Can you sail on the Regal Princess out of Galveston going to Roatan with just a Drivers License and a Birth Certificate?

Ed in OKC

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

You left off the fine print at the bottom. Notice the footnote (up arrow) next to Galveston:

• Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, Galveston^ or New York (voyages that do not call to Martinque or Guadeloupe only)

^Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only passports are accepted.

Exactly. I'm glad I caught that little ^ and read further down. The devil is in the details!..

16 hours ago, GK95 said:

See comments #22 and #39 - that may work if no one has personal experience: 

I've learn my lesson. Always read the fine print and it's much safer to get a passport. I called the Princess customer service number 3 times and got agents with heavy foreign accents who told me conflicting answers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, capriccio said:

You left off the fine print at the bottom. Notice the footnote (up arrow) next to Galveston:

• Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, Galveston^ or New York (voyages that do not call to Martinque or Guadeloupe only)

^Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only passports are accepted.

As I shared earlier, my travel summary for an itinerary including Belize and Honduras shows that they don’t require passports. While I personally wouldn’t travel without one, Princess will allow travel with WHTI compliant documents on this itinerary 

IMG_2024.thumb.jpeg.96d73c059ae35e6439a0acfe726238f8.jpeg

Edited by Torfamm

10 minutes ago, Ed in OKC said:

Did you see where there is a ^ next to Galveston and a little further down it says all voyages to South and Central America are excluded and must have a passport? Yes, it mentions Martinque and Guadeloupe but it goes on to say all cruises calling on South or Central America are excluded (from the ID and birth certificate option) and MUST have a passport. We decided not to risk our vacation so we are headed to Dallas, a 3 hour drive for us, and hitting the same day passport office. 

Good call definitely not worth the risk. Things change over time we used to go back and forth between US, Canada and Mexico without quest those days are over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed in OKC said:

Did you see where there is a ^ next to Galveston and a little further down it says all voyages to South and Central America are excluded and must have a passport? Yes, it mentions Martinque and Guadeloupe but it goes on to say all cruises calling on South or Central America are excluded (from the ID and birth certificate option) and MUST have a passport. We decided not to risk our vacation so we are headed to Dallas, a 3 hour drive for us, and hitting the same day passport office. 

Glad you have a solution you can live with. No doubt this google debate will still be going on after you return from the cruise. It would be interesting if whoever checks your passport at check-in has seen anyone just using a birth certificate and license and if there were any issues.

@Ed in OKC I am so relieved to hear that you were able to get an emergency passport before your cruise.  I don’t know how far you have to travel, but it is worth the piece of mind.  

Congrats and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Ed in OKC I am so relieved to hear that you were able to get an emergency passport before your cruise.  I don’t know how far you have to travel, but it is worth the piece of mind.  

Op/ author says they have to drive three hours from I’m assuming Oklahoma City to Dallas. And that’s three hours one way.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 1:03 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

And they have to make an appointment.

On 3/12/2024 at 6:34 PM, tonit964 said:

That is false information. A passport is always the best to have but if you travel with a BC & DL and are a US Citizen, they don’t just keep you in that country forever. 🙄
Sure, it takes a little more work to fly back but you will be flying back home.

Not forever, but you do have to bear the cost of getting an emergency passport or other documentation allowing you to fly and renter the US as well as the cost of any accommodations and other expenses while waiting for those documents.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Not forever, but you do have to bear the cost of getting an emergency passport or other documentation allowing you to fly and renter the US as well as the cost of any accommodations and other expenses while waiting for those documents.

I’m well aware of that and that’s why I responded the way I did.

My point was there are many posters on here that say without a passport you cannot fly home and that is false information. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I’m well aware of that and that’s why I responded the way I did.

My point was there are many posters on here that say without a passport you cannot fly home and that is false information. 

Technically not false since one is required to enter the US by air.

One can go through the process and obtain one while out of the country when something goes wrong so technically they will have the emergency passport when they fly.

2 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Technically not false since one is required to enter the US by air.

One can go through the process and obtain one while out of the country when something goes wrong so technically they will have the emergency passport when they fly.

Which means they can fly home but not without hassle. It is false when posters say they are not able to fly home as in never.