“Legendary” cruise

Toad

33 minutes ago, Toad said:

What are the criteria necessary for HAL to designate a cruise as LEGENDARY?

According to the website:

(1) 

What are Legendary Voyages?

We are thrilled to showcase our longer cruises that weave the ceremony and splendor of Grand Voyages into immersive 25- to 59-day itineraries, carefully crafted to ensure that the journey enriches the destination. 

(2)

What makes a voyage legendary?

Sweeping journeys. UNESCO World Heritage sites. Itineraries rooted in our 150+ history. Experience the iconic, the undiscovered and everything in between. 

ETA: I had this tab open in my browser, hence my mystical ability to answer so fast!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 10

17 minutes ago, Toad said:

What are the criteria necessary for HAL to designate a cruise as LEGENDARY?

I wish I knew. We are booked on a 43 day Auckland to Seattle voyage next year and it is not "Legendary" so clearly length of cruise isn't the criteria. But it does seem those who are on these "Legendary" voyages are getting something closer to what the long time HAL loyalists would consider the HAL standard.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I wish I knew. We are booked on a 43 day Auckland to Seattle voyage next year and it is not "Legendary" so clearly length of cruise isn't the criteria. But it does seem those who are on these "Legendary" voyages are getting something closer to what the long time HAL loyalists would consider the HAL standard.

Strange. The 43 day, starting in Auckland, is not titled Legendary, but the 29 day part of the journey from Sydney to Seattle is! My thoughts are that the Legendary part starts in Sydney and HAL views the stage from Auckland as a collector segment. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Toad said:

So maybe one doesn’t know until they board?  Thank you, I guess we will have to wait and see….

They are listed as such on the Holland America website. 

image.thumb.png.40ac5a90fb265e64503c6ecde0cfc2a2.png

Click on "Book a Cruise" and then select "Specialty Cruises"...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Here is another strange...the 2024 28 day Alaska Artic Circle Cruise(RT Seattle) is listed as Legendary however, the same cruise in 2025 is not?????  

We just booked the 2025 Alaska Arctic Circle cruise and it says Alaska Legendary when I sign into my booking to "manage" it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We just booked the 2025 Alaska Arctic Circle cruise and it says Alaska Legendary when I sign into my booking to "manage" it.

I will look at this area.  Thank you.  It is not on the heading of the square on the HAL booking site like some of the others are.  

We are booked on a Legendary voyage in January.  Before I booked I called HAL and asked.  I was told it’s a regular cruise but to more out of the way places.   

I have a friend who is on on a Legendary voyage now to Hawaii and the South Pacific.  No different itinerary than we’ve done before on a regular voyage.  She said there’s an extra entree choice at night and then she said we have these extra meals that are special for their  journey.  She thinks the entertainment is better but when I’ve seen the dailies it looks like same old same old.  To me the special dinners are just a way for HAL to charge more to eat seafood in the Lido.  We had that on the Koningsdam a couple years ago and they were begging people to sign up for it.  When we did a quick walk by it looked like hardly anyone did it.  I would not be inclined to pay an extra $76 to eat seafood from a buffet although it’s probably good.  I’ve already paid for my meal in my cruise fare, thank you.  

She did say they are having lobster 3 times on their 35 day voyage.  When we booked our upcoming cruise the price was $6,000 more (both included Have it all) for the same length cruise (28 days)to the same area of the world.   In HAL’s mind they’ve come up with a way to charge more by putting a fancy name on it.  

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 6.47.13 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I would not be inclined to pay an extra $76 to eat seafood from a buffet although it’s probably good.  I’ve alr

The seafood boil has been on all of my cruises the past year including my far-from-legendary 7 day repositioning cruise

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, travelholics said:

Strange. The 43 day, starting in Auckland, is not titled Legendary, but the 29 day part of the journey from Sydney to Seattle is! My thoughts are that the Legendary part starts in Sydney and HAL views the stage from Auckland as a collector segment. 

I am looking at our booking, which is actually a B2B because we added the 29 day segment at a later date. It does not say "Legendary" in the description. I have been reading on the thread by @richwmn who is on a "Legendary" voyage at this time and apparently the entertainment has been quite good so far and they seem to be enjoying themselves. They also got very nice tote bags, I mean really who wouldn't want a "Legendary Voyage" tote bag?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

The seafood boil has been on all of my cruises the past year including my far-from-legendary 7 day repositioning cruise

C'mon Mary. Cruising long distance all the way  from San Pedro to Catalina on a 2000 passenger cruise ship was kind of legendary. Doesn't happen that often.

Particularly when arriving at Santa Catalina the fog was so thick we could not even see the island ......26 miles across the sea. It was a legendary Camelot moment, when finally Avalon appeared through the mists.

• Haha 6

I stand corrected, as I said my booking says nothing about "Legendary Voyage"; but the HAL website is listing it as one. I guess we'll know for sure when we find the "Legendary Voyage" tote bag in our stateroom. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am looking at our booking, which is actually a B2B because we added the 29 day segment at a later date. It does not say "Legendary" in the description. I have been reading on the thread by @richwmn who is on a "Legendary" voyage at this time and apparently the entertainment has been quite good so far and they seem to be enjoying themselves. They also got very nice tote bags, I mean really who wouldn't want a "Legendary Voyage" tote bag?

richwmn is on a Grand Voyage.  I believe the Legendary cruises are step up from the regular cruises, and the Grand Voyages are another step up from Legendary.  But that's a guess on my part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alberta Quilter said:

richwmn is on a Grand Voyage.  I believe the Legendary cruises are step up from the regular cruises, and the Grand Voyages are another step up from Legendary.  But that's a guess on my part.

You are correct. 
We are on the 94-day Grand Australia and New Zealand with Rich @richwmn now. 
Our Cruise Director recently told us that the “Legendary Voyages” will have *some* of the same perks etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Sounds as if a lot of perks and extras are the difference, maybe a few different ports and or overnights.   When I look at the pricing for some of these Legendary cruises the pricing seems to indicate you pay less (sometimes much less) for a regular cruise with very similar itineraries.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Now I'm just confused, someone is on a "Legendary Voyage" because they posted a picture of the all important tote bag. It was quite nice (as far as cruise ship tote bags go).

@OlsSalt I have to guess that you are high in the exalted order between "Legendary" and "Grand" and look at all those days for your Mariner status 😉. The fact you choose not to mention that in your posts makes your comments more relevant to me.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Now I'm just confused, someone is on a "Legendary Voyage" because they posted a picture of the all important tote bag. It was quite nice (as far as cruise ship tote bags go).

@OlsSalt I have to guess that you are high in the exalted order between "Legendary" and "Grand" and look at all those days for your Mariner status 😉. The fact you choose not to mention that in your posts makes your comments more relevant to me.

Well….the price is not as exalted.  I find overall grands are almost 2x per diem as a standard cruise and my 2 now-lengendary cruises, formerly ultimate cruises are about 1.3 times the per diem. So you pay for that luxury tote bag but not as much as you pay for the grand cruise satchel. 

• Like 1

So I have discovered the source of my confusion. @Mary229 posted a photo of the "Legendary Voyage" tote bag on another thread and I mistook that as a post from the OP showing the lovely tote they got from the cruise they were on. What "Legendary Voyage" did you get that from Mary?

Edited by Blackduck59

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I have discovered the source of my confusion. @Mary229 posted a photo of the "Legendary Voyage" tote bag on another thread and I mistook that as a post from the OP showing the lovely tote they got from the cruise they were on. What "Legendary Voyage" did you get that from Mary?

I got that on the current RT from San Diego to Hawaii and Tahiti.   It was not listed as legendary when I purchased it but it was called ultimate or something else. My room steward said this is a brand new hot off the presses design. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I got that on the current RT from San Diego to Hawaii and Tahiti.   It was not listed as legendary when I purchased it but it was called ultimate or something else. My room steward said this is a brand new hot off the presses design. 

What’s the verdict on your Legendary cruise?   Are you seeing things that make it more special and worth extra cost?  Besides the special bag of course.  

1 hour ago, Riversedge said:

What’s the verdict on your Legendary cruise?   Are you seeing things that make it more special and worth extra cost?  Besides the special bag of course.  

I will let you know when I finish.  We are just now in Hawaii for a bit longer before going to Tahiti.  There is a live thread here in the HAL board if you want to skim 

• Like 1