Balcony or interior?

For $300 I would get the balcony if you tend to spend time in your room.  If you're just in it to sleep, I would use the $300 toward something else.

I love balcony cabins because I get up really early and my husband likes to sleep in.  I can get up, get my coffee, and hang out on the balcony with a good book until he gets up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zaylyn2590 said:

To summarize my detailed question. Should I get a balcony or an interior room? The balcony is about $300 more... I usually sail interior because room doesn't really matter but for 300.... 

Kind of a no brainer.

$300 is very little for an upgrade like that.

Is it just you? What ship?

8 minutes ago, zaylyn2590 said:

Its me and my 7 year old daughter on the getaway in March. Bermuda destination 

It would probably be nice to sit out on the balcony after putting your daughter to bed at night.

We're sailing Getaway in April.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, zaylyn2590 said:

To summarize my detailed question. Should I get a balcony or an interior room? The balcony is about $300 more... I usually sail interior because room doesn't really matter but for 300.... 

$300 is a great price for a balcony

I got a balcony on my first cruise, a family cruise. Every other person in our group had cruised multiple times prior, always in inside cabins. They all said the same thing - that you don't need a balcony because you're never in your cabin anyways

I think this was backwards. It's not that you're okay with an inside cabin because you're never in it. It's that you're never in it because it's an inside cabin. They had cause and effect reversed. 😎

For me, having access to an outdoor spot and sea view all to yourself, without any crowd, is a big reason to cruise. I get a few bottles of wine for the cabin, and every evening I run up to the buffet and make a cheese and fruit plate. Then I spend quiet time before bed having wine on my balcony with my cheese and fruit plate.

Watch the balcony location. The advertised upcharge made be for the cove or pocket balconies near the front of the ship. These are balconies without glass railings, cut out of the hull with more limited sea views. The price for a "regular" balcony is likely to be only a bit incrementally higher than $300

it depends on how many days in ports, AND the sail away times.  If the sail away times are around 5pm every day, i would not go for the balcony.  By the time you get back from shore, freshen up, it's time to have dinner.  Won't be out on balcony until after dark.  If you want a view, go with a cabin with a picture window.  I Have cruised in all types of cabins, inside - suite's.  The sail away times and how many sea days makes my decision.  But I will never sail less than outside with picture window again.

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

it depends on how many days in ports, AND the sail away times.  If the sail away times are around 5pm every day, i would not go for the balcony.  By the time you get back from shore, freshen up, it's time to have dinner.  Won't be out on balcony until after dark.  If you want a view, go with a cabin with a picture window.  I Have cruised in all types of cabins, inside - suite's.  The sail away times and how many sea days makes my decision.  But I will never sail less than outside with picture window again.

One of my favorite things I use the balcony for it at night, put on my pajamas and sit out there, so peaceful.

I would save the money and go for an Inside.  You will probably be in your cabin very little except for sleeping, showering and changing clothes.  Use the money for a special excursion that your daughter would love.  You can only built very special memories while they young.  No one knows what the future may hold, make this cruise as special as you can.

I’d take the balcony just for the cabin layout even if I never used the balcony.  

The sofa area and the larger desk area across from it makes it so much better than an interior.  

I always book an interior and either bid on an upgrade or purchase one if the price is right.  If you purchase the upgrade you also get the additional specialty dinner…so it works out a bit better.

Thats a reasonable price difference between the inside and balcony ( and you get to pick your location vs bidding to upgrade ).   With three people, I think you will enjoy the extra space even if you don't think you would use the balcony that much.  I think you will enjoy the balcony more than you think on that itinerary since its not really port intensive.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

One of my favorite things I use the balcony for it at night, put on my pajamas and sit out there, so peaceful.

of course that depends on time of year and also itenarary. There would be no sitting out in your pajamas on the cruises I've been on in Fall, Spring and even January to Bermuda.  During the day maybe, but not at night unless you wear a parka

For $300 I would definitely go for the balcony although some have pointed out, some balconies are not ideal. I think your 7 yr old daughter would like it too.  Usually when trying to decide the price of the balcony is much greater which a factor for anyone on a budget.  I understand some are not and that's great

35 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

of course that depends on time of year and also itenarary. There would be no sitting out in your pajamas on the cruises I've been on in Fall, Spring and even January to Bermuda.  During the day maybe, but not at night unless you wear a parka

We’ve taken several cruises from nyc to the Bahamas, 3 times in November, once in may, used the balcony a lot. We have a large wrap around porch here at home, if it’s over 60 we are happy to sit out there.

no contest... hands down a balcony. its amazing, pulling into a port and seeing the city from your balcony. i have taken (imho) some of the best photos i have ever taken from my balcony. it's also (at least for me) watching a sunset over the ocean from the balcony absolutely breathtaking.

also, after a shore excursion, or on a sea day, its nice just to sit on the balcony and watch the world drift by

8 hours ago, zaylyn2590 said:

We’ve been cruising for over 29 years and over 50 cruises and many were inside, hardly ever in the room but now we do get balcony or ocean views often. Makes it better when sickness onboard as post pandemic travel seems more problematic than before. $300.00 would make sense. Sometimes certain websites include free gratuity with balconies, just got off getaway and had a balcony included free tips! Bjs club booking like costco