Wonder of the Seas -- Traditional Dining Question

Posted (edited)

We are signed up for traditional dining at 5:00.  As many others have said, there is some disappointment that the time is 5:00 instead of 5:30.

How close to 5:00 do we have to be?  If we wander in between 5:15 and 5:30, is anyone going to say anything?  Is there a cutoff time when they say it's too late and send me to the Windjammer?  Thanks.

Forgot to add that it is a table for two so no one at my table would be held up

Edited by nicknack

19 minutes ago, nicknack said:

Is there a cutoff time when they say it's too late and send me to the Windjammer? 

The host may give away your table to some MTD customer after some time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think @firefly333 touched on the concern in terms of holding up service.  But I am going to take it another direction as you indicate that you will be at a table for two.  The scheduled times are not just for the convenience of the passengers, they are also to keep a pace for the servers and preparers as there are other scheduled times to follow yours. 

If you are consistently late you will be compressing the timing of the servers who will already, as example, be serving appetizers to the rest of the room when you are just arriving.  This, IMO, could be inconsiderate to the servers who now will have to alter the intended pace to accommodate you.

If you don't want to consistently arrive until 5:15 or 5:30, my suggestion would be to consider scheduling My Time Dining, so that you can arrive at your convenience.  You also can just arrive at MTD without reservations and wait until a table opens.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

On some ships (I believe it was like this on Allure in October but my memory is awful) you will see 5:00-5:15pm posted outside the MDR for early seating. My understanding is you're really supposed to be there within 15 minutes of the start time. As mentioned above, showing up significantly late just messes up everything (for both staff and guests). It's banquet-style dining, not a restaurant. Courses are meant to come out at roughly the same time for everyone.

Edited by OCSC Mike

If I remember correctly, MTD starts at 5:15. They hold tables until that time then start giving them away. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you don't want to consistently arrive until 5:15 or 5:30, my suggestion would be to consider scheduling My Time Dining, so that you can arrive at your convenience.  You also can just arrive at MTD without reservations and wait until a table opens.

I understand your point about the servers.  But you are mistaken about MTD being possible for 5:15 to 5:30.  My understanding is that MTD doesn't even begin until about 6:30 or 7:00 and that as a practical matter you can't even get in until after 7:00.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, nicknack said:

I understand your point about the servers.  But you are mistaken about MTD being possible for 5:15 to 5:30.  My understanding is that MTD doesn't even begin until about 6:30 or 7:00 and that as a practical matter you can't even get in until after 7:00.

I did not suggest a time and only mentioned MTD as an alternative to consider.  In our experience MTD on RCCL starts at 6:00, and we have done MTD numerous times well before 7:00.   But I'm not debating that point only suggesting that as an alternative to consider so as to not potentially inconvenience the servers.  Do as you wish with your arrival times - the MDR will always try to accommodate you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

48 minutes ago, nicknack said:

I've gone once onboard and when I had anytime asked for 515 or 530 and gotten a table. You need to ask for a earlier time after you board. Cant book it yourself online.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nicknack said:

We are signed up for traditional dining at 5:00.  As many others have said, there is some disappointment that the time is 5:00 instead of 5:30.

How close to 5:00 do we have to be?  If we wander in between 5:15 and 5:30, is anyone going to say anything?  Is there a cutoff time when they say it's too late and send me to the Windjammer?  Thanks.

we just got off the Wonder a couple of weeks ago and our dining time was 5:00pm.  There was a sign posted indicating your table would be held until 5:15 and after it would be given away…..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We were told three weeks ago on Wonder MTD without reservations started at 8:15pm. They gave us a business card with 8:15 written on it, and were told to come back then. It didn’t really make a difference if you had reservations or not. Both lines got mixed together and were sent to deck 3 for overflow tables. Johnny Rockets staff were filling in as MDR waiters since it was overcrowded and the line was out to the elevators. Your only option is the 5pm table or 8:15pm-9pm. Anytime in between that you won’t just wait in line, in my experience you get turned away. 

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

We've been on Royal twice post Covid, on the Anthem and the Oasis.  Both times MTD started at 630 and if you didn't have reservations, you were waiting in a line that was massive.

Have also sailed on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, NCL and MSC post COVID and all of these lines handle their versions of MTD substantially better than Royal.

Honestly being a little late to the MDR 5pm time rarely gets given to a my time dinning person. Most chose MTD because they don't want to eat before 6pm to 630pm. The rule I believe is 15 minutes late. But I've arrived at 525pm and still had my table and zero MTD people yet in lobby. 

• Like 1

Early dining is 5 pm.  Grace period lasts until 5:15.  After that you have missed your reservation and your table may be given to other guests.  On a recent Wonder cruise, at about 5:20 MTD guests were seated at an empty two top near us.  At about 5:30, a couple walked up and stared blankly at the occupied table.  Awkward.

• Like 1

Putting time aside, here's what you need to know.  

Traditional dining is tightly scheduled; that is, everyone at all tables gets appetizers at the same time, then entrees at the same time ... the kitchen /their pick-up lines are set up to do it this way.  If you choose Traditional dining, you should be on time.  It's what you're signing up for.  People will arrive a little early and wait for the doors to be opened.  

On the other hand, My Time Dining is more like going to a restaurant.  You might be starting your appetizers while the people at the next table are finishing their dessert.  Their pick-up lines are set up differently.  

On 3/4/2024 at 5:41 PM, jbrinkm said:

I hate that they keep advertising 5:30pm and then switching it to 5:00pm once you are on board. 

It's a Royal bait and switch. It's been going on like 14 months now. Everything I have for May says 530, but I know it's going to be 5pm. LOL.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, nicknack said:

You would be saying something like... Why did you give away my table... 

I saw a YouTube video showing MTD people lining up at 4:45 hoping to get a table at 5:10 from no shows to early traditional. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

You would be saying something like... Why did you give away my table... 

I saw a YouTube video showing MTD people lining up at 4:45 hoping to get a table at 5:10 from no shows to early traditional. 

That is why on Oasis they have a sign up that MTD without reservation my NOT line up before 7:30 pm!

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 11:53 AM, nicknack said:

Not true in that MTD can start at 515 if the people with early dining are consistently late and they give their table away because they constantly show up late 😏

IMO it’s inconsiderate to the servers to do that, the WJ has most of the same foods as MDR and you can go there at 515 or 530

Edited by lovesthebeach2

Again, most people choose MTD because they don't want to eat at five o'clock. 3 trips last year and never saw anyone waiting by the doors bet 5 and 530pm. 

Now if you are more than 30 minutes late....well, you get what you get. But the crew in the dining room would rather you showed up late rather than not at all. They do however expect you to take what ever is available if your table is already given away. But they fear loosing tips, so I've found they prefer anytime vs not showing up at all. Just don't give them grief if you have to be relocated for the evening.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

Again, most people choose MTD because they don't want to eat at five o'clock. 3 trips last year and never saw anyone waiting by the doors bet 5 and 530pm. 

Now if you are more than 30 minutes late....well, you get what you get. But the crew in the dining room would rather you showed up late rather than not at all. They do however expect you to take what ever is available if your table is already given away. But they fear loosing tips, so I've found they prefer anytime vs not showing up at all. Just don't give them grief if you have to be relocated for the evening.

On our recent Wonder cruises, early dining was overfilled.  On two different Wonder cruises we had confirmed (not waitlist) early dining on our invoices (and doubled checked later verbally with rep) yet on day one of the cruises we were told we were in MTD instead because early dining was over requested.  We were not the only ones; there was a line of people at the MDR, many with same issue.  It was a hassle getting it fixed both times.  I’m sure people who were waitlisted for early dining did not get it.  So your assumption that everyone who has MTD reject 5pm is incorrect.

Also, just because You did not observe a line at the MTD kiosk between 5 and 5:30 does not mean people were not waiting.  Once their cabin numbers are taken and they may asked to have a seat in the waiting area.  

The crew fears offending guests (even when the guests are wrong), so if you miss your dining time they will probably scramble to accommodate you.  When you arrive late, find your table occupied, and stand there looking like a jerk in front of everyone who arrived on time, you force your waiter to drop everything to scramble to take care of your tardy party, trying to find another table.  That takes the waiters time and attention away from the rest of his guests.  Once seated, having arrived late, your meal is out of sync with the other early diners.  By showing up late, you have made the waiter’s job harder and delayed service for the guests who arrived on time.  

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

On our recent Wonder cruises, early dining was overfilled.  On two different Wonder cruises we had confirmed (not waitlist) early dining on our invoices (and doubled checked later verbally with rep) yet on day one of the cruises we were told we were in MTD instead because early dining was over requested.  We were not the only ones; there was a line of people at the MDR, many with same issue.  It was a hassle getting it fixed both times.  I’m sure people who were waitlisted for early dining did not get it.  So your assumption that everyone who has MTD reject 5pm is incorrect.

Also, just because You did not observe a line at the MTD kiosk between 5 and 5:30 does not mean people were not waiting.  Once their cabin numbers are taken and they may asked to have a seat in the waiting area.  

The crew fears offending guests (even when the guests are wrong), so if you miss your dining time they will probably scramble to accommodate you.  When you arrive late, find your table occupied, and stand there looking like a jerk in front of everyone who arrived on time, you force your waiter to drop everything to scramble to take care of your tardy party, trying to find another table.  That takes the waiters time and attention away from the rest of his guests.  Once seated, having arrived late, your meal is out of sync with the other early diners.  By showing up late, you have made the waiter’s job harder and delayed service for the guests who arrived on time.  

Oh well.... that's me told. LOL.

As far as not many people wanting to eat at 5pm I'm right, your wrong. Gotta go by what I personally experienced.

As far as showing up late in general. I'm not advocating for it. Just pointing out all the facts as I see them. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DennysDad said:

Oh well.... that's me told. LOL.

As far as not many people wanting to eat at 5pm I'm right, your wrong. Gotta go by what I personally experienced.

As far as showing up late in general. I'm not advocating for it. Just pointing out all the facts as I see them. 

I did not say that people really adore dining at 5:00, but when Royal Caribbean presents its current options to Wonder passengers, many select early traditional dining if they like the other current options even less.  

I’ve told you what I have experienced on multiple Wonder cruises.  People frustrated with MTD often learn they can come at 5:15-5:45 to join early dining at a vacant table.

It has been reported that Royal Caribbean roll out three traditional dining seating times in the near future.  If and when that happens, the middle fixed dining time may become quite popular (drawing people who otherwise variously selected early and late or MTD).  The pattern may change.

Edited by Starry Eyes