Apex problems

SharonK

1 minute ago, SharonK said:

I've heard on other boards that there have been a lot of itinerary changes on Apex and people think it might be a mechanical problem.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Source please. Haven't read anything  yet on CC. 

I've been watching Apex recently on Cruise Mapper -  They show the current location and also speed.     They hare and have been cruising at 18 Knots which is the normal cruising speeds of all the ships.   I've have on occasion seen them crank it up to 21 Knots which is close to max to catch up when a ship has had a medical emergency.

I believe the rumor of problems came about due to some of the summer Norwegian Cruises having ports skipped or modified due to slower speeds.   I believe these are speed restriction being put in place to limit sea life and whale destruction.      The same thing happened last year along the California West Coast due to migration.

image.thumb.png.31384fd1139f981ecb9078331082bf60.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've been watching Apex recently on Cruise Mapper -  They show the current location and also speed.     They hare and have been cruising at 18 Knots which is the normal cruising speeds of all the ships.   I've have on occasion seen them crank it up to 21 Knots which is close to max to catch up when a ship has had a medical emergency.

I believe the rumor of problems came about due to some of the summer Norwegian Cruises having ports skipped or modified due to slower speeds.   I believe these are speed restriction being put in place to limit sea life and whale destruction.      The same thing happened last year along the California West Coast due to migration.

image.thumb.png.31384fd1139f981ecb9078331082bf60.png

Thanks Jim.

20 hours ago, SharonK said:

If I had seen the other thread I wouldn't have asked!

You are good and many others have done the same.  No biggie.  The CC Mod Squad would take action to combine or remove your thread if warranted. Obviously not. 

20 hours ago, SharonK said:

If I had seen the other thread I wouldn't have asked!

Sharon, you are an experienced poster.  You could take a look at the last couple pages before starting a new thread or better yet do a search using a keyword- in this case Apex.

It is not a big deal.

Slower ship speeds are being mandated in whale migration areas like US West Coast and Europe.  APEX also did have an engine issue a bit ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

From what I've read, I think it's being questioned for two reasons: (1) at least one or more Apex Caribbean itineraries in the fall have been adjusted, and (2) no other line has made itinerary changes if this is some sort of Norway regulation that affects all lines.

What follows from those points seems to be mostly speculation as to why this might not be just a Norway speed restriction regulation issue.

Edited by PH2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, PH2 said:

From what I've read, I think it's being questioned for two reasons: (1) at least one or more Apex Caribbean itineraries in the fall have been adjusted, and (2) no other line has made itinerary changes if this is some sort of Norway regulation that affects all lines.

What follows from those points seems to be mostly speculation as to why this might not be just a Norway speed restriction regulation issue.

In addition the Silhouette out of Rotterdam haven't had their Norway itineraries altered, in time maybe they will? 

Some itineraries are missing Nordfjordeid entirely and being replaced with Bruges. That's quite a disappointment for those planning this sailing for the Norwegian Fjords. 

As of now it remains a mystery, time will tell

Patty 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PH2 said:

I have two Apex cruises booked this year, one for July which I had a notification of the change in port times but then also one for Dec 7, this has no changes which I believe is after it goes into dry dock I believe.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe the rumor of problems came about due to some of the summer Norwegian Cruises having ports skipped or modified due to slower speeds.   I believe these are speed restriction being put in place to limit sea life and whale destruction. 

It's not that, because the TA I am on in May (specifically, Bruges port time was shortened) has a similar restriction - and we aren't getting anywhere near Norway.

People more knowledgeable than myself speculate (and it seems quite reasonable) that there is normal and routine diesel engine maintenance being done - which can occur during ship cruise operations, and not necessarily during a dry dock. This takes an engine "offline" for weeks to months (it gets essentially rebuilt in situ, apparently). This places natural limits on the amount of electricity that can be generated at max usage - hence the limits.  

And like I said in the other topic - I am fully ready to enjoy my 13-day TA in May, with zero concerns about any of this. If we are 1 or 2 knots slower across the Atlantic at times, I won't even notice. Still going to have a great time.

Edited by tscoffey