Will Celebrity Ever Send A Ship to San Diego Port

mcrcruiser

We love Celebrity & at one time Celebrity sailed from  San Diego using the Mercury back then . Now that they have increased the fleet size  couldd they assign a ship to do Hawaii round trip . West Coast & Mexico sailings ?  We can no longer fly to the East coast or any other port

What is your opinion 

Edited by mcrcruiser

• mcrcruiser changed the title to Will Celebrity Ever Send A Ship to San Diego Port

Celebrity pulled ships from this area and sent them to the Carribean.  A lot of it depends upon the cartel violence down in Mexico.

Try HAL.  We did a HAL cruise that left from the San Diego port.

San Diego is my favorite California port.

Edited by NMTraveller

We drove to San Pedro ,LA area last March tp dp a B2B soltice cruise to Mexico . The parking at the world cruise center is the worse we encountered in any cruise port . so we will never again go there . SD is our home port & we no longer can fly so we have been sailing on  Holland America but ,it is not like Celebrity  we are at a very high tier with Celebrity ,We are 3 star Mariners with Holland America now . so we would prefer a Celebrity ship even the M class would be just fine 

Long ago we cruised  Mex Riviera from San Diego  on Radiance of the Seas.  We had two wonderful pre cruise days exploring the ZOO, parks etc and also the Hotel Coronado area..Could have used a few more days!..  The cruise was fun..still safe enough..but we would not cruise Mex Riviera now! Safety and lawlessness prevail!

We did the 11 night cruise on Mercury from San Diego in 2007.We have since cruised 14times with Celebrity. To date, it was by far our favorite cruise! We have the Apex booked for Feb.2025 and the Xcel for Jan.2026. Would love to have someplace warm & different to sail during the cold winter months.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

We drove to San Pedro ,LA area last March tp dp a B2B soltice cruise to Mexico . The parking at the world cruise center is the worse we encountered in any cruise port . so we will never again go there . SD is our home port & we no longer can fly so we have been sailing on  Holland America but ,it is not like Celebrity  we are at a very high tier with Celebrity ,We are 3 star Mariners with Holland America now . so we would prefer a Celebrity ship even the M class would be just fine 

LAX is no fun to fly into either...

Mercury was our first,  and all time fav ship..Classy vessel, crew and clientele.

Perfect size, glass brass and wood.. Real T pool with therapy salts and hydro stations.. 

That's when cruise life was really  good!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

LAX is no fun to fly into either...

yup.. we used a limo to  our pre cruise hotel, go out of San Pedro..Our coastal Ca cruise was  great but would skip Mex

Years ago Celebrity did a Wine Cruise from Ensenada to Seattle! We boarded buses at the Marriott near the and were driven to Ensenada. Overnight we sailed up to San Diego and spent day there! Each port we could bring wine back to our cabin!😃 We then visited San Pedro, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Astoria, Oregon, Victoria, BC & Finally Seattle! If Celebrity did this again I would book it!

• Like 1

Celebrity has some L.A. (San Pedro) Pacific Coast northbound cruises on Summit on its way to Alaska sailings in the spring. But they are one way.

Maybe you could travel home by Train?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Infinity used to sail back to Hawai from San Diego. I would do that again - if they would still do that.

Yes thart isthe ship we were on for Hawaii with Celebrity ,a October cruise.  Certainly Celebrity could do a 18 day Hawaii cruise from SD round trip

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hcat said:

Long ago we cruised  Mex Riviera from San Diego  on Radiance of the Seas.  We had two wonderful pre cruise days exploring the ZOO, parks etc and also the Hotel Coronado area..Could have used a few more days!..  The cruise was fun..still safe enough..but we would not cruise Mex Riviera now! Safety and lawlessness prevail!

We did that too, around 2010 or 2011.  It was a very nice cruise.

OP starts a version of this same thread every few months.  The answer is always the same (not likely). 

They were having to give away rooms during the recent seasons in the Mexican Riviera.  Not a good business model when there are other destinations that sell a lot better for them.

I wish Celebrity would do more sailings from the west coast. We enjoyed the Mexican Riviera and flying into Long Beach was a breeze. It is a lot cheaper for us to fly to the west coast rather than to Florida. I don't mind if the OP keeps bringing up the topic. Maybe if enough people speak up and request the west coast it may happen again but with other itineraries. I certainly would go for a Hawaiian round trip cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

OP starts a version of this same thread every few months.  The answer is always the same (not likely). 

They were having to give away rooms during the recent seasons in the Mexican Riviera.  Not a good business model when there are other destinations that sell a lot better for them.

I do not think that Celebrity would need to give away  as you put it for a 18 fay roumd trip Hawaii cruise .I van tell you that Holland America sells out their relaticvely new pinnancle class ship ,Koningsdam  both vfor Hawaii & The 35 day Hawaii.Tahiti cruise from & back to  the San  Diego port . Additionally ,San Diego has a lot of infrastruture that attracks  many millions of travelers   .Another cruise  could be  round trip West Coast as  far as   Astoria or even Seattle . There are a lot od west coast ports that are very attractive to cruisers . Also remember that there is a heavy density population  in neighboring states that people could drive vs flying to the pirt of San Diego 

I make a strong case for either Celebrity or a RCL ship to dock in the port of San Diego . The Disney wonder frequents the port of San Diego & Disney  has far less ships 

The current sailing that Celebrity has for Pacific Coast cruise is $291 pp for a 6 day cruise.  That is around $50 per day.  Obviously not a money maker.

They could do a Hawaii cruise and that would be worthwhile.

Edited by NMTraveller

12 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The current sailing that Celebrity has for Pacific Coast cruise is $291 pp for a 6 day cruise.  That is around $50 per day.  Obviously not a money maker.

They could do a Hawaii cruise and that would be worthwhile.

The Celebrity 6 night Pacific Coast cruises are on ships relocating either from the Med. to Alaska or the reverse.

Like TA's the cruise is a planned trip not a destination so the price is less.

I book one every year from L.A. to Vancouver as it's close to where I live, air tickets are cheap and I Love the ships.

Another possibility is San Diego  round trip to  the panama Canal & back  to SD  .There are many ports between the 2 locations bith in Mexico & Central America & could even do a partial transit of the Canal 

Holland  America not only does 17 & 18 day Hawaii cruises round trip San Diego but ,they are doing both Hawaii & Tahiti  35 day round trip San Diego .There are many possible cruise  routes for a Celebrity ship in San Diego port