Norwegians shocking demise of quality on all fronts

JT222

On 3/9/2024 at 4:40 AM, birdie16 said:

We just booked our first NCL cruise in years and after reading this thread I’m wondering if we are making a mistake. We have cruised over 35 cruises, 3 on NCL. Our experiences on NCL we would rate good, horrible and good, in that order. Even on the horrible cruise, POA, we still had a good time.

All the cruise lines we’ve been on have gone down hill after Covid. Making cuts and charging more. The most shocking to me is how much the gratuities are on NCL! In fact, we probably wouldn’t have booked NCL because of that, but we just got a deal on the Breakaway we couldn’t refuse.

We love being on a ship and enjoy the entertainment and the food. The ports are kind of secondary for us. For the most part, if you really want to experience a place you need to be there more than a few hours.

Making cuts then raising the DSC does bother me.  I don't feel that the raise was necessary, but the crew does work hard to provide us with a great cruise experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Making cuts then raising the DSC does bother me.  I don't feel that the raise was necessary, but the crew does work hard to provide us with a great cruise experience.

Yes, but NCL should be paying their wages, not us.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

well, the same could be said of almost every frontline restaurant worker in the USA, but that's not the way the system works. NCL employees' compensation package is highly dependent on tips and whatever small portion of the OSC (formerly DSC) they are given.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Yes, but NCL should be paying their wages, not us.

You are always paying the wages of an employee of a company you do business with.  If NCL did away with DSC and increased the fare,  you would still be paying for their wages.  There are no free lunches. The customer always pays.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You are always paying the wages of an employee of a company you do business with.  If NCL did away with DSC and increased the fare,  you would still be paying for their wages.  There are no free lunches. The customer always pays.

I am aware of that. I feel it is unfair business practice to advertise cheap fares, then tack on huge gratuities. I would rather have the full cost posted up front. It’s as deceptive as the hotels that charge huge “resort fees”.

Edited by birdie16
  • Like 3

We have been on numrous NCL cruises and always enjoyed them.   We especially like the different foods offered in the buffet - Indonesian etc.   A nice change from regular buffet food.

We just booked another NCL cruise for November and they offered the "Have it all" package.   What I find a little annoying is the service charge we have to pay to use it.  For the beverage package the added on service charge for the 2 of us for 17 days in about $800.  Not exactly "free at  sea" and another thing that bothers me is that cappucino or latte are not included in the package.  I think we will decline the beverage package.   We don't drink $23 each per day so its not worth it to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

It bothers me as well and I’m weary of NCL cheerleaders with how the cruise industry suffered because of covid and didn’t get bailouts! Well they didn’t get bailouts because they are all registered in Bahamas of which they avoided US wage laws and rode  that gravy train for decades, paying serf wages that were only supplemented for the crew by tips from passengers. 

I’ve said before the only way NCL or any of the other main stream cruise lines to sit up and take notice is if bookings dropped significantly and doesn’t look like that is going to happen anytime soon. So it’s the consumers choice to either put up and shut up or find another vacation sadly 

• Like 2

I'll add something since the other thread on this topic was closed . . . 

It seems well known that NCL allows you to bring wine aboard - there is a written policy.  

Yet, the contract of carriage bans all outside alcohol.  

So which is it?  Someone started a policy allowing wine but did not modify the cruise contract to allow wine - which essentially gives complete discretion to the company to ban wine - 

It's this kind of irrational stuff that drives consumers crazy about travel companies - airlines, cruise companies, car rentals and hotels.  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

We don't drink $23 each per day so its not worth it to us.

that's possible, but how many drinks a day do you drink?

most alcoholic drinks are $12 - $15. so, a $15 drink will cost you $18 with gratuity added. if you have one drink and a soda, you've covered the daily gratuity on the beverage package. if you have two alcoholic drinks, you've surpassed it.

5 minutes ago, erisajd said:

It seems well known that NCL allows you to bring wine aboard - there is a written policy.   Yet, the contract of carriage bans all outside alcohol.  So which is it?

it's abundantly clear that NCL allows wine to be brought onboard (and with no corkage fee if you have a beverage package). its clear to most that "alcohol" in NCL's contract  means "spirits."

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, birdie16 said:

I am aware of that. I feel it is unfair business practice to advertise cheap fares, then tack on huge gratuities. I would rather have the full cost posted up front. It’s as deceptive as the hotels that charge huge “resort fees”.

It's not deceptive since you know full well of these add ons.

Do you believe that if these fees were done away with that those cheap fares would not increase by the same amount plus various taxes?  You might as well complain about a grocery store adding on state and local taxes.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UKstages said:

but those who have traveled recently, in particular those who take three or four or more cruises a year, seem to have noticed a sharp decline in the product, especially within the past six months or so.

I take three or four or more cruises a year and have noticed no such "sharp decline."  I last sailed in December.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

delighted to hear this! NCL is apparently making cutbacks and service reductions only on some ships. that is very good news indeed.

please share:

on which ship in december of 2023 did they do 2X daily housekeeping outside of the haven?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they offer bailey's in the regular drink package, without an upcharge?

on which ship in december of 2023 were you able to get veuve cliquot outside of le bistro?

on which ship in december of 2023 did le bistro offer the filet without an upcharge?

on which ship in december of 2023 were you able to get room service without paying a $9.95 fee?

acknowledging that you may have prepaid your onboard service charge, on which ship in december of 2023 did NCL charge the same OSC as the DSC charged the previous year?

on which ship in december of 2023 did you find towel animals in your cabin?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they offer smoked salmon in the buffet?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they have the same number of staff members onboard that they had the previous year?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they offer comparable entertainment to that which they offered a year earlier?

now, it's entirely possible that none of these declines in product or service affected you. you may not care about any of them, which is, perhaps, why you may have noticed no such sharp declines.

that doesn't mean they haven't taken place. i can assure you that they have. whether you've noticed them or whether they impact you and yours only influences your personal value proposition when evaluating NCL as a viable cruise line for you.

it has no bearing on the stark reality... objectively, all these things have occurred. candidly, a lot of folks are not as forgiving - or as blind to the changes - as you.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's not deceptive since you know full well of these add ons.

Do you believe that if these fees were done away with that those cheap fares would not increase by the same amount plus various taxes?  You might as well complain about a grocery store adding on state and local taxes.

Of course the fares would go up. My point is they are not fooling anyone. If all the cruiselines would do away with this practice, it would be easier to compare without all the math. I believe it’s time to end the gratuities and include it in the fare. This is my opinion, you have yours. I’m not stupid, I know I’m still paying the same amount. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Of course the fares would go up. My point is they are not fooling anyone. If all the cruiselines would do away with this practice, it would be easier to compare without all the math. I believe it’s time to end the gratuities and include it in the fare. This is my opinion, you have yours. I’m not stupid, I know I’m still paying the same amount. 

Unless all the cruise lines did the same, you still wouldn't be able to make comparisons would you?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Unless all the cruise lines did the same, you still wouldn't be able to make comparisons would you?

With the current situation, we know that NCL has some of the industry’s highest gratuities. That fact alone could turn people away, it’s kept us away. We recently booked because of a great price advertised, now we are second guessing that decision. After the cruise, we will decide if the extra nickel and diming is worth it to us. 

34 minutes ago, UKstages said:

delighted to hear this! NCL is apparently making cutbacks and service reductions only on some ships. that is very good news indeed.

please share:

on which ship in december of 2023 did they do 2X daily housekeeping outside of the haven?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they offer bailey's in the regular drink package, without an upcharge?

on which ship in december of 2023 were you able to get veuve cliquot outside of le bistro?

on which ship in december of 2023 did le bistro offer the filet without an upcharge?

on which ship in december of 2023 were you able to get room service without paying a $9.95 fee?

acknowledging that you may have prepaid your onboard service charge, on which ship in december of 2023 did NCL charge the same OSC as the DSC charged the previous year?

on which ship in december of 2023 did you find towel animals in your cabin?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they offer smoked salmon in the buffet?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they have the same number of staff members onboard that they had the previous year?

on which ship in december of 2023 did they offer comparable entertainment to that which they offered a year earlier?

now, it's entirely possible that none of these declines in product or service affected you. you may not care about any of them, which is, perhaps, why you may have noticed no such sharp declines.

that doesn't mean they haven't taken place. i can assure you that they have. whether you've noticed them or whether they impact you and yours only influences your personal value proposition when evaluating NCL as a viable cruise line for you.

it has no bearing on the stark reality... objectively, all these things have occurred. candidly, a lot of folks are not as forgiving - or as blind to the changes - as you.

Keep beating that dead horse. You have made your opinion abundantly clear. Others disagree with you. You do not accomplish anything by repeating yourself over and over and over and over. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

We have been on numrous NCL cruises and always enjoyed them.   We especially like the different foods offered in the buffet - Indonesian etc.   A nice change from regular buffet food.

We just booked another NCL cruise for November and they offered the "Have it all" package.   What I find a little annoying is the service charge we have to pay to use it.  For the beverage package the added on service charge for the 2 of us for 17 days in about $800.  Not exactly "free at  sea" and another thing that bothers me is that cappucino or latte are not included in the package.  I think we will decline the beverage package.   We don't drink $23 each per day so its not worth it to us.

That’s always a choice.  Some don’t see the value.  They correctly do not take FAS.  

Personally, I have a Bloody Mary, a couple of beers in the afternoon, a couple of Bourbons one before and one after dinner. and some sort of night cap.  I’d easily exceed the $22/day/pp the FAS charges for tips.

Plus, it’s significantly less than either Carnival or Royal’s packages!

But, if you don’t drink more than 2 drinks per day, don’t do the FAS!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

With the current situation, we know that NCL has some of the industry’s highest gratuities. That fact alone could turn people away, it’s kept us away. We recently booked because of a great price advertised, now we are second guessing that decision. After the cruise, we will decide if the extra nickel and diming is worth it to us. 

Since you agree that incorporating the gratuities into the cruise fare would only increase the amount of the fare by a similar amount, how would incorporating those gratuities affect  your decision?  The total cost of the cruise is not changed by incorporating the gratuities. 

BTW, every cruise line is guilty of 'nickel and diming'.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, UKstages said:

Wow.  That was a long one!  Only one of those affected me in the slightest (the increase to DSC), but inflation is happening everywhere and I can easily afford it.  I will repeat that I have seen no "sharp decline in the product" (your words).  My last cruise had some of the best musicians I've ever experienced.  The ship was sparkling (Pearl) and I had a fantastic time.  Breakfast and lunch in the MDR were better than ever.  Bartenders were great.  Cabin was always cleaned promptly.  Fantastic holiday value!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Not trying to dissuade you, but have you compared the total out of pocket compared to the other similar cruise lines, dates and itineraries?

• Like 2

To sum up the entire thread (independent of the overblown drama built into the title as clickbait):

What is familiarity breeds contempt syndrome?
The ancient saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt," posits that as our familiarity with something or someone deepens, our initial warmth can wane, giving rise to negative sentiments and attitudes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wow.  That was a long one!  Only one of those affected me in the slightest (the increase to DSC), but inflation is happening everywhere and I can easily afford it.  I will repeat that I have seen no "sharp decline in the product" (your words).  My last cruise had some of the best musicians I've ever experienced.  The ship was sparkling (Pearl) and I had a fantastic time.  Breakfast and lunch in the MDR were better than ever.  Bartenders were great.  Cabin was always cleaned promptly.  Fantastic holiday value!

2nd that.  Welcome back!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1