Sun Princess

1 minute ago, 555 said:

Thanks.

I'm then to assume that the price and food are the same, the only difference being is the seating location. Is that correct? 

It seems to be unlike any other Princess restaurant setup and has me totally confused. 

No,  they are two totally different food experiences. The Teppanyaki is where you are all sitting around a hot plate and the chef cooks your food in front of you usually doing some theatrics and tossing of food. If you have the right table mates it can loud and boisterous. The Hot Pot is where you order raw food and YOU cook it in the pot of either hot water or oil (I think). Search on you tube as some folks have done videos on it. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

No,  they are two totally different food experiences. The Teppanyaki is where you are all sitting around a hot plate and the chef cooks your food in front of you usually doing some theatrics and tossing of food. If you have the right table mates it can loud and boisterous. The Hot Pot is where you order raw food and YOU cook it in the pot of either hot water or oil (I think). Search on you tube as some folks have done videos on it. 

This was taken 3 weeks ago.

The hot pot tables are located around two sides of the restaurant.

There was 4 Teppanyaki hot plates accommodating 8 people.

IMG_8197.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 555 said:

Thanks.

I'm then to assume that the price and food are the same, the only difference being is the seating location. Is that correct? 

It seems to be unlike any other Princess restaurant setup and has me totally confused. 

The price is the same, but the food is different.  Teppanyaki food is prepared on a grille in front of you.  Hot Pot has a pot in the centre of the table with broth.  You put the ingredients in the broth to cook.  There are videos on YouTube if you search Sun Princess Specialty Dining YouTube.

(I should have read ahead- others have responded already)

Edited by Abercrombie2019
Didn’t read ahead… 🥸
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

SUN P - any current / recent patters?

Boarding tomorrow so will try and upload some.

If anyone has any burning questions then do ask. We are in a penthouse suite and hopefully getting a decent suite experience before the Sanctuary Collection changes 😆 

Edited by dides
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

The price is the same, but the food is different.  Teppanyaki food is prepared on a grille in front of you.  Hot Pot has a pot in the centre of the table with broth.  You put the ingredients in the broth to cook.  There are videos on YouTube if you search Sun Princess Specialty Dining YouTube.

(I should have read ahead- others have responded already)

Thanks for the info.

I should have watched the YouTube video's first. 

It doesn't look to exciting but I'll see what's avail on the ship after we board and if there isn't any other restaurant open we'll give it a shot.

I'm hoping that the head waiters might have something available that isn't reserved ahead of time.

With this new Premier package it's getting harder & harder to book restaurants lately.

• Like 1

The Hot Pot doesn't interest me but the Teppenaki was a nice experience that I hadn't experienced on the ship.  I wish we had better table mates.  None of us really interacted with each other.  We basically conversed with the people we came with.  There were other tables having more fun.

Oh, and don't fill up on the fried rice!!!  They cook the rice then the vegetables and then the meats.  You supposed to eat as you go along.  They make SO much rice that I was full by the time the meats came.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

The Hot Pot doesn't interest me but the Teppenaki was a nice experience that I hadn't experienced on the ship.  I wish we had better table mates.  None of us really interacted with each other.  We basically conversed with the people we came with.  There were other tables having more fun.

Oh, and don't fill up on the fried rice!!!  They cook the rice then the vegetables and then the meats.  You supposed to eat as you go along.  They make SO much rice that I was full by the time the meats came.  

I very rarely eat potatoes, rice or bread on a cruise ship. It's the fillers that I avoid & concentrate on all the select items. 

The Sun Princess seems to be cursed.

Park 19 debacle,

rearranging all the restaurants

and now I read they have been unable to go to Kotor for a whole season

Not official but have read elsewhere that somehow they didn’t realise they couldn’t get so many people tendered from ship to shore at that location

’operational issues with tendering process’ is official line. with shore excursion staff telling passengers the ‘ship’s too big’ to go there

well we are booked to go in august. It’s a different ship to the one we booked, and it’s going who knows where 😂 😂 

I’m sure I’ll enjoy it but wow. What a mess

perhaps they should change its name too. Just to see if that stops the chaos 😂 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Park 19 debacle,

Not official but have read elsewhere that somehow they didn’t realise they couldn’t get so many people tendered from ship to shore at that location

’operational issues with tendering process’ is official line. with shore excursion staff telling passengers the ‘ship’s too big’ to go there

well we are booked to go in august. It’s a different ship to the one we booked, and it’s going who knows where 😂 😂 

Princess and the people who were involved in the design and building of this ship should all be fired.

Never have I read about so many changes.

However, I have only been cruising since 1986 and have over 180 cruises on the major cruise lines. 

Disgusting, YOUR FIRED!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, asctony said:

Princess and the people who were involved in the design and building of this ship should all be fired.

However, I have only been cruising since 1986 and have over 180 cruises on the major cruise lines. 

Disgusting, YOUR FIRED!

Let include the software dept. responsible for that wonderful app. 

1 hour ago, asctony said:

Disgusting, YOUR FIRED!

how many SUN P and STAR P did you have to cancel??? - wow, what a mess, huh?  which cruise line(s) did you replace those cancelled cruises with?  that'll show 'em

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how many SUN P and STAR P did you have to cancel??? - wow, what a mess, huh?  which cruise line(s) did you replace those cancelled cruises with?  that'll show 'em

I refuse to get worked up about the changes etc.  Alot of passengers are having wonderful cruises on the Sun. I am going with a positive attitude and ignoring the downers. . Yes, it is unacceptable roll out and people can cancel if they made them miserable.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Park 19 debacle,

If I can offer some advice, don't sweat the changes. We had a fantastic week on board the Sun earlier this year. It's a great ship, with a lot of what you know and hopefully like about Princess and some new additions. Crew, entertainment, food all on good form.

Park 19 is a tiny part of the ship and while it's probably embarrassing for Princess it didn't work, it's 1% of the deck space. Kotor is a beautiful port, and the sail in is spectacular, but I believe Bar where they are docking now is not far away and excursions there still possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Leo37 said:

If I can offer some advice, don't sweat the changes. We had a fantastic week on board the Sun earlier this year. It's a great ship, with a lot of what you know and hopefully like about Princess and some new additions. Crew, entertainment, food all on good form.

Park 19 is a tiny part of the ship and while it's probably embarrassing for Princess it didn't work, it's 1% of the deck space. Kotor is a beautiful port, and the sail in is spectacular, but I believe Bar where they are docking now is not far away and excursions there still possible.

We were in Bar last month and IMHO it was a ££££hole!

Excursions to Kotor are no substitute for the wonderful sail in and out of the Kotor lake.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2024 at 5:41 PM, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

In my experience the YC has the most generous amenities of all the lines when you consider the price (for perspective - our sailing on the Sun Princess is $20,400 for our family of four in a Vista Suite vs $7,900 for a similar sailing in the YC, but the YC comes with access to the thermal spa, 24/7 butler access, and a long list of other things not included in the Sanctuary on Princess).

Is this for October sailings by any chance? 

13 hours ago, Leo37 said:

no problem, it’s good advice. I definitely think we’ll enjoy it. I have an 11 yr old and luckily she’s not too bothered about park 19. We have enjoyed both the Sky Princess and Enchanted without it

as for a lack of Kotor- it’s a real shame because that was a main reason we chose the week we did. Hopefully it will happen but if not, well there is always another time. We’re in the UK so it’s far easier to get to than for those of you disappointed who have traveled 8hrs or more. I feel for you so much more.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Park 19 debacle,

Notwithstanding the taboo of changing a ship's name I agree with you and nominate "Surprise Princess" as the new moniker beginning for Caribbean cruises. This rolls off the tongue better than Mysterious Princess, Evolving Princess, or Exiled Princess.

I see that some folks are a little bit worked up about all the changes going on aboard the Sun. She's the first in her class, new design, and you have to expect some teething issues.

I decided to gift my wife a bucket-list cruise aboard her next May, doing the Italy to Greece itinerary. The new Sanctuary class intrigued me enough that I decided to upgrade from a cove balcony with the Plus package  to a Sanctuary Balcony as they were having a special going and the price was right.

I get a kick out of all these videos and blogs of people complaining because their cruise experience wasn't a perfect 10. I say be grateful that you have your life, your health and the financial means to be able to go on one of these vacations. I work 80 hours/week, and I will definitely enjoy my time with my wife on our once-in-a-lifetime trip.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

I see that some folks are a little bit worked up about all the changes going on aboard the Sun. She's the first in her class, new design, and you have to expect some teething issues.

I decided to gift my wife a bucket-list cruise aboard her next May, doing the Italy to Greece itinerary. The new Sanctuary class intrigued me enough that I decided to upgrade from a cove balcony with the Plus package  to a Sanctuary Balcony as they were having a special going and the price was right.

I get a kick out of all these videos and blogs of people complaining because their cruise experience wasn't a perfect 10. I say be grateful that you have your life, your health and the financial means to be able to go on one of these vacations. I work 80 hours/week, and I will definitely enjoy my time with my wife on our once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Agree!!👍 

We will be having the time of our lives!

• Like 3