on-line checkin

It's been a few years since we've sailed Royal.  When you are doing on-line check in do they have you pick an arrival time for boarding day like Carnival does?  We are cruising with 2 other couples and want to make sure we can all board the ship together if they do.  Thanks!

Yes.  The check in typically is 45 days prior to sailing and when you do so, there will be 30 minute window time slot options commencing usually at 11:00 and running until the last ending 90 minutes prior to boarding.  You don't have to wait by your phone (or other device) and scramble to be first in as each slot has hundreds of vacancies, but the earlier you do so the better your odds of selecting your preferred time.  

10 minutes ago, lukydog said:

It's been a few years since we've sailed Royal.  When you are doing on-line check in do they have you pick an arrival time for boarding day like Carnival does?  We are cruising with 2 other couples and want to make sure we can all board the ship together if they do.  Thanks!

Yes royal does it at midnight 45 days ahead. Be there at midnight ship time to get the earliest time. Goes fast. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lukydog said:

You pick a time when you do your checkin.  I don't know a way to get the others the same time.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes royal does it at midnight 45 days ahead. Be there at midnight ship time to get the earliest time. Goes fast. 

I am not disputing that many people prefer the earliest times so they do typically book the fastest.  But it isn't quite as bad as Southwest check in and there have been several cruises that we have been on where we (for a number of reasons) did not check in until a couple of days after it opened and still got desired times.  But certainly do so at an early convenience to be sure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

You pick a time when you do your checkin.  I don't know a way to get the others the same time.

Correct.  Each booking has to check in independently, so they should just coordinate times when each party plans to check in.  We have done that a number of times and not had issues.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not disputing that many people prefer the earliest times so they do typically book the fastest.  But it isn't quite as bad as Southwest check in and there have been several cruises that we have been on where we (for a number of reasons) did not check in until a couple of days after it opened and still got desired times.  But certainly do so at an early convenience to be sure.

My oasis cruise I wanted the earliest time but I checked in at midnight texas time, not florida time. By the time I checked in as people were posting their times, I had to take 30 minutes later from all the rest of the group. I forgot it was midnight for the time zone the ship leaves from. Not my time. 

Each to his own. I did want the earliest time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Our next cruise is from LA and don't plan on staying up until 2 am to get an early boarding time, though as we're in a suite isn't really a problem.   The cruises after that leave from Amsterdam so no problem!  6 hr time difference  so midnight there is only 6 pm here. Easy!  Though might be slightly different as they aren't on dst yet.  Whatever,  we'll be fine.

Edited by njkruzer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My oasis cruise I wanted the earliest time but I checked in at midnight texas time, not florida time. By the time I checked in as people were posting their times, I had to take 30 minutes later from all the rest of the group. I forgot it was midnight for the time zone the ship leaves from. Not my time. 

Everyone's experience can vary and I am only providing ours.  And we have been able to get earliest on the day of opening check in. To me, the earliest is nice but not to be sitting at midnight on my computer to do so.  As you say, to each his own.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

49 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You can link your cruises and pick your time for everyone in the group 

Interesting as we were not able to do so with our linked reservations this past December with our Oasis NYE cruise. Maybe I missed something in the app, but each one of us checked in separately as a result.  No big deal as we were arriving at different times anyway.  

15 minutes ago, roupa said:

So…. Embarking in Barcelona, Spain….  Is check-in time Barcelona time or RCCL website “official “ time? 🤣🤔

Midnight where the ship is when you checkin, not where it will be whrn you board.  Not usually a difference.

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Agree, also seen on multiple Cruises where waiting til morning couldnt always get earliest times. I was B2B so didnt matter as I was already on the Ship for 2nd or 3rd leg anyway. 

6 hours ago, roupa said:

So…. Embarking in Barcelona, Spain….  Is check-in time Barcelona time or RCCL website “official “ time? 🤣🤔

Two years ago in May we sailed on Odyssey out of Civitavecchia ("Rome"). The ship was still in Florida when check-in opened. It opened Rome time so 6 hours ahead of EST. I don't know if that still holds true.

20 hours ago, lukydog said:

I checked in at 4:00am the day on-line check-in opened for our B2B cruise on Symphony starting March 31st and did not get a choice of selecting my arrival time - I received 12:30. 

I can check in tomorrow night for my May cruise and have never done it before.  Can someone advise if it just "pops up" in your app or if I need to go somewhere to see the option?  I can do either computer or app so which is better? We are three best friends in one room so I should be able to check us all in (at least to get an arrival time) and then they can go in individually and input any other information such as credit card, passport, info, correct?

12 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

I can check in tomorrow night for my May cruise and have never done it before.  Can someone advise if it just "pops up" in your app or if I need to go somewhere to see the option?  I can do either computer or app so which is better? We are three best friends in one room so I should be able to check us all in (at least to get an arrival time) and then they can go in individually and input any other information such as credit card, passport, info, correct?

Doesn't pop up.  You need to go to app or online, though I've heard Royal prefers app.  Click on checkin and go from there.  Pick time and then you can finish later.

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Doesn't pop up.  You need to go to app or online, though I've heard Royal prefers app.  Click on checkin and go from there.  Pick time and then you can finish later.

But where will the check in option be (like where I currently swipe left and it says Check-in opens March 20th)? 

1 minute ago, erby2283 said:

But where will the check in option be (like where I currently swipe left and it says Check-in opens March 20th)? 

It will be on the bottom, where you currently see it now.

Note:

If you use the app, you can just pick your time and do the rest later.

If you use the web site, you must go through everything (except for picture) before you can pick your time. It's 3 pages in. Passport, Onboard charges CC, Emergency contact, etc.

6 hours ago, erby2283 said:

You are lucky. My App (Same sailing) Says March 19th, but website says March 20th. So going to check at midnight both.

12 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

You are lucky. My App (Same sailing) Says March 19th, but website says March 20th. So going to check at midnight both.

Yes, let’s do midnight (28.5 hours from now and report back). 🤣

1 minute ago, erby2283 said:

Yes, let’s do midnight (28.5 hours from now and report back). 🤣

I'm in. I like to score an early check in time. Since my app says 19th, but website says 20th, I'm starting at midnight tonight to be safe. 

Every trip App vs Website is off by a day, but always sink up by 72 hours before hand. This is first time my app and website haven't. Also first time mine is off from someone else's. Gotta love Royals IT Department. LOL. Let me know how you make out. See ya on board!