Anyone Else Leaving or Considering Leaving RCL Over Prices?

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Given current prices, this may be as close as I get to going on Wonder of the Seas.

From Jetty Park yesterday, in your neck of the woods, I believe….

IMG_6282.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6286.jpeg

Yup, definitely.  Just 20 miles from our home.  No hotels, rental cars, or flights needed.  😉 

We used up one of our freebie certificates to be on Wonder again 2 weeks ago (very convenient for only a one week cruise).  This is how we waited to board next door at Grills. 

😄 

20240225_095646 (1).jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Where do you book your rentals and how do you find them? Is it Airbnb? VRBO?

I've used sykescottages.co.uk for UK and Ireland rentals.

I've used VRBO for Denmark and England.

I've used booking.com for England, Denmark, Spain, and Italy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Yup, definitely.  Just 20 miles from our home.  No hotels, rental cars, or flights needed.  😉 

We used up one of our freebie certificates to be on Wonder again 2 weeks ago (very convenient for only a one week cruise).  This is how we waited to board next door at Grills. 

😄 

20240225_095646 (1).jpg

Great picture!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 10:10 AM, A&L_Ont said:

Currently in the process of booking a Sandals over a cruise for our anniversary in July.

We can fly business to Antigua, stay in a butler room with transfers for just what a suite costs on a RC ship.  The cruise cost doesn’t include airfare, pre-cruise hotel, specialty dining, Ubers or a drink package.  We are hoping that the price bubble with break with RC but who knows when that will happen. It makes it an easy decision even though we love to cruise. 

Sitting in YYZ airport as we speak awaiting my connection to YVR… just returning from my 15 day Gate1 “Discovery” small group

tour within Morocco. 

$5000US taxes in for two people, also included CFAR insurance within 72 hrs of departure, all breakfasts/ 10 lunches/ 12 dinners. All tours (think excursion dollars) everyday, dedicated concierge tour guide travelled with us throughout. I stayed in a 5 star Riad in Fes, 5 star Sofitel in Casablanca, great accommodations etc etc. also includes free time on many of the days to Explore on our own.

So what is the cost for 15 days on any Royal suite these days for 2 weeks? Be sure to add internet costs, insurance, specialty dining, etc…. And you never get to actually experience sitting in the Sahara Desert to witness the sunset

in a cruise.

I’ve been posting for a few years now that the RC has been Nowhere close to the best value for a vacation experience. Really glad you and others are seeing this as well.

IMG_7486.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 13

I was the loyal to royal team.

I have the credit card and a cruiseaway to be diamond

like 2 years ago I tried celebrity bc royal was 2 expensive and I loved it.

I know celebrity is not the same , it can be more boring for millennial but overall way better than royal.

my upcoming cruises are with celebrity for 2024 and probably 2025

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

I know celebrity is not the same , it can be more boring for millennial but overall way better than royal.

Understand your vibe.

We do not need water slides, dry slides, Merry Go Rounds, climbing walls and everything that would be fabulous for a young family with children. Royal is moving towards a younger target crowd and we understand the demographics.

Boring with no drama is good for us!

I feel you in your quiet lounger watching the sea go by. We all have our own style.

😁

• Like 4

We are trying Celebrity in 2026. Same company, not a real change. Pricing is better, for a longer cruise and a better itinerary, rather that Royal's mediocre, short ones. 

• Like 2

Yes, land based trips are great...and sometimes cheaper (though if you really add everything in...is it?).   

But why choose?   Why not mix it up and do both?  We do.  😉 

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yes, land based trips are great...and sometimes cheaper (though if you really add everything in...is it?).   

If you eat three meals, including snacks, desserts land based trips quickly add up.  

On top of that most land based trips either require travel time to and from meals or preparing meals/cleaning after.  Easily can add up to 2+ hours every day. 

27 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

If you eat three meals, including snacks, desserts land based trips quickly add up.  

On top of that most land based trips either require travel time to and from meals or preparing meals/cleaning after.  Easily can add up to 2+ hours every day. 

And, not just the overnight stay...but also add in possible rental car, transfers, flights, wine/booze/beverages, admission fees, restaurant meals, buying food to consume, tips, etc.   

Indeed it all adds up.  $$$

Though I do like my land based trips, I still love to cruise.  This last cruise took us through the Carib, Mexico, Central America, all the way down the coast of South America, Antarctica, around the horn, back up the other side of South America/Central America to LA.    I could not have done that with a land based trip...not to mention the logistics of packing/unpacking/packing up again.  😉 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

We are trying Celebrity in 2026. Same company, not a real change. Pricing is better, for a longer cruise and a better itinerary, rather that Royal's mediocre, short ones. 

Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity are two separate cruises lines owned by the same parent company, Royal Caribbean Group. Saying they are the same company, is like saying Outback Steakhouse and Fleming’s Steakhouse are the same company because they fall under the same parent company, Bloomin’ Brands. The experience at Outback is different than the experience at Fleming’s just like the experience on Celebrity is different than the experience on an RCI shop. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We booked Royal over Carnival due to Royal being less expensive AND having far better port options for our 9 day cruise in April.   But, we booked 9 months ago so maybe we just caught a good deal.  We like Royal better based on the only other Royal Cruise we had 6 years ago, but money does talk for our household so our future cruises will largely depend on ports and fares.  We have friends who cruise Royal only regardless of the cost. Just love it and not ready to even consider leaving.  

On 2/29/2024 at 5:45 PM, crazyfrazee said:

My cruising history started with Carnival. I was a cruise away from turning platinum when they did me wrong. I left and didn't think I'd ever go back. I switched to Royal and became platinum and have really enjoyed cruising with them until they went crazy with pricing. I know "pricing" has been beat to death on here!

I booked Carnival Celebration which is less than 2 years old, 183,000 GT, 7 day cruise in an ocean view suite for only $3100. The room has a divider so it's like 2 rooms with 2 large screen tv's. 

Anyone else looking at other cruise lines until the prices come back down with Royal?

Back to your original question, we have three upcoming cruises (May '24 - April '25) that we had booked early on when the deals were there, so we were OK with what we were paying for those. Then as you mentioned, everything seemed really expensive for a while.

So when the 2026 dates for the Wonder first became available a few weeks ago, I was surprised at how reasonable the prices were. Those deals lasted just a few days, but we were fortunate enough to book on the first day and were able to get a Star Class suite and all of the perks (ultimate dining, deluxe drink packages, Royal Genie, etc.) for less than $400 per person per night (four people in the cabin).

So for now we're good with those bookings, and not looking elsewhere yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

We booked Royal over Carnival due to Royal being less expensive AND having far better port options for our 9 day cruise in April.   But, we booked 9 months ago so maybe we just caught a good deal.  We like Royal better based on the only other Royal Cruise we had 6 years ago, but money does talk for our household so our future cruises will largely depend on ports and fares.  We have friends who cruise Royal only regardless of the cost. Just love it and not ready to even consider leaving.  

6 years ago Royal was a much different experience. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 11:10 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

Understand your vibe.

We do not need water slides, dry slides, Merry Go Rounds, climbing walls and everything that would be fabulous for a young family with children. Royal is moving towards a younger target crowd and we understand the demographics.

Boring with no drama is good for us!

I feel you in your quiet lounger watching the sea go by. We all have our own style.

😁

and the food at celebrity is wow, I was in the harmony maybe 2 years ago and the food was so bad for such a good ship class that I was in shock. Thats when I left royal for celebrity, I have done equinox x3 , another semi big fish that i canr remember the name and silo something the food is always great.

• Like 1

Just spent a truly memorable week in Siem Reap, Cambodia, and visited many of the magnificent temples including Angkor Wat.

We have visited the Pyramids, the Great Wall, Ephesus, Macchu Piccu...the intricately carved stone walls of Angkor Wat...IMHO...gets the gold medal.

Cambodia was safe, and the people friendly. Many 5-star hotels if that's what you're looking for.

Food...absolutely cheap.

Draft beers 50 cents, Rum and Coke 1 dollar, Mojitos 1 dollar...most dishes were under 8 bucks for TWO people.

Laundry=$1per kilo...folded, prompt, and a beautiful scent of lemon grass.

Note: Cambodia was extremely hot and humid...but we were prepared for it.

* We are currently enjoying the lovely beaches in Bali...saw Celebrity Solstice docked yesterday. All I can think of was: "How much of Bali will they see?" Happy Easter.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, island lady said:

OMG...awful!   Will the chef's refund my money?!!   😄 😄 

The episode started with Beef Wellington.  Not a fan so I turned it off.  You could ask!!!

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, mcatmcat said:

We still go back and forth. Like both cruise lines but Celebrity is definitely a better overall product. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Just spent a truly memorable week in Siem Reap, Cambodia, and visited many of the magnificent temples including Angkor Wat.

We have visited the Pyramids, the Great Wall, Ephesus, Macchu Piccu...the intricately carved stone walls of Angkor Wat...IMHO...gets the gold medal.

Cambodia was safe, and the people friendly. Many 5-star hotels if that's what you're looking for.

Food...absolutely cheap.

Draft beers 50 cents, Rum and Coke 1 dollar, Mojitos 1 dollar...most dishes were under 8 bucks for TWO people.

Laundry=$1per kilo...folded, prompt, and a beautiful scent of lemon grass.

Note: Cambodia was extremely hot and humid...but we were prepared for it.

* We are currently enjoying the lovely beaches in Bali...saw Celebrity Solstice docked yesterday. All I can think of was: "How much of Bali will they see?" Happy Easter.

Last year, we did DYI land trip visiting Vietnam,Malaysia, Jakarta, Siem Reap and Bali. Yes….Friendly people, delicious cheap food and beautiful scenery, sites… Angkor Wat was amazing! Spent a week in Bali…relaxed on the beaches and visited the beautiful waterfalls, temples on the island.

Absolutely agree…. Although we love cruising, there are some places in the world that you can’t cruise to and land trips are great. 
Enjoy Bali! 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 6:51 AM, island lady said:

We are starting to mix it up now that we’ve retired.  However most land vacations are not less. Once you book a hotel, food, gas, admissions to places it does add up.  We struggle with where to eat every night on land and then there’s no entertainment but a TV most evenings. If you fly and rent a car to get around then the price really goes up.

All that said we are shopping around and looking for the best prices pp/per night.  Jr suites and up are pretty much off the table anymore and we’re even booking some ocean views due to prices.  Our budget isn’t bigger so higher prices do affect us. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are starting to mix it up now that we’ve retired.  However most land vacations are not less. Once you book a hotel, food, gas, admissions to places it does add up.  We struggle with where to eat every night on land and then there’s no entertainment but a TV most evenings. If you fly and rent a car to get around then the price really goes up.

All that said we are shopping around and looking for the best prices pp/per night.  Jr suites and up are pretty much off the table anymore and we’re even booking some ocean views due to prices.  Our budget isn’t bigger so higher prices do affect us. 

Totally agree.   Our upcoming stay next month at a winery guest house, adding in vehicle rental, visiting fees, food purchase (to cook ourselves) restaurant visits, beverages, etc..etc...add up to more than a cruise for that amount of time for us.   

• Like 1