What currency is used on the ship?

Hi there,

Ive only ever cruised where the American dollar is used on the ship.

If my cruise goes from Copenhagen to Norway, Iceland and Scotland, what currency will be used?

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Phaedra_11 said:

Hi there,

Ive only ever cruised where the American dollar is used on the ship.

If my cruise goes from Copenhagen to Norway, Iceland and Scotland, what currency will be used?

Thanks in advance.

What a mish mash of currencies.......ship's currency is US Dollar, Copenhagen will be Danish Krone, Norway is Norwegian Krone (yes it is different!), Iceland is Icelandic Krona (different again!) and Scotland will be British Pounds (Sterling).

Iceland, Denmark and Norway are almost cashless, so now is the time to research a card (debit or credit) with no foreign exchange fees etc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

And almost every place takes US dollars

I feel a 'McEnroe Moment' coming on, but "you cannot be serious?"

Also, Scandanavian countries are almost completely 'cash free' and use cards/electronic payments for everything.  There are places that don't even take their own cash currency never mind a *foreign currency*.  Yes, in Europe and many other places in the big wide world of ours, the US dollar is foreign.  Are there many stores in Dallas that will accept euros? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

They do? News to me...

The police at the pyramids in Egypt offered to take pictures of tourists...they didn't was dollars as a tip, they wanted Euros!

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I feel a 'McEnroe Moment' coming on, but "you cannot be serious?"

Also, Scandanavian countries are almost completely 'cash free' and use cards/electronic payments for everything.  There are places that don't even take their own cash currency never mind a *foreign currency*.  Yes, in Europe and many other places in the big wide world of ours, the US dollar is foreign.  Are there many stores in Dallas that will accept euros? 

When we were in Amsterdam last summer as a cruise port, we had Euros. And almost no place would take them. They wanted only credit or debit cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

When we were in Amsterdam last summer as a cruise port, we had Euros. And almost no place would take them. They wanted only credit or debit cards.

I don't believe that I have had cash transactions in the last 3 years!

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Ditto.  I was just there a few months ago and previously. I had no problem having euros accepted.  Some places required credit cards but those ticket/travel items had been pre-purchased anyways long before I went.

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The same for me!  Even here in the good ol' USofA I haven't used cash since before the pandemic started in 2020.  I've been carrying around the same $20 bills in my wallet for four years!

Also, as I mentioned on another thread about Norway, a couple of the hotels I'm going to stay at in Norway this summer even have posted on their website that they don't accept cash nor have any cash on the premises.  I have my credit cards polished and ready to go!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

I don’t use much cash but always have some with me. 

For those that wrote they haven’t used cash in years, how do you tip people like valets at restaurants and parking garages? Or tips for tour guides? 

16 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

For those that wrote they haven’t used cash in years, how do you tip people like valets at restaurants and parking garages? Or tips for tour guides? 

I haven't taken any tours or had valet parking, I guess!  😉

5 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry… off topic, but… every time I see a pan-handler, I think “I wonder what will happen when no one has cash?”  I must admit, I’m curious to know.

I have read that in Norway anyway, the street buskers/musicians have card readers to take tips!  Smart on their part!  Norway and other Scandinavian countries don't have a tipping culture in general so tipping for tours and taxis isn't expected.

I don't give money to panhandlers in any country.  At home I donate to shelters and organizations that care for homeless which provide services besides just a meal.

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

For European travel? Haven't seen too many valets there. Plus, as has been beaten to death, one doesn't tip for many things in Europe. Or tip very little.

14 hours ago, kazu said:

Ditto.  I was just there a few months ago and previously. I had no problem having euros accepted.  Some places required credit cards but those ticket/travel items had been pre-purchased anyways long before I went.

In Amsterdam, it was museums that would not take cash, though we did finally find one that did take cash, but would have preferred a card. We also had to pay with a card to get a transportation pass, though later we did find a place that would have taken euros.

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

The same for me!  Even here in the good ol' USofA I haven't used cash since before the pandemic started in 2020.  I've been carrying around the same $20 bills in my wallet for four years!

Also, as I mentioned on another thread about Norway, a couple of the hotels I'm going to stay at in Norway this summer even have posted on their website that they don't accept cash nor have any cash on the premises.  I have my credit cards polished and ready to go!!

~Nancy

You are in a different part of the USA than I am. There seem to be merchants here who will take either. but add a percentage fee if paying by card.

There is also at least one auto body shop that will take cash or a check, but will not take a card.

We're currently in Spain. We've been here a couple of weeks. We brought a 10 € bill with us that we had at home. Still have 6€ after using 4 for laundry. As the rest of our rentals have washing machines I doubt we'll use the rest of our cash.

11 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Always challenging. I keep just a few dollars in my (now small) wallet. But for cruises I make sure I get enough cash before departure to tip the tour guides and others onboard.