The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 12th, 2024

kazu

Since DS wanted me to have the tiles, maybe I should reconsider releasing the tiles and keep them in our collection.  I wonder when that particular tile came out?  They don't come with dates stamped on them as far as I can remember.  Our current tiles would be from 2014 forward.  

Still raining hard off and on with thunder and lightning all around us.  A good day to stay home.

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. Roy, thank you for our maps!

A lovely 66 this morning. Will start cooling off a bit over the next few days. Yesterday was gorgeous!

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us, in spite of your pain. Praying that the procedure gives you the relief you deserve and need. 

I am still looking for a volunteer to take on the Wine du Jour postings from February 17th - 25th. If willing to help, just shoot me an email at annge3@gmail.com

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and more grout cleaning will keep me busy. 

IMG_2577.jpeg.c7e1d6090b83c2cdc37db5552c4b473e.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg.4c32ab33a8d9f46a93a600824d6fc546.jpeg

IMG_2563.jpeg.f19e3cbe486b7a5d2ce2a66ffee70a4a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, trauma, or debilitating conditions, or grieving the loss of a loved one. The caregivers. 

Terry, thinking of Tana and you today. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! That means you @MISTER 67!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2022 Riesling, Mülheimer Sonnenlay Zeppelin, Max Ferd. Richter, Mosel

Good thing I keep my decoder ring charged. Never know when I will need it. Today’s Riesling has lots of consumer fans, is easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $16.93.

Winemaker Notes

On the nose, apple, citrus and slate stone. Clean pure structure; mineral texture with rich mouth-filling flavors of orchard fruits and juicy layers. Shows a well zesty and spicy refreshing style. Well-balanced structure, animating. The elegant fruit structure finishes with great length.

“Zeppelin-Riesling” is produced from estate grown and contracted fruit, the latter by fellow wine growers from Mülheim.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

Feb 12

Today is 14 years that I joined CC. Most of my time has been spent on the HAL board although I have been on RCCL and princess roll calls. I will have to do some digging to see which cruise promoted me to join CC.

Lentil and ham soup

The first recipe has ideas to use what you have in the pantry. You could skip the croutons or use store bought croutons. Very hearty in the middle of winter.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/classic-lentil-soup-with-ham-3051271

image.png.cc2bad61671edd9a8840e3b6a98ef92b.png

And here is one with my favourite appliance, the slow cooker.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/crock-pot-ham-and-lentil-soup/

image.thumb.png.4b49fdc44aed75f31bec2c157e697360.png

This one also has instant pot directions. A little heavy on the lentils so I would use less, maybe only one cup. Or use canned lentils if you have them for a faster prep 

https://cookathomemom.com/classic-lentil-and-ham-soup/

image.thumb.png.e37c605c4abc6895523bcef26bcb0a1b.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 17

Good Monday morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Three good days along with the meal and drink.  I think I will skip the wine and I have never been to the report.  I agree with Lao Tzu.  Interesting days in history.

ScreenShot2024-02-12at05_53_14.png.d7f16bd6eff3cd77dd8b5cbcba1e4c0b.png

Cold start to the morning as it is 34F but the day should warm up to mid 60s under sunny skies.  I got a lot done yesterday - haircut, picking up some odds and ends, and lots of packing.  Today off to get my mani/pedi and PT.  I am bringing a trigger point ball and my stretching strap and have made a commitment to myself to do my exercises daily and visit the gym onboard at least 3x/week.  But no pickleball!!  🤣  My PT guy and I have come to a decision that I can't take any meds before any excursion I will be doing as I will over do it. I don't want to pay the exorbitant high prices the spa charges for massages!!  

IMG_4194.thumb.JPG.8b6bd552d830488b5e5dc7ed150baf58.JPG

Last bit of packing today is on the agenda also and then straightening up the house in preparation for leaving.  I still don't have my cabin number which I hope is a good sign they might upgrade me!  🤞

ScreenShot2024-02-12at05_56_50.thumb.png.a82d46cc6bb4fcc2d3f95c023af9144a.png

@MISTER 67 Happy Birthday!  Congrats to the KC Chiefs (though I didn't watch the game).

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

ScreenShot2024-02-12at05_55_00.thumb.png.565e27d726ad563d8c1cf0fb5a7d464a.pngScreenShot2024-02-12at05_55_00.thumb.png.565e27d726ad563d8c1cf0fb5a7d464a.png

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good cloudy morning. Snow starts tonight , still expecting 1/3 inches, but the chance for higher is 36%. 
Today is a memory day. On this day in 1992, my grandfather passed, he was 4 months shy of his 100th birthday. 
Just some errands to run before the storm.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists .

• Like 29

Good morning. Our weather people are all excited today since the report shows some snow for our area tonight and tomorrow. It is cloudy and 35 going up to 40.

I will celebrate all three days, like the quote and the recipe but have not been to the port. 

@MISTER 67, a very Happy Birthday to you! 

@Mr. Boston, safe travels to both of you today. I am glad you were able to change flights.

@cat shepard, Thank you so much for your kindness. Some days are harder than others but when I read your words I do feel better. 

Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from the Caribbean on our way to HMC.  Another night and day of rough seas but it is beautifully sunny.   Our clocks moved back to Eastern time, perfect being up until midnight watching the OT Super Bowl.  I picked the Chiefs and am $100 ahead because John insisted on betting.  It was a thriller for sure, no ads for us just unending LaLiga soccer ads from ESPN.  

Thanks for the daily reports each day Jacqui and Roy.  I was in Normandy and Brittany for 5 days in 2013 and the photos brought back many happy memories of that land trip. 

Continued prayers for everyone on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  

We had a beautiful sunrise and a very busy day ahead of us after all of our relaxation. A Mariner reception at 11, lunch with new friends in the PG at 12, fancy wine tasting at 2 and Tamarind at 5.  This is only the second Mariner reception I have been invited to this cruise.  We skipped the first one at 6:30 on our first cruise day at the Lido pool on January 3.  Only President's Club and 5 stars have been invited since then and usually it is for giving 300+ day medallions.  That means I will probably be getting my 5 Star pin.  I have had my 5 star room key since the beginning of this segment.  Woo hoo! 

IMG_20240212_070955334_HDR.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln and Mr. Darwin; you both led memorable lives.  I'll be sure to give DH an extra hug today.

Interesting quote, but for some reason it reminds me of the song from Frozen:  Let It Go.  Yes, my brain works in mysterious ways.  LOL

It's a cool morning out there, as the temperature has gone down again; this time we're at -14C (6F), but the sky looks clear, so I'm sure the sun will warm things up again.  It was a nice sunny day yesterday so I suggested to DH that we go for a drive.  I wanted to pick up a floral tribute to deliver to my cousins, as we aren't able to attend my aunt's funeral out of town, so off we went.  He came into the store for almost 10 minutes before deciding he'd better sit down, so I walked him back to the car (to be sure he got there without going down), went back and finished my shopping.  He stayed in the car while I brought the flowers in to my cousin's, and was happy when we got home so he could just sit and relax.

Happy Birthday @MISTER 67 with many happy and healthy returns of the day!

@Mr. Boston safe travels as you head off to FLL in advance of the storm . . . wise decision, I think!

@RMLincolnI hope all goes well for the removal of one of DH's sutures.

Late yesterday afternoon we enjoyed the company of Sophia and Wei, but oh my, their 6 year old twins are busy little people!!  I finally went and closed the doors to the bedrooms and computer room, as they were investigating everything!  Sochi came out to say hello and quickly retreated to her perch above the printer in the computer room to escape their attention.  They left early so the kids could be bathed and get into bed for school tomorrow, so DH and I set ourselves up and watched the Super Bowl.  I chose the Chiefs, so DH cheered for the 49'ers . . . yay for my team!  What impressed me most was that Usher was so agile on roller skates; it doesn't take much to impress me, does it?

This afternoon we have to go to the Cardiac Device Clinic so they can increase the strength of DH's pacemaker from 50 to 60 beats per minute; hopefully that will give him a little more energy.  I haven't had a martini in years, so will take a pass on it, will let others enjoy the white wine, and neither of us really cares for lentils, so that's a no as well.  I've got a small pork roast that will go into the crock pot in a short while accompanied by a bottle of barbecue sauce and a pkg of onion soup mix and will be turned into pulled pork sandwiches that we can enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, or in sorrow.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. Our weather people are all excited today since the report shows some snow for our area tonight and tomorrow. It is cloudy and 35 going up to 40.

I will celebrate all three days, like the quote and the recipe but have not been to the port. 

@MISTER 67, a very Happy Birthday to you! 

@Mr. Boston, safe travels to both of you today. I am glad you were able to change flights.

@cat shepard, Thank you so much for your kindness. Some days are harder than others but when I read your words I do feel better. 

Enjoy the day everyone!

I always hope they do. Sometimes I fear “it’s the same old, same old…”. 

❤️

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Classic Martini

Today's drink is not a pseudotini -- it's the real thing!

But what constitutes a "classic" martini is open to discussion. Drinks of that name were known in the 19th century, but were sweet drinks. Why the name "martini" is used is disputed: maybe it came from Martini & Rossi, maker of vermouth, or maybe it originated in the San Francisco Bay Area and is named for the town of Martinez.

The modern formulation was stabilized by about 1920 and what I'm accepting as a classic martini is the recipe from that time. The martini grew in popularity in the United States during Prohibition because of the availability of bathtub gin.

After the repeal of Prohibition, when better gin was available, the preferred martini grew drier and drier, that is, less vermouth. In the Roaring 20s it was two parts gin to one part dry vermouth; the dry martini is typically five parts gin to one part vermouth. I associate the dry martini with the Mad Men era and people who demanded it so dry that it was essentially straight gin.

In 1966 the American Standards Association published "Safety Code and Requirements for Dry Martinis." The last revision, published by its successsor ANSI, was in 1974.

20230908-SEA-Martini-TwoBites-04-c25657f74b634726bdce127e304c2d82.jpg.1594c9cec3b4bf3b9927541900440a1e.jpg

2 ounces dry gin

1 ounce dry vermouth

1 dash orange bitters (optional, but highly recommended)

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass and fill with ice. Stir well* to chill and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Twist a piece of lemon peel over the drink and use as garnish, or, if you must, toss in an olive.

*James Bond was wrong.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Getting ready to leave for eye doctor 🤞. So glad it’s today and not tomorrow with the storm coming in. Many thanks for all your support. I’m a bit nervous, can’t imagine how DH feels!  

Happy Birthday @MISTER 67 and safe travels @Mr. Boston  Glad you can get out ahead of the storm. Seems it’ll be a mess! 
Catch up later, m—

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Its 57 with light rain, but boy we had a heck of a boom of thunder last night!  And of course I do have to go walk the dog this morning.

I made crab dip last night for the game, but DH and I fixed a couple of tacos, ate around 6, and didnt have any appetite for the crab dip, so I guess it will end up being part of lunch or dinner.  The older we get, the less likely we are to end up at a buffet.  DH is losing weight at a rapid pace, and I have to nag to get him to eat.  So far the only meals that really appeal to us are second breakfasts and ice cream.

8285f877e44ff61d52e33ee0b48aca37.jpg

ce5a0a8662f2ae2703b0bdfa56993654.jpg

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

I have been to Cherbourg, once when we moved to France, (Queen Mary 1960) and once when we left France *Queen Elizabeth 1963) .  Other than stopping on the way to our new home, and my mom ordering Sole, which she loved, and my dad ordering me beef tongue, which I made him eat, I have no other memories of Cherbourg.

And I like the quote, I was thinking of something similar this morning about a friend, who lost her son several years ago.  I know losing a child is terrible, he was a grown man, but after he passed away, she went and took all of his belongings out of the house that he lived in with his partner and their child. Anyway, to me it was like if she couldnt be with him, she would have all his stuff to be with.  But robbed the partner and child of all their stuff that they shared too. 

When I was so sick on the ship, the doc pointed out to me that we are born, we live and we die.  And if I didn't want to die now, I had better think about getting well.  Find something to live for.  I asked if I could have a burial at sea, and he said no, so I put my sights on things to live for.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Feb 12

Today is 14 years that I joined CC. Most of my time has been spent on the HAL board although I have been on RCCL and princess roll calls. I will have to do some digging to see which cruise promoted me to join CC.

Happy anniversary 🙂   

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Today is a memory day. On this day in 1992, my grandfather passed, he was 4 months shy of his 100th birthday. 

Happy heavenly birthday to your grandfather 😇. May good memories bring you solace.

23 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Getting ready to leave for eye doctor 🤞. So glad it’s today and not tomorrow with the storm coming in. Many thanks for all your support. I’m a bit nervous, can’t imagine how DH feels!  

Best wishes to you both.  I’m so glad it’s before the storm. 👍 

3 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

We’re heading out for Ft. Lauderdale at lunchtime ahead of the storm tomorrow.

I think that is a very smart move. Safe travels to you.

@MISTER 67 a very happy birthday to you.

IMG_9960.gif.95306ac69a05315d690014bd853422c4.gif

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I grew up in a state where Lincoln's Birthday was a legal holiday. To be clear, the Federal holiday later this month is not President's Day: the legislation calls it the Birthday of George Washington.

The weekend nearest Charles Darwin's birthday is Religion and Science weekend in houses of worship; until a year or two ago it was called Evolution Weekend. I organized it here for 15 years, but this year there was nothing.

No on the soup. OK on the drink but I don't have vermouth on hand. For a Riesling, 2021 Davis Vineyard from Damiani Wine Cellers on the east shore of Seneca Lake. I haven't been to Cherbourg.

I need to organize myself for more shopping, because we're expecting a lot of snow tonight and tomorrow.

hoardercollie.thumb.jpg.274df29de35279d148b086b242bb37db.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 8