Blow the dough: All ways to spend OBC

sengsational

I'm new to Azamara and considering a voyage.  I see that a lot of people have deals that include a sizable sum of on-board credit.  Presuming there's no pressure to spend refundable OBC that might have come from a travel agent, I'd like to concentrated on the spend it or loose it OBC.  I also saw OBC does not roll-over on B2B cruises.

What I've gathered so far is that there are complications using OBC pre-cruise for excursions, but excursions are one way to spend the OBC.  Another way to spend the OBC is to use it to buy the experience more package.  And I might have read someone used the OBC to get wifi?  Spend it in the on-board shops?  Specialty dining?  End of trip airport transfer?

What I would like to discover is a comprehensive list of all of the ways to spend non-refundable OBC, and if there's any known complications for spending in each category.

Edited by sengsational

- On a recent B2B cruise, my onboard credit DID roll over to the second cruise. 

- There is no pressure to spend refundable credit.

- You can easily use OBC to prebook excursions. When I couldn't make this work on the website, I       called Azamara directly and got it done with no problems.

- I've used OBC for faster wi-fi and for specialty dining when I wasn't in a suite.

- I'm not a spa person, but you can use OBC there.

- I've never bought any of the packages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing to consider if you use a cash rebate credit card...if you have the Refundable OBC sent to your credit card, you'll lose the cash back on the amount. However if you go to guest relations and get it in cash, you keep the rebate amount charged to the card.

• Like 2

I used some extra OBC to buy North Sails polo shirts for the men in my family. They're very high quality and usually sell for around $90. They were $53 in the Onward's shop.

I was on the Azamara Pursuit South Africa Cruise the beginning of January - Our first Azamara cruise.  I used the Azamara OBC to pre-book excursions.  I called them and they took care of it very quickly.  I had a sizeable amount of refundable OBC from our web-based travel agency.  About two months before our cruise, I emailed the travel agent (paper trail) to request a check after the cruise instead of OBC.  They agreed.  With all the complaints about mix-ups with OBC I decided to go that route.

Even though we used a Travel Agent, Azamara were very quick to answer any non-booking/financial questions pre-cruise.  Our excursion reservations were made directly with Azamara.

Our cruise was wonderful.  Great service and food.  All our excursions through Azamara were excellent.  We liked the size of the ship and the wonderful travelers we met from all over the world.

• Like 6

In response to the comment about the quality of the clothing in the shops, we have bought t-shirts, fleece pull-overs and zipper sweatshirts in the ship shop. All high-quality, wash well and we enjoy wearing them.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 3:23 PM, KevintheIrishDJ said:

The shops R very expensive ($50 Tshirts & $90 men's shirts) and the quality is not good. We use it on specialty dining and wait till white night discounts and purchase Taittinger's. 

I, like others on this thread have never had an issue with quality of the shirts. I've bought a few Polo Ralph Lauren's and they've all been excellent and still look good a few years later. They certainly last longer than a bottle of Taittinger! Not sure what make you bought or how many that's made you say that sweeping statement. 

Phil 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I, like others on this thread have never had an issue with quality of the shirts. I've bought a few Polo Ralph Lauren's and they've all been excellent and still look good a few years later. They certainly last longer than a bottle of Taittinger! Not sure what make you bought or how many that's made you say that sweeping statement. 

Phil 

So, $50 for a Tshirt is OK?

2 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

So, $50 for a Tshirt is OK?

I don't know what it looked like or who made it or the quality which is what you spoke of so I can't say.  And it depends on what you like. I'm not into flowery Tommy Bahama shirts. I prefer Polo Ralph Lauren and as I said, I've found the to be very nice and good quality, but not cheap. But then they are in essence free. 

Phil 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I don't know what it looked like or who made it or the quality which is what you spoke of so I can't say.  And it depends on what you like. I'm not into flowery Tommy Bahama shirts. I prefer Polo Ralph Lauren and as I said, I've found the to be very nice and good quality, but not cheap. But then they are in essence free. 

Phil 

It was an Azamara T.

4 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

It was an Azamara T.

But wait!  You're not supposed to buy those – you're supposed to cash in your trivia points to get them for free!

• Haha 10

46 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But wait!  You're not supposed to buy those – you're supposed to cash in your trivia points to get them for free!

Sammie, a female CD would announce: "We will be giving away some really cheap prizes today at trivia!"

18 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Sammie, a female CD would announce: "We will be giving away some really cheap prizes today at trivia!"

"One size fits someone in your family."  "I'll be here all week; try the veal; tip your waiter..."

• Haha 1

I’ve never seen the ones from Trivia sold for $50. They are usually sold (if at all) for $30. They’re also the ones your given if your luggage goes awol. The more expensive branded T-shirts being sold on my current cruise are a superior product. 

My DH still wears one of the cheap ones we got at some point. It’s wearing very well but I’m always circumspect in the washing temperatures and spin speed we use and I don’t have a tumble drier. 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I’ve never seen the ones from Trivia sold for $50. They are usually sold (if at all) for $30. They’re also the ones your given if your luggage goes awol. The more expensive branded T-shirts being sold on my current cruise are a superior product. 

My DH still wears one of the cheap ones we got at some point. It’s wearing very well but I’m always circumspect in the washing temperatures and spin speed we use and I don’t have a tumble drier. 

On the 11/30/23 Onward, they were $50

The Az T shirts that can be won at trivia are really strong and tough.

Our dog loves them.

Cut the sleeves off, roll them in a tube and tie them with a knot in the middle, they make a great toy to tug with the dog.

The one I got in November is lasting really well.

• Haha 9

My husband wears his "trivia" shirts for gym and garden work. I think he has 8. Some have logos from two iterations ago. They're all cotton, and he loves the happy memories associated with them.

• Like 4

I am enjoying my new overpriced Prada sunglasses and my two Azamara lightweight pull overs (which were on sale for 1/2 price) from our last cruise on the Onward.  Not sure how we'll spend $2400 OBC on our Caribbean B2B cruise at the end of the year....but it's a nice problem to have 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

I am enjoying my new overpriced Prada sunglasses and my two Azamara lightweight pull overs (which were on sale for 1/2 price) from our last cruise on the Onward.  Not sure how we'll spend $2400 OBC on our Caribbean B2B cruise at the end of the year....but it's a nice problem to have 🙂

Give yourself a wine education course!