discounted cruise websites

zebs

Hello 

Has anyone used those online websites that offer discounts on all the cruise ship lines?  I don't think I can list the names of these websites so I wont.  How safe are these sites to book on?  How can they reduce these prices and how do they make any money in doing this?  

8 minutes ago, zebs said:

Hello 

Has anyone used those online websites that offer discounts on all the cruise ship lines?  I don't think I can list the names of these websites so I wont.  How safe are these sites to book on?  How can they reduce these prices and how do they make any money in doing this?  

They book a block of cabins and get a group rate which they pass on. I don’t use those because my travel agent besides giving a lot better service is affiliated with a consortium that books blocks of cabins so she can often offer group rates. You definitely would want to do research about any website.  

• Like 1

We've used several of the big name online website and have never had a problem.  We usually get a better price and on-board credit, sometimes other amenities as well. So far the agents we have worked with have been pretty good.

• Like 1

Years ago, we used to browse different online agent sites.  We found some to be very confusing and hard to navigate (does this price include port fees or not??), and eventually found one that was very clear and straightforward, and easy to navigate.  We used that one for a long time for doing research (same as I used the Sears catalog as a wish book when I was a kid).  We decided to give them a try, and the rest is history.  First time, we call, and are connected with an agent, who becomes our usual agent. When we choose a cruise, we email him, he calls with a cabin and price, we book, he sends us an email confirmation. For us, it works well every time.

Funny story: This agency has a group bookings department, which our agent has used to get us a better price. On one cruise, we found that our MDR table seated 11 people, all of whom came to dinner each night.  The AHW asked us how we all knew each other.  We didn't; we were from all over the country.  Apparently we had been booked as a group, and the cruise line had taken that literally. (It was a great table.)

40 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Years ago, we used to browse different online agent sites.  We found some to be very confusing and hard to navigate (does this price include port fees or not??), and eventually found one that was very clear and straightforward, and easy to navigate.  We used that one for a long time for doing research (same as I used the Sears catalog as a wish book when I was a kid).  We decided to give them a try, and the rest is history.  First time, we call, and are connected with an agent, who becomes our usual agent. When we choose a cruise, we email him, he calls with a cabin and price, we book, he sends us an email confirmation. For us, it works well every time.

Funny story: This agency has a group bookings department, which our agent has used to get us a better price. On one cruise, we found that our MDR table seated 11 people, all of whom came to dinner each night.  The AHW asked us how we all knew each other.  We didn't; we were from all over the country.  Apparently we had been booked as a group, and the cruise line had taken that literally. (It was a great table.)

Wow. I know our TA books groups, but we have never met anyone else from the group. I should amend that to say we never met anyone else who we knew was in the group as it is possible we met some and just did not know that they were booked with the same TA.

I do hope that was an interesting table full of folks.

I used one of the larger online travel companies, and everything went fine.  I did notice that their advertised low fare increased significantly when the "fees and taxes" were added on. 

16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I used one of the larger online travel companies, and everything went fine.  I did notice that their advertised low fare increased significantly when the "fees and taxes" were added on. 

Ours clearly says "based on double occupancy" (which is our default), includes our loyalty status, and states that it includes port fees but not airfare nor taxes.  Any time I log on, the responses are automatically personalized for us.

Yes, it was a great group (or non-group) of passengers. We've probably gotten group rates on other cruises, but never had any reason to sense that we were part of a group.

Posted (edited)

It's really just a tradeoff that each person must judge for themselves.  High discount booking sites or travel agents work on a lower margin and count on volume to make money.  Because of this they simply don't have the time or resources to offer comprehensive post-booking customer support.  Think of them more as order takers than full-service travel agents.  For people who value low prices above all else, this is a good option.  Just keep in mind that you aren't going to get the same level of service after you book as you will from a full-service and knowledgeable travel agent. 

On the other extreme are high-end travel agencies that not only don't offer any discounts or additional perks, but actually charge an additional fee for their services. On the plus side, you can expect these agents to be knowledgeable and willing to "hold your hand" throughout your vacation experience.  This is valuable for those customers who aren't personally knowledgeable about cruising and the various cruise lines and have no interest in spending time researching their options.  These agents are especially helpful when things don't go according to plan.  For example, if your flight is cancelled at the last minute, you give them a call and they will handle making alternate arrangements for you.

At the end of the day, there isn't a right answer as to whether a discount or full-service TA is better.  It simply depends on what a particular customer is looking for.  Personally, I often find that a big box retailer's travel department offers a good middle ground.  They offer a shopping credit for booking with them, albeit not as large as some high-discount agents will offer, but they also tend to be available, responsive and helpful, if not as knowledgeable as full-service TA who specializes in cruising. 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

Just be aware that some of these TAs charge a non refundable “agency fee” and keep it if you cancel. Others charge a “ booking fee” over and above the cruise fare. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I look at the prices on these sites, contact my TA who I regularly use, and they pretty much always match that price or maybe $50 or so more, but  I use them because of the service they provide.

Edited by donnatello