Why is RC still going to Labadee?

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm pretty sure that we already established the goal to be commondere the jet skis and ride them to Miami with their stash of  genuine Haitian souvenirs taken from the artisans. Let's stick with the facts.

If action movies have taught me anything, zip lines are how you escape with the “treasure”. Preferably with explosions in the background. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Have you considered sending your thoughts to RC instead of posting them here?  It sounds like your concerns and questions are directed at RC. It's highly unlikely they will do anything as a result of you posting your thoughts here.

I have mentioned this to you before. This is a forum to discuss all things cruising. The OP is on topic with this post. Secondly, Royal Caribbean, similar to other Corporations, has staff who monitor social media. I assure you hot topics like this one are being read and discussed internally. This is not an assumption on my part.

Has anyone heard from Tree Skier.  I read on the internet that the prisoners of Haiti had taken over the government in LA, and decided to let anyone who had violated laws that they didn’t like out of prison there.  I am very worried about his safety is a demonstrably dangerous place.😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

There is nothing in Labadie that these guys are interested in.

Decades and decades of cruises stopping in Labadie, and not one single incident, Port au Prince is always on fire or experiencing some other type of sh**show.

Once again, your post is not factually correct. There have been incidents at this port. Everyone is focusing on the gangs attacking the port area. In reality, Labadee has solid structures, food and is a major step up compared to living conditions currently experienced by everyday residents. Therefore, there is a chance residents make seek refuge away from the violence and try to settle in the facility. By the way, as I mentioned over the weekend, and met with laughter, the US Marines did arrive and set up security as well as airlift the embassy staff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of you all act like Royal is not keeping abreast of the situation there and that they are just blindly still sending ships there without any information. You would think that 4,000 armed insurgents are making their way across the country to take over Labadee. Royal is not going to put their passengers in harms way. Haiti has been unstable for years and Royal has in the past temporarily suspended cruises there when there has been issues in the immediate area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Once again, your post is not factually correct. There have been incidents at this port. Everyone is focusing on the gangs attacking the port area. In reality, Labadee has solid structures, food and is a major step up compared to living conditions currently experienced by everyday residents. Therefore, there is a chance residents make seek refuge away from the violence and try to settle in the facility. By the way, as I mentioned over the weekend, and met with laughter, the US Marines did arrive and set up security as well as airlift the embassy staff. 

What incidences? 

the fishing boat floatila a few years ago that was a peaceful protest over fuel

prices?

there have been NO incidences at this port 

58 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Has anyone heard from Tree Skier.  I read on the internet that the prisoners of Haiti had taken over the government in LA, and decided to let anyone who had violated laws that they didn’t like out of prison there.  I am very worried about his safety is a demonstrably dangerous place.😉

So you are saying that the jet skis are headed to LA instead of Miami?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Nolefan95 said:

It has just recently boiled over. This clearly is not a good situation currently unfolding in Haiti. To have tourists in the country enjoying themselves while the rest of the country is being overrun by criminals is, to me, disgraceful to the decent people of Haiti under siege at the moment. Pretty disgusting actually.

Are you saying others should stop living their lives because Haiti is having issues? 🙄  Royal brings money into Haiti which it desperately needs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

On the Adventure docked at Labadee. Gangways are open.The captain just announced that the issues are 130 miles away in port au prince, that only staff and suppliers are allowed access to the area, and if we want to stay onboard that’s ok too… So Labadee is fully operational today. 

Were the water shore excursions canceled today to?

2 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

Well not fully operational - looks like all boating and jet ski etc and cancelled. They’re promoting  the on the grounds activities….

Guess i should have finished reading the thread before i posted . Thanks for the Info.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rolloman said:

I assure you hot topics like this one are being read and discussed internally. This is not an assumption on my part.

How do you know this? 

Edited by time4u2go

22 hours ago, Old and Wise said:

My college age kids are taking the cruise to Labadee today against my advice. Called RC & rep keeps saying “the resort is a private island” which is not true! State Department issued a clear do not travel advisory to Haiti but RC Exec’s are prioritizing profits over safety. Advisory includes kidnapping & possible sexual violence. Law enforcement is sparse due to lack of leadership. ? 

You do realize that these same threats exist at college in the US? Many schools have private police dept, and don't always work with the local police. It's bad public relations for college sexual violence information to get out to the public. 1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men will be sexually assaulted at college on average. I'm pretty sure Labadee hasn't reached those numbers. 

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

As predicted, the interim PM resigned today. That should calms thing down.

looks like US met with other Caribbean nations as well to discuss Haiti situation and US agreed to contribute $100 million towards multinational force to keep the peace. Will be interesting to see when new elections will take place and how the Haitians will receive the transition to new PM

From what I read Monday RCL is watching & constantly assessing in current time! RCL feels they keep you safe in the RCL compound area & ship! It has been noted it is 6 hard mountainous hours to get to the RCL Compound. All excursions outside of their area are canceled til further notice for everyone's safety! 

47 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

looks like US met with other Caribbean nations as well to discuss Haiti situation and US agreed to contribute $100 million towards multinational force to keep the peace. Will be interesting to see when new elections will take place and how the Haitians will receive the transition to new PM

Because we have a spare 100 million hanging around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I will probably regret this, but I hope that cruisers know that the ship is armed.  I have actually witnessed this from my balcony.  We were cruising out of Florida (post 9/11).  A small boat approached us and despite ship horn warnings, kept coming. Security appeared outside of the bridge with long guns.

I very much doubt that RCI arms their security officers.  Most cruise lines do not.  Bahamas does not recommend that ships flying their flag carry arms.  How far out of port were you when this happened?  Because it was most likely USCG Sea Marshals, who have regularly boarded cruise ships since 9/11, and carry long guns.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm heading to downtown Los Angeles tonight...  Keep me in your prayers. 🙂 

I made it home last night.. Thanks for the prayers. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Because we have a spare 100 million hanging around.

I got more bad news. Kenya wants $230M bribe money before it will send 1k cops to Haiti as walking paper targets and cannon fodder. $100M is chump change.

1 minute ago, sfaaa said:

I got more bad news. Kenya wants $230M bribe money before it will send 1k cops to Haiti as walking paper targets and cannon fodder. $100M is chump change.

Why do we have to be the chumps! 🤬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Old and Wise said:

My college age kids are taking the cruise to Labadee today against my advice. Called RC & rep keeps saying “the resort is a private island” which is not true! State Department issued a clear do not travel advisory to Haiti but RC Exec’s are prioritizing profits over safety. Advisory includes kidnapping & possible sexual violence. Law enforcement is sparse due to lack of leadership. Can we count on the paid security to put their lives on the line when confronted by adjacent towns mobs (local Haitians are banned from the area!)? What are the repercussion to RC owners/Exec if their gamble fails? Does the country the ship is registered in has capital punishment? If machete/machine gun yielding mobs put passengers in peril, hopefully they will face severe consequences to send a clear message to the industry. Financial compensation would not reverse the potential loss or prevent future greed driven decisions. They must be personally held responsible. RC, please stop playing with people lives!

Back in 2013 in Labadee, our friends wanted to explore on their own. They were met with a fence with armed guards when they walked to the end of the resort area. I don't think Labadee has ever been really safe.