Wine bottle opener?

Cruzn Fool

Quick question that should be simple, but I haven't seen the answer anywhere:

I know we are allowed to bring a bottle of wine onboard with us but I haven't seen anywhere if we are allowed to bring a wine bottle opener?  We are bringing our two bottles for in room consumption, not for the dining room where we would pay a corkage fee and have them opened.  Do we need to get the stateroom attendant to provide us one?  Or, if we are allowed to bring one onboard, do we bring it through security at the terminal (I know for an airport that would be a no-no) or pack it in our checked bags?  We are driving to the port so anything airport security related is not an issue.

Let me know your past experiences with this.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Cruzn Fool said:

I know we are allowed to bring a bottle of wine onboard with us but I haven't seen anywhere if we are allowed to bring a wine bottle opener?  We are bringing our two bottles for in room consumption, not for the dining room where we would pay a corkage fee and have them opened.  Do we need to get the stateroom attendant to provide us one?  Or, if we are allowed to bring one onboard, do we bring it through security at the terminal (I know for an airport that would be a no-no) or pack it in our checked bags?  We are driving to the port so anything airport security related is not an issue.

Thank you.

Sorry, I do not have first-hand experience with this, but I would *think* that if you can get one through airport screening then you should be able to do so with cruise port screening as well.  They seem to have very similar (some say a bit mor lax) screening procedures.  Barring that, I have read here on CC that your room steward will bring you one...or open it for you.

You can bring one.

It’s also possible to ask but that took a day to actually receive the last time I asked and it needed to be returned ASAP

Edited by Jadn13

You can put the wine opener in your checked bags. More and more great wineries are going to screw tops, so that is what we bring on board with us. We are bringing on Talbot Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay in March with us as long as we do not open it before !

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Cruzn Fool said:

Thank you.

Would not leave home without

it!  Lol

I have one in my carryon and one in my checked bag!  

TSA, from the US, allows in carry on, if it does not have a blade.  Or, just

put it in your checked bag.  NP

If you’re originated outside the US, check their regulations.

We’ve never had an issue with

one in the checked bags anywhere.

Thank you everyone.  I like the bathroom bag option, then I don't have to deal with the security check point and the carry-on bag.  You just never know who you get and how they may interpret the rules.  Unfortunately, these things sometimes vary from person to person.  Maybe screw tops for the next time but I already have the bottles ready for this trip.

• Like 1

Supposedly, if you have a simple type of corkscrew with a relatively short helix screw, you should be good thru TSA.  But each agent can do their own thing and a long time back I had a supposedly good one taken.  At the time, they were selling corkscrews at Vines for a reasonable price.  Last time I inquired there, nope, not selling those anymore.  I found one ashore.

You are unlikely to get past TSA with the large corkscrew type with the side-arms and a long screw piece.  You probably can expect issues with the "waiter" style as well (short knife blade - even though under TSA limit - with turn screw).

There is zero issue if pack one in checked bags which I normally do.  I take a waiter style corkscrew in checked bag.  If we are travelling with checked bags, I'd just buy one at Total Wine in FLL or some other port location. 

I will take both corked bottles and screw tops.  I tend to open the bottles in the cabin.  

I have asked to borrow a corkscrew but it seems to be RS now and they won't leave it with you for the voyage.  Once, many moons ago, our steward had one to lend us, but I prefer to look after myself now as it can be unpredictable to get one for keeps on the ship.

• Like 1

Every suitcase we own has a corkscrew that just "lives" in it.  There is no downside to being overprepared.  😁   When we cruise, I bring a stash of wine in a neat little wheeled tote that Mrs. XBGuy found on Amazon.  It is not sturdy enough to check on an airline, but it is great for carrying (OK, dragging) on the ship when boarding.  It fits comfortably through the security scanner, and you know that I have a corkscrew stashed in it.  The other cool thing about it is that on disembarkation day, since all the wine has been consumed, we can fit all the stuff that did not get packed away and taken the previous evening and drag it off.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Every suitcase we own has a corkscrew that just "lives" in it.  There is no downside to being overprepared.  😁   When we cruise, I bring a stash of wine in a neat little wheeled tote that Mrs. XBGuy found on Amazon.  It is not sturdy enough to check on an airline, but it is great for carrying (OK, dragging) on the ship when boarding.  It fits comfortably through the security scanner, and you know that I have a corkscrew stashed in it.  The other cool thing about it is that on disembarkation day, since all the wine has been consumed, we can fit all the stuff that did not get packed away and taken the previous evening and drag it off.

We do the same when boarding in San Pedro!

• Like 1

My essential survial kit on Princess Cruises:

20240215_215548.thumb.jpg.5762d8653a553529107222004e5854ec.jpg

The corkscrewer is available on many ships in the Princess Shops.

And the wine bottle cap was a nice present from Juan from Peru, from the Vines Bar on Sapphire Princess.

Never cruise without! ☝️

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

My essential survial kit on Princess Cruises:

20240215_215548.thumb.jpg.5762d8653a553529107222004e5854ec.jpg

The corkscrewer is available on many ships in the Princess Shops.

And the wine bottle cap was a nice present from Juan from Peru, from the Vines Bar on Sapphire Princess.

Never cruise without! ☝️

Very nice, I may need to look at the gift shop.  Thanks for the reminder on the bottle topper too.  I just added one to my kit.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:35 AM, Cruzn Fool said:

I know we are allowed to bring a bottle of wine onboard with us but I haven't seen anywhere if we are allowed to bring a wine bottle opener?  We are bringing our two bottles for in room consumption, not for the dining room where we would pay a corkage fee and have them opened.  Do we need to get the stateroom attendant to provide us one?  Or, if we are allowed to bring one onboard, do we bring it through security at the terminal (I know for an airport that would be a no-no) or pack it in our checked bags? 

On 2/15/2024 at 11:48 AM, Steelers36 said:

Supposedly, if you have a simple type of corkscrew with a relatively short helix screw, you should be good thru TSA.  But each agent can do their own thing and a long time back I had a supposedly good one taken.

I have kept a simple pocket corkscrew in the carry-on bag I take through airport security and on cruises for years.  Never had an issue with either.

TSA policy explicitly allows corkscrews with no blade, so if an agent tried to confiscate it I'd have appealed to a supervisor with the TSA website pulled up.  As for carry-on luggage for a cruise, one of my corkscrews came from room service or a steward on Carnival and has the Carnival logo.  No reason for port security to confiscate something you can readily get from the cruiseline once aboard (but then again port security often seems to be lacking in common sense).6048084CS.jpeg.0950fac08685bfa2194862387c617f9c.jpegScreenshot_20240216_145425_Chrome.thumb.jpg.68e21b0ed2c8457e3dfdbe4f8288be4c.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I have kept a simple pocket corkscrew in the carry-on bag I take through airport security and on cruises for years.  Never had an issue with either.

TSA policy explicitly allows corkscrews with no blade, so if an agent tried to confiscate it I'd have appealed to a supervisor with the TSA website pulled up.  As for carry-on luggage for a cruise, one of my corkscrews came from room service or a steward on Carnival and has the Carnival logo.  No reason for port security to confiscate something you can readily get from the cruiseline once aboard (but then again port security often seems to be lacking in common sense).6048084CS.jpeg.0950fac08685bfa2194862387c617f9c.jpegScreenshot_20240216_145425_Chrome.thumb.jpg.68e21b0ed2c8457e3dfdbe4f8288be4c.jpg

I know, but lost a similar one some years back.  I didn't want to argue for the value as I might have ended up with a cavity search or something.  LOL.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

No need for a pump/stopper with us, once opened it is all happily consumed!  🤪

I hear that.  I have posted before about taking unfinished bottle back to cabin after dinner instead of leaving with the waiter.  Typically I get responses back like "What is this unfinished bottle thing you are writing about?".  🤪.  Especially from @c-boy and other vinophiles on this forum.  Sorry for not mentioning the entire wine gang, but tip of the goblet to you all.  😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

No need for a pump/stopper with us, once opened it is all happily consumed!  🤪

I’m solo… takes a little more time. But champagne… 🥂🍾 it’s a going… going… gone!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I hear that.  I have posted before about taking unfinished bottle back to cabin after dinner instead of leaving with the waiter.  Typically I get responses back like "What is this unfinished bottle thing you are writing about?".  🤪.  Especially from @c-boy and other vinophiles on this forum.  Sorry for not mentioning the entire wine gang, but tip of the goblet to you all.  😁

This was only for in-room use. 😶‍🌫️