Live Review Koningsdam Feb 17-March 23, 2024. Hawaii/Tahiti

12 hours ago, Mary229 said:

On the bed ( swag) this evening along with chocolate which seems to be back as a daily treat. 

Mary is that tote for all guest or just those using Club Orange ? 

The tote does look very nice . We have many of HALs bags

Cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Mary is that tote for all guest or just those using Club Orange ? 

The tote does look very nice . We have many of HALs bags

Cliff

As far as I know it’s for all guests.  We are not in a Neptune this time nor did we buy Club Orange & we got the bag.

• Like 5

First things first. In a matter of conservation, I know someone lookin for the mariner drink tickets. Those with the drink package don’t need them and you know the saying, waste not want not. HMU 😉

Yesterday morning was the cruise critic meet and greet. I’d guess maybe 150 people showed. About half the crowd from the other social media group which did have over 300 people and 4 officers present. I asked our event coordinator if officers would be present and he said they “don’t do that for cruise critic.” Not sure if that means not ever again for CC or just not for our particular CC meet and greet. This all supports my theory that with the popularity of social media sites doubling the number of people in cruise critic roll calls, the way of the future is going to be a combined meet and greet for all groups. 

Our group fit in billboards and we had a very short welcome and then @BabyJane8 (Diane) spoke about the lanyards. @Rhonda and Keith (rhonda) discussed the slot pull. @Homer88(Mary Pat), -and @organian17 spoke about their very popular game and knitting groups happening every sea day from 1-4 in the Hudson room.

Huge shout out to all the people that stepped up to take on/over leadership rolls. It’s never easy and often thankless so if you see any of these ladies please thank them.

PS-A  GReAT BiG ThaNK YoU to everyone who has continued to thank me. It is very much appreciated but please know I did nothing but show up with the name tags. The rest of the gang is doing the heavy lifting. 

We quickly gathered for a group picture. I mentioned that the photo was to honor @crystalspin and @Front Row(Elizabeth and Tom) who lead our roll call the past few years but had to cancel last minute. The vast majority of the group cooperated and below are the results. I hope the pic speaks for itself. 

From there I had a brief Maui whale watch meeting. For those interested in walking to the bus or finding a ride share, we will meet at the exact same spot (billboards) @8:30 on the morning of Maui. At that point we will know more about the weather for those that are considering walking. The ride-share folks can all pair up at that time also.

I do want to remind everyone that they booked the whale watch with PAC Whale (not HaL). This is one of the companies I volunteer with when I’m on island, and as with most non-profits they are quite corporate minded. That means if we miss stopping in Maui due to weather I doubt they will refund. Read your terms and conditions carefully to understand the cancellation policy. Keep an eye on the weather and if you think you are going to cancel do so according to the TC or consider your ticket cost a donation to the whales :). With that, here’s the weather forecast for Ma’alaea and I think we are in for a great day!! 

95759606-E95C-497D-9DF4-35885E921E15.jpeg

8C8E49C4-E57A-4867-B0AE-2C98B0BA4E02.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

To answer the questions- the bags are very nice and quite heavy. They are for everyone. I know this because I’m in the cheap seats (solo oceanview) and received one last night. This is a legendary sailing.

Mine looks just like Mary’s and I am willing to trade it to the highest bidder (and please make your bids in the currency of drink cards)..

Let the bargaining begins :). 

F48AEAD2-0722-4AAF-8744-B5FFE5B37417.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Yesterday I visited the lido during lunch for their first time. To all of you worried about sailing on a large ship solely due to crowding, I’m here to say your fears are largely unwarranted. The Koningsdam lido is even more dense than both the NcL and Carnical ships I sailed a few weeks ago. 

First, The lido hours hours are reduced compared to the competition, forcing more people into the space in a shorter time span.

Second, there are fewer complementary options on Koningsdam. The Celebration offered 11 complimentary lunch venues. NCl offered 9. The Koningsdam offers only 4, and those 4 have reduced hours comparatively. This results in a very crowded lido lunch experience. 

However, room service is still complementary on HaL so that really makes 5 HAl options. Nothing provides a less crowded dining experience than your private cabin. 

I haven’t been taking a lot of photos. If you want more photos feed this beast with requests. Here are a few photos I did take-

Morning coffee at the Dutch cafe’. It’s nice that there are still fresh flowers on the tables. Many parts of HAL remind me of traditions from days gone by. I think that’s why this line has so many “older” loyal follower. I say older with much respect. I hope to be sailing for many years to come.

Speaking of flowers. Four of the sunflowers I ordered have opened. Really lovely way to wake up each day.

Finally this is yesterdays dessert!! Looks like healthy skittles in a bowl and I didn’t have to cut it!!

F36D8B73-6763-42AD-8E14-D880FC8C2251.jpeg

9C234DEE-7731-4F90-A0C5-2250B8725A20.jpeg

BF724181-6DDE-4827-A5CC-795A576C7118.jpeg

• Like 12

Game room update:

I will be at the 1pm Hawaii presentation today, so not to the game room until about 2.  
I have cribbage, Sequence, Hand & foot, pinochle and 4 packs of regular cards.

I asked at Guest services today for more decks of cards- they were out of HAL cards. Suggested I buy some in Hilo, hmmm…

We had 16 people on the 18th, 5 yesterday on 19th.

There’s a lot going on in the afternoons, and I don’t plan to be there everyday- we like to play Duplicate bridge too.

if you’d like one of the games, you can coordinate ahead- I’m in 4116. Or bring your own.  Nice room with coffee, tea, water, apples and cookies.

thanks!  Mary Pat

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

First, The lido hours hours are reduced compared to the competition, forcing more people into the space in a shorter time span.

Second, there are fewer complementary options on Koningsdam. The Celebration offered 11 complimentary lunch venues. NCl offered 9. The Koningsdam offers only 4, and those 4 have reduced hours comparatively. This results in a very crowded lido lunch experience. 

Interesting comments about the lunch. I hadn't thought about the number of complementary venues but it makes sense. Although maybe 5 if the MDR is open on sea days?

And many of us have railed for years about HAL's short hours for the buffet (not that I'm a buffet person in particular....especially not for dinner 😉).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yesterday I visited the lido during lunch for their first time. To all of you worried about sailing on a large ship solely due to crowding, I’m here to say your fears are largely unwarranted. The Koningsdam lido is even more dense than both the NcL and Carnical ships I sailed a few weeks ago. 

However, room service is still complementary on HaL so that really makes 5 HAl options. Nothing provides a less crowded dining experience than your private cabin. 

I haven’t been taking a lot of photos. If you want more photos feed this beast with requests. Here are a few photos I did take-

Morning coffee at the Dutch cafe’. It’s nice that there are still fresh flowers on the tables. Many parts of HAL remind me of traditions from days gone by. I think that’s why this line has so many “older” loyal follower. I say older with much respect. I hope to be sailing for many years to come.

Speaking of flowers. Four of the sunflowers I ordered have opened. Really lovely way to wake up each day.

Finally this is yesterday’s dessert!! Looks like healthy skittles in a bowl and I didn’t have to cut

Agree on the crowded Lido. We are also no really buffet people, but do go occasionally. We found it surprisingly crowded on the Volendam last year and the ship wasn’t full! Everyone is trying to eat in the same very short windows of time.

We would look at the menu and it looked like they had a lot of great options, but just so unpleasant to be in there.

Really enjoying your reports so far! Thank you for taking the time.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterdays daily-

opps- internet isnt behaving and doesn’t like the photos right now. I’ll catch up with the dailies later.

PS- thank you to everyone for refraining from including photos in the quotes. It helps the thread speed tremendously for those of us who are posting from the middle of the pacific. Muah!! Ty ty ty

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yesterdays daily-

opps- internet isnt behaving and doesn’t like the photos right now. I’ll catch up with the dailies later.

PS- thank you to everyone for refraining from including photos in the quotes. It helps the thread speed tremendously for those of us who are posting from the middle of the pacific. Muah!! Ty ty ty

Our internet has crapped out too.  We were trying to chat with our little grandkids but guess too far out at sea. 

• Like 1

For those looking for a more sedate lunch we ate at the Dutch Cafe today and easily ordered and found a table. New pea soup recipe is almost as good as mine😊. Friends said the 10th floor deli and pizza is not terribly crowded either.  We have also eaten in the MDR for lunch with ease.  Yes, the lunch menu does change daily.    The lido is a zoo and with no taco bar at the Dive Inn that is not as interesting. The burgers there are not as good as they once were.  

so I have to ask is that coke machine or beer bar ever available?  This is my third sailing on a Pinnacle class ship and they are always unavailable 

• Like 6

Just saw the Koningsdam dinner menu for tonight on Navigator during my daily menu peeping for a future sailing. Filet and lobster in the MDR and the Lido. Fancy and maybe even a little schmancy. Is it because of the Legendary Voyage designation?

• Like 3

On 2/16/2024 at 10:34 AM, NCTribeFan said:

Another K'dam Hawaii thread. 😁 So envious of your itinerary.  I'm on the 1/11/2025 sailing but I was just sitting here thinking I should cancel and rebook as the 24-night beginning 1/4 since I haven't done that Mexican portion.  Would prefer your itinerary but I have to work by early February.

No Gen Xer here.  I'm a Boomer and still working (part-time, seasonally during tax season which is now-4/15 and again from early August-Oct 15).  Got to pay for my travels somehow!

I did a side-to-side on Carnival Magic & Eurodam last month (contracted Covid again (caught it during my Zuiderdam Alaska B2B in June 2022)).  Had several issues on Eurodam that tainted the whole trip a bit.  Not stopping me from sailing HAL again, though.

I'm currently booked in an interior but considering the solo OV.  My main concern is the location.  I do have some issues with motion although Ginger Root has almost cured me.  Still. Not sure I want to be that far forward for 24 nights.  Personally, if I don't have a balcony (which I rarely do), I prefer an interior because I love the dark cabin for sleeping.  Keeping the price down helps since I need to watch my budget if I want to sail 3-4 times a year!

Hadn't decided on where to stay pre-cruise.  I'll definitely have a look at the Best Western.

Looking forward to following along.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

We are on the 1/4/25 -23 day cruise!!  Can hardly wait!

• Like 2

I realize I’m ticking off the HAL loyalists by offering some comparisons to other lines, but remember everything is just my opinion and while i have zero brand loyalty, I’ve never met a cruise ship I did not  love. But the loyalists especially should approve of this post. 

Tonight’s dinner buffet was the best I’ve been to post covid and right up there with the best of all time.

We all got a message in our app Inviting us to a gala silver dinner buffet.

It consisted of lobster tail, filet mignon, AND prime rib! Of course, lots of other things including fresh grilled swordfish which looked yummy. And they were handing out the lobster tail like candy. I saw one guy with two plates full of nothing but lobster tail. It’s was a feast of epic proportions.

Tonight I had nothing but the protein you see (and a ginger chocolate cake that I dug into before grabbing a photo). It was excellent. One of my lobster tails was better than the other as is to be expected when serving the masses, but the filet and prime were both delish and they had strong horseradish to make this Polish Girl very happy. 

They only have half the buffet open at night and if you carry your plate to the other side it is very peaceful (almost empty) and the service is outstanding. My guy only had me sitting in his section so we chatted a bit and let’s just say my coffee never got cold. 

Today went by quickly. Because I hosted both nights meet and greet at the BWYH pre-cruise, plus a solo event, plus being involved in the CC meet and greet I have personally met at least 200 people. Names are a blur but everyone is being so gracious with me forgetting their names. I had six invites for drinks and/or dinner. It’s so wonderful to meet so many great people making sure I never feel lonely.

While i would love to accept all the invitations, I have hit a wall and am choosing to spend the evening curled up in my Pjs, with a full tummy and Barbie. Not Barbie as in a blow up doll, Barbie as in the movie. I’m not at all a movie girl (hardly watch them) which means that the TV is totally loaded with tons of movies I haven’t yet seen.

Tomorrow I have a thermal pool pass booked for the day. Go Me. 

D356CAD3-A743-480A-8D4D-DDFD6C4FC622.jpeg

94191472-D7EB-49E9-B419-7718D1AF169E.jpeg

2595B408-2957-4271-BA8F-53B8CBBBAE6B.jpeg

BAA3618E-A089-4AFE-8756-7F523783982D.jpeg

5349D56F-36D8-4445-B6C3-58DE94AAC623.jpeg

2C054B73-2DDE-4D21-931B-D739EAE5DF9E.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I really am quite heartened by HALs upgraded offerings both in the entertainment and dining!  I hope at least some of the upgrades will be offered on the shorter "non-Grande/Legendary/World" cruises going forward. 

Thanks for the excellent reporting!

~Nancy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1