No More Breakfast in Observation Lounge

gmbhardy

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

No cookies

No Antarctica 

Now this

🙈

I enjoy cookies too but it’s so funny to keep reading about complaints of no cookies😆. I wonder if the Haven have cookies⁉️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

NCL really is pushing more and more people towards other lines by messing with the quality, quantity, and availability of one of the elements needed for human survival…FOOD. (Okay, I’m ready for the 🙄 and 🤣.)

And, while we all know no one will starve on a cruise, food offers comfort and enjoyment to most of us.  Cruises have historically been a place where we can indulge beyond our norms with food items we don’t typically eat at home.

IMO, NCL has gone overboard.  First it was quality, then portion size, then reduced operating hours in buffet, then the elimination of crowd favorites (hash browns, crepes, cookies)…now reducing the number of venues offering food & beverage.  

My prediction of next to go:  bacon (less often in buffet, fewer pieces put out at a time), French fries (they will be frozen baked not fried), specialty dinner bread will be now basic dinner rolls, butter will be margarine, half and half will be coffeemate, OJ will be cut with water, ice cream will carry a charge.  

There is a reason I still have unused CF certificates.  We have two NCL cruises booked, but more snd more we are checking out competitive cruise lines, with 2 already booked on MSC.

Elimination of hash browns, cookies‼️‼️🤣

16 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

Elimination of hash browns, cookies‼️‼️🤣

Congrats…you win for the FIRST and ONLY 🤣.  I expected more.  But…not from the simplicity of Hash Browns and Cookies.

On their own…not a big deal.  I guess you failed to see how far down the “change chain” this element resided.  It is a culmination of change that creates the outrage around Hash Browns and Cookies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

71vJuaikI6S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ikea has a global solution in their self-service cafeteria ... not sure if others go there at all, but some cruisers would get the idea since everyone is feeling for the over-worked crew, butlers, and cleaning teams onboard these days.  Put up some visual pictorial signage on disposal.  Plus, maybe station 1 or 2 crew on roaming patrol to collect the ones discarded by the indifferent pax and to wipe down/clean the contact surfaces ... because, norovirus hasn't gone away, NCL has been lucky thus far to escape any major outbreak, yet.   

There are solutions for problems out there ... some takes imagination and thinking around the square boxes.  A hourly rental charge in reserving and/or using those loungers ... that'll help cover the costs of sanitizing in between use, wait ... aren't they or not being cleaned (oops, nevermind)  Cheerleaders - ignored list, that I use as some simply cannot accept the concept of "agree to disagree" - will be on this again (and, we own NCLH stocks ... for the record, going to be an interesting quarterly and forecast next week from Harry & company) 

At a world class regional resort, there is a small placard reminding guests to call housekeeping & they will come by cheerfully, 24/7 to have someone promptly pickup soiled plates, utensils, cups, etc. either outside the door (to not be disturbed) or knock & come in for the takeaways, including the service cart(s).   Sometimes it's a matter of clearly communicating expectations and what/how to ... in a timely manner.  

Sigh, will cruise ... NCL (beyond final payment) and other lines ahead by going with the flow, but I hope some of you catch the humor contained herein.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

How about the spot upfront with the trash receptacles and a bit of counter area surrounding them.

You do it at McDonalds (etc.). No need to leave all of the clutter around a lounging area.

You mean that spot where I've never seen a dirty plate, like, ever? The OL is not McDonalds, the last time I was there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Congrats…you win for the FIRST and ONLY 🤣.  I expected more.  But…not from the simplicity of Hash Browns and Cookies.

On their own…not a big deal.  I guess you failed to see how far down the “change chain” this element resided.  It is a culmination of change that creates the outrage around Hash Browns and Cookies.

I’m aware many are disturbed by the many changes taking place but that’s business throughout the cruise lines. Everyone have the option to consider different cruise lines but I expect they will find changes on other cruise lines as well.  Nothing stays the same forever.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

No doubt. Take us back to the days when they gave us drunks shotguns to shoot clay pigeons off the back of the ship.

Booze and guns! Now we're talking! 

Edited by yakcruiser
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I’m aware many are disturbed by the many changes taking place but that’s business throughout the cruise lines. Everyone have the option to consider different cruise lines but I expect they will find changes on other cruise lines as well.  Nothing stays the same forever.

Duh.  Which if you had read my entire l post, that WAS my point.  Pick and choose which cruise lines seemingly offer the best value/cost/experience for you.  Then check it out.

Seems like you think NCL is a good choice for you.  Which is perfectly ok.  😊

Edited by laudergayle

34 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

This or that.  Not at the same time. Just sayin’.

Haha.  Those "shots" weren't free back then in the 90's either, they're inexpensive on our CTN ... before CC was born.  😆 ... Times they are A-Changin'  

10 hours ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

You mean that spot where I've never seen a dirty plate, like, ever? The OL is not McDonalds, the last time I was there.

So, YOU'VE never seen one - I have.

That's not counted among the others I've seen.

Big piles? No.

But it is an appropriate spot to dump your stuff - not in anyone's way; not scattered about.

The McD reference (perhaps a bad analogy) simply referred to cleaning up after yourself.

15 hours ago, PATRLR said:

So hire extra staff to pick up plates and such.  But they didn't do that, they chose to cut the food out entirely.  Why?  Cost savings.  Don't kid yourself, this is just one more example of NCL nickel and diming (this one being on the cost side of the ledger).

Look, I'm all for NCL making a profit.  They built up a LOT of debt over the course of the pandemic.  I also agree with others:  This is why we can't have nice things 🙂  When I've eaten in OL before, if a crew member didn't come offer to take my plate, I dropped it in an appropriate area but when people leave crap all around, it gets disgusting.  OL is not really designed as a dining area to be bussed.  That's what the Garden Cafe is for.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I don't recall there being a Starbucks or Starbucks station in an OL.  Which ship was that?

On the Norwegian  Joy there is a Starbucks in the 15 th floor Observation Lounge. I was on her twice last year and got my coffee there every morning. Part of the reason I had my cabin on the 15 th floor, was  so that I could be close to morning coffee!

Next to it was a small station with morning pastries, and yogurt, No hot food.

Posters are correct. There was no place to take used cups and plates.

That being said, I hope this  coffee station has not been removed from this floor, with the renovation, because my upcoming cruise in June will again have a cabin on the 15 th floor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

I wouldn't know where to bring my used plate.

Take them back to the restaurant are on the OL.  That’s what we did.  Just seems polite and reasonable.  Guess I’m weird but when I leave a table in a lounge, I our ,u empty glass on the bar.

we were on the 2/2 sailing of the Prima and they were still serving breakfast and afternoon snacks.  Oh well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

On the Norwegian  Joy there is a Starbucks in the 15 th floor Observation Lounge. I was on her twice last year and got my coffee there every morning. Part of the reason I had my cabin on the 15 th floor, was  so that I could be close to morning coffee!

Next to it was a small station with morning pastries, and yogurt, No hot food.

Posters are correct. There was no place to take used cups and plates.

That being said, I hope this  coffee station has not been removed from this floor, with the renovation, because my upcoming cruise in June will again have a cabin on the 15 th floor.

I've sailed Joy twice in the past 2 years, and while I can't comment about the removal of breakfast food, I find it hard to believe the coffee stations would be removed and I'm sure the Starbucks isn't going anywhere.

There was never real breakfast there anyway. Pastries, cereal, etc. Nothing hot.

I always preferred going out to Spice in the early AM after the gym, usually before 7am. There was coffee, juice and pastries set up out there and it was a quiet outdoor place.

They also had coffee stations set up on each side of the Waterfront, also starting at around 6am.

Hopefully they don't remove these spots for coffee, as I'll be looking for them on Getaway in a couple of months.

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You know, I never thought I'd see the day where people wanted even more food on a cruise ship.  Yet, here we are.

Now excuse me, I need to go load up on bacon from the Garden Cafe!

I'm not gonna lie, my wife has brought me a big plate of bacon from the buffet to my lounger overlooking the pool deck on many occasions. Combine that with a few Bloody Mary's and I'm a happy guy! In the afternoon a plate might be filled with fries!!

It's almost a cruise tradition! Lol!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

I'm not gonna lie, my wife has brought me a big plate of bacon from the buffet to my lounger overlooking the pool deck on many occasions. Combine that with a few Bloody Mary's and I'm a happy guy! In the afternoon a plate might be filled with fries!!

It's almost a cruise tradition! Lol!!

I bet bacon IN a Bloody Mary would be fantastic!

• Like 2

Just now, RedwingHockeyFan said:

I bet bacon IN a Bloody Mary would be fantastic!

I can't remember the name, but they made Bloody Mary's with bacon at the Irish Pub on one of the RCCL cruises I took some years ago.

I had read about it on here and made it my first stop when embarking.

It became one of my favorite bars. The Guinness on tap didn't hurt either! Lol!!

17 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I've sailed Joy twice in the past 2 years, and while I can't comment about the removal of breakfast food, I find it hard to believe the coffee stations would be removed and I'm sure the Starbucks isn't going anywhere.

There was never real breakfast there anyway. Pastries, cereal, etc. Nothing hot.

I always preferred going out to Spice in the early AM after the gym, usually before 7am. There was coffee, juice and pastries set up out there and it was a quiet outdoor place.

They also had coffee stations set up on each side of the Waterfront, also starting at around 6am.

Hopefully they don't remove these spots for coffee, as I'll be looking for them on Getaway in a couple of months.

I did not realize that Spice had coffee so early in the morning. That sounds really nice and I am going to try it. Also did not know about the coffee on the waterfront. Thank you for the information. Makes me like the Joy even more!