No More Breakfast in Observation Lounge

gmbhardy

😳 Memo to BIL and friends sailing this Springs on the Joy with the "remodeled" OL, kindly bring that insulated mug along and be prepared to get your own coffee from the Garden Cafe / buffet one deck above.  Wow, fleet-wide 🙀

That is, as long as eating remains permitted in there. Isn't there a Starbucks station in the OL, that's good for busines & revenue 🫢 

What's the latest with the loungers there & afternoon tea service ? 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were just on the Bliss LA to Miami.
I could actually see this coming. I would say they will also start enforcing bribing food from the Garden cafe up to the lounge.

I think that the passengers are the ones to blame. The ones that leave half filled  plates on the furniture, especially in the front. The place was disgusting after we went thorough the Canal. Food on chairs and couches.

• Like 18

This doesn't bother me at all . People have been such pigs in the OL. Now if they would enforce "no shoes on the loungers and bare, nasty feet on the tables" rules

We have only been on three trips with an OL. It gets worse each trip.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

On Joy right now. Officer confirmed gone, fleet wide.

Have you seen the new thermal spa?

I never knew that had bfast in observation.  Lol

I do enjoy the afternoon snacks. Is that still available?

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrUrsula said:

This doesn't bother me at all . People have been such pigs in the OL. Now if they would enforce "no shoes on the loungers and bare, nasty feet on the tables" rules

People definitely can be slobs!

I also don’t understand those in the front loungers in OL snoring away. If you aren’t awake, how are you observing? 🤣

I get it if someone accidentally dozed but passing out snoring for an hour…. Weird

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

Oh, don't start that again! I mean I suppose I understand the tables, but I'll happily throw my un-socked feet on the lounger. It's made for laying, after all! I suppose I'm a pig...I've got the belly of a cow, though! 

5 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

People definitely can be slobs!

I also don’t understand those in the front loungers in OL snoring away. If you aren’t awake, how are you observing? 🤣

I get it if someone accidentally dozed but passing out snoring for an hour…. Weird

Let vacationers vacation in peace! It's a hard job being judged left, right, and center...how they can fall asleep in there, I don't know. I'm envious of those that can snore away in the Observation Lounge and in the Thermal Suite!!! I can barely fall asleep in a bed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

I guess everybody can play that game. I don't use the pool or slides so if they were to be removed, it wouldn't bother me. Just saying!

I like the afternoon snacks and enjoy reading stretched out on a sofa.

Oh well, the penny pinchers in Miami are working overtime on the next cutback.👎:classic_sad:

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh, don't start that again! I mean I suppose I understand the tables, but I'll happily throw my un-socked feet on the lounger. It's made for laying, after all! I suppose I'm a pig...I've got the belly of a cow, though! 

Let vacationers vacation in peace! It's a hard job being judged left, right, and center...how they can fall asleep in there, I don't know. I'm envious of those that can snore away in the Observation Lounge and in the Thermal Suite!!! I can barely fall asleep in a bed.

I promise I am laid back. I don’t care about feet so much but people leaving food messes all over the ship isn’t very nice to others and staff.

I don’t begrudge anyone a doze but when there are no seats… honestly, I don’t care that much. Was just chiming in, please forget I said anything. 😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

I think that the passengers are the ones to blame. The ones that leave half filled  plates on the furniture, especially in the front. The place was disgusting after we went thorough the Canal. Food on chairs and couches.

My first thought when I read this news

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, pamelanj said:

I promise I am laid back. I don’t care about feet so much but people leaving food messes all over the ship isn’t very nice to others and staff.

I don’t begrudge anyone a doze but when there are no seats… honestly, I don’t care that much. Was just chiming in, please forget I said anything. 😊

It's ok! I absolutely see the annoyance of folks snoozing away and you trying to find a seat, especially on an epically beautiful voyage like the Norwegian Fjords or Alaska. I get it. I'm like you and don't fret a lot. I'd find somewhere else. But, trust me, I get it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

So hire extra staff to pick up plates and such.  But they didn't do that, they chose to cut the food out entirely.  Why?  Cost savings.  Don't kid yourself, this is just one more example of NCL nickel and diming (this one being on the cost side of the ledger).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

Isn't the removal of plates, glasses, etc. in the OL a staffing issue? I must be missing something here.

I wouldn't know where to bring my used plate.

Yes but the staff was there to remove drinking glasses, not half eaten plates, some from the Garden Cafe which should not hve been there.

Yes, the staff is supposed to control but can you imaging the sh__ storm if a passenger is told to take the food back to the cafe??/ LOL

Edited by pete_coach

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

So hire extra staff to pick up plates and such.  But they didn't do that, they chose to cut the food out entirely.  Why?  Cost savings.  Don't kid yourself, this is just one more example of NCL nickel and diming (this one being on the cost side of the ledger).

Unfair.

They have staff to do all the service required. When people abuse things, the staff cannot keep up.

It is the passenger that brought this on. No nickle and diming at all, this is a result of  poor behaviour.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

NCL really is pushing more and more people towards other lines by messing with the quality, quantity, and availability of one of the elements needed for human survival…FOOD. (Okay, I’m ready for the 🙄 and 🤣.)

And, while we all know no one will starve on a cruise, food offers comfort and enjoyment to most of us.  Cruises have historically been a place where we can indulge beyond our norms with food items we don’t typically eat at home.

IMO, NCL has gone overboard.  First it was quality, then portion size, then reduced operating hours in buffet, then the elimination of crowd favorites (hash browns, crepes, cookies)…now reducing the number of venues offering food & beverage.  

My prediction of next to go:  bacon (less often in buffet, fewer pieces put out at a time), French fries (they will be frozen baked not fried), specialty dinner bread will be now basic dinner rolls, butter will be margarine, half and half will be coffeemate, OJ will be cut with water, ice cream will carry a charge.  

There is a reason I still have unused CF certificates.  We have two NCL cruises booked, but more snd more we are checking out competitive cruise lines, with 2 already booked on MSC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

Isn't the removal of plates, glasses, etc. in the OL a staffing issue? I must be missing something here.

I wouldn't know where to bring my used plate.

I think you might be onto something. Leaving a plate nicely and assuming OL staff will pick it up isn’t crazy. People spilling stuff all over is different.

The issue is probably two part. Less staff to clear plates and then those who don’t even attempt to be neat.

• Like 3