 I hope the change to DH's pacemaker helps him feel better.

@RMLincoln Prayers for a successful outcome for DH today.

@rafinmd Thanks for today's maps and the photos from Cherbourg.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good days - DH and fur babies shall all get extra hugs. The meal sounds good, would try the drink and wine, not been to the port.

The Counters must have the day off again.

20240212_101447.thumb.jpg.6e47916abecdb5b31453c1e1466e7940.jpg

I spent over 2 hours on the phone yesterday getting my May cruise changed; the TA kept putting me on hold while she called HAL - she would recap the changes, something would not be right so she'd call them again. She finally said she would add me to the call so we could just get it all straight and stop the back & forth, geez she should have done that in the beginning. As the HAL person fixed something she said other things would change and she'd have to fix those; it was a mess. So, after more than 2 hours, both HAL and TA said everything looked good and updated booking confirmations were going out. Yay! Nooooo - when I looked at the booking it showed a Gty rather than the cabin I told the TA I wanted. So, I did a hold for the cabin I want to secure it and will call again today to get that fixed and will see about adding CO while I'm at it. Good grief.

Thanks to all who shared their Normandy pictures - they're beautiful and touching.🙏📸

Currently 45° (feels colder) headed to windy 57°. Maybe the wind will help dry out the yard, but don't think so - there is a lot of standing water.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240212_101317.thumb.jpg.53c539bf40ccedd4ccc01b197a55a573.jpg

20240211_190801.thumb.jpg.d09bf1217ecb18032656dd1dd115d4b6.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good day from sunny Hamilton. The windows are open and we are loving this balmy weather. I did not watch the Chiefs win but the Phoenix open was great. Nick Taylor won for Canada. Happy birthday to those on this list and many more. I just signed up for private health care,something I thought I would never do. However needs must. Anyway thanks to everyone for the dailies and maps. Enjoy your day and keep your nose clean as my dad used to say.

• Like 25

Hello All. Sorry to hear about the continued medical/health issues for so many but glad to see so many packing for new travels.

We had a wonderful time on our 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Rotterdam.  Unfortunately when I came back w/in a day I had Covid.  I had most of the cold type symptoms but the paxlovid caused the GI issues as well. With all of these plus the complete exhaustion that comes with this new variant I have not been out of the house since last week.  I still have the exhaustion but I finished the paxlovid so the awful taste in my mouth is dissipating.  I am trying to get up the energy to go to the grocery store.  I did manage to work most days last week- with many breaks in between.  It was about all I could manage to do. The benefits of working remotely.  

I 1/2 watched the Super Bowl - I don't really follow professional football though as a Penn State alumna I used to follow college football quite closely. Now the only sport I love to watch is ice skating and some tennis, and gymnastics at the Olympics. I am looking forward to that this summer.  

Other than work not much on my agenda - as I said trying to get up the energy for the grocery store later today but if I don't make it, I do have enough to eat in the house.

Healing thoughts to all.  And so sorry to hear about the passing of friends and family of the daily family.  

• Like 27

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Very best wishes today.

I hope you have an amazing round of golf today and a Hole in One would make the day perfect for you.

Decent round and our team came in first place, I also had a Closest to Pin on #2.

Back 9 was pretty windy, 2 club difference on some shots. Thanks again for the a year older wishes.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Decent round and our team came in first place, I also had a Closest to Pin on #2.

Back 9 was pretty windy, 2 club difference on some shots. Thanks again for the a year older wishes.

Fantastic result.

• Like 10

Good morning from the Koningsdam somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.  I haven't opened the curtains yet, so I don't know what the weather is lioe.  

There are three good days to celebrate today.

A good quote from Lao Tzu, but I suspect it isn't always easy to follow the wise advice.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

Two more good days in modern history to celebrate.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for reposting my pictures.   Cherbourg is interesting, although we saw most of it as we drove to and from the D Day beaches and towns.  For the first ten years or so, when we cruised HAL, there were different tiles given out.  Some showed the current ship named on the tiles, and others showed older ships with the same name.  I'm glad your DGD will be moving, and I'm sending positive thoughts she aces the final presentation.

@GlennG Welcome to the Fleet Report and Daily.

@superoma  Happy CC Anniversary, Eva.

@MISTER 67  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  I glad you had a good morning on the golf course.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels to both of you today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I don't say it often, but you, Tana, and the entire family are in my thoughts as I understand about some days being harder than others.

@ger_77  Gerry, I glad you got out of the house yesterday.  I hope the adjustment to your DH"s pacemaker gives him more energy.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I hope all goes well for your DH at the eye surgeon today.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm sorry your pain is still so bad.  Thank you for the pictures of the American Cemetery.  It is a beautiful, peaceful and solemn final resting place for fallen soldiers from both world wars.

@Haljo1935  I hope you get your booking straightened out today.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Waking up on a Tuesday morning. Another sea day unless we can’t tender tomorrow. Yesterday, the wind picked up and so did the waves so we had some pretty good movement onboard and we still have some this morning.

We enjoyed watching the Super Bowl and it was a great game.

Nothing really planned for today. Probably will play morning trivia and will see what else is offered.

Last night our guest entertainer Tom Seals entertained with great piano and singing. He can get the piano doing some Boogie Woogie.

Time to rise and check out Tuesday. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.jpeg.a5aed114fb27a203ce8798e51bac2949.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 20

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

...That means I will probably be getting my 5 Star pin.  I have had my 5 star room key since the beginning of this segment.  Woo hoo! 

IMG_20240212_070955334_HDR.jpg

Woo Hoo indeed and congrats on the 5*!! Enjoy the reception - you earned it.🏅🥇🥈🥉🏅

Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Well, the POD is here, and it's huge! It should easily hold 3 rooms of furniture (the foyer doesn't have much). The contractor is concerned with tomorrow's snow, and people tracking in and out of the house, so furniture moving will be Thursday or Friday (I have a medical appointment on Wednesday), and floor refinishing next week.

@tupper10 I'm sorry to hear that you contracted Covid after your cruise, and that you have so much fatigue. 

• Like 23

I enjoyed the Super Bowl yesterday.  It was much closer than I expected.  We have Direct TV and normally would have watched it on the CBS station.  However, DTV has not shown CBS for some time due to contract problems.  They suggested that I try using an antenna.  Big mistake on their part, as I found that I have more channels and a clearer picture with the antenna.  So I plan to cancel DTV today and save a few bucks each month.

I wonder if, as we become older, we naturally become less tolerant of some of the current "fashions".  I couldn't believe the first singer they had before the game started.  I am sure he started as an attractive young man.  But after having most of his body tattooed including writings and symbols all over his face and replacing all of his teeth with stainless steel ones, I am wondering if anyone thinks he improved his appearance or that helps him get a job as an entertainer.

Ray

• Like 14

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I enjoyed the Super Bowl yesterday.  It was much closer than I expected.  We have Direct TV and normally would have watched it on the CBS station.  However, DTV has not shown CBS for some time due to contract problems.  They suggested that I try using an antenna.  Big mistake on their part, as I found that I have more channels and a clearer picture with the antenna.  So I plan to cancel DTV today and save a few bucks each month.

I wonder if, as we become older, we naturally become less tolerant of some of the current "fashions".  I couldn't believe the first singer they had before the game started.  I am sure he started as an attractive young man.  But after having most of his body tattooed including writings and symbols all over his face and replacing all of his teeth with stainless steel ones, I am wondering if anyone thinks he improved his appearance or that helps him get a job as an entertainer.

Ray

Post Malone. 🎶As soon as I heard his name, I told DH to be prepared to see Tats Galore. 🥴DH said a roadmap was easier to read. I don't know if he has a nice singing voice, cuz I can't get the picture out of my head. I recognize him from watching " The Voice." Sorry, Post, if you read this, I'm sure your creativity on full display brings you joy. And no offense to anyone here - that much ink in those places is just not for me.

We also watched The Game w/OTA antenna because our DirectTV box isn't working. I'm wondering why we continue to pay for TV. DH says it's so he can watch sports. 🙄

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Ray

I agree! We aren't into Usher but we enjoyed his show.  I guess the NFL has completely given up on us boomers.  His persona not Usher ruined his beautiful song.  Cannot unsee him. 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Waking up on a Tuesday morning. Another sea day unless we can’t tender tomorrow. Yesterday, the wind picked up and so did the waves so we had some pretty good movement onboard and we still have some this morning.

We enjoyed watching the Super Bowl and it was a great game.

Nothing really planned for today. Probably will play morning trivia and will see what else is offered.

Last night our guest entertainer Tom Seals entertained with great piano and singing. He can get the piano doing some Boogie Woogie.

Time to rise and check out Tuesday. Thanks for the reports and post. Bruce

image.jpeg.a5aed114fb27a203ce8798e51bac2949.jpeg

LOVE IT!

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 5

Surprised how easy it was to cancel DTV.  Made a phone call and had it done in about five minutes.  Since my gear is so old, they didn't want me to send it back.  So that saves me about a thousand a year.

Ray

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@kazu  what are the odd symbols (instead of letters) that show up in your wine selections?

the odd symbols are characters that don't translate from the web site I copied the wine name from. I can't tell that they are messed up until I see them on the day.

It should show as "Mülheimer", not the umlaut over the u.

They show correctly in some places, but not in others.

Rich

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Surprised how easy it was to cancel DTV.  Made a phone call and had it done in about five minutes.  Since my gear is so old, they didn't want me to send it back.  So that saves me about a thousand a year.

Ray

That's good news and I hope to be right behind you.

• Like 5