No More Breakfast in Observation Lounge

gmbhardy

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

But it is an appropriate spot to dump your stuff - not in anyone's way; not scattered about.

assuming that there "is an appropriate spot to dump your stuff" (and i recommend the club balcony cabins for this, as they have a larger bathroom), what do you suppose happens to your stuff - and the plate it is on - once dumped?

does it move to the kitchen through astral projection?

probably not. i imagine a staff member comes along and picks it up... so, is it inconceivable that the same people who pick up the plates from this imaginary "stuff dump place" might also pick up plates that are scattered about the OL?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

I did not realize that Spice had coffee so early in the morning. That sounds really nice and I am going to try it. Also did not know about the coffee on the waterfront. Thank you for the information. Makes me like the Joy even more!

On the Waterfront the coffee stations were at the 2 outdoor bars, Cavern Club and Sugarcane Mojito.

If I remember correctly, only Spice had juice too.

The gym is right next to Spice and I'd go out there after working out and have some juice and a cup of coffee. There'd be a couple of smokers out there already, but it was practically empty with plenty of space to avoid the unpleasant smell! Very peaceful.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, UKstages said:

assuming that there "is an appropriate spot to dump your stuff" (and i recommend the club balcony cabins for this, as they have a larger bathroom), what do you suppose happens to your stuff - and the plate it is on - once dumped?

does it move to the kitchen through astral projection?

probably not. i imagine a staff member comes along and picks it up... so, is it inconceivable that the same people who pick up the plates from this imaginary "stuff dump place" might also pick up plates that are scattered about the OL?  

I cant fathom why you're picking on me here for this comment.

I merely was suggesting a "civilized" approach to reducing the clutter in the OL.

While not having extensively eaten in the OL, I myself have left a plate or two on a table.

I also dropped plates and glasses on that counter, especially when I had something on the fly and had not even sat down in the lounge.

More disturbing to me, though, is why you call the place I've described as imaginary.

What, you think I'm a dream-state ship designer?

I appreciate sarcastic humor as much as, or more than the next guy. But your statements here are gratuitously inappropriate.

I've had a great deal of respect for your posts on this board and agree with most of what you've written and admire your extensive cruise knowledge - until now.

19 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I merely was suggesting a "civilized" approach to reducing the clutter in the OL.

While not having extensively eaten in the OL, I myself have left a plate or two on a table.

I also dropped plates and glasses on that counter, especially when I had something on the fly and had not even sat down in the lounge.

More disturbing to me, though, is why you call the place I've described as imaginary.

What, you think I'm a dream-state ship designer?

I appreciate sarcastic humor as much as, or more than the next guy. But your statements here are gratuitously inappropriate.

I've had a great deal of respect for your posts on this board and agree with most of what you've written and admire your extensive cruise knowledge - until now.

Here we go. 🍿

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, CptJLMcCrea said:

No doubt. Take us back to the days when they gave us drunks shotguns to shoot clay pigeons off the back of the ship.

Yes please to the clay pigeons!!! I am disappointed I missed those days of cruising...plenty of things from those days I'm glad I missed out on. Of course I understand why we're no longer shooting off the aft of a ship, but oh that would be a great way to spend the afternoon!! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

They also had coffee stations set up on each side of the Waterfront, also starting at around 6am.

Hopefully they don't remove these spots for coffee, as I'll be looking for them on Getaway in a couple of months.

I can report that there were still coffee and pastries at the Waterfront at 6:00 a.m.last week on the Encore!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I can report that there were still coffee and pastries at the Waterfront at 6:00 a.m.last week on the Encore!

I've enjoyed it on Encore, Joy and Escape.

Found it by accident on Escape back in 2018. Was working out with my cousin at 5:45am the first morning and suggested we cool off walking the Waterfront and, voila, we found the coffee stations.

I didn't discover the setup in Spice until I sailed Joy for the first time, 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

there is no picking going on here.

i was simply pointing out, as several others have, that - at least up to now - there has been no place to drop plates in the OL. it wasn't built to accommodate that. instead, it has a full service crew that goes about the lounge picking up after guests. that's the way NCL operates its observation lounges.  

if you have chosen to designate a place to drop your stuff, it's a testament to how good the crew is that they don't reprimand you, and that they pick your stuff up soon after its dropped. so, too, kudos to the passengers who don't roll their eyes when you attempt to return dirty plates to a relatively clean and sanitized food distribution area.

i assure you there is no sarcasm here. i have never seen a "dirty plate drop off" in the observation lounge on any ship. and i said so... and i'm saying so again. i further went on to state that whoever might pick up plates at the "dirty plate drop off" area could surely also go about the lounge and pick up plates scattered hither and yon. that was the full extent of my post.

if no "dirty plate drop off" area exists, then indeed it must be imaginary. of course, once you designate a place to drop your stuff, it is no longer imaginary... it's a physical place that you have chosen to drop your stuff. that doesn't mean that NCL has an area to drop used plates, utensils and half eaten food.

why is everbody's knickers on cruise critic in such a twist?

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

The last couple of weeks there's definitely been an uptick in aggressive postings!

The greatest legal mind of our era has been on here stirring the pot and, I believe, was the reason for a couple of our most humorous threads to be locked.

Just saying...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

The last couple of weeks there's definitely been an uptick in aggressive postings!

The greatest legal mind of our era has been on here stirring the pot and, I believe, was the reason for a couple of our most humorous threads to be locked.

Just saying...........

The creature of the Sea has been out circling victims too...but it's certainly not a different environment than normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

The creature of the Sea has been out circling victims too...but it's certainly not a different environment than normal.

I feel like there's so much content on these boards to create a TV series...with cheerleaders, naysayers, doomsdayers, lurkers, challengers, extroverts, introverts, and the occasional bomb thrower...each episode would explore and debate a new topic from CC. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I feel like there's so much content on these boards to create a TV series...with cheerleaders, naysayers, doomsdayers, lurkers, challengers, extroverts, introverts, and the occasional bomb thrower...each episode would explore and debate a new topic from CC. 

Wow!! Now that is one heck of a business idea! Hahaha, you're oh so right! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Maybe we could rent the old cheerleader and shark costumes from Saturday Night Live?  We could have "The One Where the Shark Eats the Cheerleaders"!

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Maybe we could rent the old cheerleader and shark costumes from Saturday Night Live?  We could have "The One Where the Shark Eats the Cheerleaders"!

It frightens me that I know what you are referring to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's winter school break, some of us rather be somewhere else instead, keyboard warriors on the move ... why not chill out, take a deep breath and settle down to relax. 

Have one of these 😸😁🫢 

Screenshot_20231112-101847.thumb.png.31ba7ba3c9347e58c59f4839f087196f.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i was simply pointing out, as several others have, that - at least up to now - there has been no place to drop plates in the OL. it wasn't built to accommodate that. instead, it has a full service crew that goes about the lounge picking up after guests. that's the way NCL operates its observation lounges.  

if you have chosen to designate a place to drop your stuff, it's a testament to how good the crew is that they don't reprimand you, and that they pick your stuff up soon after its dropped. so, too, kudos to the passengers who don't roll their eyes when you attempt to return dirty plates to a relatively clean and sanitized food distribution area.

I agree that the OL is intended to be full service with staff picking up plates.  However, I believe @cruiser2015 is referring to the area that you see starting around 1:05.  While definitely not intended for piling of dishes, it seems like a reasonable place to put them if you wanted to clean up after yourself and not a clean sanitized food distribution area.

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

there is no picking going on here.

i assure you there is no sarcasm here. i have never seen a "dirty plate drop off" in the observation lounge on any ship. and i said so... and i'm saying so again. i further went on to state that whoever might pick up plates at the "dirty plate drop off" area could surely also go about the lounge and pick up plates scattered hither and yon. that was the full extent of my post.

if no "dirty plate drop off" area exists, then indeed it must be imaginary. of course, once you designate a place to drop your stuff, it is no longer imaginary... it's a physical place that you have chosen to drop your stuff. that doesn't mean that NCL has an area to drop used plates, utensils and half eaten food.

You have well stated your position.

However, kindly allow me elaborate, just a tiny bit.

I am certainly not saying there is a designated drop zone or receptacle for a plate drop.

What they do have, at least on the Bliss, is a counter several feet long, roughly 12-15 inches deep.

Sunk into this counter are about 3 stainless steel trash containers spaced several inches apart, with just a rim resting on the counter.

Now, consider there is a trash depository - fairly close to the entrance of the OL. Why would it be there?

Is it not reasonable to drop a plate or a glass on that counter (absolutely not on any food service area ever)? 

Also, why did they create that "trash counter"? It would only be used by passengers departing the OL.Also note that the buffet has absolutely ZERO in the way of trash containers or any drop zone - thus requiring you to leave anything you have used on the tables as the only option. So, there is a slight deviation between the two facilities.

The designated clean-up crew sweep this area along with the rest of the lounge. I'm not even suggesting that everyone should always bring ALL of their leavings up to the front - just that it is a possibility to do it at times.

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I agree that the OL is intended to be full service with staff picking up plates.  However, I believe @cruiser2015 is referring to the area that you see starting around 1:05.  While definitely not intended for piling of dishes, it seems like a reasonable place to put them if you wanted to clean up after yourself and not a clean sanitized food distribution area.

Thanks - my point exactly.

I don't know what you meant by the 1:05 reference - the counters I speak of are built in - they are there 24/7.

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You know, I never thought I'd see the day where people wanted even more food on a cruise ship.  Yet, here we are.

Now excuse me, I need to go load up on bacon from the Garden Cafe!

Oh my... but I would have to climb up one additional flight of stairs to the buffet (Deck 15 to Deck 16). 

• Haha 2

I personally think this has nothing to do with food plates being left........this decision is clearly about saving money. Oh and wasn't that buffet part of the OL that was removed during dry dock to make way for cabins? Could that be the reason. All that being said, they could at least have a coffee and beverage station maybe with muffins and danish for afternoon snacking. I bet the removal of food will make for lots of available seating now. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1