Champagne

vistaman

I was informed by reliable sources  Explora will change the complimentary Champagne Moët by Mercier.   Mercier is also owned by Louis Vuiton Moët Hennessy.

I am not going to preted Mercier is a bad Champagne , only it is cheaper as Moët.

Also  the welcome bottle would be Mercier for all degrees exception made  for residences  - those would continue to receive Dom P;  so bye Veuve C and Moët with a year for the penthouses it seems. 

So less as a year in operation  the economising already will start .

I am the first to admit that prices for Champagne went up rather seriously.  On the other hand ,  maybe there is also "overconsumption"  as the complimentary wines are not ok  ( several other pax did confirm )   and the special wines and Champagnes are onerous. So guests drink Moët instead of wine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like LVMH is looking to expand the market for Mercier outside of France. We are not huge champagne drinkers, but did enjoy the M&C on our first two ‘journeys.’ We will be fine with trying Mercier. Personally, I’ve never cared for VC, but others have raved. We only sail OT’s, so no Dom P for us. 

Edited by kelleherdl

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

I was informed by reliable sources  Explora will change the complimentary Champagne Moët by Mercier. 

Still better than the Germain I will get on Oceania in March. I do see your point & it will be disappointing if the Moët is replaced. Hope this is not an indication of more cost cuts to come. 

27 minutes ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Still better than the Germain I will get on Oceania in March. I do see your point & it will be disappointing if the Moët is replaced. Hope this is not an indication of more cost cuts to come. 

You're in luck.  They had so many complain about Germain, the now serve Monopole

Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Brut  Front Bottle Shot

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Looks like LVMH is looking to expand the market for Mercier outside of France. We are not huge champagne drinkers, but did enjoy the M&C on our first two ‘journeys.’ We will be fine with trying Mercier. Personally, I’ve never cared for VC, but others have raved. We only sail OT’s, so no Dom P for us. 

I am a Champagne lover and neither  regular Moët nor VC are my favourites ...

LVMH  also is the owner of another brand Canard Duchène 

So imho  the best complimentary Champagne is on SS with Pommery , howver Champagne is very personal...I like Mumm as "basic " bubbles 

• Like 2

Rotten luck the change in champagne- the paying passengers probably lost out due to the conspicuous over consumption by the tick tock brigade and other free loaders 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Rotten luck the change in champagne- the paying passengers probably lost out due to the conspicuous over consumption by the tick tock brigade and other free loaders 

So now we know what kind of influence 'influencers' have: negative!

• Haha 5

The new Champagne is actually really nice. No complains at all from me. Having a really nice time onboard now. Staff are fabulous and so attentive. 

• Like 5

My friend onboard has queried the change of champagne with the F&B manager and was given the explanation that  Moet couldn't guarantee the volume that Explora requested. This is due to reduced champagne production

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Anyone who is on the ship have the chance to post the current included wine list it would be awesome. We were on Explora 1 in November-December and are back end of April. On our first cruise we did some gymnastic and bought several bottles to compensate the included wine list. With the changes with the Champagne I'm anxious to see what other changes they have made to the wine list ... Thanks,

1 hour ago, Limonadier said:

If Anyone who is on the ship have the chance to post the current included wine list it would be awesome. We were on Explora 1 in November-December and are back end of April. On our first cruise we did some gymnastic and bought several bottles to compensate the included wine list. With the changes with the Champagne I'm anxious to see what other changes they have made to the wine list ... Thanks,

I'm sorry we didn't meet in November!  Just got off Friday and still fabulous.

There's presently a live thread that has them posted.

15 hours ago, Limonadier said:

See current live thread.....

I’m not sure the change of concern is worth the worry. It’s a well accepted fact among champagne houses that Moët relies on its huge marketing budget rather than its quality to maintain its reputation. There are better, cheaper champagnes. I’ve never tried Mercier, but I’d be happy to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaroleP58 said:

I’m not sure the change of concern is worth the worry. It’s a well accepted fact among champagne houses that Moët relies on its huge marketing budget rather than its quality to maintain its reputation. There are better, cheaper champagnes. I’ve never tried Mercier, but I’d be happy to.

I enjoy Moet but my favorite is Veuve Clicquot, which is more expensive than Moet. Which champagnes do you find better and cheaper than Moet?

Just now, travelberlin said:

I enjoy Moet but my favorite is Veuve Clicquot, which is more expensive than Moet. Which champagnes do you find better and cheaper than Moet?

I’m with you on the Veuve, Ivi. I was disappointed to see it downgraded to Möet, then downgraded, again, to Mercier.  Can’t understand how the same company can produce enough of that to satisfy Explora requirements, but can’t meet the demand for M&C.

Not familiar with Mercier, but I’ve found Monopoli and Jacquard quite palatable.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I now understand Mercier is the included Champagne onboard for all guest and has also replaced the Veuve Clicquot as welcome bottle in OT. What about the welcome bottle of Champagne in Penthouse ? and Residences ? Any recent DP ? Thanks.