Is it really worth it?

CruiseLibre

First time cruising with my wife and daughter this summer (other daughter refuses to go, too cool for skool!) and starting to have second thoughts as the 14 day cruise which seemed like a good deal to start with now just seems like a way to extract as much money from you as possible, either before you sail or whilst you're on board.

We got one of the ports dropped from the itinerary early on after booking and an extra sea day added on (3 days at sea for one leg), that was the first disappointment as although we understand that these things can happen, this port was one of the main reasons we booked the cruise, what annoyed me is that Princess were completely uninterested and didn't want to know, didn't offer anything in recompense like some other cruise lines do like 'free at sea' etc. (Hello NCL!) and didn't really care what the customer thought, it just felt like a really bad experience for our first cruise. They also hold you to ransom with the deposit by the "You want to cancel? sure, we have pocketed your £600"...so long sucker, so I am hanging in there in the hope that something good happens, although that's not looking too hopeful right now.

The customer experience is something I feel really strongly about as I've worked in customer experience my entire life and this felt like an absolute kick in the teeth and sod the customer. I even spoke to them online and although I don't blame the online agent as they are bound by what they're allowed to do, they didn't want to know, first fail in my book, but they still want more money from me, you can see where this is heading. I totally get they can't just hand out freebies for something that is probably outwith their control but if you want more money from me, I feel I want something it appease my initial disappointment first, is this unreasonable? This experience has tainted the entire cruise for me as I feel I'm just a cash cow right now for Princess when they should be pulling out all the stops.

We are five months from the cruise and although we have paid for a balcony (not much extra tbh and got this because our daughter is not a great sailor and access to fresh air is a bonus) but the not so obvious hidden costs and up selling to plus packages et al. are taking the shine off what should be a nice cruise, but that's before you start paying for onboard services and shore excursions.

Our costs before we even step on ship are £5k approx without the Plus package or any up selling which will occur either closer to the time or on board.

The "Just get the Plus package" advice pushes the costs to £7k, not a small figure for any family and especially during a cost of living crisis, and that's before shore excursions or anything else. I just can't wrap my head about how much do you actually need to spend before it actually feels like a care free all-inclusive experience, which it certainly doesn't feel like it at the moment, it's like there's a toll booth at every turn.

I feel once I'm on board I will be forced to pay for x to fall in line with the rest of the crowd and although shows etc. are included, as are the main dining room and other advertised areas that don't include all the other things that you'll have to pay for by the end of the cruise. Yes, pay up front for Plus which tbh we wouldn't feel we would get the value for money others may get from this but feel that we should pay for it for the more inclusive experience.

What I'm saying is that a £5k cruise involves having to pay nearly half the cruise cost again to get just that little bit closer to more inclusive experience, right now it feels like an economy class experience trying to dupe you into paying more than what you will actually use on board. £5k isn't enough for a speciality coffee, really?

We paid around £600 deposit and although I can easily afford to take the hit if I want to cancel, and can well afford the cruise, I'm just a stickler for getting value for money and right now it's a £8k-£9k cruise realistically by the end with the plus package and excursions. We also have around £1k costs to get to the ship before it sails on top of the cruise cost, so make that £10k as a realistic end of cruise price. Some may say, but your getting a 14 day cruise for £x but the longer you're on a ship the more you'll spend too, and the cruise lines know this.

Some may say, just go on the cruise and enjoy it, but it's pretty hard having had the experience from Princess up to now, knowing how much extra I have to pay to try and have a nice time on board, it's all one way traffic, so to speak. I know itinerary changes happen, it's just becoming a hard pill to swallow based on my experience so far, keep paying for more disappointment later on down to the road?

Disgruntled? yes, it feels like a bottomless pit of money I am throwing my money into when Princess have changed the goal posts and I just have to suck it up, I just need someone to change my mind before I hit the cancel button....be gentle. :classic_unsure:

Edited by CruiseLibre
Correct headline

• CruiseLibre changed the title to Is it really worth it?

It definitely is a bottomless money pit - as long as you keep throwing money into it. We don't book packages. The math for plus or premium just doesn't work for us. We also don't spend much on board either, in fact I refer to us as a couple of freeloaders. We don't do many excursions, and we don't do specialty dining much either. We only do specialty restaurants if they're included in a promo. We have a wonderful time on our cruises and don't feel deprived at all. We find that there's plenty to do on the ship without paying extra, and we enjoy getting off the ship and just walking around. I don't know if you'll be able to have a good time without all the extras. Only you know that. If you can't do that, then you'll either decide whether to pay whatever or just not cruise. It's a tough decision, isn't it.

• Like 18

Cruise is what you want it to be.  If you want more, you will pay for it.  There are plenty of cruisers who stick to the standard fare, don't eat at the specialty restaurants, don't drink alcohol, and don't purchase shore excursions directly through Princess.  Personally, I don't eat at the specialty restaurants, have my alcoholic drinks at bars while in port, and book my shore excursions independently.

• Like 4

I think based on your post, you should cancel and find another vacation.

You yourself has said this experience has tainted the entire cruise for you. It won't get better, sounds like you will just dwell on it and especially if anything else goes wrong between now and then.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

It definitely is a bottomless money pit - as long as you keep throwing money into it. We don't book packages. The math for plus or premium just doesn't work for us. We also don't spend much on board either, in fact I refer to us as a couple of freeloaders. We don't do many excursions, and we don't do specialty dining much either. We only do specialty restaurants if they're included in a promo. We have a wonderful time on our cruises and don't feel deprived at all. We find that there's plenty to do on the ship without paying extra, and we enjoy getting off the ship and just walking around. I don't know if you'll be able to have a good time without all the extras. Only you know that. If you can't do that, then you'll either decide whether to pay whatever or just not cruise. It's a tough decision, isn't it.

Exactly!  Just say “no” to expensive alcohol packages, onboard sales, spa treatments, and bingo.  My bill on my last cruise was $9.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Just now, wolfie11 said:

Exactly!  Just say “no” to expensive alcohol packages, onboard sales, spa treatments, and bingo.  My bill on my last cruise was $9.  

That sounds like ours!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruiseLibre said:

I just need someone to change my mind before I hit the cancel button....be gentle. 

It would be nice if you added location to your profile, but I had not read very many words at all before realizing you are from UK.  It is unfortunate the travel rules there - or one PCL takes advantage of or has a contrary policy - mean your deposits are non-refundable. 

Have you investigated whether the voyage you are booking (BTW, it would have been helpful to include ship and voyage you booked) is calling on your key port on another date, or has this port been permanently dropped? 

If there is another chance, I have read posts by other UK residents that you can make ONE change for a £100 fee.  Perhaps this option is available to you?

• Like 1

I know people who have simply paid for the cost of the cruise with not a penny more.  No package, no specialty dining, no spa, etc.  And, from talking with them, they had a fantastic cruise. 

• Like 13

Sharing as you may not be aware.

Princess allows you to bring one bottle of wine per person (21 and over) so that’s 2 for your team along with a 12 pack of soda or water per person ( I bring La Croix, because I’m basic 😃

There is a Walgreens/Publix close to the port if you are flying in. 
That helps with spending for sure and for me that means no pxg is necessary.

Join your Roll Call on Cruise Critic often times people will be organizing excursions that are cheaper than the cruise line. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 2

I think you must have been lured by a low base price and as a result, your expectations were set too high.  Once upon a time, cruising was an “ all included” vacation, or almost so.  It is no longer. Advertised prices are base, lowest cost inside cabins per person.  It doesn’t seem like much until you multiply by the number of passengers and add drinks, specialty dining, excursions and more. And upgrade to a balcony or suite. There is still a lot included in the price and many cruisers don’t spend much more than that, if at all.  You can still have a great time.  It’s up to you whether you want to buy alcoholic beverages or take excursions.  But the shows, games, main dining room, pool, etc are available to you.

Small compensation, but when a ship drops a port, you are refunded port fees.

I would recommend canceling as I think your attitude isn’t likely to improve. Eat the non refundable deposit, book something else on land and forget cruising.  It isn’t just Princess.  This could have happened with any line. 

• Like 7

@CruiseLibre I'm sorry you had to learn three big lessons about cruising the hard way:

1. Cruise lines can and do change their itineraries - often without compensation or ability to get a refund,
  2. There's pressure by all the cruise lines (not just Princess) to get you to spend more onboard and/or buy a package
  3. Cruises are only "all inclusive" to the extent that you're willing to settle for the basics

I happen to think Princess is a decent cruise line that has provided good value for what I've given them.  I think they'll do the same for you (or at least give it a good try), but it's up to you whether you want to let them.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  🙏

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 8

I think you should cancel too.

A shame though as I think you and your family will get hooked on cruising if you did give it a try.

As others have said, you don't need to spend much once on board if you don't want to.

We rarely go on ship excursions and only go to the speciality restaurants with OBC (on board credit).

IMHO cruises are exceptional value for money compared with land based holidays.

• Like 5

I have a feeling that you’re convinced that you won’t enjoy yourself.  You already feel cheated and disappointed.  That’s no way to start a vacation.  Perhaps cruising is not for you.  Seasoned cruisers understand the importance of being flexible.  Itineraries change all the time and you have to expect the unexpected when you choose to cruise.

All cruiselines want you to spend money onboard, but you don’t have to.  The choice is yours.  As for your non refundable deposit, unfortunately this is a UK policy which I’m quite sure you were well aware of before you booked.  A little research prior to booking would have been ideal.  

• Like 8

A small note on "Free at Sea" things from NCL - the taxes/fees tend to be prohibitive. Also, we found some things that are cheap on Princess (bottled water) are much more expensive on NCL.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

Cruising can often be pretty cheap if you want it to be but you have to work at making it cheap. It can be very easy to let the dollars mount as you upgrade cabins, buy packages, add excursions etc.

For me, how much you spend depends on the kind of holiday you want to have. Yes, Princess wants you to spend more but they are a business... that is what they do! Our job, as customers if you like, is to only spend what we are happy spending. 

Cruising is not for everyone and if you decide not to cruise then that is a perfectly good decision for you. For some people they only need the bare basics of accommodation, food, water and entertainment to make a cruise a wonderful holiday especially if the stops are places they want to visit. You normally don't need to spend a small fortune on excursions... we normally just visit by foot or local bus/train. However, others want the extras of drinks packages, wifi, and many love the ship excursions or health spa services, private cabanas, speciality dining. But you really don't need all that stuff to have a good time.

It is very much each to their own.

So, look at what would make your cruise a great holiday for you and price it up accordingly and see if that is within your budget. Cruising is a great experience and IMO value for money whatever way you cut it but only if you do it your way and not the cruise line's way! Spend what you want to spend and no more and if that doesn't make cruising really attractive to you then best not to cruise IMO.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

Your mistake is that you failed to calculate the actual cost of the cruise. I always add in the cost of the Plus package, because you can't cruise without it unless you are a teetotaler and hate wifi. Do note that aside from the Plus package, I spend almost nothing on the ship. I rarely take a ship excursion, as I prefer to do things on my own. I eat most of my meals in the main dining room. I never buy anything from the gift shops. I don't buy photos. With that said, there is no way for you to avoid adding some expense to this trip. As for the cost to get to the ship, that shouldn't be a surprise to you.

Fourteen days is a really long cruise. I know it is a bitter pill, but you might be better off just losing the 600 pounds and booking a much cheaper one-week cruise. Or, just pay up and have a good time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Princess have moved the goal posts recently because not enough people were buying Plus or Premier by adding charges for things previously included.

some casual dining now charged

£15 to use oceannow 

room service delivery charges

no grandfathering for those that booked before the changes

We would not take the package at £50/£65  but do when it is on offer at 50% off.

it is possible to cruise base fare only and still have  good time and not give Princess a penny more..

They will want ~£13pppd service that is optional so you can take it off.
Drinks enough non alcohol available without a package and a bit of PAYG if a light drinker.
( we can stick to tea in cabin & buffet & dinner with the odd extra drink)
you can take some beverages on with your depending on port this won't get checked.

Plenty of included food so all the paid options are optional.

(we like to do Speciality so budget for it)

plenty of people do it on the cheap, don't drink and stick to the included offers you won't feel out of place and not fitting in.

What surprises me is you seem to feel some of this is a surprise and a money grab.

Basic research  uncovers the costs are  base fare, optional service charge(£13) and the two optional packages(£50,£65) that include the £13 service. 

Pretty similar price structure on all lines even NCL that does not include service in its free at sea package.
NCL for a 14n would be (£299+£15.5*14)£516 against Princess £700  they do include a different mix of features.

15 minutes ago, bronzey214 said:

A small note on "Free at Sea" things from NCL - the taxes/fees tend to be prohibitive. Also, we found some things that are cheap on Princess (bottled water) are much more expensive on NCL.

IN the UK Free at sea does not have any taxes/fees added it is a fixed price 14n is £299pp sometimes they offer at 50%..

@CruiseLibre As others have mentioned, you should cancel your cruise and move on. Above all, traveling is for having fun and making memories for yourself and love ones you share the time with. Princess — nor any other cruise line out there — is going to have a business model where they aren’t upselling and trying to maximize revenue. 

The complaint you and many others have with cruising is the community. Community is what makes cruising unique and fun for so many people. Everyone has shared destinations. The experience feels common for the most part. For the rest of the parts, there is separation. From inside cabins all the way to suites, there is a difference of experience. The same goes for packages like Plus and Premier or being a first time passenger with no status versus the seasoned Elite member. 

Many, many people go in cruises every year and don’t buy anything more than the basic travel and they have a wonderful time. They aren’t worried about what other people on the ship get that they don’t get. 

if you are one of those people, go on the ship and enjoy it. If you are NOT one of those people — spend more or DO NOT GO. Your current view of your vacation will bring you only misery. All of the food will taste bad to you. All of the service will be too slow. The shows won’t be entertaining. The beds will be too hard. Your current attitude will NEVER let you enjoy this cruise because you will always believe someone is out to steal your money and everyone on the ship will have more than you. 

Find a vacation where you have more control of what you spend on everything. Where you can skip the things you don’t care about and only pay for what you want. Good people work for every one of the cruise lines. From the top execs down to the hard working stewards. Don’t bring your attitude on board and spoil it for others. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, CruiseLibre said:

The "Just get the Plus package" advice pushes the costs to £7k, not a small figure for any family and especially during a cost of living crisis, and that's before shore excursions or anything else. I just can't wrap my head about how much do you actually need to spend before it actually feels like a care free all-inclusive experience,

we don't get any packages, and we always have a wonderful carefree pretty much AI experience for the entire family. You don't NEED to buy any packages. You don't need wifi or alcohol on a cruise. You may want them, but you don't need them.

They also hold you to ransom with the deposit by the "You want to cancel? sure, we have pocketed your £600"...so long sucker,

that's in the UK. In the US Princess has fully refundable deposits most of the time. Now, other lines like X and RCI do not usually have refundable deposits, unless you pay a lot more for it.

NCL's Free at Sea isn't free at all. First, you have to pay a higher rate in order to tuck it on, and then it costs money on top of that. You are lying to yourself if you think it's free.

I feel once I'm on board I will be forced to pay for x to fall in line with the rest of the crowd

total and utter nonsense. It appears that you have come here to stir  some x up...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 4

With £1k travel costs for 3 that is probably not Alaska(more)  and not Southampton(less)

That leaves 14n med and Caribbean in July(5 months away).

Wondering which port was the "bucket list" on those itineraries. .

As for moving forward there are options in the UK as the package regulations.

You could try to invoke package regulation as a major change but unlikely for 1 port to sea day on a 14n cruise unless that port was a major selling point for the ruise..

You can sell the cruise for reasonable admin fees if you can find someone to buy it. 

1 hour ago, Jadn13 said:

Sharing as you may not be aware.

Princess allows you to bring one bottle of wine per person (21 and over) so that’s 2 for your team along with a 12 pack of soda or water per person ( I bring La Croix, because I’m basic 😃

There is a Walgreens/Publix close to the port if you are flying in. 
That helps with spending for sure and for me that means no pxg is necessary.

Join your Roll Call on Cruise Critic often times people will be organizing excursions that are cheaper than the cruise line. 

You never said you were leaving out of Port Everglades..most likely UK so ignore my references 

1 minute ago, Jadn13 said:

You never said you were leaving out of Port Everglades..most likely UK so ignore my references 

unlikely the UK as they are single 14n  the ones with legs are Enchanted port Everglades and Sun in the med.

a quick look in July and the only one with 3 sea days is Fort Lauderdale (6 July 4 Aug)

• Like 1