Fourth Excel Ship Ordered for a 2027 Delivery

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/carnival-announces-new-pier-extension-for-celebration-key/

Celebration Key isn't even open yet and Carnival announced a "Phase 2" expansion. The article states that it will be capable of handling 4 Excel class ships. That pretty much says Excel 4 will be somewhere on the East Coast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/carnival-announces-new-pier-extension-for-celebration-key/

Celebration Key isn't even open yet and Carnival announced a "Phase 2" expansion. The article states that it will be capable of handling 4 Excel class ships. That pretty much says Excel 4 will be somewhere on the East Coast.

or Gulf Coast.

2 hours ago, stobe1 said:

Not to mention if the Fincantieri order happens, Carnival Cruise Line will probably get one to two of those as well. This should have two LNG-capable ships in all of Miami, Port Canaveral, and Galveston.

13 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Not to mention if the Fincantieri order happens, Carnival Cruise Line will probably get one to two of those as well. This should have two LNG-capable ships in all of Miami, Port Canaveral, and Galveston.

Can you imagine 4 Excel class ships there at the same time at Celebration Key? Each ship can hold 6,400 passengers. If there are 4 Excel class in port at the same time, using my public school math, that is over 25,000 people there. Celebration Key will be 65 acres. 

Edited by stobe1

7 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Can you imagine 4 Excel class ships there at the same time at Celebration Key? Each ship can hold 6,400 passengers. If there are 4 Excel class in port at the same time, using my public school math, that is over 25,000 people there. Celebration Key will be 65 acres. 

How many acres is the public area of one excel class ship? If there's enough to do to spread out the crowds, 65 acres is plenty.

Just now, stobe1 said:

Can you imagine 4 Excel class ships there at the same time at Celebration Key. Each ship can hold 6,400 passengers. If there are 4 Excel class in port at the same time, using my public school math, that is over 25,000 people there. 

I doubt all four of them will be there on the same day, even if two of them are on 3/4 day cruises.

Even if two of them are both doing 3-day cruises departing on the same day, I would expect one of them to go homeport, at sea, Celebration Key, homeport; and the other to go homeport, Celebration Key, at Sea, homeport. The Galveston sailings can't do that

We might get two of them at once if it becomes the first (or last) stop on a 6, 7, or 8, day sailing since it is so close to the US.

What would be curious to see is if P&O, Costa, and AIDA start including this in their Caribbean deployments.

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

How many acres is the public area of one excel class ship? If there's enough to do to spread out the crowds, 65 acres is plenty.

If we take a very simplistic approach, each ship's public decks are 137 ft (beam) x 1130 ft (max length) or 41,810 square feet. An acre is 43,560 square feet. Of course each ship basically has four full public decks (6, 7, 8, Lido), so one ship represents four acres.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tidecat said:

If we take a very simplistic approach, each ship's public decks are 137 ft (beam) x 1130 ft (max length) or 41,810 square feet. An acre is 43,560 square feet. Of course each ship basically has four full public decks (6, 7, 8, Lido), so one ship represents four acres.

So yeah like I said as long as there's enough to do for everyone to spread the crowd around, 65 acres is plenty. HMC could never support that many ships without serious renovations - even if they built a pier, because there's not enough to do there except the beach.

3 minutes ago, tidecat said:

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Oh I agree. You did more back of the cocktail napkin math than I did there. I was just posing a "what if" scenario.

I am personally not a fan of the "bigger is better" concept with modern ships now-a-days is all.  

I have been accused of living in the past, but I do that because rent was cheaper back then. 😆

• Like 2

It's very clear the market wants and is here for the large mega-ships. A majority of cruisers are interested in that, otherwise the mass market lines wouldn't continue to be doing it, and even double-down on it. And the fact RCCL and CCL (others too I'm sure) are seeing record bookings at higher prices for those ships only reinforces that.

Instead of being bitter about it because you don't personally like huge ships, it might be time to stop denying reality and start accepting it. It doesn't mean the smaller ships and other experiences are going away entirely. But you can't deny the facts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I would not see that happening. As a west coast resident, it would be cool but I feel there are just not enough ports.

And im not lobbying for it. Panorama is still the fourth newest ship in the fleet and it’s consistently the cheapest 7-day cruise. But it’s there for a reason…and that reason is it sales… so I assume carnival would love to put an Excel ship there.

Edited by Saint Greg

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

That’s all jubilee has.

True enough - but look at what Jubilee (and Galveston in general) is selling for versus what the cruises are going for in Long Beach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

True enough - but look at what Jubilee (and Galveston in general) is selling for versus what the cruises are going for in Long Beach.

of course… but for some reason carnival feels like that warrants two vista class ships. They like the market. I don’t.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

of course… but for some reason carnival feels like that warrants two vista class ships. They like the market. I don’t.

I still think Carnival dropped the ball by not putting Firenze in Seattle for the Alaska season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tidecat said:

I still think Carnival dropped the ball by not putting Firenze in Seattle for the Alaska season.

I could see that. The way they were priced last year they could’ve used a bigger ship. I assume it has a roof like Venezia which is a bonus in Alaska.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1